Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Journey`s End?

I haven`t the slightest doubt now that this is as far as we are EVER going to go. Like all Evertonians in their mid-twenties, this has been the best season I have experienced.

True, me Da dressed me up to celebrate some of Team Howard`s achievements just after I was born but I think the odd gurgle was my only comment! I got very much into the cause when Joe Royle promised to put us back on the map in 1995 but that all disipated very quickly and generally it`s been more gloom than boom since then.

We`ve won nowt, of course, although relegation has become a word we no longer need the spell-check for. So can we assume/expect this is as good as it will ever go?

My gut feeling is that`s it. Moyes has done a very competent job without inspiring me to think a return to greatness is round the corner. His overall record is a good one but, like so many others, I now recognise that his vision and tactical awareness are too set in his lower league background and inspiration is not a talent he is over-blessed with. `The Organiser` will probably be the most appropriate epithet he will be given when eventually he moves on!

Of course, he is constrained by the funds put at his disposal ? although I somehow think he would not shine even in a Chelsea situation should it ever come to Goodison.... or Kikby.... or wherever Kenwright eventually pitches our tent. You see, I`ve become dubious about the future of our club. I WANT to believe in the manager but have many reservations but as sure as hell, I KNOW the strucure/financing/admin stinks to high heaven.

In short,I`m coming to see that 2007-08 is probably going to be the highground for me and that those of us for whom "yer 'istory" is just that will one day look back and say "We nearly became a big club again in 2008."

So... Journey`s End. I fear so.
Tony  Senter, Wirral     Posted 13/04/2008 at 12:30:40

Comments

Paul Niklas
1   Posted 13/04/2008 at 16:23:18

It ended the day Moyes said he had enough players.

Despite the likes of Cahill missing and Arteta, we have not enough quality nor players to fill roles when top players are injured.

Liverpool always knew they would come good at the business end of the season, we just hoped we would. Big Difference, cash I suppose. Or is it just complacency.

January was a big mistake, in hindsight; Moyes will admit that the supporters knew at the time we would struggle.

Any way we have fight for 5th now, but I am not confident, hope is all we have. Forget the history or the previous 33 games now is all that matters and now we are are not good enough.
Peter Fearon
2   Posted 13/04/2008 at 16:58:03

You are letting our natural Evertonian pessimism take control. The issue here is not how far away we are but how cloe have come. Progress progress progress. It is a journey of feet and yards. We have had a run of draws that should have been wins which would have placed us firmly in 4th. We lost to a first rate Italian club in the UEFA cup on a penalty lottery. That’s how close we have come and we will make further progress next season.
Dave Charles
3   Posted 13/04/2008 at 18:22:12

You will find a lot of Evertonians from different eras can tell a similar tale. Fans from the 50s had to wait for Catterick before they saw success. My dad first took me the season 1969-70 when we won the league. A fourteen year barren spell followed. We had the odd final and FA Cup semi-final to play for but most of it was poor. We stuck with it though, unlike fans nowadays who so easily turn to Old Trafford or Anfield and follow the band from the pub TV set.

To me, silverwear is success not C/L qualification. Spurs have claimed one trophy and Portsmouth may claim another and it shows it still can be done. I ?d rather be in their shoes than finish fourth. I?m hoping for better next season and if the buys are decent ones, who knows what will happen.

I can understand you say about ?yer?istory? and you want to see something yourself, we all do. Keep you head up lad and I?ll piss you off with this, ?Evertonians are born, not manufactured?.
Stephen Kinder
4   Posted 13/04/2008 at 19:19:06

I like David Moyes as a manager he has taken a mid table team and made them contenders to break into the "sky 4". I believe he should consider a No 2 to be one of his top priorites for next season. Someone with tactical ability and euro experience (this is were i’ll get totally slacked off), but my suggestion would be Glen Hoddle. He was doing well with England before losing the plot, also he has a more attacking style than Moysie which should help alot.
Peter Weaver
5   Posted 13/04/2008 at 19:37:54

I suspect Tony may be spot on but that doesn?t stop me HOPING that Davey and Luvey Bill can take us on to the next level. To suggest we?re only Evertonians because we like the pain is ridiculous ? I crave success but think it will be a long time coming.
Karl Masters
6   Posted 13/04/2008 at 19:54:50

Moyesie hasn’t finished yet.

You’d have taken 5th, a League Cup Semi and 8 wins and a draw in 10 European games last August. In fact you would have taken it in October when we were 13th after the Derby.

