Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Summer Clear Out?

Well, it's been a good season and finishing 5th will be what the club deserves but could still be taken from us if the players don't attack the situation before it's too late, I was just thinking another summer of silly links with players will happen and you never know some might come true, you never know. I want a summer of stripping back and rebuilding because Everton probably waste a huge amount of cash on players who have just been fogotten about. For example:

Andy van derMeyde - How much is he getting paid and where is he?

Nuno Valente - Probably too old for Everton now - How much do the club pay him?

Thomas Gravesen/Anthony Gardner - what's the point in them being at the club, when they are unfit and really cant be bothered? Who else is stopping the club from progressing? There must be at least £80k per week wasted. Come on, Moyes is a brilliant boss and has done a good job with what he has got but recently not done himself any justice by these 'fringe' players. I mean James McFadden wore the shirt with pride and he let him go and we could have done with him recently ? he was one boy who didn't want to sit on his tod and watch.

What about a summer clear out and players who are getting paid to do nothing?
Tim Muzio, Dublin     Posted 25/04/2008 at 16:50:40

Comments

Martin Cutler
1   Posted 26/04/2008 at 05:26:03

I agree 100% with the players you named. (With the possible exception of Gardner....he sounds like he might not be too bad IF his injuries are behind him and his wages are relatively low).

It?s actually quite amusing (not really) that with the lack of money that we are supposed to have that thousands and thousands are wasted per week on VDM and Gravesen....somebody said that TG only gets paid if he plays? Either way....that?s a lot of tickets to sell just to cover their superior lifestyle! And for doing fuck all!

I would add that Neville and Carsley should go too......on the assumption that we?re in Europe next season then I would see it as a very positive sign that these two are gone and the wages (and whatever we get for them, if anything) is spent on strengthening midfield..... this has simply got to happen.

The likes of Jutkiewicz should go too if they are not going to be played. I wouldn?t call them "new signings" but that is almost the case with Vaughn, Gosling and to a lesser extent Baines hopefully all being fully fit and raring to go next season. Presumably Rodwell will step up for next season too.

I don?t know enough about John Irving, Boyle and Vidarsson to comment. No doubt some other youngsters are not far off (I wish Moyes would play them more often).

As to who he brings in.... well, we know he went to watch Arshavin.... and no doubt he?ll have a "cheap" surprise or two in store for us (Pienaar is an absolute bargain...got to admire Moyes for that).
Will he sign Manny?
Will he bring in any big name players?
Who knows..........tune in to the gossip pages throughout the summer to NOT find out, lol!

Andy Mack
2   Posted 26/04/2008 at 07:46:30

I think the only real wasted money is Andy VDM - and his contract is about to expire - he?s probably on big wages and Moyes has no intention of ever playing him. Mind you every team seems to have one or more of those in the squad. It's a shame Valente hasn?t had more games, I don?t remember him ever looking truly out of place the times he has played.

Other than that, I think we?ve cleared out most of the others over the last few years. It?d be nice to see a youngster coming through, apart from Big Vic's brief burst of games and goals in Europe, this is about the only season we?ve not had a youngster break through and secure a regular spot. Shame one of our young goalies hasn?t stepped up.

We?ve got a great core, I just hope we get into Europe as I have a feeling Arteta and Lescott will be the subject of bids this summer.
Ajamu Mutumwa
3   Posted 26/04/2008 at 07:58:29

While I understand the sentiment behind the article, it borders on the ridiculous as Moyes doesn?t do clear outs.

He does gradual move on. VDM has a year left on his contract. To move him on, given that there are no offers would be for us to pay him off to leave.

I suspect that Moyes view would be we wouldn?t gain financially as VDM?s lawyers will want the whole year of the contract paid off.

Whether we like Neville or not, he?s a leader on the pitch. My hope is that Cahill or Lescott will step up to the plate in the future, as I see both as Captain material, but as they are not "Moyes on the fileld".

