Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Tactics for the Arsenal game?

Been reading this great website for ages, but rarely bothered to post anything, but our struggle to finish fifth has got me sufficiently worried to ask what tactics should we employ on Sunday?

Considering that in the home game we matched them for half the game by playing football but came unstuck when they played a more sophisticated version of "hoofball" (ironic that, doncha think?), I think given our current form and missing or barely fit players in midfield, the only option is 4-5-1 and hope to sneak a goal. COYB
Roger Trenwith, Northampton     Posted 29/04/2008 at 11:56:59

Comments

Connor Rohrer
1   Posted 29/04/2008 at 13:47:03

4-5-1 it is for me. I don’t see the point in playing AJ. Bar his aimless running he brings nothing to the game. He never looks like he’s going to score and he rarely looks like he’s going to create.

I’d give Baines a game and drop on of the three central defenders. His pace and quality on the ball could give us another dimension on a bit pitch like the Emirates. Its not like he’s going to get done at the back post by Walcott or Eboue.

Bring Arteta in and move Fernandes centrally alongside Osman and Carsley. On a big pitch Fernandes would have the time and space to work his magic and his passing could bring the likes of Osman, Pienaar and Arteta into the game. Hopefully the 30 minutes will have done Mikky good.
Jay Harris
2   Posted 29/04/2008 at 14:18:33

Connor,
I agree with you but I dont think we?ll see Arteta again this season. His performance and body language against Villa confirmed that despite his 2 week rehabilitation in Spain he is still not fit. I would play Baines in a 5 man midfield and throw Vic or Aj on 2nd half depending on where the game is at.
Brian Egan
3   Posted 29/04/2008 at 14:20:15

Unfortunately I think its a certainty that Moyes will employ Neville and Carsley in midfield, as this has been his favoured tactic in most of the important matches of late.
Connor Rohrer
4   Posted 29/04/2008 at 14:24:19

Jay Harris, I agree with you but if he gets a week’s training under his belt he’ll be alot better. Baines in there wouldn’t actually be a bad idea but I don’t think Moyes fancies it. He hasn’t used it since the Spurs game. I think we’d see Neville in midfield before Baines.

Brian Egan, Moyes won’t go with Carlsey and Neville unless he has to. If Osman’s fit Osman will definatly play centrally and Fernandes has had a few decent games of late so it’ll be no problem playing him in the middle or on the flanks.
Dan McKie
5   Posted 29/04/2008 at 15:34:21

Arsenal also played a more sophisticated game of ’handball’ when they were over here too! Suddenly I dont feel quite so sorry for Eduardo! It will be hard against the gunners because we will need to get close and rattle them when they have the ball whilst playing some decent stuff when we have it, got to be 4-5-1 tho IMO if we are to have a chance, providing we have the personell.
Jonathan Tasker
6   Posted 29/04/2008 at 17:15:53

We usually turn up there with 11 white flags; I’m sure this time will be no different. Seriously, I’d put the reserves out and keep the first team for the Newcastle match.
Declan McCarthy
7   Posted 29/04/2008 at 17:33:21

It has to be 4-5-1, we’re ok with this, let’s hope Arteta is ok and wanting to play, this injury has me confused, well as we all know here the OS is useless for info, Fernandes has been ok the last few games, the players are beginning to trust him, yes we can AJ in later in the game if we need to,I don’t know why but I fancy us to get a draw, sadly I’ll miss it, the good lady and myself off to Canada for needed rest and Coors sorry I don’t like Chang.
Ray Lupton
8   Posted 29/04/2008 at 19:16:13

I dont think we’ll see Arteta for this one. They should rest him and save him for the Newcastle game. I suspect well see 11 behind the ball, backs to the wall stuff with Hibbert at right back and 2 holding midfielders in Neville and Carsley. Try and get a point and then go all out to beat the barcodes.
Syd Morton
9   Posted 30/04/2008 at 15:11:34

I've seen many formations come and go but essentially they have become more defensive as time goes by and we get more and more Europeanised. I wonder how this formation would do against a modern 4-5-1 or 4-4-2?

It's a 2-3-5

1. Howard
2. Neville                          3. Baines
     4. Jagiela  5. Yobo   6. Lescott
7.Arteta  8.AJ  9.Yak  10.Cahill 11.Pinnear

I'd love to see a game where a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1 had to deal with 5 forwards streaming forward. The Yak might actually get a pass inside the area.