Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Wot no spot kicks!

If we end the season next Sunday by still not being awarded a penalty all season, does that mean we go in the Guiness Book of Records and has any other team in the Premier League not been given a penalty during a complete season?
Carl Williams, Bridgend     Posted 07/05/2008 at 12:15:14

Comments

Peter Keating
1   Posted 07/05/2008 at 14:32:34

Think we can thank Mr Arsene Wenger and his comments for that.
Tony Cornmell
2   Posted 07/05/2008 at 03:57:42

As we come to the final game of the season, I wonder if David Moyes reflects on his decision last season to call Keith Hacket in to show him the dozen or so penaltiess we should have got? Because the ref's have certainly paid us back in style this season with zero penalty decision's this time round. How many more points would we have got.
Matt Malecki
3   Posted 07/05/2008 at 15:16:18

To answer Tony’s question: www.rightresult.net

We’d be in fourth.
Tony Rice
4   Posted 07/05/2008 at 15:34:17

2 Questions....

a ) When was our last league PK ?

b) Has any other team in the top flight gone a whole season without a penalty ?
Lewis Abbott
5   Posted 07/05/2008 at 15:34:58

The rightresult.com site makes me feel sick every time I go onto it. We are the 2nd most ripped off team in the league bar Fulham and Liverpool are the team with the most extra points... sick!!!
Mick Wrende
6   Posted 07/05/2008 at 15:40:14

At least last season Johnson used to run at pace with the ball into the penalty area before going over. Now he doesn't even bother to do that.
Trudy Boston
7   Posted 07/05/2008 at 15:44:40

What?s the betting that Everton are awarded a penalty kick in the last fixture of the season against Newcastle?

Just to erase any conspiracy theories or so that the FA can?t be judged as biased.

I mean, someone in higher authority will be aware that we are are the only team in the Premier League not to have been awarded a spot kick this term. I said to myself about three games ago that it?s likely that Everton WILL be given a chance from the penalty spot this season, but with one game to go I?m beginning to have my doubts.

Incidentally, who is the official for the last fixture? Not Clattenburg I hope?!

Tony Part
8   Posted 07/05/2008 at 16:01:37

I actually think even though this may seem harsh the man to blame for Everton getting ripped off by refs is our very own David Moyes.

Now before everyone jumps down my throat here, I can understand Moyes being cheesed off after the Clattenburg derby but it seems you slag one ref off then you slag them all off and the refferees stick together like dried shite and once Moyes laid in to Clatten-burk we have been given nothing at all in our favour and I even count that scandalous decision at Blackburn ruling out Johnson perfectly good winner.

I don't blame Moyes for feeling Clattenburg robbed us because he did but I wish now that Moyes hadn't opened his mouth to the extent he did.

Last season it was just AJ that couldnt get a penalty and yes that was down to the opposing managers of certain teams but this season I think Moysie has no-one to blame but himself and that sounds harsh in some ways but he has created and ?us versus the refs? type of thing and its come back to haunt us.

Patty Beesley
9   Posted 07/05/2008 at 16:32:51

Tony ... poor old Davey - he gets blamed for everything even the lack of penalties!!!
Baloo Johnson
10   Posted 07/05/2008 at 17:02:03

We have only scored one goal out of God knows how many direct free kicks. What make you think if we were given any penalties we’d score them?
Dave Turner
11   Posted 07/05/2008 at 17:08:04

Baloo - call me crazy, but last time I checked it was a hell of a lot easier to score from 12 yards with just the keeper to beat than from 20 yards plus with a wall of players AND the keeper to beat...
Tony Williams
12   Posted 07/05/2008 at 17:34:19

Tony. last penalty was against Charlton last season....I think.
Karl Masters
13   Posted 07/05/2008 at 17:52:34

Last penalty was almost a year ago to the day - against Portsmouth at Goodison, scored by Arteta.

Put us on the road to a 3-0 victory and the UEFA Cup. Surprised so many have seemingly forgotten it.
Declan Brown
14   Posted 07/05/2008 at 18:06:45

It?s Moyes?s fault for the lack of penalty?s? God Almighty! Come on guys catch a grip.

I was delighted with the way Moyes went after Clattenberg verbally in the media. I thought it was brilliant, you can?t stand back and let referees cheat us like that just in case they might be worse in future?

