Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Stop it... both of you!

My joy at Everton securing that coveted fifth spot has been soured somewhat by the untypical - and unnecessary - public spat between David Moyes and Chairman Bill Kenwright. For two people reputedly joined at the hip it was as surprising as it was untimely. It`s as though Davey has suddenly become jealous of all the `political` headlines generated by his unsavory counterpart `across the park` whilst Blue Bill has descended to `Hicksville`.

What has set Moyes apart from the rest of his profession during his tenure at Goodison is, to my mind, his quiet dignity and whilst I have my own views on the integrity of Mr Kenwright, his stand-out achievement has been his selection of, and support for, his manager. No doubt we shall hear over the next few days that both parties have been mis-quoted. Don`t believe it. Given the nature of the quotes attributed to Moyes, I have no doubt that they are accurate and exist on the original journalist`s tape machine. As for the response from `sources close to Kenwright`, you don`t need to be too imaginative to know who those might be!

Now I can understand that Davey is anxious to settle his future and that it would be mildly helpful to know what budget he has for next season, but putting public pressure on his boss a few days before a vital game is not the cleverest move he`s ever made whilst surely Bill could have expressed his displeasure privately in one of the `hundreds of telephone conversations we have each week`.

So I close with a plea to both parties. We`ve had a good season and one of which you can be proud. So don`t wreck it all by trying to out-do the other lot` with cheap-scate headlines; settle your differences in private and just get on with the job in hand-Making Everton great again! As I said to my kids this morning,`Stop it... both of you!`
Jeff Copeland, London Colney     Posted 12/05/2008 at 08:25:53

Comments

Barry Scott
1   Posted 12/05/2008 at 14:10:29

I think that Moyes has every right to vent his frustration in public. If that’s what it takes to get Kenwright to find extra transfer funds so be it.

There are already rumours that he rejected a takeover bid recently from a Slavic businessmen and if true it won’t have done Bill Kenwright any favours.

Dan Johnson
2   Posted 12/05/2008 at 10:54:00

So what happens next?

Does Moyes meet Blue Bill and put pen to paper or is there going to be a stand off between them when Moyes voices his displeasure about his meagre £5 voucher to spend at Harrods?

One things for certain Moyes is NOT a happy chappy at the moment. His interviews are rather pointed and at times a little strained with little digs at Kenwright about money and competing in the top 4. I think the frustrations of managing Everton and trying to take them to the next level without funding is starting to take its toll on Moyes.

Moyes knows he?s done well and his job is safe but he obviously thinking about the next 4 years and what he wants to do. But can Blue Bill and Wyness deliver what he wants? Finch Farm was built brick by brick to Moyes's specification and by all means it?s a state-of-the-art training facility which all the players admire. Our new stadium the Goodison Retail Park is on the horizon and the team is most definitely on the up. So at the moment it feels bloody good to be an Evertonian.

But with limited funds again available to Moyes is he gonna walk? Half of me thinks he?s not going to walk out after his most accomplished season yet as an Everton manager, but the other half of me thinks oh god what if he does walk in the summer. Especially with the ginger nutter Strachan wanting another bloody long term holiday at Celtic.

Worst case scenario if he does walk, then will our best players follow him out the door? Will the Yak, Lescott, Arteta and Cahill want to hang around. Will all the good work just unravel?

Plus who will we replace him with? What manager would possible share Moyes vision and drive for the club? I cant think of a single decent manager on the same level as Moyes who would be willing to come here. Okay this may be all utter bollocks and I?m worrying about nothing but until Moyes signs on that dotted line I?m gonna be worrying may arse off for the future of my beloved club this summer.

Nick Entwistle
3   Posted 12/05/2008 at 14:17:57

Coverted 5th spot?
Jay Harris
4   Posted 12/05/2008 at 14:36:13

Jeff
great post with the right sentiment but I have always felt that Moyes is very dignified and likes to do his budiness in private so it is very concerning that he should make such damning statements in public.

I heard from an Aunties Uncles Niece that DM presented Bill with an A list at 40 Million and a B list at 20 million and Bill nearly fell out of his chair.

The A list was apparently to start challenging the top 4 over the next few years and the B list was to compete for a top 6 place.

It seems to be DM has finally fallen out with "The Illusionist" who used to speak to Walter every day but apparently has not dealt with any of Davey?s issues for the past couple of months.

