Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Has AJ shot his bolt?

Increasingly in these columns we read criticism of Andrew Johnson`s prowess as a striker. Usually, these comments are tempered with tributes to the man`s boundless energy and selfless attitude. We hear he`s a really nice bloke, good to his kids and more than prepared to help little old ladies over the road! What he doesn`t do, anymore, is score goals!

Now non-scoring strikers are not a new phenomenon at Goodison Park. There used to be a guy called James Beattie who somehow lost the knack and before him Marcus Bent and Duncan Ferguson. Let`s just hope it doesn`t happen to the Yak! I suppose it could be said that all the above have become `better all round players` under Moyes but is that really what we wanted from them?

One of the paradoxes of this manager`s reign is that he has signed some good strikers but singularly failed to provide them with midfield/wingers` service on which they previously thrived. It`s as though he feels that by getting them to tear about and defend corners, goal opportunities will naturally present themselves.

Now I don`t think he`s ever going to change so what`s to do about it? Personally, I think AJ`s time has come and gone and whether that is down to Moyes, Wenger or referees is a matter of conjecture. It really matters not... only that we get the `next one` in time for the new season.

Alan Smith, anybody,Jason Roberts or even Saha? I`m sure they`d all welcome the opportunity to become `better all round players`!!!
Peter  Weaver, Skelmersdale     Posted 06/05/2008 at 14:02:57

Comments

Seth DeMerit
1   Posted 06/05/2008 at 16:45:09

AJ is going to West Ham

I know Im going to sound like one of those idiots in the silly season - but this is absolutley true. My misses, who wouldn't have any reason to make this up as she doesn't even like football, works in the city and one of her bosses who she knows well - is basically one of AJ's misses best mates. (I know, I know ? my mate's sister's cousin... but I'm telling you I really wouldnt bother typing this if it wasn't true)

Basically AJ was extremely close to signing for West Ham a few months back but didn't go through with it. His misses wants to go back to London and has had enough of up North ? and he wants to go back too as he misses the capital and his home. That's all my misses remembers her boss saying as she wasn't that interested ? even though I was gobsmacked by what she was telling me...

Maybe it will be proved true over the summer ? who knows....

Daley Thompson
2   Posted 06/05/2008 at 20:35:21

Did his misses cause your missus to miss the conversation that your missus boss’s missus heard while she missed the number 42 bus from mississipi.
Ray Robinson
3   Posted 06/05/2008 at 20:41:24

On current form, if AJ shot his bolt he’d miss his missus
Joe McMahon
4   Posted 06/05/2008 at 20:41:51

Seth - does your misses know where Lord Lucan is? Even more importantly does she know when AJ will score a fucking goal again?

I’ve never been a fan, 8.5 million, that’s a lot of money for 3 premiership goals in a season. He does actually have the weakest shot I have seen for a striker in 31 years of watching football.
Anton Holmes
5   Posted 07/05/2008 at 01:12:30

Yes, he can go for the same money. Mark Hughes has founfd Benni McCartney and Santa Cruz in the last two years for a combined fee of £6 million and how many goals have they scored?
Paul Chisholm
6   Posted 07/05/2008 at 10:51:41

I’ve got more chance of scoring with Kelly Brooke than AJ has against Newcastle on Sunday. If the ’appy hammers’, or anyone for that matter, want to pay anything in excess of £5 million for him, snap their feckin hands off.
Seth DeMerit
7   Posted 07/05/2008 at 12:14:34

I know what it sounds like - and I love the Mississipi gag - but it's true...

Just don't be surprised if heads back down to London this summer - I think he's a southerner at heart!

I'm with you lot though - wouldn't be too bothered if he did go - Everton should be looking for better quality upfront - Santa Cruz style.

Maybe that's why he is thinking of leaving - cause Everton is too big for him and he knows he's not up to it.
Helen Pull
8   Posted 07/05/2008 at 15:35:52

I actually think that some of this is unfair to Johnson. It maybe that he wants to return south, but hell, he?s not exactly been in a team that plays to his strengths!

There was much celebrating when he joined, in the heady days when he was allowed to play his natural game. These days he has to play the wings because that?s where the ball goes once it?s been hoof?d upfield. If he can?t get in the penalty area he won?t score - ever! If I was him I would be well pissed off with Moyes - but then I don?t get his wages!!