Some decent Summer signings and a attack minded no.2 will take us further next season. You cannot jump to the top of the stairs, it takes quite a few steps. You can fall down them though so Bill & his merry men need to give him the cash in the Summer.

IMWT
Tony Williams
7   Posted 13/04/2008 at 20:54:29

"Moyes has taken us as far as he can, he can?t take us to the next level" Blah de fucking blah
Terry Maddock
8   Posted 13/04/2008 at 20:49:59

Sooooo...its nearly seasobs end and we aint won the league, any cup or as yet qualified for champions league..
And the doom mongers are out quicker than the 1st April shower...
The same mob who were calling for his head are now the "as far as he can take us " gang...

Be honest with yourselves...we started this season..in a league of 16 teams..it just so happens that another 4 teams play in a different league..financially and to a different rule book...Our neighbours are currently bottom of their league..the league they were going to make the big push for (again).. We are currently top of ours...have had a cup semi final,..the longest winning run in europe ever...more goals and more points, more away wins..and less goals conceded than most contributors( i use that term loosely) have ever witnessed..

Good..? no way... we should be winning things..Spurs can..Cardiff might.?

Are they bigger or better than us..of course not...but as we look down..way down on them , we still hear the voice of discontent...Did you , at the start of the season really expect us to finish 4th?

I took bets at work against the shite in match bets and got a 16 point head start..!!!

End of season trip to spain for me..

In the official asian handicaps you could get 22 points ...

We have done ..and will continue to, make PROGRESS under David Moyes...not every game will be beautiful to watch..but thats football..even Arsenal reverted to hoofball at our place..
I like caviar..its delicious..but I cant afford it..so I buy lumpfish roe..also very tasty..I mean I could buy caviar..but I wouldnt be able to buy a drink to wash it down with..

In the same way.DM..I suspect ..would love to draw up a wishlist of Messi, Ronaldo, Kaka etc..but we couldnt afford to pay their hangers on ..never mind them..

Everton are getting bigger and better every season...Liverpool are s;owly but surely taking backward steps...we will change places soon..half decent officials and it would have been this year..
There is nothing wrong with reaching for the sky...but just because you dont quite get there it does not mean you have failed...
Lets see what the summer brings..or who..
Obviously ,come on and whine and complain when we havent signed any new players by the end of the second week in May...its what you do..
But trust DM to do the right thing..perrenial relegation struggers to European regulars...now he wants the next step as much as we do.......as far as we can go....my arse
Paul Coleman
9   Posted 13/04/2008 at 23:37:07

I’m sorry but I agree with the poster. We will never break the top four again, unless one of them has a very bad season. I watched the Man U game today and we a light years away from them. I compared their players to ours

Hargreaves - Carsley
Ronaldo - Osman
Rooney - AJ
Yakubu - Tevez
Neville - Carrick

Its that little sprinkling of sheer quality that we are missing, but my God its in rare supply and very expensive. The fact is that whilst this board is at Everton, we will never catch up, just tread water spending a modest amount of money each year. I don’t blame Moyes for stipulating a transfer fund figure into his contract, because he knows exactly what I am saying.
Im sick of people saying haha just wait for these new owners to pack up and leave. So fucking what if they do?? People have said that about Abramovic for years and he is still there, whilst their own clubs fall further and further behind.
Its time for Bill to sell the club to someone with the financial clout to actually close the gap between us and the rest.
Andy Callan
10   Posted 14/04/2008 at 10:36:41

I agree.

This is as good as we can hope for.

Does anyone agree with me in saying that Everton will never win the league again...... Unless £100m is spent on the team.

It’s all me fiuckin arse...
Seamus Murphy
11   Posted 14/04/2008 at 12:38:48

More predictions of doom and gloom. Great.
How do you know that we wont make three great signings in the summer that will help us gain an extra, say, 6-8 points next season?
Or that the RS wont implode with all their current wranglings, sack Benitez and have a shit season next seson and we finish in the top 4 and make millions of pounds and add another 2 or 3 top players?
Or that Arsenal don't recover from their current fall from grace? Or that Chelsea?s sugar daddy wont pull out leaving them in a Leeds like scenario?

Now none of this might happen but neither might your prediction of doom. I?m no optimist believe me, years of being an Evertonian has knocked that out of me, but Christ this place is depressing lately!!!!
Robbie Muldoon
12   Posted 14/04/2008 at 12:48:08

1 more season from him to win something I think otherwise look to replace with somebody better. Simple.
Lee Spargo
13   Posted 14/04/2008 at 12:58:31

Cheer up Tony. Keep the faith.