Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Davey always gets his man...

Hope it's just talk, but www.4thegame.com are linking us with a summer swoop (!) for Wigan's out of favour midfielder, Jason Koumas. I know some of you on here rate him, but he's had chances galore in the Premier League and never cut it. He's also 28, so not one for the future. We'll be after Earnshaw next...

Didn't Davey learn his lesson after Davies? Don't go for someone you were after 5 years earlier when maybe they were half decent. Maybe with the finances that's the level we can expect.
Matt Traynor, Singapore     Posted 30/04/2008 at 02:33:23

Comments

Ian McDowell
1   Posted 30/04/2008 at 05:58:40

I hope we don?t go for Koumas and I expect that we won?t. He is a similar type of player to that of Piennar, Osman.
Gavin Harris
2   Posted 30/04/2008 at 06:45:47

Or maybe it's because they are Welsh? What next Aaron Ramsey?
Stefan Tosev
3   Posted 30/04/2008 at 07:27:28

How can you have a go against D. Moyes for Koumas is beyond me - 95% of rumours are bulshit as its this one. If you have taken little time to analyze all his signings in the last 2-3 years you will see that he is after 23-25 years old players with potential (short-term loans like Gravesen and Gardner excluded)
Connor Rohrer
4   Posted 30/04/2008 at 07:43:24

I’d only take Koumas if it was on loan and he was coming in to be a squad player. Moyes likes players who can play left, right and centre and Koumas can do that.

He’s better than Simon Davies in my opinion. Not as hardworking but he’s technically better and has a better cross. On his day he’s a classy player but lacks consistency.

Moyes obviously rates him as we tried to sign him last year aswell as at Tranmere.

Like I say don’t spend money on him unless its a very cheap price or its a loan. Useful sqaud player and nothing else.
Joe McMahon
5   Posted 30/04/2008 at 09:10:25

Fear Not Everyone ? I?m sure we will also put in a bid for Lee Trundle.

Connor Rohrer
6   Posted 30/04/2008 at 09:25:23

Talking of Wigan I like the look of Wilson Palacios. If we miss out on Fernandes then he is the type of player we should be looking at in my opinion. Young, ambitiotius, hungry and with good technical and physical attributes.

Versatile aswell. Gave Hibbert a run around on the left wing at the JJB but is now playing centre midfield for them. I think he’s someone we should definatly take a look at.

Much rather him than Jason Komas.
Tony Part
7   Posted 30/04/2008 at 09:29:52

The only thing I cannot understand is we have had dozens of chances to sign him over the last five years so why would we wait until he is 28?

Ok, 28 is hardly that old but I bet he would still command a fee in the region of £4.5 million. I think Moyes is probably looking for quantity and not just quality this summer as too often he is getting team selection headaches at the end of each season with not signing enough players during the summers. Koumas I would think would replace the likes of Gravesen in the squad in numbers terms and if we can get two or three top class additions then I will settle for two or three average to decent players coming in also.

Nelly Blythe
8   Posted 30/04/2008 at 09:59:58

Just about sums up this board....a player who cant even get a reular game in the WIGAN ATHLETIC side. If that’s the strength of our finaces then if I was Moyes I’d tell Kenwright, Wyness et al to FUCK OFF !!!
Mark Cassin
9   Posted 30/04/2008 at 10:40:34

We get linked with at least 30 players a season so do you not think this rumour could be Bullshit!!!!!
Dave Whitwell
10   Posted 30/04/2008 at 10:54:58

Does anybody know for certain that Moyes has ever actually tried to sign him? I?ve never seen anything suggesting we had a bid turned down or that he is a player that Moyes is looking at.

Just media speculation me thinks.
Jimmy Millican
11   Posted 30/04/2008 at 11:50:50

Its funny the way people just take this rubbish in as fact !!

Has no one never learnt that its garbage until the player has signed, and if ye want to believe a paper, look at the Liverpool Echo... no mention in that so far !

One word for a couple of ye:? gullible!
Andy Hudson
12   Posted 30/04/2008 at 12:09:40

Lazy journalism. Koumas in, Arteta out. They have no stories so look at players we’ve been linked with before and who is probably going to be available and just regurgitate old stories.

