Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Would you trust him with £30M?

Driving home tonight, I felt for the very first time that we`ve reached the pinnacle with Moyes. The guy`s done a good job in stabilising the club and we all know Blue Bill thinks the sun shines out of his arse. But let`s be honest, if Everton suddenly came into money ? say £30 Million ? would you trust Davey Boy to spend it wisely? I don't think I could and that's why we shall never really trouble the Big Four.

It's a sad fact that we are blessed with a sound manager who hasn't got a clue about putting a class side together. OK, he's a workaholic but he's a man with limited vision obsessed with defensive theories.

He`ll never manage a top side ? here or anywhere else ?- and because his parsimonious approach suits his bosses he`s got a job for life with Everton. So he won`t be banging down the door for that £30mil ? he just wouldn`t know what to do with it!
Calum  Maher, Skelmersdale     Posted 18/04/2008 at 00:43:44

Comments

Lyndon Lloyd
Frankly, yes, I would... if he promised he'd fucking spend it! With Yakubu, Cahill Pienaar, Arteta, Lescott, Yobo, Fernandes, Howard, etc he's assembled a very good core. But we need quality in all positions... sadly I don't think we have the funds and I fully expect a summer of frustration.

Moyes isn't perfect, he continues to make mistakes and his powers of motivation appear to be finite, but the fact is that he's in with a decent shout of achieving consecutive top-six finishes with a team that contains Hibbert, Neville, Carsley and Gravesen (the cold, hard truth is that they need to be removed from the first-team equation at the start of next season) and I can't think of a manager who would join us that could do better. We've hit a glass ceiling on all fronts — playing staff, stadium, investment, the works — and it's pretty depressing.

martin cutler
1   Posted 18/04/2008 at 05:56:21

Well, knowing Kenwright and Wyness from old we can all doubt that Moyes will be given 30m ..... I would tend to think that even if that kind of money was available it wouldn’t be in one fell swoop...he’d probably be given a chunk for one player here and another chunk for another player there ...eeking it out over the summer (the relevance of that being that spreading the money available is not the same as having 30m to spend at once as you imply).

That aside, I think it’s one heck of an assumption on your part that Moyes would screw it up even if he did have the money........on what basis do you determine that?

Let’s see: Lescott, Arteta, Howard, Pienaar, Cahill etc....small amounts of money, brilliant players.
Yes some transfers haven’t worked but all managers are the same........offhand I’d say Wenger is probably the only exception to that rule (apart from Gallas the Wazzuck).

And when he was given a large chunk...he got The Yak. Need I say more?

To be honest, I’d like to see Moyes with 30M to spend in one go.......he might mess it up but I can’t see any evidence to support that as fact before it’s happened.

I mean, come on, we’re screaming for money and before he’s got it he’s screwed it up.....give the guy a chance.

By the way, I would agree he’s defensive minded (that’s why our defense is brilliant) and the new assistant coach -- if he ever gets one -- can hopefully influence the midfield/attacking end of things....and likely transfers too.

I do foresee another summer of checking the gossip/news every fricking day, 24/7........exciting innit?
Mike Coates
2   Posted 18/04/2008 at 07:15:40

I.M.W.T (almost I’m Wet.. lol)

Moyes all the way! :) With money, definitely!
Erik Dols
3   Posted 18/04/2008 at 07:30:37

Like some have said above: I think Moyes is one of the better buyers in the league so I would love to see him with £30 M. I’d rather have Moyes with £30 M than every manager the barcodes had the last 5 years or so with twice that money.
Jay Campbell
4   Posted 18/04/2008 at 07:08:34

Thank fuck i’m not renewing my season ticket!!!! Another 70 quid wasted on a load ov bollocks

The standard ov football being dished out is terrible. I’ve had enough and no longer after this season am i being subjected to this shit. It’s so depressing and I just can’t get excited anymore about Everton. Moyes can only do so much but honest to god he doesn’t help himself sometimes. It’s draining watchin that carry on.

After Kenwright’s and Wyness’s antics over the last year or so I decided that they can shove it and no way after this season will they get another penny out ov me.

I do not support their vision for the club and the way they have treated supporters and the lies they have told re stadium issue etc in my eyes is the highest form ov treson.

While fans go the match and pay money things will never change at Everton and the only way to put an end to this shambles is not to go anymore. After giving them countless amount’s ov dosh for over 50 years i can safely say i’ve done my bit.

If your not happy and are complaining all the time the answer is simple "Don’t Go" it’s the only way these fuckn morons get the message coz while there is a full house these deluded whoppers think everything is rosy in the garden.

All this "follow them through thick and thin" nonsense is just plain stupidity and Kenwright and Wyness are laughing all the way to the bank!!!

Dave Whitwell
5   Posted 18/04/2008 at 07:56:42

I would definately trust him with £30m quid, I think his dealings in the market have been as good as anyone over the last few years.

