Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

An important summer ahead

First things first: Congratulations, Everton. A great season, one that I must admit I didn't think would be so good at the beginning.

Now the season is over and we have secured our place in Europe, this summer will be one of the most important summers we have had in a long time. It will show what our Board are all about. We need at least £20 million to spend on quality players. Whether we get the players is a different story, but it's important that at least the money is there. Of course it would also be good to have Moyes at the helm as well.

Well done you blues!
Trevor Thompson, Croydon     Posted 11/05/2008 at 16:53:08

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Yes, congratulations indeed. Today was all about securing 5th place and the lads did it in some style, with goals to spare. A far better performance than we've come to expect these past couple of months and a great way to finish the season.
Niall Clinton
1   Posted 11/05/2008 at 17:09:04

In Moyes we trust. Awesome
Sam Cunha
2   Posted 11/05/2008 at 17:33:09

Congratulations! Superb season, UEFA cup qualification, the Yak getting 21 goals, and no less than 3 other players hitting 10 goals each, Cahill, AJ and Lescott. I am sure we haven’t had that in yonks!
Anthony Newell
3   Posted 11/05/2008 at 17:33:03

I don’t think there has been a close season in recent times that hasn’t been an ’important one’ !!! A serious injection of quality and power in midfield required + ditch/demote dross like Neville, Carsley and Hibbert - they’d do a job for one of the promoted sides like Stoke. I wouldn’t be against signing Fernandes for the right money. Another Summer of ’show me the money’ - it looks like Moyes will be asking this question in a few different respects. Onwards and upwards
Michael Kidd
4   Posted 11/05/2008 at 17:42:30

Was following the game on BBC website and when I saw Newcastle got a penalty I had a funny feeling that we would get one too! At last. Well done Blues and here’s to next season.
Anthony Jaras
5   Posted 11/05/2008 at 17:38:23

Yes good season all round really.

I am sure we will have the doubters, the Moyes haters, the ever pessimistic bunch, the never satisfied and the unrealistic groups on here any minute (you know who you are), but with the squad and budget we have had to work with, we have done fantastically well.

Finishing one place outside the ?big four? and running the Shite close for that coveted 4th spot for the best part of the season shows we are making great progress; despite the fact that the rich clubs get richer, we are going the right way about challenging for 4th.

Our squad can only get stronger and with Carsley as the only possible departure from our first eleven, it looks like the future is bright for us.

Once we replace Cars (If he goes, which I hope he does not), signing a right back, a right winger and a striker must remain out priority, and I am sure we will then be able to mount a serious challenge for a Champions League spot.

The biggest signing of all however remains to be David Moyes; once this signing is done and dusted, we can look forward to a busy summer of transfer activity to boost the ranks.

Well done boys, most of us are proud of you!!!!!!

ps: Thanks Yakubu for proving me wrong; I thought you were a joke when you first signed, but you have rammed my words so far down my throat. I can feel them touching cloth, well done Yak!
Anthony Jaras
6   Posted 11/05/2008 at 17:53:53

Anthony Newall - Can I just ask, and I hope you are honest in your answer, who has done more for Everton this season, Carsley or Fernandes????

I am astounded at you comment about Carsley being ’Dross’????
Anthony Newell
7   Posted 11/05/2008 at 17:58:40

Carsley Anthony, but that?s a bit like saying I?ll stick with my knackered old workhorse Ford Fiesta rather than upgrading to a newer model with a few more bells and whistles that can provide you with the quality rather than just getting you from A to B. Carsley, like Bent, Beattie, Davies et all has reached his sell by date. Mr Jaras if we really have desires to break that top four cartel then we have to now replace the players I mentioned - surely you would bot argue with that? Too much dumbing down of expectations on here, let's push on for gods sake!!!
Paul Lynch
8   Posted 11/05/2008 at 18:01:14

Well done Everton ? great result and great performance gave the fans what we deserve. Let's hope Bill Kenwright gives the fans what they deserve and digs deep in his pockets in the transfer window.
Andrew Cunningham
9   Posted 11/05/2008 at 17:47:47

Well Michael You have been a criitic of EFC all season. I know how you feel.
Thank you and Lyndon for all your input
CHEERS ? COME ON SMILE.
Anthony Newell
10   Posted 11/05/2008 at 18:07:57

Ps I hope your assumption about a busy summer of transfer activity is true. With Blue Bill you can never be too sure of what is round the corner!
Anthony Jaras
11   Posted 11/05/2008 at 18:04:59

Yeah, Anthony Newall, but very harsh to call him dross wasn?t it? He has been one of the stars this year so despite his age and whether or not we want to move onward, calling him dross was way unfair and untrue.