It is no secret on here about how little I think about "Black Bill" who I see as an opportunist dreamer but if we lose Moyes and the momentum the team has built up over this I personally will never forgive him.
Jay Harris
5   Posted 12/05/2008 at 14:49:12

Barry
Can you tell us a bit more about this Slavic approach?
John Hall
6   Posted 12/05/2008 at 15:11:24

"Take it or leave it, Bill" seems to be the context of the remarks made by DM.
Lose DM at your peril, BK...
Matty Dawkins
7   Posted 12/05/2008 at 15:29:00

None of us know what was said and by whom... The media are fucking tyrants and most of the time they are way off the mark!

I want Moyes to stay and have a massive transfer kitty as much as anyone but rumour mongering is not going to do any good, is it?

Why not just let nature take its course.
Tom Green
8   Posted 12/05/2008 at 15:43:46

Who said they have fell out? The fucking papers! ? What would they know? Don?t believe everything you read.
guy hastings
9   Posted 12/05/2008 at 15:58:22

What concerns me is that Mr Showbusiness is invariably all over the papers and TV like a ten bob suit when we’re doing well. Come this season’s end, however, he’s positively subterranean. Not like BK at all. This is my nightmare scenario. BK and DM have a falling out over moolah (spending funds not DM’s salary; Strachan goes; DM offered Celtic job; BK comes out with ’dream move for DM, can’t stop a man fulfilling a lifetime’s dream etc etc’; Moyes leaves with Gary Speed-style gagging clause in departure agreement; Allardyce comes in, Lescott/Arteta/Yak/ Joey think ’fuck that for a game of soldiers we’re off and we’re back to where we were six seasons ago within three months. Of course, this won’t happen, will it, Bill.
patty beesley
10   Posted 12/05/2008 at 16:17:21

I thought Billl looked happy yesterday and he was even caught on camera singing his heart out at the end of the game - "If you kinow your history".

Wel I think its just the media trying to stir things up again - I don’t think Davey is going anywhere. He might love Celtic but he also loves the Peoples’ Club and his plans for EFC aren’t finished yet.

Would just like to say that the boys and Davey have given me some special moments this season for which I thank them. Proud to be a blue whether we win or lose.
Alan Codd
11   Posted 12/05/2008 at 20:11:15

Moyes is quite rightly backing Kenwright into a corner.
Moyes reputation is solid and he must be getting pissed off at kenwright not having the same ambition,
At least we will know that if moyes goes or we end up with bargain basement signings then it is down to the clown kenwright and wyness and no matter what, they cant spin this one to make themselves look good
Mike Dayton
12   Posted 12/05/2008 at 20:22:51

Agreed Alan. Moyes needs to act quicker especially on the bosmans. We need more bodies in for cover for resonable wages.

Kenwright needs to get cracking this summer and get on the same page as Moyes. The time is now for just a couple of shrewd purchases to catapult us into the top four. If we wait Villa,Spurs and Pompey will be more than able to take up the slack.

Come on Kenwright get it all sorted.
Mike Dayton
13   Posted 12/05/2008 at 20:22:51

Come on Kenwright get it all sorted.
Barry Scott
14   Posted 12/05/2008 at 20:37:49

Jay Harris, I can’t as I don’t know much about it. According to reports in the Echo, a russian was interested in the club and Kenwright told him the club was not available.

Greg O’Keefe mentioned it on his Gwlad Tidings blog.
Callum Norton
15   Posted 12/05/2008 at 16:21:05

The recent public slanging match between Moyes and Kenwright has all the makings of another LFC situation. This morning there seemed to be signs of a cooling off period but I wonder how private the outcome of the pair`s meeting on` Thursday/Friday or some other time` will remain?

Leaving Everton aside, one of the most unedifying spectacles I have seen on TV was the sight of the Birmingham City Chairman shedding tears over the bile he had been subjected to by his own s club`s supporters last evening. It kind of took me back to the treatment the Glasers got at Old Trafford and our own hounding of Chairman Johnson. The vitriol presently being thrown at Shinawatera and the venom of our neighbouring fans got me into wondering who the hell would want to be chairman/owner of a Premier club anyway?

For certain, it`s not a guaranteed route to riches as for every Martin Edwards there are a hundred Peter Risdales. Even our once revered Sir John Moores was being urged `to do one` as soon as the Catterick/Kendall magic had worn off. So is there such an animal as a good chairman and how can we ever be sure of getting one?

Jimmy Mac
16   Posted 12/05/2008 at 23:32:14

He " IS "going to Celtic if the money for players is not put up. Defo ..been on the cards for a month or more...........