Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Amateurish Entertainment

No doubt most of the posts over the next few days will be about the Villa game. But I thought I'd mention something that consistently bugs the hell out of me at Goodison, even if it's not massively important.

Does anyone else, like me, feel consistently embarrassed by the half time "entertainment" at Goodison? I know there's a bit of a tradition of the jocular DJ at football grounds but really I think the club makes itself look like fools with what it serves up. I actually bury my head these days and cringe at how stupid we must look to the visiting fans.

Most recent example of this is our "holidays to Thailand" draw, with the whole slow build up eliminating various stands and seats. Five minutes of "It's not the... Main Stand, it's not the... Upper Bullens" as if it's supposed to be somehow exciting. Just draw the damn seat number and announce it.

Similarly the 1990-style computer graphics and the big deal about someone "pressing a button" to start off a farcically bad lottery-number style animation. Hit the bar is fine, it's pretty difficult to mess up.

Oh, and talking about our jocular DJ, can we please give up the "And lining up for the MIGHTY BLUES of Everton" at the team announcements. We're Everton, we don't need to big ourselves up like a Saturday morning TV presenter... or Bolton Wanderers. At least the "fair play handshake" crap is something we don't have any choice about.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention something other than the game, which was a more encouraging performance than recent weeks coupled with frustration.
Robin Cannon, Manchester     Posted 27/04/2008 at 22:04:08

Comments

Guy Hastings
1   Posted 27/04/2008 at 23:12:11

And while they?re at it, can we please see and hear a swift (and brutal, if necessary) end to the Harry Enfieldesque "...and if you know your ?istory?? singalong shite. It?s just fucking embarrassing.
Joe McMahon
2   Posted 27/04/2008 at 23:18:15

I find myself "Cringing" at the and if you know your ?istory song.

YES we do know are fucking "istory" we know that this team has not reached a major final for 13 long years thank-you very much!
Adi Fran
3   Posted 27/04/2008 at 23:30:10

My personal favourite is at the start when the DJ says ’Live form Goodison Park’. Classic
Andy Hegan
4   Posted 27/04/2008 at 23:44:42

Just when I thought I'd bring up the "If you know your history" nonsense, happily someone has beaten me to it. Are there any other clubs that sing about their neighbours in that ,"maybe they are better than us but we dont care" way? Can we please consign it to the same dustbin as Dixie the Toffee mascot?
Andy Callaghan
5   Posted 27/04/2008 at 23:47:22

My favourite, albeit from the PA, is "STANDBY PROJECT GOODISON" at a million Decibels.
Mick Gillian
6   Posted 28/04/2008 at 00:07:31

The ’ if you know your history song’ is now embarrasing, at the Fiorentina match it was played before the match, half time, after 90 minute’s and probably between each penalty, please stop this song now, and bring ’the final countdown’ back
Steve Williams
7   Posted 28/04/2008 at 00:14:19

Just to balance it up.

I thought the introduction to the EFC Disabilities Teams was wonderful, humbling, emotional and made be burst with pride.

Even the Villa fans were clearly struck with the message of humility that came across - well done to them for applauding every last one of the players. And well done to EFC for supporting such a wonderful bunch of individuals who I’m sure don’t moan as much as everyone on here!
Robin Cannon
8   Posted 28/04/2008 at 00:34:57

That’s fair comment Steve, and it’s clear that the club does do a lot of good stuff (most financial support for disabilities groups of any football team in the *world* they said - if that’s true then that’s amazing, and why don’t more people know about it?). We’re good at that kind of thing too - respectful, not patronising, just an introduction and a comment and let the crowd reaction speak. Wish they’d do that for more.
Derek Thomas
9   Posted 28/04/2008 at 06:53:26

Amateur hour at half time is only the symptom. It all stems from the top. The amateurs at the top set the standard.
Gavin Ramejkis
10   Posted 28/04/2008 at 07:46:41

I’m amazed that no one has mentioned the pre match given that it only starts literally just before the game. One of my neighbours in the Park End funnily enough chatted to me about it on Sunday saying every other ground has the PA doing their job and building up the fans way in advance of the game not just 15 or twenty mins before hand. Bravo for the disabled kids though including my cousin’s son Max who did a brilliant Tim Cahill corner flag boxing imitation, he was made up to walk around the pitch and the applause he got from all sides of the ground including the Villa fans it really made his day.
Norman Merrill
11   Posted 28/04/2008 at 08:06:35

While the subject of pre-match and half time, dj antics are in question, Why does the buffoon from Radio City have to tell us the obvious, "The players will now shake hands, with the opposition and officials"

I had friends up from London for the Chelsea match, and they could not believe what they heard.