What I don’t trust Moyes with however is substitutions when chasing a game. Now my managerial abilities are limited to Football Manager on the PC, but surely anyone can see that when you need a goal you must sacrifice a holding midfield man for a more creative player, not the only winger that you have on the pitch, who I believe was just begin to play well.

Having said all of that I didn’t think we were two bad last night, given the quality of the opposition. My main frustration was the inablitity of our strikers to hold the ball. Now I accept that they don’t always get the best delivery, but when the ball is played to feet, as it was a number of times to the Yak, it must be held to allow midfield players to get forward. The number of times he could have taken the ball out wide (rather than mis-controlling, or passing straight back to Nev/Cars, at least going out wide would have dragged either Terry or Carvalio out there hence leaving gaps in the middle, as for AJ i’m struggling to remember when he even touched the ball!
Andy Crooks
6   Posted 18/04/2008 at 08:08:31

I’ve supported David Moyes all season, still do but last night was tough to take. The aim was clear from the start. Play for nil nil and maybe sneak a goal. Once Chelsea scored it was game over. We don’t have a plan B We’re lucky that Chelsea don’t really punish teams but I fear that a hammering awaits before the end of the season. Okay, we are threadbare in midfield but why not play 4-4-2 with Neville at right back and Baines on the left of midfield. AJ is not the man for Tim Cahiill’s role in a 4-5-1 and at least Baines can make the odd pass. Frankly, we looked like a side unsuccessfully battling relegation.Also, it’s about time to get off Phil Neville’s back. Fair enough, he was shite, but he’s an okay fullback forced into a role for which he’s totally ill-equipped. At least he gives 100%. FinallyIthink a couple of questions have been answered. Why is Tommy Gravasen always on the bench? Because he’s an embarassment on the pitch. Should we sign Fernandes? Not at any price.
Peter Corcoran
7   Posted 18/04/2008 at 08:20:22

If not Moyes then who and would £30m be enough for the new manager?
helen pull
8   Posted 18/04/2008 at 08:40:04

I think that the money should be given to Keith Wyness for the stirling work he puts in at the ’peoples club’ - he deserves it ;)
Clive Samuels
9   Posted 18/04/2008 at 08:37:14

You bet I would! Moyes has seen off Sven,O’Leary,Hughes,Jole and a raft of other so-called top managers.With just one more win he’ll see off the journos’favourite Flash Harry,too.
Davey is the best ’pound for pound’in the game-no contest-but where’s the 30mil coming from eh?
Andy Hudson
10   Posted 18/04/2008 at 08:38:58

"I like Moyes as a man but his percentage tactics and loyalty for too many shit players drives me insane."

Jay your an idiot! Loyalty for too many shit players? Ok then who the fuck is he gonna play instead of them?! We have no fucking team as they’re all either injured or running on empty. Moyes’ hands are tied when it comes to team selection. We don’t have the depth of squad even teams like Newcastle and Spurs have, yet we’ve coped with 2 cup runs and are still 5th with a few games left! I think your comments fit neatly in to the "knee jerk reaction" category. Yeah you pay yer money, and you have a right to voice your opinion but your comment above was just plain stupid
Darrel Pugh
11   Posted 18/04/2008 at 08:59:29

Last night I witnessed a team of soldiers not footballers, drilled to death, fit to drop, run marathons, problem is the idea of being a creative footballer has passed Moyes by, I dont think he sees the value of talent. He has created a team firmly in his own image, you could give him him Ronaldo and he would be doing extra training to work on his tracking back. Is Moyes a coach not a manager?
ian tunny
12   Posted 18/04/2008 at 09:14:47

Iwould tust him with 100 millioin the wonders he worked with this club
Nilesh Tailor
13   Posted 18/04/2008 at 09:19:06

I am suprised a lot of people are critising Moyes, remember this guy has come in and changed the club around. Look at Alex Ferguson, he was nearly a game away from being sacked and the rest is history. Moyes has shown he is a class manager, but now he needs the money to bring in the quality players, which I hope the board give him, then judge him on that. Let's get behind him and the team for the rest of the season and get that Uefa Cup spot, which is important to attract players to Everton FC.
Jay Campbell
14   Posted 18/04/2008 at 09:00:53

Andy if you can be grown up enough to stop name calling and use what is between your ears you’ll understand what i’m on about.

Moyes tactics are so negative, and if nothing is on hoof it too the corners to let a headless chicken(Johnson) chase it to bounce of a couple of 6ft 4 centre halfs or a lazy excuse for a centre forard (yakubu) to put his arms into the air and say "running and effort is not my game".

There is no excuse for the way he encourages his team to play football. No excuse!! Don’t use bad excuses like injuries and who’s he goona bring in!! It is painfully obvious even to someone as brain dead as Trigger that Neville, Hibbert, Carsley, Johnson etc are totally out of their depth so why keep putting them in the startin XI???

