Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Canceling Setanta Sports

Just a word of warning boys if you have paid for Sentanta and now want to cancel with the season over you will struggle. They leave you on hold when you ring, cut you off and charge you, then do it all over again, they can leave you on hold for over an hour.

They don't acknowledge e.mails or post. If you have it good luck in cancelling a few of my mates are hundreds out of pocket and still can't cancel.
Chris McMahon, UK     Posted 08/05/2008 at 19:59:14

Comments

Brian Wolf
1   Posted 09/05/2008 at 07:24:40

If you pay by Direct Debit then just cancel the Direct Debit.
Simon Templeman
2   Posted 09/05/2008 at 07:19:50

Chris,
I had similar problems when I wanted to cancel after the first month, due to poor reception/picture quality. I just cancelled the direct debit mandate and Hey Presto! they got in touch with me. Firstly with a snotty letter then when I failed to reply to that they finally called me which allowed me to explain my reasons.
Good Luck!
Scott Jenner
3   Posted 09/05/2008 at 07:42:46

I had the same problem, I cancelled after a trial offer that I had from a paper coupon. I was told the account was cancelled but they charged me again, I then made another call which took another hour and was told again it was cancelled, but again I was charged. I did not create a direct debit they just had my Credit card details which was used to pay the £1 for 3 months offer that I had. I have sent 2 letters requested a refund and still no response. I also get calls late at night and e-mails, which i requested not to get. Satanta is a joke!!!!!!
Chris Fisher
4   Posted 09/05/2008 at 08:40:04

Hahahaha!!! And there was me thinking I was the only one they were mugging off!!!

I phoned and canceled it in January and was told my last payment would be the end of Jan but still got charged for it up to this month!! I kept phoning and being told that I'd be rang back but never was until finally this month, after talking rather strongly to one of their customer service people, I was told that I'd been put through to the wrong department on all the other occasions and that the person who had canceled the contract for me didn't have the authority to do that!

So I asked what they were going to do about it and the cheeky gits offered me Setanta Sports for half price! Like I was going to want to keep it! After threatening them with legal action they agreed to refund me the £40! Bloody awfully run organisation! Prem+ was better, pay for any match you want; no contract, no worries!

Shaun Goater
5   Posted 09/05/2008 at 09:09:05

I was forced to cancel after my dog caught aids.
Patty Beesley
6   Posted 09/05/2008 at 09:15:37

My son didn?t have any trouble cancelling his Santana. In fact they rang him back and offered him another three months at half price which he took
Steve Carson
7   Posted 09/05/2008 at 09:28:41

When I was renting with a mate of mine I used my bank details to get Setanta. When I moved out I rang them to cancel my sub. The girl said I couldn?t as it was a year contract.

The funny part was she told me unofficially the best way to cancel with them is what everyone has told you so far. She told me to goto my bank and cancel the direct debit mandate. Basically she said all they will do is send you 3 letters reminding you of payment and then cut you off. That's all they are allowed to do.
Alan Rodgers
8   Posted 09/05/2008 at 10:55:39

I have had a similar scenario with Sky, and as told so many lies, he staff are obviously under orders to resist cancellations. I just cancelled the DD and all kinds of letters arrived, followed by lots of special deals if I?d go back. Got one month Sky everything: sport, movies, completely free. Also ordered 3 films on Box Ooffice -- never been charged.
John Joe
9   Posted 09/05/2008 at 12:22:01

When I called, they offered me 6 months at £7.50 which saves me paying a reconnection fee and then a couple of quid a month... couldn't fault the service. I think it's a question of timing as they seem to be busy.
Robbie Kirkham
10   Posted 09/05/2008 at 12:32:06

I had trouble with Setanta I was paying 15pound a month instead of 10 only realised when i checked a bank statement bout 2 months ago when i did cancel it I had to give 4 weeks notice they were offering it for a fiver & they’ve rung me twice 2 change me mind shit coverage anyway think we were on it five times i’ll just be going to watch on the foreign channels next year if i can’t go turning Sky off as well am fed up of them going on about big four pricks
Roger Trenwith
11   Posted 09/05/2008 at 12:24:36

It’s high time fans stopped paying extortionate charges to Sky and their ilk for increasingly biased coverage. Watching Arse v Blues the other week, the commentator (Alan Parry I think) told you everything you needed to know about Arse’s season with barely a mention of Everton.
With that in mind, why not download Sopcast or similar and watch for free on the net? The more people do it the better the picture quality & buffering will be, as they work on a p2p basis. For those worried about spyware etc, just run a spyware check before & after the match.
Ultimately if Sky’s obscene profits start declining as a result, the gap between the Sky 4 and the rest will reduce and we might have a more level playing field.
PS - We will beat the Barcodes 2-1. COYB!!!
Steve Flanagan
12   Posted 09/05/2008 at 12:58:48

I agree with Roger. I have Sky but don’t pay for Sky Sports or Setanta Sports.

If it’s on one of them channels then I just pop down the pub to watch it, otherwise, tune in to the free offerings on the internet.

Agreed that the picture quality is not fantastic, but better than forking out £10 a month for Setanta and whatever it is for Sky Sports.
Peter Roberts
13   Posted 09/05/2008 at 13:07:33

Roger Trenwith "Watching Arse v Blues the other week, the commentator (Alan Parry I think) told you everything you needed to know about Arse?s season with barely a mention of Everton"

Hardly surprising given his RS connections. This was a man who claimed he had a bottle of bubbly on ice for, and I quote "when Everton get relegated".

The same could be said of Alan Green.
John Carver
14   Posted 09/05/2008 at 14:40:24

Your mates are "hundreds" out of pocket? How? Its £9.99 a month ! Do you work for a tabloid newspaper specialising in sensationalist stories? I called last week to cancel, like most people the footy is over not much else Id be bothered with (I do the same with sky sports) and I got through after 5 mins, that was at 10am on Tuesday morning, got offered 6 months @ £7.50, result as far as Im concerned. Why send emails or letters when you can speak to someone who can sort it out there and then?
Mark Joseph
15   Posted 09/05/2008 at 17:37:02

Cancelled mine, no probs. I first ’cancelled’ 4 months ago coz the reception was dreadful. Girl on the phone full of apologies, hit me with a booster signal and dropped my payments to a fiver a month until the end of the season.

Phoned again a couple of weeks back and cancelled all together. No hard sell no wait no nowt!

Sky sports to do now.............cya

Steve Jones
16   Posted 09/05/2008 at 17:43:52

Just got offered the same deal £7.50 for 6 months or £5 a week for 3 months, which I have taken to see the pre season friendlies etc and hope to get a cheaper deal after that. This saves the £15 connection fee.Will ring back in July
Seeing as I got it with the 1 pence paper voucher and have only paid £5 a month so far, its cost me £15.03 for 6 months viewing - happy days.

Incidently the number to call is a bugger to find - its 08712 00 33 22 for freeview and digital satelite.