Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

The real battle for 5th....

... will be the game between us and Villa. That's way more important than the game on Thursday!

In all probability we will be comfortably beaten by Chelsea and Villa will win the next game they have so the game between the teams takes on massive significance due to the fact that we then play Arsenal away. I'm counting Pompey out because even Redknapp has admitted that he doesn't care about the league anymore but Villa are bang in form.

They are also somewhat of a bogey team for us in my opinion as some our worst performances in recent memory have been against them! I personally think they'll come to Goodison thinking they can beat us!
Dave Trudgeon, Runcorn     Posted 16/04/2008 at 09:08:30

Comments

Ben Jones
1   Posted 16/04/2008 at 09:13:40

I'm just wondering... if Everton finished 6th and Portsmouth finished 5th and won the FA Cup, would the place in Europe be handed to Everton, because Portsmouth will have already gained a place in the UEFA cup by winning the FA Cup, or would Cardiff get the European spot, because Portsmouth will have gained the european spot by finishing fifth? Can anybody enlighten me with the answer?
Steve Pendleton
2   Posted 16/04/2008 at 14:11:56

Pretty sure Ben that there is a spot allocation to the UEFA Cup through the FA Cup. This would mean that if Pompey finished 5th in the league and won the FA Cup, then Cardiff would get the final place anyway.

If anyone else pips us for 5th, then unfortunately our only avenue is through Intertoto I imagine.
Tom Campbell
3   Posted 15/04/2008 at 21:23:22

I hate to write this but I'm afraid that we could lose 5th spot and not be playing in the Uefa Cup next year?? Like I honestly don't see us beating Chelsea tomorrow, and the VIlla game wil be tough to even snatch a point.

By the way, if Porthsmouth finish 5th and win the FA Cup do we get to play in Europe next year?? Or will it go to Cardiff?

Mark Griffiths
4   Posted 16/04/2008 at 15:00:35

As far as I am aware, if pompey win the FA Cup and finish fifth then 6th will get the Uefa cup spot as Cardiff cannot enter Europe by winning the "English FA Cup".

But to be honest I have looked and looked and looked hard at the remaining fixtures and although it would be just like us to beat Chelski, I keep coming to the same conclusion as follows:-

Current positions:

Everton 61 points
Portsmouth 57 points
A Villa 55 points

Everton rem 3 fix:

Cheslea (L)
Villa (D)
Arsenal (L) leaving us on 62 points going into the last game against the barcodes

Portsmouth rem 3 fix:

City (D)
B?burn (W)
Borough (D)

leaving them on 62 points gpoing into their last game at home to fulhum

Villa rem 3 fix:

Brum (W)
Everton (D)
Wigan (W)

Putting them on 62 points going into the final game at away at West ham.

I really think it will be decided on the last game of the season and a win for us will clinch 5th spot.
Duncan Lennard
5   Posted 16/04/2008 at 15:24:52

Slightly off the subject of finishing 5th here, but in terms of UEFA Cup football next year there is still this fair play route, in which the fairest team in Europe’s fairest league gets an automatic UEFA Cup place (it’s been mentioned before on TW). Unbelievably, that team is still us (not counting other teams who’ve already qualified for Europe). So even if both Villa and Pompey overtake us, we could still make Europe.
Our biggest rivals here appear to be Man City; so while we?re watching Villa/Portsmouth results it might be worth keeping one eye on how many cards City pick up (on Saturday we had one and they had two).
Crappy way into Europe, but I?d take it.
Johnny James
6   Posted 16/04/2008 at 17:45:28

God it really is pathetic that just a few weeks ago we were reading & singing about us going to City twice and more important many believing it. Here we are now desperate to cling onto anything to qualify for a place in the Uefa Cup next season.. From the position we were in pre-Fiorentina we should be well & truly in fourth place now. Who to Blame ??? only the players... Tired , Weary, Injured... Too many games???? CRAP. If we were still in Europe, I wonder how many would have made miracle recoveries???
Ian Tunny
7   Posted 16/04/2008 at 17:58:39

I for one am very worried. Everton have been able to scrape wins and draws in the past with an injured Cahill or Arteta out but without both of them I think we're in the shit. I try to be optimistic but sometimes you've got to be realistic. The last 3 games we played 3 of the worst teams in the league and struggled, whereas the next 3 are 3 of the better teams.

The only bit of optimism I have is that a few times this season I have been pleasantly surprised against teams such as Pompey and Man City but Cahill was a major difference in those games and he won't be around. I'm hoping Vaughan can make it back for the Newcastle game, he could be a major boost.

Ryan Kelly
8   Posted 16/04/2008 at 21:33:21

According to the BBC website if Pompey win the FA Cup then the place would go to the team finishing 6th in the prem. I like most of you am worried about the form of the last few games but we DID pick up the points against Derby and a point that we didn't really deserve against Birmingham. If we had been offered this league table at the start of the season I think most would have taken it.