Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Realistically, we're already in Europe

Man City losing today leaves them 6 points behind us with only 2 games to go. Given that their goal difference is 0 and ours is 21, I doubt they can leapfrog us in the table. I expect, well not expect, presume Pompey will beat Cardiff in the FA Cup. Should that happen, they will get into Europe no matter where they finish, be it 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th. Aston Villa, our main threat for 5th place. Even if they beat us tomorrow (hope they don't) and secure 5th. We can come 6th or 7th and get into the Intertoto Cup (technically a Europe competition in itself, and one which we'll easily progress through).

However, I'd still like to see us finish 5th.
Adam Doyle, Liverpool     Posted 26/04/2008 at 17:47:55

Comments

Andy Morden
1   Posted 26/04/2008 at 19:47:11

Oh god no, we really don?t wan to be faffing about in the Inter-toto. It means the season starts stupidly early, we get no real break or pre-season, with the consequence of the players being shattered come the middle of the season. As we have seen this season, our paucity of resources has been stretched by competing on 3 fronts this season with the result of the players being knackered / crocked. Imagine starting 2 months early?

As the debate about squad depth and personell has been raging recently, I think we can deduce we will not have a huge squad next season, certainly not any bigger than say two more regulalrly featuring players (i.e. no Grav or Shandy type figures) - we are too skint. 5th is ours to lose. We simply MUST hang on to it.

Alex Baker
2   Posted 26/04/2008 at 19:53:58

Not always a good idea to assume, as it may make an ASS out of U and ME. Cardiff may beat Pompey after all...
Gavin Ramejkis
3   Posted 26/04/2008 at 20:08:51

We have no control over the results of any other games and as such worrying about them makes no difference to their outcome, we can only concentrate on our own games, go for it with them and we only have ourselves to blame if it goes wrong or congratulate if it goes well.
Adi Tommo
4   Posted 26/04/2008 at 20:16:52

Ok, again, if Portsmouth lose the FA Cup and finish 6th with us 7th, we are in the Intertoto anyway is they did not apply.

Our worst case is for Portsmouth to finish 5th, lose the FA Cup and Villa 6th. In that scenario we have nothing and Villa have applied for the Intertoto Cup

If we dont tackle anyone for the rest of the season we may also have a chance in the fair play league route. If that's a possibility then I would rest Neville for sure.
Steve Williams
5   Posted 26/04/2008 at 21:18:01

I have to admit that I?m disgusted with our fans debating Intertoto and Fair Play. Show a bit of pride!

All thoughts should be solely focussed on beating Villa tomorrow and Newcastle two weeks later (and also to pick up whatever we can at Arsenal). That way we can achieve Europe by right. Only after the Newcastle game should we consider anything else.
David Moore
6   Posted 26/04/2008 at 21:47:30

I think we have a chance against the Arse for a point at least. We just seem to be getting a few players back and they have a few out. Onwards for fifth spot.
Gerry Allen
7   Posted 26/04/2008 at 22:10:23

Portsmouth haven’t entered the Intertoto and so are not a factor. Really is a UEFA Cup play-off tomorrow - winner takes all in my opinion. Results today do mean we have the safety net of the Intertoto, however. Whilst I’d be disappointed about that this month, I’ll be very happy about it come the first round proper of the UEFA Cup in September.
Peter Bourke
8   Posted 26/04/2008 at 22:11:32

If we beat Villa we will be 6 points clear of them and will only need a draw from 1 of our remaining two fixtures to dispose of them.
If Pompey don?t win against Blackburn and we beat Villa then they cannot catch us under any circumstances.
So its quite simple. Beat Villa and we shouldn?t have anything to worry about.
Santosh Benjamin
9   Posted 26/04/2008 at 23:43:01

Ossie is back for sure for today’s game..Arteta was supposed to come back late yesterday and be assessed...so is he fit or not? If they are both back i think we are in for a real chance....
We need Baines at LB...Lescott and Yobo in the middle...Hibbert/Nev at RB....5 man midfield..Pienaar,Ossie,Arteta,Carsley,Fernandes..with The Yak upfront alone...AJ/Vic/Jags/Grav/Wessels on bench...COYB
Santosh Benjamin
10   Posted 26/04/2008 at 23:46:12

Ohh and by the way.. I just saw that Spurs had signed a deal of £15.8 million for Luka Modric... when did the transfer window open to sign players??? Can someone clear this up for me? I am so thrilled that Spurs have finished so low down after all the crazy money they spent in the summer and Jan... ok they won the Carling Cup.... but suck in the league.
Dick Fearon
11   Posted 27/04/2008 at 00:02:32

