Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Starting 11 versus Chelsea

Looks like we are still down to the bare bones for tomorrows visit fo Chelsea. Osman and Arteta are not fit (according to BBC) but no mention of Piennar so I am assuming he will just about be fit enough to pull on the jersey. (hopefully he will be a permanent signing by then too).

I think Moyes has very little option and should go with the following:-

Howard; Neville - Jagielka - Yobo - Lescott; Pienaar - Carsley - Fernandes - Baines; Johnson - Yakubu

Bench: Anichebe Wessels Graveson Hibbert Valente

Not a great deal there to change the outcome of a match.
Matt Bone, England     Posted 16/04/2008 at 18:56:57

Comments

Rob Jones
1   Posted 16/04/2008 at 22:36:39

What about Baines? I’d personally go for this, although its unrealistic coz Pips not in the 11:

Howard
RB:Jags/Yobo
CB:Jags/Yobo
CB: Lescott
LB: Baines
Wingers x2 - Peanut and Arteta
CM x2 - Manny and Ossie
ST x2 - AJ and Yak

not much different but I think the backline is better TBH.
Brian Garside
2   Posted 16/04/2008 at 23:06:31

Rob. Check the injury list!!!
Howard. Nev(I know), Yobo, Lescott, Valente, S Pin (if fit)Manny (attacking), Carsley, Baines,Yak (if awake), AJ.
Subs:what ever is left!!!Gosling anyone?
Kieran Kinsella
3   Posted 17/04/2008 at 00:06:27

I would go with Howard, Nev, Jag, Yob, Les, Cars, Pien, Fern and three up front which would be Yak, Johnson and Wessels. Wessels would give us a surprise factor as no one would know what to expect since he has never played outfield before. Alternatively we could go with Hibbert and push Nev into a crappy midfield and lose 2-0. I think when due to injuries and lack of motivation that you may as well try doing something silly for a laugh. I recall once or twice that Walter Smith fielded our crappest players (e.g. Cadamarteri and co.) when the usual losers were performing worse than normal and once or twice it actually lead to improved performances from the side.

I’d like to think we could hold Chelski to a draw but bloody Wigan took a point off them which means that they are bound to beat us just to prolong (in their own minds) the title race a bit longer. One thing I don’t think we should do is have Grav on the bench since his only purpose seems to be as a penalty kick taker. He did his bit against Fiorentina but if we were to get a pen against Chelski and send him on to take it then we would be stuck with him for the remainder of the game.

You have to wonder just how crap our reserve and youth team players must be if we fill the bench with players we know we won’t use rather than give them a chance.
Santosh Benjamin
4   Posted 17/04/2008 at 01:59:53

I dont expect much change in the team from the last game..Arteta and Ossie will not pass fitness tests...Pienaar may just about make it...but will be subbed for Valente in the second half!!!
Midfield will be Neville and Cars....with Pienaar and Manny...Gravesen will come on at 85 mins to limit the score line to less than 4-0 so that gola diff isnt the same as Villa after the game..but his legs will give way and will be subbed off in the 90th min for Yobo!
Unless we start with Grav in midfield or Arteta and Ossie are back...we dont stand a sniff of a chance..im not being defeatist,just realistic..COYB
Ray Nickson
5   Posted 17/04/2008 at 02:41:21

For me this game is as much about what the manager is about as well as how few options he has. What can he get out of the players he picks? What positions does he pick them in? We need Fernandes in the middle where he can pick a pass, not waiting on the wing while the ball gets launched at the corner flags. Even Gravesen for the last 15 mins, for the same reason. It?s about how you want the game to be played. Moyes has played the Chelsea game down by saying it?s lost it?s importance. Let?s see if Chelsea think so. And let?s hope Moyes adopts a more positive approach than the last month or so.
Jason Lam
6   Posted 17/04/2008 at 03:12:04

Oh dear, it was not so long ago that we could field a proper team against Chelsea. This should be a lesson to Moyes, 4 additional midfielders in the summer please.

