Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

NOW is the time for hoofball

I have to confess that I`ve never had much of a problem with David Moyes`s penchant for `hoofball`. The man is a realist and when you have to rely on the silky skills of the likes of Carsley, Neville and Jagielka, it`s far better to play to their strengths than see them exposed as mere journeymen.

All in all,we haven`t done too badly by getting it and hoofing it have we? True we`ve played the odd team off the park but usually they`ve been the `no hopers` at the bottom of the league and we`ve got to fifth `on the hoof`. So on Sunday, I hope our man stays true to his natural inclinations and sends out a team to keep what they will start with. No point in trying to pass Arsenal off the park ? they`ll murder us ? so let`s tackle like dervishes and whack it as far away as is possible and get ready for the next onslaught.

Only by staying focussed on the job in hand will we get anything at the Emirates and the job in hand is to keep a clean sheet. So it`s five in midfield, the Yak on his own up front (and diplaying his newly aquired defensive qualities) and a huge cheer every time we wack it away. Don`t tell me that ain`t entertainment if Everton get a point!
Bill Merryweather, Old Swan     Posted 29/04/2008 at 12:47:37

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Welcome to the School of Science!
Dave Whitwell
1   Posted 29/04/2008 at 13:56:03

I would love there to come a day when we would take Arsenal on by playing football, I thought for 45mins at goodison we outplayed them with decent stuff, but I have to admit, I really couldn’t care less how we play on Sunday as long as we get a result, 3 points would be fantastic but I certainly take 1.
Patty Beesley
2   Posted 29/04/2008 at 13:58:29

Perhaps it would be better to hustle Arsenal players off the ball as in the old "Dogs of War" tactics - it used to work for Joe Royle i.e. the FA Cup against Man Utd.
Colin Jones
3   Posted 29/04/2008 at 13:58:07

Dave has finally stopped lurking and posted. If only you would "pension" hoofball into retirement I think more fans would be happy. Excuse my own up-tight penchant.
Dick Fearon
4   Posted 29/04/2008 at 14:03:28

Hallelujah! Meandering my way to the old folks dinner centre I had a blinding revelation.
It is not Hoof Ball, it is in actual fact, wait for it,
Long Range Two Touch or LRTT.
The more I think about it the more I am in awe of David Moyes.
The man is a bloody genius and I suppose for latching on to his plan I am a bit of one too, genius that is.
When everyone is thinking at ground level David and I are up in the clouds. From up there we can see things invisible to mortal man.
When our LRTT is perfected the midfield is not needed. We get rid of them and save money into the bargain.
Just think, Howard to Victor, Goal! Yobo to AJ, Goal! So incredibly simple, why hasn?t anyone thought of it before.
I would have my U/11s use that system but I don?t think they are ready for it yet.
Joe McMahon
5   Posted 29/04/2008 at 15:08:58

Dick- there is a Flaw with your plan. You said AJ would score!! Is that really gonna happen?
Andy Hudson
6   Posted 29/04/2008 at 15:30:14

I think we should employ the 6-0-4 formation on saturday. Lets face it our midfield is dead on its legs, can?t pass piss let alone a football and will be bypassed by our hoofball tactics and Arsenal?s fluid footy anyways.

Play a front 4 of AJ, Yak, Bic Vic and.... erm of yeah we only have 3 forwards... ok 7-0-3 it is then!
Dave Lynch
7   Posted 29/04/2008 at 15:29:26

Dick.
Apply for the aussie job. NOW !
Sod xmass tree formations, flat back 4s, goalkeepers on the overlap and men in the hole.
This is the way foward. Timmy could even play midfield on his own.
After all. He can’t do any worse than whats playing at present.
Fear Joe’s right about AJ though.
Flog him and buy someone with real height. How about Rob Earnshaw ?
Dan McKie
8   Posted 29/04/2008 at 15:39:24

There is a time and a place for hoofball I will admit but you have to know when that is! We at times play it far too much and its ok saying that its all Cars and Jags are good for but is it really? If they have time to control a ball and look up then they should have the capabilities to find a pass within 10-20 yards and if you havent got time or there is no pass on, then hoof it! The Emirates is one of the few away grounds where you will be afforded the space to play a little yourselves!
Andy Hudson
9   Posted 29/04/2008 at 15:47:21

Dan its all well and good saying ’they should have the capabilities’, but they dont! I remember screaming at the tv last season for Hibbert to pass the ball along the ground only for him to answer my shouts by rolling the beautifully along the ground... and our 18 yard box right in to the path of an opposition striker for them to score!