OK Santos, go ahead, make my day.
So RUBBISH Spurs ONLY won the Carling Cup!
That cheers me up no end, sob sob, wheres me gun?
Santosh Benjamin
12   Posted 27/04/2008 at 00:53:34

Dick,
You going to shoot me or yourself?
Martin Cutler
13   Posted 27/04/2008 at 01:20:44

I?m not so sure that Spurs are going to be a threat next season. Getting Modric (if they have) is great for them but considering their form of late... I think they basically need a new team.... yes they won The Carling Cup (and providing Santosh and Dick are still alive...let's be clear here.....we would have been very happy to have won it ourselves!), however, wouldn?t you be alarmed at how Spurs seem to have fallen apart since winning that cup? What the hell is their manager doing? Allowing them to look even worse than before he arrived?

Anyway, back to Everton...if I?m not mistaken, isn?t Cahill the only one missing for tomorrow? However, he didn?t play against Fiorentina in the 2nd leg...so in "theory" we?re as strong tomorrow as we?ve ever been all season? Plus Baines and Manny are fitter and have played quite a few games sinre then... in theory we shouldn?t have a problem! Gulp!
Fingers (and everything else) crossed!!!

COYB!!
Santosh Benjamin
14   Posted 27/04/2008 at 02:21:18

Hope you are right, Martin, about the team.... and I agree with you about what Spurs have been other than the CC win. I also agree that I would have loved to have won it... but I think overall we have had a better season than Spurs by a mile.
P.S: Hope both Dick and myself get to see next season
Dick Fearon
15   Posted 27/04/2008 at 02:56:55

Have no fear Santosh, I will let Phil Neville shoot so we will both see next season.
Martin Cutler
16   Posted 27/04/2008 at 03:38:35

Fear not Santosh and Dick.....you?ll both be having holidays throughout the year in various hotspots of Europe culminating in a bit of stuffing (of some unfortunate team) in Instanbul Turkey.
Pack ya bags now!
You won?t need a theme park, the whole year (knowing Everton and Kenwright and Moyes as we all do) will be one big bloody rollercoaster ride!

I just hope if Neville ever goes on Mastermind (is that show still running?) knows all the answers because he certainly can?t PASS.

Ho ho ho.....I?m in a good mood....I hope I?m STILL in a good mood at about 12:45pm eastern time tomorrow.

Come on lads!!!
Santosh and Dick want to go on holiday!!
Andrew Cunningham
17   Posted 27/04/2008 at 14:12:33

Don?t know why... But I feel good about the Villa game: 3-1 Maybe?
Martin Berry
18   Posted 27/04/2008 at 14:32:30

I have to say I?m a bit confused over the Uefa Cup qualification. In past years you could sneak in at 7th and with Spurs already qualified and Pompey likely to win the FA cup why isn?t 6th good enough. Excuse my ignorance but why is it different this year? The top four all qualify for the Champions League so at least four should qualify for the Uefa Cup.
Ean Palese
19   Posted 27/04/2008 at 15:05:29

Since it?s me birthday - I wish for a solid Everton victory with a clean sheet... and post match news that we just signed Henry for next season!
Joe McMahon
20   Posted 27/04/2008 at 18:26:10

Steve Williams - are you still going to accuse everyone of having NO pride. As you can see yet again, we let a win go!

Let's be honest , Villa are well equpped, they are big & strong; we have Lee (get booked every game) Carsley, Neville, Hibbert and that 6-ft powerhouse Ossie!!
Steve Williams
21   Posted 27/04/2008 at 20:11:31

Joe,

Let me explain in words of as few syllables as possible:

My point was that quite a number of people were ’glorying’ in qualifying for Europe by the Inter-Toto or Fair Play league - that’s pathetic, especially when it was still in our own hands to qualify by a much more proud and honorable route.

We had the biggest game of the season coming up and some were prepared to party on perhaps qualifying for the Inter-Toto!

That’s small minded and, yes, lacking pride.

Please also explain why letting slip a winning position twice has anything to do with pride?
Joe McMahon
22   Posted 27/04/2008 at 23:03:57

Steve - sorry I misread what you put. I was still pissed off after the match.

I actually agree with you full on. A season that had so much promise is reducing into nothing. The fact that we didn?t strenthen in January, says a lot. If we were still in the Uefa Cup, how would we have coped with even more games?
Steve Williams
23   Posted 28/04/2008 at 00:06:08

No problem, Joe.

Glad we’re on the same page.

However, don’t lose the faith. I just happen to believe that the second half performance was heading back to where we have been when things were going well.

I have a funny feeling that there are still a few turns left in this one yet. Let’s hope they turn in our favour.