Carsley is a more specialised position than many think. If we got that Davis fella from Portsmouth, I?d let Cars go, but unless we have a ready made replacement - forget it.

It's nice thinking that we can "clear out players" - but you need to remember that Moyes has quite rightly said that now we need quality not quantity.

Spurs have just signed Luka Modic - good age (22), and a good player by all accounts, only cost £15m.

At these prices for the quality we need, we?ll need to find at least £30m to start with, and I think that Moyes's starter for 10 is £10m.

But hey, it's fun thinking about who we?d like to call a taxi for.
Ian McDowell
4   Posted 26/04/2008 at 08:49:39

I think that Van der Meyde and Gravesen should be sold; I would probably keep hold of Valente as a squad player for another season, as Baines could probably do a job on the left midfield. Not sure about Gardner as not seen him play very much. Next season looks like it will be as more competitive than ever as Spurs just splash out around £15.8m on Modric.
Mick Thatcher
5   Posted 26/04/2008 at 09:37:35

Just one question. WTF would sign VdM? Gravesen can go back to Scotland and Gardener to Spurs as they are non-playing loanees. I?d add the useless Wessels and Neville to the list and move Carsley on before his legs go like the Gravediggers have. Most of the ?bright young things? will get the chop as Moyes has a clear out of kids every year. If he can find a buyer for AJ, he should bite their hand off.
Ian McDowell
6   Posted 26/04/2008 at 11:30:01

I think that shandy Andy?s contract expires this summer, so I am sure he will be off the wage bill.
Steve Mink
7   Posted 26/04/2008 at 11:30:07

Those who can go:

VDM
Gravesen
Carsley
Wessels
Johnson (for a big offer)

Realistic targets

Those who can come in (realistic targets)

Sidwell
Valencia
Arshavin
Lennon

Bout most of all I would like to see Vaughan, Rodwell, and Gosling break through next year.
Karl Graham
8   Posted 26/04/2008 at 12:03:00

Personally I’d like to see Gravesen, Gardner and Fernandes sent back to their old clubs and Valente, Van Der Meyde and Turner to be moved on. I’d keep Carsley and Neville as back up players.

What we need to sign is:-
In defence a quality right back, 4th choice centre back, a back up left.
In midfield a quality defensive midfielder, a right winger, a left winger.

Unfortunately the players going out wont generate much money if any at all, so the board in my opinion are gonna have to put up or sell up.
Connor Rohrer
9   Posted 26/04/2008 at 15:08:32

We can?t be getting rid of too many players. The squad to small now and we don?t have the money to have a complete overhaul.

Wes should keep the likes of Hibbert, Valente, Neville and Carsley. Not as starters obviously but as squad players defo.
Gareth Lewis
10   Posted 26/04/2008 at 15:23:19

There won?t be a clear out as we need some back-up players. People are always moaning about us not having enough players so we?re not going to let 5 or 6 of the current squad going.

Gravesen and Gardner will obviously go back. Tommy was brought in as a last ditch attempt to give some midfield cover. Unfortunately he?s been injured more than the people he was supposed to cover! Gardner was only brought in so that should we have had a disaster with injuries to our 3 first choice CBs we would have had a replacement.

VDM?s situation confuses me, as clearly no-one is going to buy him. We never seem to want to play him, even when everyone is injured, so I don?t know why we don?t pay off his contract.

People like Valente (he isn?t as bad as some people make out) though will stay as they can offer good quality squad cover.

It is disappointing that we haven?t had a youth player break through (fully) this season, but I think we?ve had a good production line over the past few years and Moyes has played people who have been good enough, so I trust him that they simply wouldn?t have been up to playing. Why people think he would just ignore them if they could improve the team is beyond me!