I for one feel a lot safer when the just get rid of it! Ideally we’d have a team of 11 world class ball players, we dont so Moyes instructs them to do what they do best and defend... after that just get rid.

I’m not saying its nice to watch but how many mistakes did Yobo used to make trying to play the ball out of the defence, or come wandering forward with it, only to trip over it and give it away in a dangerous area (usually for a goal to the opposition). Nowadays Yobo looks like a much more accomplished defender cause he wins the ball and gets rid.

I keep seeing people say the following and it is so true of our team, manager and style of play ’cut your cloth accordingly’.
Dave Lynch
10   Posted 29/04/2008 at 15:48:51

Seriously though.
If we play hoofball against them, they will tear us up for arse paper.
Big lads at the back who can also play a bit.
Superb mid when they knock it about and forwards with a lot of pace and skill.
We are going to have to keep the ball if we want anything from the game.
Something we have trouble doing lately.
I’d take a point in a heartbeat.
Andy Hudson
11   Posted 29/04/2008 at 15:59:49

Dave to be fair i’d be over the moon with a point. Your right with your diagnosis of their team, but even if we keep the ball were gonna struggle for anything out of the game. My main concern is hearing Wenger say this morning... "were still not out of the title race"... meaning they will be going hell for leather for the 3 points against us as they still beleive the title is up for grabs. It’ll take a minor miracle to get anything from the game, however I still beleive we’ll get 3 points from the Toon and Villa will only get 4 points from there remaining 2 games meaning we’ll come 5th.
Dave Whitwell
12   Posted 29/04/2008 at 16:20:34

Andy, as Man utd play on the Saturday, if they beat West Ham then Arsenal will be out of the title race, I guess then the only thing they would have to play for is the 2nd automactic CL place, rather than play the qualifying round.

Having said that they probably have more injuries than us at the moment so I don’t think its a bad time to play them.
Dave Lynch
13   Posted 29/04/2008 at 16:24:51

Just trying to be optimistic Andy.
Not kiddin anyone really am i ?
Fear my diagnosis and your prognosis are spot on.
Callum Wilson
14   Posted 29/04/2008 at 16:29:10

NO MORE HOOFBALL ok! Dont you understand you are gifting away possession and with AJ upfront to win the ball 5"6 against the big arsenal full backs do you think hes going to win it or maybe our really tall midfield. So we gift away possession and then let arsenal come at us again its awful to watch and against good teams never works for the reasons explained. I mean hoofing away the ball to arsenal ridicolous yes we arent going to play them off the park but where not going to win by hoofball either, but i do agree that we need to be physical with them but most importantly close them down early not stand off does gareth barry spring to mind and challenge for the second ball. Oh and while where there hows about passing and moving now am no pro but even i can pass and move on our team only piennar arteta and manny does it more than once a month. One guarentee though its going to be a gritty game.
Will Bruce
15   Posted 29/04/2008 at 16:37:26

Dick Fearon...judging by the bullshit of your post, are you sure you are not under 11, and not the manager of them?

That has to be the worst post of the year!
David Mathieson
16   Posted 29/04/2008 at 16:39:31

just out of interest is this nob head a yes voter. I really do hang my head in shame that everton fans have become like this it is a joke
Brian Waring
17   Posted 29/04/2008 at 16:42:35

It doesn’t matter who the fuck we play. Be it Arsenal to Fulham. We alway’s play hoofball. The negative tactics of some fan’s so called ’messiah’ Davey Moyes.
Ian Aspinall
18   Posted 29/04/2008 at 16:56:58

Is everyone forgetting that when we faced Arsenal at Goodison in the first half we did play them off the park. The 4 - 1 scoreline was down to individual errors (namely Jag?s errors), after Arsenal themselves had to resort to longball tactics, such was the quality of our own play.

Lately weve resorted to longball yet again, and the success is limited as the results suggest. While our defence musn?t be excused for playing these hopless balls upfront, I can sympathise in the fact that our central midfielders do not show for the ball. Cars doesn?t want it and Ossie does his Harry Houdini act and disappears all too often. While Manny is shunted out wide and completely out of position to accommidate far worse players. While Arteta overall has been a success out wide, is there a pattern forming with Moyes lack of faith with anything creative in the centre.

