Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Yobo's Goal Celebration

Does anybody know what Yobo's goal celebration was about on Sunday?

He appeared to be making a 'talking' or 'keep your mouth shut' gesture to the Street End.

I was listening to a phone-in afterwards and a fan suggested it was a 'shut your mouth' gesture in response to criticism Yobo received. If this is the case, JO'BO is playing a dangerous game as Everton fans have been very loyal to him even following some major mishaps and mistakes.

Can anybody explain or comment?
John McKie, Liverpool     Posted 29/04/2008 at 13:52:39

Comments

Stefan Tosev
1   Posted 29/04/2008 at 17:32:24

You are right I haven’t seen any Everton player slated by Everton "fans"
Connor Rohrer
2   Posted 29/04/2008 at 17:32:19

Its his celebration. He done the exact same thing against Portsmouth at the end of last season.

As if he’s telling the fans to shut there mouth. The atmosphere was good on Sunday and everyone was right behind the team.

Yobo is a fantastic servant of this club, the vice captain and having met him has nothing but nice words to say about Evertonians.
Ric Wallace
3   Posted 29/04/2008 at 18:02:35

Yobo has always done a celebration like that in his years here.

He either cups his ear, or puts his finger to his mouth.

It’s just his celebration.

It’s pathetic people are trying to read into it- there is nothing obscene or untoward about it.

I’m getting fed up of listening to City 96.7 now simply because after the match I am listening to a bunch of morons talk about Everton.
One guy even said teams around us like Rovers will be outspending us in the summer! Ludicrous.
The majority just follow the official line. i.e. 3 weeks ago Fernandes was crap and never should be allowed to play for Everton. Now, they all think he should be signed up!

I despair. Sorry for the rant.
James Bernard
4   Posted 29/04/2008 at 18:14:34

I believe when he made the mouth hand gesture it was his way of saying "The Villa fans shouldn?t have opened their big mouths". And when he cupped his ear he was just enjoying the fans noise. This is what I think anyway.
Robbie Muldoon
5   Posted 29/04/2008 at 19:10:23

Al Smith
6   Posted 29/04/2008 at 19:17:35

And how do you know that Robbie?

Why would we give Moyes 8 million with a year left on the contract, and him saying we need more investment
Neil Humphrey
7   Posted 29/04/2008 at 19:15:26

Robbie Muldoon. Moyes will spend £20M this summer. And I will laugh in your face.
Joanne Gaskell
8   Posted 29/04/2008 at 20:29:25

This just is his celebration as I remember him doing it last season when he scored against Chelsea!
Mike Hughes
9   Posted 29/04/2008 at 21:53:39

I believe Yobo couldn’t hear the Street End because, like most of us, his hearing has been impaired by the volume of the bloody PA system. His mouth gesture was sign language as he believes most of us must also be deaf by now.
Steve Rooney
10   Posted 30/04/2008 at 08:36:32

Thanks all, for clearing that up. I was not aware that this was Yobo?s customary gesture, and have to confess to feeling deeply relieved. Given the shameful history of sections of our "fan" base, and given Yobo?s skin colour, I had feared the worst.

Oh me of little faith...
Tony Waverleas
11   Posted 30/04/2008 at 11:10:56

"...Blackburn will outspend us in the summer. Moyes will only be given £8m to spend..."

From now on can we use this as the benchmark for contributors who don’t know the difference between wild, unsubtantiated speculation and fact?

If you make statements, Robbie, do us all a favour and prove them.
Robbie Muldoon
12   Posted 30/04/2008 at 12:22:57

Yous all seriously need to get a grip. I have heard by word of mouth that Moyes is set to be given £8m by Kenwright at the start of the transfer season. It may prove to be bullshit, but I don?t know why some of you find it ridiculous.

Other than last summer, when it looks like money came out of nowhere to sign Yakubu, we were all fuming about how little Moyes had to spend.

With Kirkby stadium prices rocketing I can defo see a pot of £8m plus whatever Moyes makes of selling players.

We will see...
Dave Smith
13   Posted 30/04/2008 at 12:32:58

I just think he’s a Hulk Hogan fan!
Peter Roberts
14   Posted 30/04/2008 at 12:46:13

Robbie, we stand to make £44m in prize money this year for finishing 5th/6th, so your saying we will only have £8m to spend must be quite wide of the mark. When you factor in this year our revenues will go up due to the extra UEFA/Carling Cup matches then we will surely have more than that. If we do then I think the fans will try to force Kenwright out as it?s clear where the money will go (and it ain?t on the pitch)
Matthew Johnson
15   Posted 30/04/2008 at 14:02:41

I?m sure we can tolerate it, it?s only once a year after all!!!
Michael Enggaard
16   Posted 30/04/2008 at 14:27:42

What major mishaps and mistakes? Yobo is an outstanding Evertonian; if everyone played up to his standards, we?d be League Champions by now. This guy makes me proud.
Patty Beesley
17   Posted 30/04/2008 at 15:57:44

I don?t care what gestures he makes as long as he scores!! [Apart from "own goals" of course!!]
Wayne Smith
18   Posted 30/04/2008 at 17:21:58

It is known that moysey and bill meet in london every summer,and gets told (last 3 years anyway),that he has 8 mill to spend,moyes only had 11 mill for the yak due to a few players leaving over 18 months.
Now im not saying with europe this year and another decent finish in the league,it will be that again,but dont be surprised.
He will probably spend 13 mill,cos of faddy?s sale.
There is a reason moyes said he wants more funds,he wants to challenge the elite.If he doesnt get the funds he thinks he will have taken us as far as he can,and with celtic winning nowt,you couldnt blame him if he was offered millions and cl football.
My belief is he wants silverware and wants the board to do there job and get some decent money together.
I love everton!
Ron Leith
19   Posted 30/04/2008 at 19:29:07

Yobo was saying to the fans to tell the tanoy woman to shut up with Operation Goodison Exercise boing Operation Goodison Exercise Boing. Why is it we have to have this Health and Safety crap? The stewards should be trained when the ground is empty. They leave to open the gates and then we get a fight in the stands. Operation Goodison Exercise my arse.
Robbie Muldoon
20   Posted 30/04/2008 at 23:03:38

Spot on, Wayne.

All I?m saying is I wouldn't be surprised. What if we will still be paying for Yakubu this summer as well??

I think to make strides this summer we need another mix of bargains from the lower leagues and a couple of pricey international players.

Oh yea, well done Chelsea for beating the Red Shite.
Anthony O'Brien
21   Posted 30/04/2008 at 14:31:01

Did anyone notice the our bench when Yobo put us ahead on Sunday?? I did. Everyone jumped up and celebrated except........... Fernandes. He had a big sour grin on his face, looked like he didn't care. I for one hope we don't sign him in the summer; he isn't the same player we had last season. Leave him go I say.
Robbie Muldoon
22   Posted 01/05/2008 at 12:46:41

Anthony,
I'd be pissed off too if I had just spent my whole game getting shouted at by David Moyes. Probably shouting at him to defend more or something against his nature.
Ian Tunny
23   Posted 01/05/2008 at 19:15:49

Everton are always making out as if they're skint so they don't get ripped off in the summer... it's good thinking. We got £8 million for the Chang sponsership alone as well as money for McFadden. I can see us spending over £20 million plus another loan deal and a couple of youth team players breaking through. Have faith!