Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

One Final Push

Just heard on the radio that Wenger is putting his fringe players on show this Sunday as they have nothing to play for.

Now, I believe we cannot rely on Wigan or West Ham to get a draw against Villa, so maybe this will give us a chance on Sunday if we go all out to get a result and the team reach even further into their tanks so that the final game against Newcastle is not such a nervy occasion.

Or will Davey pack the midfield and defense in the hope we can hang on for a draw and spend the 90 minutes clearing our lines time and time again...???
Mark Griffiths, Chester     Posted 02/05/2008 at 09:40:43

Comments

Tom Campbell
1   Posted 02/05/2008 at 14:06:21

I heard he's only resting Van Persie.
Mark Griffiths
2   Posted 02/05/2008 at 14:13:45

I have heard it twice now that he is resting the majority of his players; I thought Van Persie was injured?
Scott Jenner
3   Posted 02/05/2008 at 14:20:31

I don’t care what Moyes does as long as we get at least a point. Anything else clould mean an early start to the season and another burn out next year. I strongly believe we can give them a game on Sunday. COME ON EVERTON!!!!
Matt Kassell
4   Posted 02/05/2008 at 14:22:32

Even their 2nd-string are brilliant - remember the League Cup a couple of seasons ago? We?ll still need to raise our performance to get something, but we ARE capable of this - we?ve got some brilliant players too.
Chris Fisher
5   Posted 02/05/2008 at 14:21:13

I've heard that, because they still have a very slim chance of winning the Premier League and as it's there last home game of the season, he?ll be going all out to win! Van Persie is definetly out through injury, so is that one with the spider on his head!

Anyway, nevertheless I expect us to win!! Moyes has said AJ needs to go back to being a pest in the box!! And if he gets brought down, to complain, because saying nothing clearly isn't working!! So I'm expecting a double for AJ in a 1-2 win!!!

Tony Hughes
6   Posted 02/05/2008 at 14:28:42

Matt Kassell, just who are these ?brilliant ?players then? Some very good one?s but brilliant? I think not!
Martin Barron
7   Posted 02/05/2008 at 14:35:29

Maybe not brilliant - but fresh and full of running
Dan McKie
8   Posted 02/05/2008 at 14:35:26

Why would he rest any of his players? Rest them for what exactly? I wouldnt take any notice of what Wenger says and just wait and see what the teams are! I hope we go out for a win though!
Micheal Murphy
9   Posted 02/05/2008 at 14:50:45

Just wondering where blues gather before the match for a pint.
Ian Tunny
10   Posted 02/05/2008 at 14:49:16

If he plays his fringe players, we can't afford to go into the game thinking they won't be up for it, this is their chance to prove to their manager they're good enough for the 1st team. We need to get stuck in and scrap for everything, not giving them a second on the ball. We've got to take this chance ? all 3 points could be vital. These last 2 games must be played like its there last ever 2 games.
Tom green
11   Posted 02/05/2008 at 15:17:44

Tony, two words" theo walcott".
Tony Williams
12   Posted 02/05/2008 at 15:36:53

There are two ways of taking that news (if it is even true):

Optimist - Young players who will be bullied into submission by the hardcore professionals in our team;

Pessimist - Young fresh players who will be full of running against our players tired legs and all of them wanting to prove a point to Wenger.

I am praying for the first option.
Brian Richardson
13   Posted 02/05/2008 at 15:42:08

Michael,

Most of the pubs anywhere near the ground are strictly Arsenal. I know a couple that ask to see your Arsenal ticket before they let you in. You may be better having a pint or two somewhere like Angel (some great pubs around there) and then get the tube to the ground shortly before kick-off.
Jonathan Tasker
14   Posted 02/05/2008 at 15:53:00

League Cup 3 years ago

their third team beat our first team
Billy Dean
15   Posted 02/05/2008 at 16:07:41

I just hope we attack for a change, instead of trying to defend for 90 mins and getting beat anyway.
Patty Beesley
16   Posted 02/05/2008 at 16:22:32

One final push!!! - Just read on the website that Arteta won?t play again this season because of his stomach injury and Stevie P and Andy J are both injured and will have to be assessed.

Looks like we are relying on the defenders again!!
Mike Whittaker
17   Posted 02/05/2008 at 08:20:29

With the fact we need to get at least a point on Sunday to keep ahead of the Villa, and the way David likes to 'play' against the top teams - does anyone else think that we wont get out of our own half this Sunday lunchtime?
Dan McKie
18   Posted 02/05/2008 at 16:28:25

Looking like we may struggle a bit player-wise! Ya never know tho, Wigan may get something at Villa and take some of the pressure off our lads for Sunday's game!
Trudy Boston
19   Posted 02/05/2008 at 17:04:03

I think it’s safe to say that there will be no repeat of the capitulation witnessed at the old Highbury stadium of three years ago, I still can’t say the scoreline!

We have beaten the Gunners twice at Goodison recently, and before you say it, Yes, I’m fully aware that the fixture is away from home, but as I said yesterday there’s no reason why the team cannot leave the smog of London with a point.