Danny Relph
19   Posted 29/04/2008 at 19:05:24

Dick Fearon,

Probably not the time or place for this but do you fancy an U-11 friendly?
We could practice hoofball between the goalkeepers
Steve Mink
20   Posted 29/04/2008 at 19:36:57

It’s at times like these that I really do think that some people go to watch a different game to me.
Brian Waring
21   Posted 29/04/2008 at 19:41:12

Steve Mink, could you enlighten us, as to what game you watch?
Dick Fearon
22   Posted 29/04/2008 at 21:53:00

Hey you blokes, lighten up a bit, it was merely a bit of humorous banter about our hoof ball syndrome. Having despaired of ever seeing a passing game I followed that well known saying, You have to either laugh or cry.

Some of you would benefit by taking a coaching badge and putting it into practice on your local park. Meantime, leave my U-11s out of it or expect to be shirt-fronted by a mob of angry mums.
Connor Rohrer
23   Posted 29/04/2008 at 22:59:08

The funny thing about Villa was they hit it long all the time. They play hoofball more than us but they use it effectively. Boot it up to big John Carew and have pacy Agbonlahor and Young picking up the pieces.

There an effective long ball team whereas we are sadly not.
Danny Relph
24   Posted 30/04/2008 at 00:08:54

Dick
I was serious about the friendly
Stuart Reid
25   Posted 30/04/2008 at 00:08:45

Honestly, sometimes I despair. I’m sorry but how can anyone possibly be happy to see the game played in that way? Not only is it horrific it is totally ineffective when you’ve got a 5 foot 8 striker up there. There is no excuse for hoofing it all the time.

On a similar point, did anyone hear Sam Allardyce on Sky after our game? My God, if football is really going the way he says it is I’m going to stop watching. The guy has such a cynical attitude to the game. People say it’s about winning but why does winning a game of football even matter? On its own it doesn’t. It becomes important once you support a team but if you get no pleasure out of watching why bother?

Big Sam’s comments make me cringe. I hope Moyes doesn’t get that negative. To be honest if we’re going to play long ball I hope teams that play properly beat us.
Dick Fearon
26   Posted 30/04/2008 at 01:44:46

Denny Relph, where is your team located? Mine is in Bunbury, Western Australia. Cheers,
Danny Relph
27   Posted 30/04/2008 at 03:16:39

oops - A bit far methinks
Is that on the 89 route?
Jason Lam
28   Posted 30/04/2008 at 02:52:02

You want to create as much scuffles and ill-tempered tackles to disrupt Arsenal’s play as frequent as possible. Kick out at Fabregas every now and then. But we can’t play Dogs of War if we only have puppies in midfield. The players won’t get on the ref’s back either. What the fuck is the canteen feeding our players?

I foresee lots and lots and lots of running. The lack of skill we make up for endeavour, as Moyes and Capt Pip rallies his ’troops’! Mindless chasing down the ball, and hoofing to the corner flag. Followed by mindless chasing down the ball, and hoofing to the corner flag. Repeat until summer holidays. Oh, don’t forget the running. NSNO fucking hell.
Peter Bradshaw
29   Posted 30/04/2008 at 04:51:44

All the hoofball fans, what do we do when we go a goal behind, totally reshape the team to try and grab one, then Arsenal who have been known to score the odd goal hit us on the break for another, then we bring Big Vic on who huffs and puffs, and we go another goal down. Then Moyes shits himself and brings on Baines for AJ for damage control and they score again. By this time it is coming up to half time........I fear the worst, the only way to play a top 4 team is to go at them, dont let the breathe on the ball...............do we have the legs or fitness to do that...........err no, I think we should sign Barry Horne, Joe Parkinson, Anders Limpar and the sliky skills of Kevin Langley. and upfront we ask Tesco to release Brett Angel...now that would confuse everybody........Mum wheres me pills..............
Steve Ryan
30   Posted 30/04/2008 at 06:06:14

Bill Merryweather are you for real? Why dont you go and watch rugby if like the big up and under. Then again, why dont we just re-sign Unsworth and Stubbs to deliver those 70 yard specials........unbelievable post. With supporters like you around, Moyes will feel comfortable promoting this horrible brand of football for another 6 years.
Robbie Williams
31   Posted 02/05/2008 at 19:03:53

When will we stop playing Carsley and Neville in the midfield??? We have a player in Manny who in time will be one of the best central midfielders of his time...... that is why when we play the top 4 teams we always revert to hooffball. Two players who at best are Division 1 players.