Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Why we should ignore the speculation!!

I know we all can't help it and we are all scratching now to see who Moyes goes for (Obviously the season ain't over and that might have an impact on who we sign), BUT the papers are really starting to do my head in already. If they got it right up to now and we have not even finished the season we would have replaced our whole team.

Here is what they think (you will notice an inclusion of an ever so regular because I think Moyes would never drop this person).

Hennesey
Neville Sharner Richard Dunne Madlung
Joaquin Huddlestone Bradley Sidwell

M'Bia Riki

It's really funny how these things look when you take in all the rumours.
Jimmy Millican, Huyton     Posted 07/05/2008 at 15:34:32

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Just proves what a load of crap it is... still, the punters luv it. And you can be fairly sure that we will get perhaps one of those names in... but which one?
John Lloyd
1   Posted 07/05/2008 at 16:22:36

I’ll stick my money on Jimmy Millican.......prob on a free!!
Patty Beesley
2   Posted 07/05/2008 at 16:23:19

And no doubt we will get all excited over the summer, scouring the internet, radio, tv for any signs of transfer talk and signings, and as usual will probably be disappointed as we end up with maybe one signing and loan deals.

Don?t get excited fellas - can?t see us splashing that much cash!!
Ben Jones
3   Posted 07/05/2008 at 16:34:39

Yeah fair enough the papers are always going OTT about it all. But it?s still exciting and surely getting players of the quality of Joaquin linked with the club must be a good thing, even if it might be a load of rubbish.

And Michael, all the comments I?ve seen from you is always moaning about transfer speculation
Mark Pendleton
4   Posted 07/05/2008 at 17:12:23

If any loan deals are of the Arteta / Pienaar quality then bring them on!
Dave Turner
5   Posted 07/05/2008 at 17:22:19

Joaquin is the one to get excited about for me - but I’m not holding my breath.
Matthew Lovekin
6   Posted 07/05/2008 at 17:55:11

I?ve heard it from an Arsenal source that Niclas Bendtner will join Everton on a season-long loan deal next season.
Connor Rohrer
7   Posted 07/05/2008 at 18:39:34

Although there rumours I think its pretty clear that Moyes is looking for a central midfielder which is good news. At least he’s figured out our weak point. Hopefully right back will be next.

I’d be disappointed if we signed both Sidwell and Bradley. I’d rather sign one of them aswell as a ball player with craft and creativity. Someone like Fernandes or Huddlestone would be nice.
Jimmy Crack
8   Posted 07/05/2008 at 19:51:59

Bradley’s agent told Sky that he’s probably moving to Germany next season...
John Fowles
9   Posted 07/05/2008 at 20:05:25

Huddlestone would be a great buy, and not too expensive as is out of favour at spurs. You’re right, Neville aint going anywhere ... sadly.
Keith Glazzard
10   Posted 07/05/2008 at 19:57:22

DM’s jaunt to Holland may not have produced what he might have hoped for, but as Connor points out, at least it indicated that he knows what he’s looking for. Patty, too, suggests that this is going to be at the young player with no huge fee or wage demands end of the market. So the Sidwell possibility does look in trouble from the start. All things considered, I can see more loan deals for next season.

But please, 3 points on Sunday first.
Danny Fleming
11   Posted 07/05/2008 at 20:42:26

These agents make me laugh they're such leechs "He prefers Germany, he likes the league and knows it better"... Anyone think he is trying to start a bididing war so he can line his pocket with a few more pounds or a few more marks?

Would love Everton to just go out and buy players and for blue bill not to go out and tell the whole world how much he is going to give Moyes (which he does every season) and maybe all the rumours might actually materialise into a reallity.
Declan McCarthy
12   Posted 07/05/2008 at 20:54:48

Now that we're with Tesco, who are world famous for their "three for the price of two" offers, how about Joaquin, Fernandes and Miguel thrown in for free? This stuff does my head in, best to ignore it.

