Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

JJB Sports

I heard today that JJB have announced the closure of 72 stores nationwide. In my opinion they were providing a pathetic service to EFC as it was but now I can see it getting harder and harder to walk into a store to buy our merchandise.

Does anyone know if we can opt out of the conttact and open up another megastore? Or even a market stall would be better! Thank the heavens for buying online, eh!
Brett Bradshaw, Northants     Posted 16/04/2008 at 12:00:57

Comments

Guy Pierce
1   Posted 16/04/2008 at 08:48:27

Yet another comercial masterstroke... Wyness signs up an exclusive kit distribution deal with JJB - who have just announced they're shutting down 72 stores. Is there no end to the club's business acumen?
Lee Penswick
2   Posted 16/04/2008 at 08:37:10

Bill Kenwright, Keith Wyness, Phil Neville, Tony Hibbert, Andy Van Der Meyde, Thomas Gravesen, Lee Carsley, Leon Osman, Andy Johnson, Victor Anicebe. These people have all got one thing in common, they are all inept. No doubt this is the tip of the iceburg at our club. Until we get rid sadly we wont move forward. Simple as that.

Some people would add Moyes to the list, but i still believe he is a decent manager. Although he should never have made Phil Neville club captain. A decision that has always baffled me. He is useless. What attributes does he have? I cant think of a single one. I know weve had a decent season. But these people will not take us to the next level. We need to aim to be the best. Otherwise whats the point?

Roy Coyne
3   Posted 16/04/2008 at 14:15:00

Lee, what have the players got to do with the poor decisions made by Wyness and Kenwright? While some of the guys on your list are not great (with the notable exception of VDM) the rest have fans who will argue with your statement. As Mr Moyes has either selected or signed all of them if they are so bad how have you got faith in Mr Moyes? Let me say straight away I dont agree with you and I?m not criticising Davy just pointing out your lack of logic.
Carl Howey
4   Posted 16/04/2008 at 14:11:49

They are probably 72 of the stores that don’t sell any EFC merchandise anyway.

Like my local one - on the day of this seasons home kit launch, they had one small poster in the window and about half a dozen shirts on a rail stuck in a corner. Almost out of sight behind the rail after rail of the usual suspects kit.

How much are we paying this buffoon to look after our commercial interests?!!!

Bully - it’s time to clear out your desk!!!
Mark Griffiths
5   Posted 16/04/2008 at 14:55:39

Pathetic marketing!!!

I recently went into my local store and when I asked the store manager why there were 3 times as many liverpool kits from young toddlers to adults, I was told that it was because Liverpool sell a lot more than Everton and it is common business sense. He also had a smile on his face, I wonder who he supports!!
Joe Daly
6   Posted 16/04/2008 at 15:02:03

Mark - it is common business sense though, I don?t blame the guy for wanting to stock more of the more popular shirts. Surely no-one is blinkered enough to suggest that JJB are purposefully pushing Liverpool shirts over Everton shirts as some conspiracy? Liverpool have a larger fanbase - that is fact, therefore more people to buy shirts, therefore shops stock more.
Tony Williams
7   Posted 16/04/2008 at 15:38:48

Away with you Joe Daly, common sense posts have no place here.

Stupid idea anyway giving the contract to JJB, why build a new store in town and close it down within a year or two?

Then again due to the t’internet I suppose a lot of shops are suffering.
Jay Harris
8   Posted 16/04/2008 at 15:57:43

It is indesputable that football has become business and in the Premier League BIG business. Therefore clubs need good business acumen to succeed.

I am afraid IMO the current board are light years away from what is needed. Only DM seems to have a plan. There is no executive plan and operations are still pathetically run (Marketing and media poorly dealt with, ticket and travel fiascos, transfer sagas).

Smoke and mirrors will only get you so much time and I am afraid that time has come. Success on the pitch (DM) has disguised inadequacies in the boardroom and that is now a major crossroads for EFC in the light of the most important decision the club has ever faced(The Stadium issue).

BK and his mate have to go sooner rather than later.
Paul Chisholm
9   Posted 16/04/2008 at 16:23:28

Nevermind Liverpool selling more kits, I think Wigan are selling more than us at the moment, given the way were playing.
Andy Callan
10   Posted 16/04/2008 at 16:52:42

I’ve heard you can get cheap tops in Ethel Austin.......
John Martin
11   Posted 16/04/2008 at 17:31:11

I thought the contract with JJB was ending anyway and wasnt being renewed, Internet firm Kitbag is to become our retail partner from what i have heard.
Nice to see a thread about JJB include people having a go about Phil Neville as usual every topic goes the same way
James Corbett
12   Posted 16/04/2008 at 19:36:13

re. Lee Penswick.

What sort of supporter do you call yourself? What on earth do Phil Neville, Tony Hibbert, Lee Carsley, Leon Osman, Andy Johnson, Victor Anicebe -- all having reasonable and, in the case of the last four, good seasons as part of Everton’s best campaign in 20 years got to do with the failing of JJB support? Honestly, if you can use something completely unrelated as a stick to beat our team I wonder why you bother. What a bitter and unnecessary post.

As for JJB, don’t they give us a guarenteed figure every year to sell our stock. If they’re not making money on that then that’s their problem, not ours.

Some of you need to get a life, you really do
Jon Hill
13   Posted 16/04/2008 at 22:26:04

Interesting comments re the JJB, which I agree: never any stock, only small to med sizes regardless what team sells the most. The club shop is only just better, its one area the club should be doing something about!!

RE: Lee Penswick comments are you real? Ok some of these players have their shortfalls but hopefully we are going to get the 5th position with our highest ever points, what would you have settled for at the start of the season?! Remember Vic in Europe!!!

Jason Lam
14   Posted 17/04/2008 at 04:30:09

You don’t need JJB to promote kit sales. You need a half-decent England footballer modelling it.

Sign Bentley.
Jason Lam
15   Posted 17/04/2008 at 04:48:31

Before anybody reminds me of our very own Roger and his England exploits, please take brief look at the FA England Senior Squad website:

Why is it that all player but Lescott is wearing the England jersey, either home or away (or an older design)?

Anything to do with JJB? Clattenburg? As an Everton fan you notice these things!