Currently 5th in the league, a Premiership club, and we don’t have enough staff to serve our guests and paying customers. However you look at it - disgraceful.
Mark Pendleton
7   Posted 17/04/2008 at 08:19:00

It is quite frustrating that at a time when we’re so short of players the likes of Gosling is injured. I think along with Rodwell he’s deemed to be a player ready to be given a chance.

As for those suggesting we play Yobo or Jagz at right back give it a rest please, neither of them play very well there. They are centre backs. Neville and Hibbert both do better jobs at right back than they do.
Chris Fisher
8   Posted 17/04/2008 at 08:57:32

I've just seen this as a ?likely line up??! in one of the mornings papers??
Howard. Hibbo, Jag, Yobo, Lescott, Pienaar, Fernandes, Carsley, Neville, Baines, Anichebe?!!!!
Have the Yak and AJ died overnight or something??? I rate Vic a lot but not to start in this match. It's probably just bollocks and both AJ and the Yak will start if we have any sense then bring Vic on later to finish them off!!! I hope Baines does play but Hibbert should be replaced by Neville, i like Nev at right back not in the middle!
Paul Lenehan
9   Posted 17/04/2008 at 09:08:57

If Grav plays it has to be part of a five man midfield where he has no defensive responsibility. If we play him in centre mid we will get stuffed. simple as that. He loses himself at times and doesn’t track back. with Essien, Ballack, Lampard and co we would get over run.

Personally I would go with a 4-4-2 and forget about Grav.
Mark Pendleton
10   Posted 17/04/2008 at 09:16:24

If Grav had the legs anymore he would have been playing recently. He simply hasn’t and that’s why he’s been restricted as a time-wasting last couple of minutes sub or just to come on to take a penalty versus Fiorentina.
Erik Dols
11   Posted 17/04/2008 at 09:07:45

I think some people are overreacting a bit. If I look at Matt’s line-up we play with what for a great part of this season was considered our best defense and goalie. We play with our two best attackers (or at least most expensive). The only problem is midfield. Fernandes is slowly refinding his form of last year and Pienaar and Carsley are first-team-players as well. Only Baines on midfield really is that strange.

Of course I’m not blind and know we will miss Cahill and Arteta dearly, and Osman as well actually. But it’s not all doom and gloom. On the bench Anichebe, Valente and Hibbert I all consider decent squad players. We’re only short of options in midfield.

Let’s see if someone else as Arteta takes the set pieces better.
Brian Baker
12   Posted 17/04/2008 at 10:07:32

According to the Everton OS yesterday afternoon, Arteta and Ossie will face late fitness tests. So don?t be surprised to see at least one of them them playing!
Colin Smith
13   Posted 17/04/2008 at 10:11:24

I would start Howard, Nev, Yobo, Jags, Lescott, Pieneer, Carsley, Fernandez, Baines, Yak, Johnson, as I expect neither Ossi or Arteta to be fit. I have a horrible feeling it will be Captain Phil starting in midfield again, if this is the case it will be mighty tempting to head back to the Westminster for more Guinness. With the best will in the world I do not see Cars & Nev stopping Ballack & co from playing & sure as hell they will not create anything themselves

I know Mad Dog has many faults, all of which have been listed numerous times, BUT he can pick a pass every so often. Hence, I would say 20mins of a half fit Mad Dog would be worth as 90mins of Capt Phil in midfield.
Mark Griffiths
14   Posted 17/04/2008 at 11:16:23

Just been watching Sky Sports News and they keep referring to tonight?s match as CHELSEA vs Everton, I thought we were at home?!

Really getting pissed off with this Sky 4 thing now!
Stan Mullin
15   Posted 17/04/2008 at 11:39:35

I’ve got a tenner on 1-0 Lescott, 89th minute would be nice.......
colin smith
16   Posted 17/04/2008 at 12:43:02

Stan, if you come to the Westminster after the match, I can help you spend your winnings!../rgds Thirsty of Crosby
Andy Callan
17   Posted 17/04/2008 at 12:47:45

I reckon we give Mick Lyons and Terry Curran a game tonight.