I’d rather watch a team full of young lads pulling their tripes out and trying to play football than watch a bunch ov overrated, overpaid, talentless clowns.

I seriously have to question what game do some fans watch?? All top managers are ruthless and if you are not doing a job for them then you are lashed end ov story.

Everton play one way and have no variation to their play and never give the opposition anything to think about. It’s easy to set up against Everton!!!
Nevil Grearson
15   Posted 18/04/2008 at 09:28:07

Moyes is a victim of his own success. He has highered our aspirations to a level beyond what we could ever have expected. God help him when we have an average season as we truly will, Toffeewebers will murder him! Just makes me glad that BB for all his faults sees the whole picture.
Andy Hudson
16   Posted 18/04/2008 at 09:40:32

"I?d rather watch a team full of young lads pulling their tripes out and trying to play football than watch a bunch of overrated, overpaid, talentless clowns".

So Jay with a few games left and everything to play for you?d drop experienced players and replace them with a bunch of kids against Chelsea?! What are you on? We?d be turned over big style! Yeah were really defensive against teams and its frustrating to watch, but if we?d ground out a 0-0 draw everyone would be saying it was a good result! Playing a bunch of kids we?d have no chance of getting anything from the game. We don?t have the players to replace the likes of carsley, hibbert, johnson. If Vaughan hadn?t got injured he?d probs be given a chance but he?s not available, neither is Arteta or Cahill. If we had chelsea?s reserves and were playing hibbert etc over them, then i?d say you had a valid point... as it stands i?m afraid I couldn?t disagree with you more. Yeah a lot of our players aren?t good enough to play for a top 5 team... doesn?t it make even more remarkable that we?ve done so well this season?!
Barry Cass
17   Posted 18/04/2008 at 09:32:32

Yes I?d trust him as he hasn?t made too many mistakes overall in the market. Our problem is Kenwright. Now I?ll probably get some shit but why is this prick still in charge of our club?

It really depresses me when you see this idiot in the press whenever we win but is like Lord Lucan when we lose. This 24/7 search for investment still has found any takers!! Would you give your money and let this prick take the credit for it? £78 million to move to Kirkby?? No thanks, put another tier on the Park End and buy some players.

For me, he is the single most reason why we won?t really put the ?Sky4? under any real pressure. This man brought us Keith Wyness from that HUGE club ABERDEEN and Robert Elstone (who is a joke) to run our club !! Keith ?Kirkby won?t cost us anything? Wyness who promised us we?d be in the top 20 rich list each year. However, the fact we made it in there for that 1 season was because we?d sold Wayne Rooney.

And for me this is why we?ll have to put up with Carsley and Neville in midfield for the foreseable future unless Bill "pulls some rabbits out of a hat" , to quote the prick!

Oh well lets not be too downhearted as soon we?ll be watchin a team full of Carsley and Nevilles in half full tin stadium in a place nobody wants to be!!
Joe McMahon
18   Posted 18/04/2008 at 09:49:02

Calum Maher - Spot on mate, I agree with every word. I think his obsession with defensive tactics means we will never go for a full on push to win games, even when we are behind!!
Craig Walker
19   Posted 18/04/2008 at 09:49:19

I feel pretty depressed this morning. Now we’re being linked with Stephen Carr. He’s got to be the only right back in the Premiership that I can think of who is actually worse than Neville and Hibbert. Bloody Hell. It’s gonna be a long summer!!!!!!
Patty Beesley
20   Posted 18/04/2008 at 09:51:52

Stop slagging Moyes off. He is a man who is honest and full of integrity and a bloody hard worker who tries to earn his pay. What you guys want to remember is that a "craftsman is only as good as his tools" and if you ain?t got the money to buy good tools what are you supposed to do. If I was him, I would have left Everton high and dry when year after year there are no exceptional funds for players and your so called Everton fans don?t appreciate that you are working your socks off.
Joe McMahon
21   Posted 18/04/2008 at 09:57:08

Patty- he has had the money to purchase tools. Two tools that spring to mind are Johnson & Beattie they cost 13.5 million pounds. That’s big money for strikers who don’t do what they say on the tin......SCORE GOALS.

Everyone at works wind me up about Johnson, as his is the most expensive flop amongst strikesr currently in the divsion. And don’t say he scored 2 against Liverpool, that was the last & only time he has scored twice in a premiership match AND it was over 18 months ago. So YES Moyes has had the money.
Erik Dols
22   Posted 18/04/2008 at 10:13:37

Joe - Johsnon the most expensive flop???

Darren Bent played started 14 matches, came on as a sub 17 times, 8 goals

Andrew Johnson 26 and 10 matches, 10 goals .

