Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Racial Abuse

I'm sorry to write this article but I am personally disgusted at the behaviour of some of our own fans. I am currently a season ticket holder in the Park End around the area of Row S/T in the low 100's.

For most of the season I and other ticket holders have had to put up with foul and abusive language that has escalated recently to include racist abuse against both Sean Wright Phillips and the lad Young from Aston Villa. I have had enough and will not be renewing this year purely because I am not listening to some mindless idiots calling themselves Everton supporters who find it amusing to behave in this manner.

I love this club but there are children in the area and something should be done to stop this without fans having the fear of repercussions as one of the individuals has been warned for his behaviour already. Good luck for next season and I hope you publish my concerns.
Steve Murphy, Southport     Posted 28/04/2008 at 21:09:35

Comments

Steve Guy
1   Posted 29/04/2008 at 06:38:56

Why didn’t you or others report the culprits to Stewards, the Club or Police ? These morons should have been evicted and banned. By not doing anything to stop them they have "won"; they will be back next season whilst you will not.
Steve. Guy
2   Posted 29/04/2008 at 06:45:55

I meant to add to my original comment that we have a home game left this season so you still have the opportunity to identify these idiots to the authorities. Do the right thing.
Connor Rohrer
3   Posted 29/04/2008 at 07:58:06

I doesn’t suprise me. Its not a Goodison thing its a thing in general. It happens everywhere to be honest. At other grounds across the country and at other sporting events.

I actually heard racial abuse from our fans towards Asians from Birmingham in the Gwlads street end. Very very dissapointing to be honest.
Tony Williams
4   Posted 29/04/2008 at 08:49:57

I heard them too Connor, didn’t last long and wasn’t very loud but audible all the same.

The stewards don’t want to know, as they aren’t paid enough to wade into 50 morons and try and get them out and the policeman next to me wasn’t arsed either.

Steve, how long have you been a season ticket holder? There have been a lot worse times than this season and a lot more voices to be heard, so I assume you are quite new to it then?
Steve Williams
5   Posted 29/04/2008 at 08:54:19

Being a member of a ’free’ society also brings responsibilities.

Your responsibility is to report these low life to the club and the police. I can well understand that you don’t feel able to confront them yourself but get the club to do it. You owe it to yourself, your club and those being abused.

However a word of warning; I witnessed something similar at Middlesboro’ last season - they even abused Yobo! I took down the seat details and reported it to the club. They took my details, thanked me and told me they would report back with their findings. To my disgust, I’m still waiting.

But please do not let this stop you from reporting this. It is all of duties to rid our grounds of this disgraceful behaviour.
David Marsden
6   Posted 29/04/2008 at 09:10:52

So do you hide your head under the sand in the rest of your life Steve. Stand up for your opionions, don?t just hide behind a keyboard.
Vishal Poorundersingh
7   Posted 29/04/2008 at 09:15:08

I?m a Mauritian and Indian Origin,I would like to know if will I be treated the same way If I come to Goodisson next season. I love this club as every Evertonian does but I will be sad if I?m being abuse for racial discriminations. Please advice me?
James Anderson
8   Posted 29/04/2008 at 09:21:58

Vishal, this incident in no way reflects the club as a whole. Merely a couple of idiots who don't know how to express their anger. DO NOT BE PUT OFF!
Steve Williams
9   Posted 29/04/2008 at 09:24:44

Vishal,

By the vast majority, you will be made to feel very welcome. However you are still likely to come across the same small chance of discrimination in the ground that you may experience walking down a High Street. Remember, football is a reflection of society and society still has its idiots.

Please don’t let this put you off the opportunity of experiencing Goodison. You may only have a short couple of year’s left!
Tony Part
10   Posted 29/04/2008 at 09:32:02

The basic thing is we still have a few young and old pricks who still think dinosaurs roam the Earth and live and act like neanderthal men. In other words the cancer that they are on the streets are the same as they are when they somehow crawl their way through our turnstyles. If your reading this, PRICKS... Fuck off to another club or maybe just do what you do on street corners best. Just blow eachothers heads off with your illegal firearms and do all of us decent people a favour. We don't want you on the streets and we certainly don't want you at our club. FUCK OFF NOW. That goes for a lot of the bone idol steward bastards too. Paid to sit on their arses. Nice job that, may apply for it...
Paul Joy
11   Posted 29/04/2008 at 09:25:00

Not surprised in the slightest at this report. We have our share of society’s low life who believe it is ok to say/shout/sing unacceptable abuse. We also have fans who tolerate this and other forms of abuse who by doing nothing condone the idiots. Steve - stand up for your beliefs and report this to the club and police (never mind the stewards). And if you hear it again speak out.
Vishal Poorundersingh
12   Posted 29/04/2008 at 09:34:19