For what it?s worth I think Bradley would be good, Sidwell not much better than Neville IMo, passes sideways as well although maybe Carsley's replacement. Pienaar, Fernandes, Bradley, Ossie, Arteta... sounds ok

I have to go, Dave?s just texted me for my advice. Keep you posted, catch you all 1st September. Promise!!!! Just heard we?re signing someone with the letter R from Bocca Juniors, you didn't hear it from me.

Adam Bennett
13   Posted 07/05/2008 at 22:09:30

It may only be speculation or it could be ture. Hopefully, the Joaquin one but it is nice to see us in the transfer news than usually other teams and we are linked with good players for once.
Glen Anderson
14   Posted 07/05/2008 at 23:30:16

We’re going to finish at least in the top 6 of the richest league in the world, we’re scheduled to get at least a million and a half from the Rooney deal if Utd win their next two "cup finals" and we probably earned a little bit of money from the UEFA cup run. To top matters off we are one of the top 20 richest clubs in Europe.

What makes people think we won’t splash even a little bit of cash this summer? Maybe no more 11 million strikers but I say Moyes will pull one or two rabbits out of his sleeve and then embark on his usual loan policy to shore up the squad.
Robin
15   Posted 07/05/2008 at 23:57:24

Glen - are you serious? Top 6, I’ll give you that, but do you really believe the Rooney money still exists and wasn’t written off for one / both of Neville / Howard?

We probably earned very little from the UEFA run - I’m sure Wyness said something along the lines of "we’ll break even if we make the final".

As for one of the top 20 richest clubs...I can’t believe people still believe that (not to mention that this stat was actually from the year before the one just gone). revenue may have been good that year but the expenditure column will have seriously taken care of any chance of us being "rich".

Moyes might get £10m-£15m, if he’s very lucky, plus a % of sales. But I’d be amazed if it was any more. Particularly with the exit strategy...sorry, new stadium...looking less and less likely by the day.

I think we’ll see a lot of movement in and out this summer. We’ll just have to hope that a) Moyes is the one making the judgements and b) his judgement is as sound as usual.
Jimmy Crack
16   Posted 08/05/2008 at 01:55:43

I don’t think we’re going to see too much action in the transfer market this summer, Robin. Moyes has a stable team a lot of whom have signed long-term contracts, so we shouldn’t let too many go apart from Gravesen and Gardner. I think we’ll see two big signings (hopefully in midfield) and a couple young squad players
Mark Cassin
17   Posted 08/05/2008 at 02:14:56

@Ben Jones I totally agree with you.

I work in Foreign Exchange which amounts to fundamental analysis (news) and technical analysis (what we can determine). Obviously we need midfielders and Moyes has been seen watching players so I don?t really know the point of this ?article?.

Jimmy Millican you sound like a binman -- are you our new Southall ?
Matt Higgins
18   Posted 08/05/2008 at 06:02:49

I wouldn?t be so quick to believe those reports of Bradley preferring a move to the Bundesliga. His agent is Ron Waxman, not Kon Schramm.

The original story:

The refutation:

Don?t be put off because it?s a blog -- Ives knows his stuff. If anything, Everton probably have the inside track because of Baby Bradley?s ties with Tim Howard from their days in New York.
Den Masters
19   Posted 08/05/2008 at 09:44:49

I have it on good authority that there is every prospect of the Neville brothers joining up again here next season.Apparently,Moyes would like to see Gary at right back and Pip in the Carsley role.If the Mancs end up owing money on the Rooney deal by way of performance add-ons,it’s a certainty to happen.
Paul Chisholm
20   Posted 08/05/2008 at 09:47:09

I don’t give a flyin feck who we sign, as long as it’s not Stephen Carr. Signing someone of his calibre would send out a clear message that the club has no ambition and would once again be content with picking up the scraps left by the so called big four. There’s an old adage that says you have to speculate to accumulate, therefore isn’t it about time we did a little speculating.
Gavin Ramejkis
21   Posted 08/05/2008 at 10:30:22

Just heard Fat Manuel is now sniffing around Joaquin.
Richard Harris
22   Posted 08/05/2008 at 10:11:35

So all the transfer rumours start even before the season has ended, yet there are still games at stake for Manchester United, Chelsea, Everton, Aston Villa, Fulham, Birmingham and Reading in the Premiership and Hull, Bristol City, Crystal Palace and Watford in the Championship. The silly summer season will be worse this year as the papers won?t have England in the European Championships to fill up space and gossip.