But the future looks promising though, with Rodwell and hopefully Baxter and maybe one or two others coming through.
James James
11   Posted 26/04/2008 at 16:39:12

I think Vaughan would have breaken into the squad already if it wasn?t for injuries.
Jermaine Johnson
12   Posted 26/04/2008 at 16:43:28

On my wishlist would be:

Arshavin
Brian Howard
And a defensive mid (I don?t know who will be available)
I?d also take John Bostock from Crystal Palace as a great potential.
Harj Badial
13   Posted 26/04/2008 at 18:07:59

Fernandes must STAY - he will be a massive player for us next year....clearly now he is our best technical player even when not 100%.
John Gee
14   Posted 26/04/2008 at 18:19:19

Lay off AVDM, I?ve just read that he?s got an ankle injury and is only 1 week away from fitness.

Come on Andy, show the world your skills and I?ll buy you a pint.
Andrew Tomlinson
15   Posted 26/04/2008 at 19:04:37

What was frustrating to see in the Chelsea game, was Rodwell sitting on the bench when Tommy was brought on & embarrassed himself. A perfect chance to see the future was passed up.

Cars looks like he is Derby bound & AVdM will be escorted from the premises.Manny would be a great signing, but not at 10 million plus. I would love to see the likes of Kevin Nolan, Jason Koumas & dare I say it Danny Murphy brought in. All players with class & bite, something that has been sadly lacking in recent games. I’d also love to see Steven Taylor brought in from the barcodes at right back.
Callum Wilson
16   Posted 26/04/2008 at 19:19:24

Sell Valente... are you drunk? Valente should have been getting many more games this term. If Moyes wasn't always trying to play Yobo, Jags and Lescott at the back, Valente would have had more games. When the Africa Cup of Nations was on, I thought the defence was better with Valente, Jags and Lescott. Not gonna get onto Neville ? we all know him and Hibbert lack everything. I can remember Valente putting in some excellent crosses from the left and getting forward.
Callum Wilson
17   Posted 26/04/2008 at 19:29:48

Also Wessels... how can people slag him off? He's only not been in because Tim's been awesome and when he has came in he has done great. Then because of that the other young keepers haven't been able to break through but this isn't a bad thing. I think we maybe have too many young keepers though. Oh and btw some of the ones on loan have been awesome. Ruddy for one has been keeping lots of cleansheets on loan.
Terry Smith
18   Posted 26/04/2008 at 19:32:29

OUT: VDM, Gravesen, Gardner, Carsley
I would keep Valente as he is a good squad player and can't remember him having any bad games when called on. I think Moyes has already put his wish list to Kenwright and it should be with plenty of QUALITY midfielders

Possibilities-Arshavin, Dudu, Kalstrom, Sean Davis, Downing.
I also hope he intends on signing a quality right back. The names that i have mentioned to come in taking consideration the players leaving should not cost no more than £30m.

Barry Lightfoot
19   Posted 27/04/2008 at 09:00:58

Why has no-one mentioned Kissock? I thought he was our great hope; has he gone off the boil, been sold etc. Where has he gone???
John Martin
20   Posted 27/04/2008 at 12:37:17

So most people on here who are constantly slating our small squad now want a clear out of about 5 players, Most of us beleive we need 2 or 3 top class players added, so if we have a clear out we will need to sign about 10 players in the summer. That will never happen

Out of our squad VDM & Gravesen will probably go, I would not let anyone else leave. Even Gardner as a free transfer would be ok if he got fit as our 4th choice central defender. With Gosling & Rodwell hopefully becoming a more important members of the squad we maybe able to add those quality players we need and the likes of Carsley, Hibbert etc would not be used so often. That's been our problem lately relying on players who should be no better than squad players.

Jermaine Johnson
21   Posted 27/04/2008 at 16:08:20

Gilberto Silva would be a good addition as he would add some height and experience to our miidfield.
Michael Jovanovski
22   Posted 28/04/2008 at 05:04:12

’Kevin Nolan, Jason Koumas & dare I say it Danny Murphy brought in’? What a step up that would be!
Brian Baker
23   Posted 28/04/2008 at 10:41:30

VDM is contracted till summer 2009. No one is going to buy him, so he will happily see out his contract.