In the summer we will probably have 2 in and 2 out. (Out shandy and Grave Digger).

We’ll probs also get one more in on loan.

Wont be buying Koumas, Smith, Parker, Barton, or anyone else we’ve been linked with in previous seasons. Moyes will buy players who are quality and improve the 1st team. he has already stated he’s happy with the size of the squad, so will use his resources on 2 class midfielders in my opinion... Koumas isn’t one of them.
Michael Smith
13   Posted 30/04/2008 at 12:49:20

Does anyone know whats happened to Anthony Gardner who we signed on loan from Tottenham in January????
Tony Williams
14   Posted 30/04/2008 at 13:13:24

Gardner has been on the bench a few times, he was and always has been a backup for Stubbs.

Koumas, don?t make me laugh, we are linked with him every year, the same way we were linked with that goalscoring maestro Nugent.

Bullshit journalism, bored with no stories, let's make some up.
Michael Kenrick
15   Posted 30/04/2008 at 13:41:12

Gardner has been on the bench a few times.

Don’t believe that’s true, Mr Williams. As far as I know, he has not been named as a substitute in any senior games for Everton.
Nelly Blythe
16   Posted 30/04/2008 at 14:06:49

Gardner has NEVER been anywhere near the 1st Team
Terry Smith
17   Posted 30/04/2008 at 14:29:31

Koumas is not a bad player but we already have players like him & he is someone we don't need. I'm sure it's just paper talk...
Tony Williams
18   Posted 30/04/2008 at 15:20:56

I could have sworn I heard his name on the subs bench at least once at a home game but after double checking the OS I can admit I was wrong.

Soz
Michael Hunt
19   Posted 30/04/2008 at 15:32:37

Matt, Don?t believe the bullshit you read online and in the papers! Moyes has already stated we need to add quality and physical stature to the midfield this summer. Hence Koumas is neither good or big enough. I expect a big e.g. young african grock or two, plus the likes of Michael Bradley in the £3-5 mill bracket. A top drawer an.other surprise addition may be pulled out of the hat too. Still, that is all conjecture too and so any speculation is pretty futile really!
Phil Hamer
20   Posted 30/04/2008 at 16:35:37

Hey Gavin Harris, Aaron Ramsay is a brilliant player. Unbelievable vision, great passing, fabulous skills, great shot and only 17. Believe me he is an absolute GEM!! It will be something of a coup if we steal him from under the noses of Man Utd.
Simon Jones
21   Posted 30/04/2008 at 17:19:00

If its silly season in the papers then could we please be linked with Lionel Messi instead of some past-it numpty. Mind you I just about spat my tea out when I heard we’d signed Paul Gascoigne a few years back.
Jay Campbell
22   Posted 30/04/2008 at 19:42:17

We’ll really break into the top 4 signing the likes of Komas won’t we?? FFS!!!!

Chris Keightley
23   Posted 30/04/2008 at 19:38:51

He had better sign some quality because we look woefully short on numbers and our team hasen't the creativity to sustain a top 5 placing next season. In fact I'd be supprised if we are not overtaken by Villa Newcastle Spurs Blackburn Boro and Pompey ? in fact I will expect a bottom half finish.

Those that believe we have the basis of a squad that can challenge the top four should put down the meths and get real.

If I was to decide who to keep I would say Lescott, Yobo, Yakubu, Jagielka, Pienaar, Arteta, Johnson, Vaughan and Fernandes; it would be cheerio to the rest.
Jay Wilson
24   Posted 30/04/2008 at 22:14:06

Chris Keightley...you?d let Howard go? Now who needs to put down the meths! If you expect a bottom half finish then maybe next you can be pleased when we are 5th with 2 games to play. I seem to remember the same chat last year about everyone overtaking us because they have more money...they haven?t overtaken us this season, have they?
Jason Lam
25   Posted 02/05/2008 at 03:12:33

I think we can take a summer holiday away from football and come back two days before the season opener when Moyes finally decides who he can loan and whoever’s leftover on the cheap. NSNO stuff.