If Johnson is a flop, Bent surely is one as well and he cost Spurs at least twice as much.
Anthony O'Sullivan
23   Posted 18/04/2008 at 10:15:37

Why was Carsley mentioned in the players to go bit anyone with half a brain can see he is one of our most important players this season.

Moyes if given £30 mill will spend it wisely some. the flops he bought where because he was forced to buy bargin basment players the VDM tommy G?s etc.
Jay Campbell
24   Posted 18/04/2008 at 10:04:05

Andy someone once said "you’ll never win anything with kids" didn’t they??

That’s what letterbox head hansen said on MOTD about Fergie having the bottle to throw a load ov kids in Man U’s side years ago.

Looks like the experienced players are gonna make a james blunt of it in the race for finishing 5th if you ask me.

I’d think more ov Moyes if he had the courage to change things coz the tried and tested does not work.
Andy Hudson
25   Posted 18/04/2008 at 10:22:10

Andy someone once said "you?ll never win anything with kids" didn?t they??

That?s what letterbox head hansen said on MOTD about Fergie having the bottle to throw a load ov kids in Man U?s side years ago.

Jay i’d be happy for Moyes to throw a load of kids with the quality of Becks, Scholes, Giggs, Neville (Garry that is) etc. Problem is our youth players aint very good!

I agree we won’t finish 5th, I just don’t feel we have any options worth considering in our shallow pool of resources. I also feel Moyes would be lambasted for fielding a load of poor kids in the final few games when there is still so much to play for. I think he’d be criticised for giving up on the season.

I believe we probably need 4 points from the last 3 games to secure 5th. 1 or 3 of those must come against Villa. I feel we have a better chance of acheiving that with the experienced players we have over some very average youth team players.

a "craftsman is only as good as his tools"
Well said Patty, I couldn’t agree more!
Richard Parker
26   Posted 18/04/2008 at 10:28:08

Load of bollocks.

Moyes has continually improved the side since he has arrived. He’s done an incredible job of bringing in players to do a job on a pretty tight budget. Fair enough Carsley, Neville, Hibbert, etc are fairly limited.

But we have the core of a decent young-ish side. We have Howard, still young for a keeper, Yobo, Lescott, Jags, Baines at the back. Arteta, hopefully Pienaar, Cahill in the middle and AJ and the Yak up front. Plus decentish squad players in Hibbert, Vaughan (if the lad can stay fit), Ossie, Valente.

The problem this season, is that the players have run out of steam, they were running on adrenaline and the loss in the UEFA seemed to be the catalyst for the downfall. If Moyes can add 3 first XI players (right back, commanding central midfielder and winger/striker) without losing anyone except Gravesen, we’re on to a decent squad.

Remember that we must have played about 15 more games than last season, with only a slightly bigger squad.
Jay Campbell
27   Posted 18/04/2008 at 10:33:33

Andy I do like Moyes just don’t think he helps himself sometimes.
Barry Cass
28   Posted 18/04/2008 at 10:32:40

Re Anthony : " Why was Carsley mentioned in the players to go bit anyone with half a brain can see he is one of our most important players this season"

Have to totally disagree with you. Carsley is very average in 4-5-1 however in 4-4-2 he is awful. Last night he was shocking. Just watch next time we play when our centre half has the ball. Does Carsley come and demand the ball ? Does he turn and go by players driving the team on ? Does he go about the pitch setting the tempo ? If you can answer yes to any of these then i’ll hold my hands up.

The trouble is we have become used to the fact that ocassionaly he gets a decent block in but thats all he does. The centre of the park is the Engine room and thats where games against the top sides are won and lost. Whenever we are up against a midfield with legs then we struggle.

If we are to improve and challenge for fourth again this is the area more than any other that we need to invest in. So that’s why Carsley and Neville need to be removed from that central midfield area.
Andy Hudson
29   Posted 18/04/2008 at 10:48:12

Fair enough Jay I agree with you there. I just think with a squad of say Man U’s quality it would be easier to judge him. I think we need to give him a few more seasons to build the squad and then we’ll not see the kind of performance were getting now, I really think with some additions of the Arteta/Cahill/Lescott quality we’ll not have to resort to hoofball and be a lot more pleasing on the eye. I look forward to that day.
Alan Stone
30   Posted 18/04/2008 at 10:51:50

So the consensus on this thread is that Moyes is a genius and £30M would be well spent-if only we had it! All I can say is that most of you don’t want much by way of entertainment and you bloody well deserve what little you get.
Me? I’m off to Marine next season-at least Phil Neville dont play for them.Yet.
Jay Campbell
31   Posted 18/04/2008 at 11:20:11

Andy no bother lad. I have felt for a long time that Moyes doesn’t get the help he deserves off the board and never will in my opinion because Kenwright is a bluff merchant.
Ian Withers
32   Posted 18/04/2008 at 11:12:14

Moyes is a realist who knows the only way we can hope to progress is by playing attritional football and negating the other team?s flair players. Without funding to match them, we can only expect more of the same and I have no hope that he or anybody else can break the mould.