Moyes raised some good questions and surprise surprise it all went quiet when answers were required. Fair play to him, I was proud of him during that episode, and long may he stand up for us like that in the future.

We?ve shown on several occasions what we have been up against. The league is corrupt in a way, that it is no longer an honest league, in the right terms of the word ?honest?, the main problem is money and the Sky4 teams believing their own hype, pressurising refs and screwing the rest of us.
Robert Moore
15   Posted 07/05/2008 at 18:30:19

I cannot get my head around it; how the hell have we not got a peno all season? It's a joke! You could add on at least another 10 points... Is anyone going to do anything about it, can anything be done? Make a video of all the penos not given and get all the refs to sit and watch it, and maybe explain what is going on. It's not going to happen but I'd love to hear the refs' commients.
Mick Gallagher
16   Posted 07/05/2008 at 18:36:06

Agree with Declan Come on Tony I bet at the time you never thought shut-up Moysie. I was made up he said what he said and the FA must have as well because fuck all happened to him. They only done him for the comments before the Uefa Cup game. So yes Tony you are harsh.
John Martin
17   Posted 07/05/2008 at 19:47:31

Out of the 4 we got in europe we missed 3 and we lost on pens to fiorentina so it might not be that big a loss not to get any! I am joking, of course; I dont think Refs have it in for us ? more a case of they favour the top 4 sides and are generally inept. Everytime Wiley ref?s us we get denied clear pens and fouls and is awful but when he refs say Man Utd v Arsenal he gets a lot of decisions spot on.
Will Leaf
18   Posted 07/05/2008 at 20:14:30

As above, does anyone know if a team has gone a whole league season without a penalty?

Not sure how to look this up.

And to add to the suspiciousness, you may have noticed Man City went deep into the season without a penalty (we were the only teams left without a pen) until they faded away out of 4th spot...then lo and behold...Man City gets a penalty...

So...this whole not getting a penalty conundrum can be solved by us not having airs above our station and not threatening 4th spot next season.

And to add to what was said above, I would not be surprised at all if we get more than the benefit of the doubt regarding a pen shout vs NU now that the season is done and dusted.
David A
19   Posted 07/05/2008 at 23:50:44

The penalties we have taken in Europe I think totals seven, missing four (43% rate). The rightresult.net assumes penalties awarded are scored, yet we actually miss over half of them.

Does anyone know how many goals we have scored direct from free-kicks?
David A
20   Posted 08/05/2008 at 00:01:45

A bookmaker is offering a "will a penalty be awarded" in the Everton Vs. Newcastle game. No @ 1/4. And Yes @ 13/5.

This would suggest a penalty is scored one in every four games. 1/4 .. great value.
Erik Dols
21   Posted 08/05/2008 at 09:28:49

David A, that would suggest that a penalty is AWARDED to EITHER of the teams/ And 1/4 includes the bookies profit, so it’s probably more like one penalty every 5 games. And that includes the opponents, so if the barcodes get a spot kick you lose your money.
Lee Spargo
22   Posted 08/05/2008 at 12:36:19

We’ll get one on Sunday, and miss it.
Tony Williams
23   Posted 08/05/2008 at 13:08:28

We have to actually be in the penalty box to get a penalty and the last two months we have not really been doing that.

Before the Fiorintina game though is a diffent kettle of spanners. I still sit in disbelief when I think about the Derby and Blackburn penalty shouts. Even the biased RS on MOTD said that both were assault.

AJ was nearly kicked out of the stadium in front of the ref and nothing was given, no wonder he is quiet, he is thinking he needs to tied in a chair Reservoir Dogs style to get a pen, piss take of the highest order....Grrr it’s got me going again
Tony Williams
24   Posted 08/05/2008 at 13:17:15

Robert Moore, Moyes did that exact thing last season and Hacket agreed we had been screwed but look what happened to us after that little meeting, we are still waiting for our first one of the season
Brian Wolf
25   Posted 09/05/2008 at 07:25:51

The only people to blame for not getting a spot kick are:

Arsene Wenger - The Instigator
Rafa Benitez - Referee’s best mate
Jose Mourinho - Media Savvy

Once Wenger put it out there the other two picked up it up and ran with it.