Lue Glover
12   Posted 28/04/2008 at 08:56:40

Presumably when we go to kirkby we won?t have to listen to ?yer history? as it will have all been wiped out?

I think anyone with an ounce of generosity of spirit will have applauded the groups as they walked around the pitch. Well done to them.

Does anyone else have trouble undestanding what this PA chap is saying? The ?usual? guy is ok but the fella from yesterday was talking gibberish half the time.

Patty Beesley
13   Posted 28/04/2008 at 12:05:37

Standby Goodison project HAS definitely got to go.....and that announcer?s voice goes through me like a knife.
Lewis Abbott
14   Posted 28/04/2008 at 12:01:51

I hate the way they get on true Everton legends and by this i mean Sharpy (mostly) to push that stupid button!!!

What did they do to deserve this???

It's pathetic... and it got so bad against Chelsea when they lined like seven of them up with cards in their hands an then the stupid DJ even got one of the names wrong (Bailey I think)

It's stupid... even worse than than the shite they have at Wigan

And I hate the ?if you know your history song? too. I am only 19 years old so the only history I know is one FA cup and everything else has not been good enough. It is not a good thing to sing a song that admits your not as good as the teams you rival.
Tony Williams
15   Posted 28/04/2008 at 12:44:02

I couldn’t give a monkeys about the half time show as I am usually downstairs trying to enjoy my warm pint of piss.

Oh for the good old days when they sold Budweiser at the ground instead of that tasteless Chang.
Mike Hughes
16   Posted 28/04/2008 at 13:05:27

Totally agree half time is embarrassing and when something is embarrassing you want to keep quiet about it which is a bit difficult with the PA system. Can?t we turn it down? You can?t even have a normal conversation with people sitting next to you. The dancing cheerleader girls were great from a few years back. As for bringing Budweiser back...... surely it?s the most tasteless lager in the world (though admitedly I?d drink in preference to red shite Carlsberg).
Chris Briddon
17   Posted 28/04/2008 at 13:18:06

Derek - you can let some of them pass you know, you don’t have to slag off the board for everything all the time.

However I’m sure Bill forgot to tell Lee Carsley to close down Gareth Barry, whilst at the same time Keith Wyness misled Joleon Lescott into beieving that Carew was only 5ft 2
Alan Willo
18   Posted 28/04/2008 at 13:10:44

Good post, I?m glad you all agree about the "if you know your history song" I hate it so much I leave my seat when the added time comes up then run out once the whistle goes. It is a complete embarrassment to the Club and fans. At the start of the second half why not put Z cars on again, or better still nothing!! I know we love our History but that?s exactly what is it, we need to move forward and not keep looking back otherwise we become obsessed and its not healthy. Let the modern players make History (for the correct reasons) and then we can celebrate them too in balance. Do you remember the ?ladies day? game? How cringe worthy was that day??????!!! Sometimes the club try too hard to please everybody when hit the bar and the first half highlights on the screen are sufficient.
Tony Williams
19   Posted 28/04/2008 at 13:36:21

Mike you may think that Budweiser is tasteless but compared to that horse piss they are serving now it would be like nectar from the Gods.

One of my mates yesterday even asked for a John Smiths, as he hates Chang that much.

Maybe we should get sponsored by Stella, that would be fun. Fighting in the lower Gwladys would hit an all time high and the wives and girlfriends would dread the team losing. :-)
Mike Hughes
20   Posted 28/04/2008 at 14:53:21

Tony - I like Stella but have to agree that too many and you can end up having an argument with yourself. (Cains Liverpool 08 lager is actually pretty good I think but they won’t sell this at G.P. - have only seen in bottles at supermarkets.)