In answer to the question ? No,I wouldn?t trust him with £30M ? and he?s never likely to manage a club that will. Don?t think Mourinho, think Gordon Lee. This is Everton we?re talking about!

Sam Fellows
33   Posted 18/04/2008 at 11:28:02

Think you?ve read it right there, Ian. Moyes has massively over-performed at Everton for which we should be eternally grateful. I can?t see him keeping it up but it will be Kenwright who cops the blame for failing to support him. He?ll never manage a top English club and is a shoe-in for Celtic in due course. But the lad done well whilst it lasted.
Kevin Jones
34   Posted 18/04/2008 at 11:21:00

Lets get real here we’re Everton and as such can’t afford 60 grand + a week wages, that the big 3 and Liverpool pay there players Torres cost £26M and 90 Grand a week, in life you get what you can afford. Therefore we are in the second league and the last time I looked we where still best of the rest so Moyes with limited resources has done a wonderful job. I think we have to be very careful with Moyes as Celtic will undoubtedly sack Strachan in the summer and will be looking for a new boss, now with trophy’s and CL football virtually guaranteed Moyes head could be turned. Who do we get then a foreign manager hope not, or a lower leaguer if so Paul Ince would get my vote. Always remember be careful what you wish for
Dave Threadgold
35   Posted 18/04/2008 at 11:34:45

I think Moyes is a boring man whose teams play boring football.But then outside the top four it’s the same with all the others.I stopped going after his first two seasons, the football was no improvement on Smith’s although the results have been a lot brighter.Just shows that standards have dropped a long way when hoof-ball is seen as entertainment.
Patty Beesley
36   Posted 18/04/2008 at 12:04:37

Joe - Andy Johnson has been injured quite a lot this season and therefore missed games. His confidence has never recovered from all the penalty b....cks. Yakubu cost a hell of a lot more and I don?t see much value for money from him since the West Ham game. Yeah, yeah, I know if strikers don?t get the service then they don?t score - more like if strikers don?t get in the box enough they don?t get the chance of getting a penalty. Perhaps that?s why we haven?t had any!!!
Danny McGuffog
37   Posted 18/04/2008 at 12:00:51

We?ve just run out of gas, well that?s what it looks like. I was at the game last night and I was very disappointed with both the result and the type of game it was. To be honest I can?t see who else we could get in instead of Moyes that would do things that much better? There have been times this season when we have been playing some really good stuff and everyone was behind moyes then, its clearly obvious the older players have now passed it and with injuries etc it?s going to be a hard run in this season?im not looking forward to the Villa game now though
Harry Charles
38   Posted 18/04/2008 at 11:53:30

Moyes is superb, and a credit to Everton FC. I would give him a ten-year contract tomorrow> He will learn by the few mistakes he has made and will get even better. He is honest and a credit to the game ? not like some crying ill mannerd git of a manager, not to far from here.
Roy Coyne
39   Posted 18/04/2008 at 12:00:07

I am not Moyes's biggest fan, my two complaints have been he never has a plan B and the lack of football. But this season I feel we have played more proper football than at any time during his reign; however, I still worry about a plan B but to slag him off when the team is basically the walking wounded is unfair.

But for the run of injuries fifth was a cert and fourth was there for the taking. But look at what we are up against: Chelsea have no Drogba, in comes Anelka ? that's just one example all the teams above us have the same options. Now look at ours midfield injury we have to draft in Neville put him along side Carsley (who I think does a good job breaking up opposition attacks) and we have a midfield partnership that cannot pass a ball more than a couple of yards.

Until we can have strength in depth no matter who is Manager we will struggle when forced to bring in squad players.

Lee Spargo
40   Posted 18/04/2008 at 12:31:07

For less than a combined £30m, Moyes has bought;
Yakubu
Lescott
Arteta
Cahill
Piennar (hopefully!!)
Baines
Yobo

Not bad eh?
David Southon
41   Posted 18/04/2008 at 12:53:40

I have faith in his signings. But what was apparent from last nights display, is that we must sell messers Neville and Hibbert. They never appear fullly focussed, and can not pass the ball to a fellow team-mate. So while we see fantasy stories of us signings these latin american and european unknowns. I would love to see us sign a rock solid right back and a strong ball winner in the middle of midfield.
Andy Hudson
42   Posted 18/04/2008 at 12:47:47

I agree Lee he’s sniffed out some great deals. Some managers can only suceed if given vast amounts of Money. Moyes has shown he is shrewd in the transfer market and a great coach who can get the best out of players.

