Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Moyes the Evertonian (and more)

Anyone who doubts Davis Moyes's love (yes love) of this club of ours should read the interview in the Independent which is a link from the story on the site concerning Moyes's refusal to accept the "top four lockout". I accept that he's not without his faults, but I just dont get the "Moyes out" brigade... and if it's the standard and style of play that people harp on about then I have to mention yesterdays performance.

In a game of real nerves and a fear of failure we actually played some VERY NICE football. There were large parts of the game where we built up the play while being in complete control and with the ball almost exclusively ON THE DECK.

I accept that that hasn't happened all season but lately I've been watching other teams around us (and above us) and there are times when MOST of them revert to "hoofball", believe me it's true. If David Moyes isn't tied into a further long term contract with the funds made available to buy the minimum four (IMHO) players required to give us a crack at the four teams above us then I feel this will be the biggest tragedy to become our club in a long long time.

The season's over and we've won what some people are refferring to as the "real" league. I work offshore (on the rigs if you like) and I cross swords with supporters from almost EVERY other club in England and Scotland, and not ONE of them has a bad word to say about David Moyes and what he's done for Everton. I have the benefit of hearing day to day what "outsiders" think of our club... and believe me when I say that the vast majority of them look on with envy, and that's in no small part due to what David Moyes has done for us.

There's even several "reasonable" RS supporters who have nothing but praise for Moyes (admitted in private I might add)... Rant over...here's looking forward to next season with our new look midfield (we hope)...... and a Champions league spot !
Brian  Williams, Wirral     Posted 12/05/2008 at 08:26:22

Comments

Jonathan Tasker
1   Posted 12/05/2008 at 08:33:23

Taking out the matches against the big 4 , Everton won 19, drew 7 and lost just 4 against the other 15 teams; that's 64 points from 30 games.Talk about getting it right when it matters or winning the games that you can win.

I would like to congratulate David Moyes for a superb season. We will do well to hold on to Lescott, what a player. Centre back, left back, left winger, centre forward. And well done to Jagielka for getting into the England squad.

Dave Jeanrenaud
2   Posted 12/05/2008 at 14:59:30

Spot on Brian,

David Moyes is an incredible manager and we are so lucky to have him. The reception he received from the Evertonians during the lap of honour following yesterday?s game showed exactly how appreciated he is by the knowledgable Everton crowd.

There are of course some fans who are so out of touch with reality that they actually seek to slag him off for the job he has been doing. As Moyes himself says such fans need educating.

The best news of this summer will be when David Moyes puts pen to paper on a new five year deal. It cannot happen soon enough.
Matt geraghty
3   Posted 12/05/2008 at 18:38:05

Good article Brain. I agree 100%.
At the start of the season, taking our european campain into consideration, I would have settled for a top 8 position. So for me, he has over-achieved.
Moyes is a top manager, and to underline that Ferguson and Wenger have gone on record saying that he/us are the most likley to break into the top 4 - personally I don’t think you could get a better endorsment of his managerial credentials.
paul mousley
4   Posted 12/05/2008 at 19:24:09

He’s gone guys. Welcome Alydice. The spat between him and Bk (never happend before) speakes volumes....Its the beginning of the end....I hope not but i’ve been thinking about it all day and to say what he said before yesterday’s game when him and kenwright have been so close is a change... I think he would be mad to leave he has not won anything yet and lets face it Mourinio did it with porto (no money) but there relationship is forever changed ....kenwright fuming!! we shall see.Paul
eddie o neill
5   Posted 12/05/2008 at 19:20:54

When rooney was leaving my mate and I were devastated......however I remember saying back then that as bad as it was to lose rooney I would rather see him go than moyes.....and I still feel the same way.

We cannot lose this man!!!!!

Well done boys, great game on Sunday.
John Barry
6   Posted 12/05/2008 at 19:26:48

Got to agree with the above posts.

Sometimes it’s too easy to just look at the top four with envy and remember how we were once one of the Big Five.

Times have changed and the game is primarily about wealth. For every Everton there’s an Aston Villa, Newcastle, Tottenham, West Ham, Man City to name but five who all share our ambition yet it’s us who are sitting at the top of the best of the rest league table, and yet have spent considerably less than most of the above.

That’s down to excellent management by David Moyes. The reason our form has slumped at the back end of the season was not that we’d ’overachieved’ as most lazy pundits liked to call it, but is in fact due to the long season taking its toll on the squad who were performing at near maximum capacity all season.

Which other manager an get as much from his players as David Moyes has? Other teams underachieve but in Moyes we play to our full potential. That’s why, along with his excellent transfer record, we have the best manager for any club outside the top four.

In Moyes we trust.
Peter Pridgeon
7   Posted 12/05/2008 at 20:23:58

I hope I am wrong but Moyes in the past would never say anything that could be detrimental to his relationship with BK.
Now here he is talking to the media about the lack of communication over his contract and funds available for players.
Moyes is either trying to stir BK into action or more than likely flagging to the top clubs that he would be available for the right position, after all at 45 he would want his next move to be his big one.
I hope this is just nonsense but its so out of character for Moyes.