Harvey and Kendall are also itching for a game.
Gerry Allen
18   Posted 17/04/2008 at 12:49:07

Who is the referee tonight?
Danny McGuffog
19   Posted 17/04/2008 at 12:52:20

Arteta is defo not playing tonight, my housemate has just got on a plane to Madrid with him about an hour ago.
Laurie Hartley
20   Posted 17/04/2008 at 12:59:10

I would go with:
Neville,Yobo,Jagelka,Valente
Piennar,Fernandes,Osman,Lescott
Yakubu,Johnson

If Ossie isn’t fit, I would put the Grav on for the first 60 minutes, then move Neville to midfield and replace the grav with Hibbert at righ back.

Come on the blues - this time!!!
Mike Hughes
21   Posted 17/04/2008 at 13:08:20

Andy Callan - Ridiculous! Terry Curran should never play for us again! What about Andy King? Or Michael Madar?
Colin Smith
22   Posted 17/04/2008 at 13:12:20

Andy, I saw Curran in the pub with AvdM last night, both are ruled out because niggling elbow strains caused by too much heavy lifting. However, Bernie Wright is fit for a much delayed comeback.
Chris Perry
23   Posted 17/04/2008 at 13:13:55

I really think Moyes will fuck up again and play the chuckle brothers in midfield, why the fuck does he persist with Neville? This individual is an absoloute fucking joke. He cannot pass, he cannot tackle hae cannot go past players. He does not know a forward pass if you beat him around the head, his crab like movements and passes are generally to the opposition and his overall Captains performance is dribble. A captain should be there to organise, change tactics in conjuntion with the manager, offer advice and generally rally the troops when their heads are down. Neville is the Invisible captain. Carsley, is a different story, he has been good for us but cannot compete against fresher midfields.
James Power
24   Posted 17/04/2008 at 13:39:51

"Drivel" - more related to talking than playing football.
"Dribble" - 1. allow saliva to flow from the mouth 2. move the ball forward in football with slight touches of the feet.
Paul Chisholm
25   Posted 17/04/2008 at 13:24:45

My team for tonight:
1. Howard
2. Wessels
3. Ruddy
4. Turner
5. Jags (He can play in goal too)
6. Lescott
7. Yobo
8. Hibbert
9. Neville
10. Carsley
11. Valente

With this line up we could possibly get a 0.0 draw. The other alternative is to play Neville and Carsley in midfield and get absolutely fooked.
Colin Smith
26   Posted 17/04/2008 at 14:28:23

Paul, good team. If you are determined to leave out Bernie Wright, I would have Gardner up front...much better in the air than Nuno. Playing Gardner would also reduce the temptation to play any of this keep the ball on the deck, passing game, bollocks that some idiots on this board support.
Mike Hughes
27   Posted 17/04/2008 at 14:58:24

Paul, what about bringing Stubbs back on loan?
Mike Coates
28   Posted 17/04/2008 at 13:09:17

I read Lampard is on comapssionate leave.. and Drogba also is ruled out along with their keepers.

Its not all doom and gloom just for us..

My bet.. the team that started this thread.. but perhaps a change from the continous yellow carding Carsley..

------------------Howard------------------

Neville---Jagielka---Yobo---Lescott

-----------------Gravesen-----------------

Pienaar------Fernandes------Baines

--------Johnson--------Yakubu---------

Subs : Carsley, Anichebe, Valente, Hibbert, Wessels.

We can’t not win 4 games in a season against Chelski can we?

Yak and Fernandes to score.. 2-1 Victory.
Mike Coates
29   Posted 17/04/2008 at 16:56:01

Uh, that’s compassionate.. Sorry, he’s not in some coma state... lol

Actually, 2-0. Howard really wants Neville’s crown :)