I agree about Neville in the middle though, and Hibbert right back, we need a centre mid and a right back asap. I would still like Cars to stay too though, one more season left in him I believe.

I don?t think Beattie or Davies ever had a ?Best Before? date let alone a ?Sell by? date ? they were always poor. Like I said, no dumbing down of expectations here, just not fair to call one of our stars of the season "dross".

Keep everyone I say (apart from the obvious AVD etc) ? just add more quality for next year!!!!!
Dan Parker
12   Posted 11/05/2008 at 18:13:51

I sat opposite a Liverpool fan watching the Chelsea and Man Utd games in the pub (Everton wasn?t on until after). I mentioned we hadn?t had a penalty all season and he said, "You?ll get one today". And we surely did, get in!
Anthony Newell
13   Posted 11/05/2008 at 18:10:52

Not at all ?lad?- have you been on the ale? His abilities have been waning fast since last season and just being a midfield anchor who can tackle doesn?t cut it anymore. We need players who can tackle, look up, then pass to another player rather than just punt it, gifting possession back thus putting us under pressure.
Connor Rohrer
14   Posted 11/05/2008 at 18:13:04

Excellent perfromance from the boys today. Some excellent football and the midfield ran the game for once. Osman, Fernandes, Pienaar and Carsley where all excellent. Some lovely touches from every one and nice build up play.

For the first time this season we saw the real Manuel Fernandes. He was excellent today, got two assists and his general play was very good. I?ve said it once and I?ll say it again sign him up!!!

I?m not Carsley?s biggest fan but if he is to leave I wish him all the luck in the world. An excellent servant for this club and he played very well today. Showing for his defenders and winning crucial tackles. Good luck Cars.

Yakubu was also excellent. He?s a better player than people give him credit for. He can drop deep and link up, he can play off the last man and obviously the goals are there for everyone to see. 21 goals in 36 games is an excellent record from in my opinion a future legend.

All in all its been an excellent season and one we should be looking to build on. For the first time in Moyes?s reign we?ve started playing football albeit in patches. Next season we?ve should try to be more consistent in our play.

There was definatly negatives today. Victor Anichebe was one but I don?t want to get on his back as I think he?s still needs time to learn his trade. A loan move would be excellent for him next season. The switching off for their goal was also a negative but the back four been solid all season.

Well done boys!!!!!!!
Keith Glazzard
15   Posted 11/05/2008 at 18:02:41

Finished 5th - better to come. Uefa Cupguaranteed with a higher seed than last year. Yak 21, Lescott 10. Best ever PL total. Beat NUFCK.

A good day. Good season. Personally, since we?ve been up near the top for a good while now, I am a bit pissed off that we start off next time with no points. But now I know we?ll be up there again.

Thank you Davey and the lads.
Stefan Tosev
16   Posted 11/05/2008 at 18:40:17

Dan,

The cynic in me says Yes after we were out of the race for 4-th, leading 2-1 uninterested Newcastle side on the last day and Villa drawing 2-2...
Keith Glazzard
17   Posted 11/05/2008 at 18:47:13

For me, I think the record of no penalties a season (has anyone done it?) would have been worth having.

Hate refs? Hard evidence.
Andy Ellams
18   Posted 11/05/2008 at 19:04:34

A bit controversial maybe, but how about selling Arteta, getting £20-25 million from the board and then investing it in Fernandes, Huddlestone, Joaquin and maybe Valencia from Wigan? Add their pace to the class and strength behind Cahill and the Yak and we will be flying. Might even have some cash left over for a decent right back.
Michael Kenrick
19   Posted 11/05/2008 at 19:08:21

Andrew, of course I was smiling. That was a far far better Everton perfomance than I have seen in MONTHS. That is what I?ve been asking for, but everyone told me I was being unrealistic. As ever, though, the proof is on the field, where it always is ? and not in the endless bleating of excuses from the apologists that we?ve had to suffer since Fiorentina.

Everton can play well under Moyes, injuries or no injuries, tiredness or no tiredness. I dunno what the difference was today but it seems we as a team need two months minimum to get over major disappointment. I?m convinced it?s a psychological failing more than anything ? something we MUST do something about if we are to really kick on.

ps: Keith Everton have had three or four penalty-free season (according to the Official Everton website), so no record to be had there.
Dan Parker
20   Posted 11/05/2008 at 19:15:13

I thought Manny was immense today, made all the difference. Victor had a good game too, just needs to work on his finishing.

Hope cars stays, got another season in him easily.
Connor Rohrer
21   Posted 11/05/2008 at 19:27:35

Andy Ellams, no chance. Arteta is a key player for us and the type of player we need if we want to play better football. He?s been injured all season and playing with an injury yet has played through the pain. Quality professional and that shows how much he wants to play for this club.