2 points people keep making:
1) Dire football / Hoofball
2) Lack of plan b

Yep both are valid points, but the problem is we haven’t got the money for 11 world class players, let alone subs to match. We have no plan B as we have no decent players to bring on to change a game... not Moyes’ fault. Yeah the football is poor, but its effective (most of the time) and gets results. Until we can splash out £26million on one player its going to be this way. Over 5 years Moyes has brought in some good football players, give him another 5 and i’d imagine we’ll see much more attractive play. Problem is were an impatient bunch and want results now... well short of a sugar daddy wishing to pump endless millions in to the club this isn’t going to happen, and so slowly but surely Moyes will buy 1 world class player a year. We’ll build slowly and make slow progress, but if thats what it takes then so be it. If we lost Moyes we’d be screwed! A new manager would want to make whole sale changes and we’d be backt o square one. Would I trust Moyes with £30mill? I’d trust him with double that! I think people want sucess too quick. I’d rather we had Moyes for another 5 years and continued to slowly improve the 1st team and squad.
Mark Stone
43   Posted 18/04/2008 at 13:18:15

Absolutely, wholeheartedly with 100% of my backing ... YES I WOULD!
Mark Pendleton
44   Posted 18/04/2008 at 13:19:17

Yes, i’m with those who have 100% backing with Moyes on this one. In a few years the first team has been totally transformed and when available they’ve played some equisite football this season. We’ve fallen short with a big batch of injuries robbing us of the creative element of our side but i’ve no doubt that 2 or 3 key acquisitions to be made this summer will rectify that.

Manny started to have a real influence in the second half last night and has started to justify his permanent signing. I really feel that when he regains form and fitness he could be an excellent player. Pienaar was dangerous for us last night until he effectively succumbed to niggling injury last night. Overall adding players of the calibre Moyes has signed whilst getting AvdM and Tommy G off the wage bill (and, although he has played excellently for us, Valente) will allow us funds for these new players.

IMWT.
Rob Hollis
45   Posted 18/04/2008 at 13:11:16

£30 million would sort us out. We have played some great stuff this season when the best players have been available and fit, but we have not got enough of them.

We do not have the finance available though. Not as big a brand as RS, Utd and Arsenal. Not the money of Abramovich.

So, either new owner(s) or more of the same.
Mark Pendleton
46   Posted 18/04/2008 at 13:24:16

P.S. after reading a few more responses in this thread i would say that when we’ve had most of our squad available (and we must all remember that during our best run we had some great options on the bench at last) then some of Moyes’ tactical substitutions have been spot on. It’s all very well being critical of his tactical nous now but he’s not had those options lately. Let’s focus on when he’s had HIS players available and the many GOOD decisions he made. A couple more astute signings of the nature he’s already brought in and you’d have to admit the signs are that he’ll be able to make those good decisions again.

Oh, and a special word for Jagz. OK, like Hibbo he’s not got the best distribution in the world, but the ability to throw himself in the way of anything that comes at us has been fantastic.
Andy Hudson
47   Posted 18/04/2008 at 13:38:57

Spot on Mark. You can’t judge him on his substitutions when he’s had absolute dross to bring on. When he had good options on the bench he made more good calls then bad, when your options are crap then bringing them on will generally not have a positive effect. Ok he has got some wrong (Spurs anyone?) but so do all managers. I reckon Give Moyes he’s dues, he’s done remarkably well give the financial constraints placed on him
Trevor Wooding
48   Posted 18/04/2008 at 14:17:18

The reality is that he will have no more than £20M to spend. That will go on sewing up deals for Pienaar and Fernandes, a replacement for Carsley (although he likes Neville in that job) and another right-back. With Turner going back to Scotland and Wessells worse than useless he?ll also need a new cover goalie. That?s yer lot, so end of debate!
ian tunny
49   Posted 18/04/2008 at 14:28:10

If you can keep ur head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you, but make allowence for their doubting to. Dont listen to them Moyes they know not what they do. Moyes has done a great job so far and still has a great future a head of him where ever he goes. Moyes had his hands tied because of injuries If you had half a brain you would see that. Other pundits wont even mention his name without starting or finishing the sentence with ’what a great job David Moyes has done’. Every1 outside can see it so why cant you?
Mark Pendleton
50   Posted 18/04/2008 at 14:53:50

Cheers Andy Hudson, if you were on my Xmas card list you’d deffo stay on it.
One of Moyes greatest strengths is is honesty and admitting to mistakes he makes too. He also doesn’t complain about the injuries like other managers, he just gets on with it. Makes me sick going on about how Chelsea miss Drogba and Lampard. Compare that with us missing Cahill, Arteta, Ossie and Vaughany!!!

Anyway, more importantly, rather than debating whethere we’d trust Moyes with a £30m transfer kitty, the burning question is:-

WOULD YOU TRUST BENITEZ WITH YOUR PAELLA ORDER?
Andy Preece
51   Posted 18/04/2008 at 14:55:23

Absolutely would trust him with £30m. If only that sort of money was available. As posted above I can?t see us having more than £20m.