Whatever our transfer targets if Arsenal can?t keep players because they don?t want to break their current wage structure (ie. Flamini to AC Milan) then what hopes have us, Spurs, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Man City etc got of joining the Premier League elite on a regular basis? It?s all very well to go on about our highest points total but that doesn?t win anything and if the teams at the bottom hadn?t been so abysmal then there wouldn?t have been so many points won by quite a few teams. There will be five teams who finish with less than 40 points with a possible two more teams below that level depending on the results on Sunday.
Jay Harris
23   Posted 08/05/2008 at 03:56:49

If we had £12 million to buy Fernandes last August plus £6 mill for Faddy plus an extra £35 mill from Sky this year that makes £53 mill.
Less £2 mil for Pienaar and say less £2 mil for operating losses and say we put £10 mil towards the "Virtually free" stadiun leaves us with about £40 million.
Unless we see the rabbits going back into the hat, that's the sort of money Moyes SHOULD have at his disposal.
Steve Ashton
24   Posted 08/05/2008 at 12:48:09

Glen - actually we are not in the to 20 richest clubs.

Depends how you do the sums but we are 21 on Forbes and 30 on Delloites (a drop of 10 places in 3 years). West Ham, Man City, Villa are all ahead of us.
Barry Gargh
25   Posted 08/05/2008 at 13:14:13

I know this is probably bollocks but davys new assistant is rumoured to be Sammy Lee!!
Simple Simon
26   Posted 08/05/2008 at 13:56:31

I can tell you all now that Moyes’ number 1 priority is Stuart Downing. And that, my friends, is a fact.
Andy Hudson
27   Posted 08/05/2008 at 14:06:00

Simple Simon, Downing just signed a 5 year deal at Boro a couple of months back. He’s not going anywhere and isn’t of the caliber required. That my friend is a fact.
Jay Harris
28   Posted 08/05/2008 at 14:36:21

Tend to agree with you Andy.
Joaquim has got to be priority before other clubs jump on it.
Dave Whitwell
29   Posted 08/05/2008 at 14:34:16

Jay Harris, the £35m from sky to my knowledge is not a new thing albiet a greater number than we have had previously. So you should take into account the increase not the full amount as surplus, i.e. if we had £20 last year then that would be absorbed into the operating loss and leave us with £15m.

Also we need to consider there have been a number of contract extentions this season which are no doubt higher salary costs and as such will absorb even more of the surplus money.

My guess is that Moyes will probably have around £20 - £25m to spend, but I think it will be a case by case scenario whereby maximums are planed for each target, and if they can get the right players at the right price perhaps some more might be available.
Jimmy Millican
30   Posted 08/05/2008 at 14:52:27

Mark , I aint a bin man but I heard they are on good money !

I am more the new Lineker than a Southall ;)
Ian Tunny
31   Posted 09/05/2008 at 20:01:14

Was just thinking if there could be another Phil Jagyelka about to be demoted that we could pick up on the cheap. Can't see many that would improve the squad let alone the 1st team, Kenny Miller seems too similar to AJ, Forsell too injury prone, Bullard I think only his set pieces are good enough to get him in the 1st team, the one I like who I genuinly think could improve the side getting in a head of AJ is Dave Kitson. I think he?d score more than AJ and contribute more with assists and is quite versitle which Moyes likes. Although being 27 he might be a bit old for Moyes.