I?m all for signing the likes of Fernandes but not at the cost of Arteta. We should be adding players like to Fernandes and other quality players to the likes of Arteta, Lescott, Cahill etc.
Max Power
22   Posted 11/05/2008 at 19:22:39

Is it just me or is Victor awful? Him and that lad the Geordies had up front today would struggle to strike fear into the hearts of Sunday league defences.

Anyways, good win, fun season, let’s go again.
Michael Kenrick
23   Posted 11/05/2008 at 19:34:08

I quite liked a few things Big Vic did today. He actually won a number of hoofballs, and we haven’t seen too much of that this season (I mean someone actually winning them!). Plus he can actually play the ball a little bit once he gets it at his feet.

And if Ronaldo had done that absolutely fantastic backheel direct to Fernandes, it would permanent slo-mo replay. With a little more luck, a lot more match practice, and perhaps a little more belief from his manager, he might surprise us all...
Adam Wightman
24   Posted 11/05/2008 at 19:35:21

Well done blue boys. Great season. Does anyone know how much/if any money we get off Man Utd with them winning the league and maybe teh Champions League due to the Rooney deal?
Anthony Newell
25   Posted 11/05/2008 at 19:44:18

Not a lot - probably enough to buy Fernandes’ big toe, providing the crumbs haven’t already disappeared in the purchases of Howard and Neville
Michael Hunt
26   Posted 11/05/2008 at 19:51:00

Could really kick on this summer: We’ll get over 50 million pounds this year from share of UK and Global Media/TV revenue and Premier League Merit payments (not to mention increased gate revenue from the plethora of games).
With outgoing players reducing the wage bill (hopefully we can offload AvdM as well!) I think we’ll add around 4 real quality additions to the team/squad. I hate all the speculation though so hopefully Moyes can get the new signings sorted ASAP to get them bedded in through pre-season as well.
Massive well done for this season, and look forward to further progresssion up the curve next season....I can smell a trophy around the corner, so bring it on! COYB!
Anthony Newell
27   Posted 11/05/2008 at 20:07:34

Michael, I could smell a trophy THIS bloody season!!! - your namesake wouldn’t be a bad first buy from Reading. Ant J, yes, sorry it’s patently me who’s been on the ale with some relief about not blowing 5th place. I still stand what I say about Carsley though. ps it’s Newell with an E lad. Chin Chin
Andrew Steen
28   Posted 11/05/2008 at 20:09:20

And to top it all off Jagielka has been called into the England squad!!!!
Iain McWilliam
29   Posted 11/05/2008 at 20:07:39

Just thought I?d add my congrats as well. I've been critical of the team's style of play this season but they played well today and if Moyes can add a couple of quality midfielders and get them playing to the same positive pattern then I?ll be happy to stop moaning.

Have a good summer y?all!
Anthony Jaras
30   Posted 11/05/2008 at 20:13:16

Come on Anthony NewEll... Stephen C.... I mean Hunt??? He is just Davies with a left foot. I got slated yesterday for posting saying we should sign Tom Huddlestone so this must be equally bad.

Surely we should be looking at higher quality players than this??That?s if we get the funds.

Anthony Newell
31   Posted 11/05/2008 at 20:43:15

So because you got slated yesterday (and rightly so - most Spurs fans think he?s a right pondering lummox of a player) your having a go at me - very mature mate or should that be lad?! I?d love to aim higher than Stephen Hunt (although I think he?s a good winger and within our wage/transfer model) in the form of Barry or Bentley but without a change of ownership it just ain?t gonna happen so not worth mentioning them is it? - who were you thinkiing of?

Glad you?ve taken a more pragmatic view on transfer funding in the close season - expect the following lines in the not too distant future: ?were happy with the size of our squad? and ?not expecting any signings? whether they be truthful or not...

Anthony Jaras
32   Posted 11/05/2008 at 21:14:27

Calm down Newell, bloody hell.

Ain?t having a go at anyone, I am just thinking that the headless chicken that is Stephen Hunt is just as bad a call (in some people's eyes?) as Tom Huddlestone.

It ain?t about maturity, it?s about wanting quality, and Stephen Hunt is a good signing for the likes of Sunderland or Boro and other teams in the lower reaches of the league and not a team that you continually state should be moving onwards and upwards.

How un-signable is a player like Bentley really? Do any of the ?Big 4? want him? If not then we could be in pole position for most players from teams lower than us in the league providing the Shite, Mancs, Arse and Chelski don?t want them. (Based on footballing choice and not salary hunters).