When we’ve had a fit squad this season the hoofball pretty much stopped. During the middle of the season we were playing good to watch, passing along the floor, attacking football. Some people on here were saying we weren’t far off Arsenal’s playing style at the time. Those comments were over the top, but when Moyes’ team has been available and fit we’ve looked well worth our current 5th place. This was down to Moyes, his signings, his tactics AND the players playing to their ability in their best positions.

Hopefully Pienaar will be his latest signing. All the "reasons" people keep coming up with on here and calling Moyes "Dithering Dave" etc are ridiculous. We fans have no idea what happens behind the scenes. You can pretty much put your house on Moyes wanting to get Pienaar signed asap. It’s not all up to him though.

He should also, in my view, be using some of whatever transfer kitty he’s given to attempt to sign Fernandes. That’s obviously a controversial opinion on here, but anyone can see the ability he has. Yes, he was inconsistent and did loose the ball a fair bit in the first half, I’m not blind! but it was mainly down to being surrounded by three Chelsea shirts each time he got the ball and having barely anyone move into space for him to release a pass. He was one of the only players using the ball effectively at times. He was always looking to be positive and on more than 1 occaision he wriggled his way past those 3 Chelsea shirts. I also think he?s desperate to impress (whether that be Everton or anyone else watching) and he?s just overdoing it at times. Our best bits of play last night seemed to start when he’d been moved into the middle. He was coming deep to take the ball off the back four and looking forward to create something positive and on the ground. This is something Carlsey and Neville simply aren’t able to do. I’m not slating them, they just don’t have that part to their game and you can?t teach that natural footballing ability and vision. If we can sign him and Moyes can help him develop the defensive side of his game, which can be worked on, then Carsley will be able to take a well deserved break and warm the bench every so often.
Roger Morse
52   Posted 18/04/2008 at 14:54:00

Trevor, you sure know how to dampen our aspirations. I can?t see that shopping list making much difference - the first two are already here and have both been found wanting. I can?t see Moyes blowing £12M on the ?new? Manny for starters. I suppose having Arteta and Cahill back in action will be spun as ?like two new signings? but lord save us from Neville in midfield ? even in the Carsley role! Our man likes signing goalkeepers and full-backs so you are no doubt right on those counts. I still reckon we?re half a dozen class players away from seriously troubling the Big Boys.
Mark Pendleton
53   Posted 18/04/2008 at 15:01:56

You’re quite right Andy, Carsley is superb when behind the midfield, facing play. In a 4 man midfield he’s not, simple as. It’s like playing AJ in defence in a way. As for Phil Neville he’s not a midfielder, he’s a right back. He has his limitations in midfield but at Everton we’re renowned for appreciating effort and out of position you can’t say he doesn’t sweat blood for the cause. At right back he’s far more accomplished, gets forward belying his years and has put in some good crosses.
Andy Hudson
54   Posted 18/04/2008 at 15:44:38

I think everyone including moyes can see were weak as hell in midfield. i personally don’t think he’ll sign Fernandes unless he gets the price down to around 6mill. If we managed to sign players like Bradley and Kellstrom then imagine how good our team could be?

Howard
Neville
Yobo
Lescott
Baines
Bradley
Peanut
Arteta
Kallstrom
Cahill
Yakubu

With money spent in the right area we’ll be a force to be reckoned with next season
Simple Simon
55   Posted 18/04/2008 at 15:49:54

Moyes is by no means perfect and makes many mistakes on selection and tactics. But I fail to see who is actually better than him, who would accept managing a mid-level team like Everton. O’Neil and Sven spring to mind as possible managers. But would they do any better than Moyes given the financial constraint they would be under? I’m not so sure they would. To be honest, Moyes might be the best we can hope for. That might depress you, or fill you with hope. It depends on your character, I suppose.
Oliver McAdam
56   Posted 18/04/2008 at 15:17:56

HOWARD £3million, Cech £12million, van der Sar £3mil
Reina £6mil Almunia £0

BAINES £6
Cole £5+Gallas (value about 10m)
Evra 7mil, Clichy 1mil, Aurelio £0

HIBBO £0, Ferreira 12mil, Sagna 7mil, Finnan 4mil, Brown £0

LESCOTT £5mil, Ferdinand £30mil, Carvalho 17mil, Gallas p/exc(10mil), Agger £6mil

YOBO £5mil, Vidic £8mil, Skrtl £6.5mil, Terry £0, Toure £2m

ARTETA £2.2mil, Wright-phillips £21mil, Ronaldo £12.5mil, Hleb £12mil, Benayoun £6mil

