Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Neville and Lescott

I was at the Arsenal game yesterday with a couple of friends and as usual the away end was full with the crowd getting behind the boys. What amazed me was, at the end of the game, the only two players to show their appreciation to the travelling support were the above named. To me, that was pretty poor and showed just how far apart players and fans are. Ok they had lost but the least they could have done on the last away day was salute the fans and show their appreciation. Whatever Neville might do on the field, he is in my eyes a pure gentleman. Well done to both him and Joleon.
Micheal Murphy, London     Posted 05/05/2008 at 19:55:36

Comments

Michael Dylan
1   Posted 06/05/2008 at 00:54:09

Yes. I agree with you.

Despite getting all kinds of nonsense thrown at him by "fans", it shows great character on the part of Neville to still applaud the traveling fans.

I seriously think he ain?t as bad as Osman who gets pushed around like a baby in a pram.
Dan Parker
2   Posted 06/05/2008 at 03:36:05

I always thought Phil Neville was crap when he was at Manchester United and some may argue he still is. What I will admit though is that I was completely wrong to judge him based upon the team he grew up with and played for. Phil Neville has been an absolute credit to Everton and it is rare to see such a pure professional in the modern game. He clearly has taken Everton to his heart despite his brother’s leanings and he’s a credit to the game. Well done Phil, keep it going and start scoring a few more goals!!
George Purdie
3   Posted 06/05/2008 at 08:11:47

Neville IS crap and a few half-hearted claps for the travelling hordes will never change that.If Everton actually ever won anything,the players could ignore me with impunity!
Lue Glover
4   Posted 06/05/2008 at 08:23:13

George, whilst I agree that Phil is not exactly a world beater on the pitch, his sommitment is second to none. Okay, that doesnt necessarily warrant him keeping his place in the team but he IS one of the few players who actually acknowledge our existence!
I’m a ST holder in the LGS and sit near where the lads come over for the final part of their warm up. Most players give a half hearted wave, some ignore the crowd completely and others are a little more friendly.
It means a lot to the kids who line up by the wall to have a wave or a smile from their heroes, it doesnt cost much does it?

Anthony Horabin
5   Posted 06/05/2008 at 09:26:17

Neville always applauds the crowd whether it be a home or away game. He may not be the best but at least he appreicates the fans support. Good on you Phil.
Mark Murphy
6   Posted 06/05/2008 at 09:56:27

I was at the 7-0 game at Highbury a few seasons back and the whole fucking lot of em came over at the end! Pistone threw his shirt into the crowd and if it had landed near me I?d a thrown it back! Dry as a bone it was! I know we had already qualified for CL but I was ashamed of the team that night. 1-0 at Arsenal is no disgrace I suppose but I can understand the players disappointment in not clinching 5th.
Arthur Jones
7   Posted 06/05/2008 at 10:00:27

Phil Neville is one of our least gifted players and is not really good enough to be included in a midfield position as he cannot enhance our performances. However, if every player showed his commitment to the team and our fans as he does, then we would be a much better team. It must pain him to look at the likes of VDM with his talent and total lack of application; if you could combine them both, we would have a world beater!!
Steve Templeton
8   Posted 06/05/2008 at 11:57:06

George,
Your wrong, Neville is not crap.

He is not a very good midfielder but he is a good right back which is something that is often overlooked by the hordes who look to berate him every week.

Next time he plays right back watch how many times he gets forward to support the midfield and attack and look at the quality of his crossing, particularly when Arteta is playing.
Dean Johnson
9   Posted 06/05/2008 at 13:20:54

Steve - wrong, Neville IS crap

Neville shows EXACTLY what I expect from EVERY Everton player, minimum.

Why can’t a player have both? Why can’t he be skillful and a gentleman (Arteta)
John Blestone
10   Posted 06/05/2008 at 13:27:55

I think people are reading too much into "players who applaud fans" and "players who dont".

This apart, I think Neville did pretty ok in the middle of the field last weekend. Osman seems to be the worst performer, fell far far too easily and lifting both hands up always .. hopeful for a free kick. Still, a reasonably good performance from Everton, didn't you guys notice, we really attempted to pass to feet, versus Arsenal. I'm impressed.
Tony Williams
11   Posted 06/05/2008 at 17:36:19

Mark, too right it was embarrasing but let’s be honest about 70% of them would have still been pissed from the Sunday allnighter in the Baby Blue.