Sidwell would be a great signing. As for left wingers, I feel our money would be best spent abroad so hopefully our scouting team have been working hard finding some quality candidates to bid for.

Stevn Hunt would not be a good squad addition in my eyes for a team with aspirations for Champions Legue qualification, let alone a first pick winger.
Anthony Jaras
33   Posted 11/05/2008 at 21:43:00

I am gonna go on Champ Manager now and see who I can sign, you got me in the mood to play Moyesy!!!!
Jason Broome
34   Posted 11/05/2008 at 21:24:51

I am proud that we did our talking on the pitch and I am proud that we went about our tasks with hunger, humility and desire.

However I was a got a bit concerned when Gavin Peacock suggested (with a glowing full throated recommendation) for Moyes to be the next Chelsea manager - Bastard!

Could you imagine David with £100 Million to take on the world. Champions League football every year. Manchester United v. Chelsea, Old lion v. Young Lion, Scot v. Scot. I most certainly can!

This is why my Champagne?s on ice. You see regardless of who arrives this summer, for me David is the most important signing.

Commiserations to McFadden... One moment your scoring a key goal in the Uefa Cup, the next your a nice guy in the wrong league. Maybe now he can work on the basics and become the all rounded player he should be. Goodluck!
Nick Heady
35   Posted 11/05/2008 at 22:23:26

I'm very very happy, very happy and proud. Ok we didn't win the league, we didnt even finnish fourth, but we DID win a big game when it mattered. I'm not someone who sings Moyes praises but we need to sign the man up now, because pound for pound we are the best team in the EPL, and it's down to him! (Ok I do sing his praises).
Duncan McKenzie
36   Posted 12/05/2008 at 01:44:37

Mr Newell
I take it from the time of your posts that you did not attend Goodison today and I am of the opinion that you have not attended a game all season home or away. What absolute rot you spout to suggest that we dispense with Carsley?s services. Man of the match for me today as he has been for the majority of games this season (only beaten by Lescott who has the abillity to find the net from a defensive position).
Mike Coates
37   Posted 12/05/2008 at 02:41:34

Must buy Manny.. Or loan him with a lower figure clause to buy him once certain time expired or however they work it. I supported the guy since he played last season, through the Portugal under 21s, even when he (or his damn agent) turned their back on us.. I still had faith he’d return and he did :) Now coax the other club to discount you so you are ours! :) COYB!
Jimmy Changa
38   Posted 12/05/2008 at 04:49:57

Valencia are in financial trouble aren’t they? I would take Fernandes on loan for another season or for 7m thereabouts. Not been anywhere near consistent enough this season and hopefully won’t be the next Gravesen (crap for ages then good when he wanted a move/contract)

Speaking of Spain - Thuram is out of contract and would be a good 1-season stop-gap? Wages would be a sticking point though I suppose.
Peter Bourke
39   Posted 12/05/2008 at 10:32:20

Mr Kenrick,
Firstly I must say I appreciate the efforts you and your colleagues put in to make this forum the success it is and how it gives everyone a chance to express their opinions no matter what they are. The only point I would like to make is that in almost every comment you make you point the finger unfairly I believe at DM. Your statement above about Vic is typical. "With a little more belief from his manager"??

I think DM has a lot of faith in Vic. He used him to perfection in our european campaign and the fact he is either in the starting 11 or on the bench means DM has belief in the lad.

Your bias against DM is embarrasing and extreme. And whoever the Apologists are can breath a sigh of relief because I don?t think they have anything to be apologetic about.
I know you have high expectations for EFC as we all do and you are a true Evertonian but whatever DM has done to upset you, take a breat and look at our situation in a realistic fashion and rejoice in the fact we support the greatest Team and Club on earth.

Gary Creaney
40   Posted 12/05/2008 at 11:38:59

Something we need to be very careful of is the Spurs effect. They finished 5th two seasons in a row (similar of our 6th / 5th finishes) then decided they needed to spend a fortune to break into the top four. The result: they got worse. The reason being that they spent a fortune on the wrong players, Darren Bent being a prime example.

We need players in the mould of Arshavin, Lucho Gonzalez, Aidan McGeady, Cosmin Contra (getafe right back) if we are to chalk up more than 65 premier league points.

I think improving our points tally is our only realistic aim for next season’s league. It may or may not move us into the CL but it will show further improvement.
Dominic Fitzpatrick
41   Posted 12/05/2008 at 12:18:28

It really does say a lot about the work Moyes is doing at the club when we go into almost every summer uttering the words ’this summer is going to be an important one.’

Surely a sign that continued progression is being implemented at the club.