Thanks a lot James and Steve.
Sean Allinson
13   Posted 29/04/2008 at 09:59:00

Steve Murphy, the process is simple. Take a note of the row and seat no.s of the offenders and contact the club. They will place a plain clothes steward (all very cloak and dagger) in the vicinity for a few matches and if they witness any abuse, the culprits will have their season tickets revoked and will be banned from the stadium. Your identity will never be revealed. It’s all very easily and cleanly done. Please renew your ticket, why should you let a few knobheads ruin your enjoyment when a simple process will rid us all of these cancerous pricks. By the way, don’t wait for them to re-offend to report them, they have already caused offence, do it now so the next time they spout their ignorant bile it is under the gaze of the club.
Davey Militwitch
14   Posted 29/04/2008 at 10:57:05

I must just add to this article that it is so refreshing to hear such constructive and supportive responses about this horrible issue. There is absolutely no need for bigots like the ones mentioned at our club.
Everton has come an awful long way both on the field and off it, and I sincerely hope that these dick heads who call themselves fans do not tarnish the good work that so many people at the club and around it have worked so hard for.
I urge anybody reading this to stamp this type of behavior out if they witness it ? do not allow the brainless element to tarnish our People's Club motto.

Nelly Blythe
15   Posted 29/04/2008 at 10:58:04

Know exactly how you feel.... I had to have strong words with a young lad sat behind me on Sunday for raciallly abusing an EVERTON player... I was fucking fuming especiallly as members of my own family orginally hail from the Carribean. The lad doesn?t usually sit there so I didnt take the details of his seat as I didn't think the club would be able to trace him. I understand he was frustrated but to come out with the bile (which I find too vile to repeat) he did is totally unacceptable.

To be fair to him after I had strongly voiced my objections and explained my family tree he did apologise ( ...as I think I made him feel like a right arsehole) but that cannot justify his actions. I really hope that the shit he got from me will make him think next time.... To racially abuse anybody whether it be at a football match or anywhere else is abhorrent but to racially abuse one of your own players... well it beggers belief.

I didn?t get the chance (as I was too busy celebrating with my son & brother) but I would have loved to have seen the lad?s face when Yobo scored the second goal... priceless I?ll bet.

Yusuf Bobat
16   Posted 29/04/2008 at 11:16:55

I made my first visit to Goodison on Sunday and it was a fantastic experience and I can't wait to visit agian. I?m Asian and I was treated very warmly I was sat in he Upper Gladys end row K seat 211. Even though the result wasn't what I hoped for it was still a great day out.
Matthew Salem
17   Posted 29/04/2008 at 11:16:37

Vishal,

I too want to echo what has already been said. Idiots exist everywhere and unfortunately they sometimes bring an entire group in disrepute. The vast majority of Evertonians are happy to welcome any person from any backround. I am happy we have you. After all, you can be supporting the Shite instead!
Simple Simon
18   Posted 29/04/2008 at 11:58:06

Don’t let these pricks drive you away. My advice would be to renew your season ticket. Next season spend some time writing a diary of any abuse witnessed, complete with the seat numbers of offenders. But be careful that they don’t twig that you’re up to something. Then report these morons to the club, the police and the Liverpool Echo (make sure the police and club know the Echo has been informed).
Michael Hunt
19   Posted 29/04/2008 at 12:43:51

These idiots aptly fit the description, ’Brain Doner’. They can’t actually support Everton either as they are also directly offending all our players at the same time. Especially the many superb black players in the team such as Lescott, Yobo, Yak, Pienaar etc.
The idiots are a cancer of society not Everton, but we should still do our bit to help the club iradicate the remaining cancer from our great Club. The NSNO applies to our conduct too afterall. PS. A black mate of mine (of Kenyan origin) was in town visiting a few years ago and I brought her to Goodison (Park End) to watch the (dire) FA Cup bore draw, she had no problems whatsoever and and a great day despite the team’s poor performance: She is now a bluenose as a result. Fortunately the brain doners are a very small minority.
Shez Khan
20   Posted 29/04/2008 at 13:26:13

Michael Hunt - great, positive post mate but have to disagree about the morons being a ?minority?. They may well be against our average 40,000 attendance however its a pretty big minority based on my experience! I am a lifelong Evertonian and stopped going to away matches due to these idiots and won't return until they really are a minority.

As I have said before however, I do make frequent trips to Goodison and everything appears to be ok there. Posts today however seem to indicate the opposite!

In my opinion, and its only mine, the club simply haven't done enough to eradicate the problem - stewards being the main problem.
Alan Codd
21   Posted 29/04/2008 at 18:51:02

I agree Shez
I wont go to away games because of some of the scum that unfortunately follow us.
To be fair its not just our team its the whole league.
But its good to hear that people are getting fed up of it
Kunal Desai
22   Posted 29/04/2008 at 22:41:48

Just to add, I'm Indian, had a season ticket a few years back and went to the Sunderland game this season. As far as I?m aware, Evertonians I?ve come across are great people, I haven?t endured any racist remarks or abuse aimed at me.
Maybe away games are different.