PIENAAR £2.5mil, Cole £6.6mil, Nani £12mil, Rosiky £7mil, Gerrard £0

CARSLEY £1.6mil, HARGREAVES £17mil, ESSIEN £24mil, Fabregas £1mil, Mascherano £17mil

NEVILLE £3.5mil, Carrick £18mil, Alonso £12mil, Mikel £12mil, Flamini £2mil

CAHILL £1.5mil, Lampard £10mil, van Persie 2.5mil, Tevez £30mil, Kuyt £10mil

YAKUBU £12mil, Rooney £27mil, Adebayor £8mil, Torres £24mil, Drogba £24mil

Subs From
Wessels £0, Jagielka £4, Grav £0, Rodwell £0, Vaughan £0, Anichebe £0, Johnson £8.6, Ossie £0, Manny £0, Valente £1.5,

Cuducini £0, Bridge £6, Baletti £2, Alex £5, Ben Haim £0, Ballack £0, Malouda £15, Makelele £14, Anelka £15, Kalou £8, Sidwell £0, Shevchenko £30 +about 30million worth of youth players e.g. Sahar, Sinclair, Di

Kuszczac £2.5, O’Shea 0, Silvestre £3.5, Anderson £17, Park £4.5, Scholes 0, Giggs 0, Saha £12.5

Hyppia £2.5, Arbeloa £2.5, Carra 0, Risse 4mil, Lucas £8, Pennant £7, Kewell £5, Crouch 7mil, Babel £12 + about 30mil on youth players

Lehmann £2, Senderos £1, Denilson £1-2, Walcott £10, Diaby £2.5, Gilberto 4mil, Eduardo £7, Bendtner 0, Eboue 0, Song £1 + 30+ on youth players

Basically, for everton to be near these 4 teams, when the gulf in spending is huge, is an achievement.

Would I trust Moyes with £30miilion, YES of course, with that he may sign a right-back, defensive mid, center mid and supporting striker. BUT, what would you expect.

IF Moyes gets £30mil will we break into top-4 possibly, but if he gets £30mil and next season we finish 5-6th people will think of it as a failure.

When you compare us to the rest of the top-4, they lose a top-class player through injury and replace him with another top-class player. Even if we sign the much needed centre mids so what, if one gets injured we’ll still have much inferior teams to them. To be honest, the only way we will break into top-4 (without £300mil) will be at a constant slow pace, improving slightly each season, maybe in 5-6 seasons we might achieve 4,3,2nd regular but it will be slow, 3-4signings in one summer will not achieve this. I support Moyes and think he knows this, it does not happen over night and is a long drawn out process, however I doubt many fans are patient enough for that and what started the season as wishful thinking has now become expected. 1 victory out of the 2 remaining home games secure 5th in reality. We will achieve this, but remember next season will be a battle more likely for 5th again rather than 4th.
Rob Newland
57   Posted 18/04/2008 at 15:26:17

Jay Campbell: "Everton play one way and have no variation to their play and never give the opposition anything to think about. It?s easy to set up against Everton!!!

With whom should we replace Moyes? Should we select one of the non-Sky 4 managers whom, despite it being so easy to set up against us, have failed to do any better than Moyes over the past few years? For it being so easy to beat us it?s a surprise we have the best record of the non-Sky 4 over the past few years.

You?re all INSANE who want ride of Moyes. NOBODY has done better than him with similar resources. In fact, many with MORE resources have done worse than him. Am I happy with how the team is playing right now? No. We have our three best midfielders out injured -- unless Moyes knee-capped them it isn?t his fault.

Would I trust him with £30 million? WHO HAS A BETTER RECORD (non Sky-4) buying players over the past few years? Name me one manager who has done better and we can hire him.
Mike Allison
58   Posted 18/04/2008 at 17:37:17

Rob Newland I think you’re spot on. Remember everybody, all this criticism of Moyes and his current tactics come during an injury crisis that have exposed a paper thin midfield. £30M is probably more than he needs. Assuming we keep/sign Fernandes and Pienaar, we’re three affordable midfielders away from a squad with depth and variety. We’d be a different side this last month (the ’crisis’ as Tony Marsh hilariously called it) if we’d had quality midfielders to come in and replace the three/four injured first choice ones we’ve had to go without. Moyes knows this, and our summer transfer dealings need to reflect this.
Ray Robinson
59   Posted 18/04/2008 at 19:43:59

I’d trust Moyes with £30m.It’s not his signings (by and large) that worry me. It’s his insistence on playing certain players all the time. And I don’t mean during an injury crisis by the way when he obviously has less choice. Why have Neville and Carsley been automatic choices all season? Why is Hibbert even in the squad still?

If these players aren’t removed from the starting eleven next season, we have no chance of progressing whoever he buys because our ball retention, passing and mobility will not have improved one iota.

As I stated before, it’s not his buying record that worries me.