The Newcastle game I feel could be a contigency to three points if we do head north on Sunday with nothing.

It’s going to be close!
Helen Pull
20   Posted 02/05/2008 at 18:10:19

I?ve heard that Arteta isn?t playing again this season. That probably means that we will be treated to the Carsley / Neville midfield combo!

I think it will be a 6-0 draw to the home side ? on Sky too!
Francis Dadez
21   Posted 02/05/2008 at 18:30:55

Forget the injured & rested players, the in-form team, the table and all the rest.This match is like a cup final.
Michael Kennedy
22   Posted 02/05/2008 at 19:54:31

Michael Murphy....I believe the away pub is the Lord Nelson on Holloway Road
Tony Part
23   Posted 02/05/2008 at 20:33:52

Oh come on ? even Arsenal's second string will run rings around us... We have injuries galore and have only beaten Derby in the last seven games ? and that wasn't convincing.

I think Intertoto Cup now looks a certainty so, unless Villa botch up in two matches you would expect them to win, I would get used to the idea of no pre-season friendlies this summer.

Adam Bennett
24   Posted 02/05/2008 at 23:23:27

All we really need is a point because we can beat Newcaslte. Come on you Blues!
Laurie Hartley
25   Posted 03/05/2008 at 03:19:55

Not only have we got to win this game but I also believe we will. I?d much rather be dissappointed than a pessimist. Time for Manuel Fernandes to step up to the plate!

I think Everton will score at least two goals. One from the Yak and one from either Lescott, Yobo or Jagielka. Get the "I told you so!" folder ready! COTB FTRS
Rob Chan
26   Posted 03/05/2008 at 04:26:30

Sadly Everton had a choice of their destiny last week; now it's up to Arsenal if they want to loose this game, not Everton wanting to win this game. They need a miracle.
James Davies
27   Posted 03/05/2008 at 04:31:49

I can’t see Arsenal fielding a weakened team as technically they can still win the title. What if by some chance both Man Utd and Chelsea lost this weekend, Arsenal could close to within 1 point of the lead - if Wenger fielded an understrength team and lost while Man Utd and Chelsea both lost he would look an idiot. So expect a strong Arsenal team on Sunday.
Si Page
28   Posted 03/05/2008 at 05:51:59

League Cup 3 years ago??? McFadden sent of in the first 15 and they only scored from a defensive lapse by us at a corner in the last 5. Yobo fucked up to let Adebayor score with a header. Proper hiding there then!!!!
Tony Part
29   Posted 03/05/2008 at 08:07:35

Let's be realistic now. Anyone who has watched Everton over the last few months will know that we have no chance of going to one of the homes of the best teams in the country and winning. We never win on their turf and Sunday we are even less likey too.

The phrase ?Wengers putting his kids out? is very mis-leading. What will turn out is a team of energetic pysically imposing and more fresher players than what we have and they will continue to play to the Arsenal blue print which is pass and move and that's why we will have limited answers to it. These Arsenal kids are just the next Fabregas and Henry in waiting.I would love to think that Everton will have what it takes to get a result but that's not really on the horizon.

Even last week, I dont think we ever really played well, if we played well we shouldn't have conceded two goals in the last ten minutes which was basically amateur.

Love to think it will change on Sunday but the players look like they have lost the belief to win this season.

Alan Clarke
30   Posted 03/05/2008 at 10:07:29

I honestly don?t think Villa will win their last 2 games. I work with a couple of Villa fans and they?re expecting their team to finish 5th now. It?s a lot easier for a team to come from behind when there?s less pressure. Now that their fans are expecting to overtake us, the pressure?s on them and teams don?t play free flowing attacking football when they?re under pressure. I expect to see a lot more nerves amongst Villa?s ranks today and predict Wigan will get at least a point.

Plus if Villa are capable of putting a run together where they win 6 of their last 7 games then they?d surely have finished top 4. On the other hand if we?re capable of winning only 1 of our last 9 then surely we should have been relegated!

I think a win against Newcastle regardless of tommorrow?s result will see us finish in 5th.
Paul Maguire
31   Posted 03/05/2008 at 12:51:00

Not sure what post to add this but I?ve been up watching old EFC games on youtube tonight. (Rib injury from a late tackle = no sleep.) The main thing I have noticed is in the 80s when we were strong, Trevor Steven?s runs were so valuable in setting up goals (for Gray in particluar) and scoring himself. It does seem that we lack the incisive pace on the flanks to create opportunities. You wouldn't see Sharpy or Gray sending crosses in but that's what's happening now with Yak and others.

I've followed the Blues since 1970 (when I was 8) and although I live in NZ have been to Goodison on many occasions (I remember Gazza stay and applaud the fans when the whole team had pissed off (v Sunderland 2001). The upshot of this ramble is that we desperately need pace on the flanks to give Arteta and the strikers some chance of being in the right place to create and or/score. And get Manny signed up - this guy is special.

Keep up the good work Toffeeweb and posters - COYB from NZ!!
As you were..