Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Fenandes

I would like to comment on how well Manny played yesterday. His set pieces and corners were mainly excellent and his passing at times sublime. He controlled the game. I think we should sign him, Valencia have their own issues and if we can get him in the £8-10 miliion bracket, he would be a terrific addition to the squad. A fully fit Manny with a run of games, I feel will be one of the best midfielders in the Prem!!!!
Gary  Tudor, Shrewsbury     Posted 12/05/2008 at 13:21:24

Comments

Roy Coyne
1   Posted 12/05/2008 at 15:49:05

I agree and I?m at a loss to why so many of our fans are not keen on him. Maybe it's last year's fiasco as to me he is exactly the quality that we need to progress.
Keith Glazzard
2   Posted 12/05/2008 at 15:46:55

A big important day, and the team produced the goods in style. And that very much included Fernandes. While one swallow doesn?t make a summer - and OK, it was only Newcastle, the case for signing him must have been strengthened. What we don?t know is what the money situation really is and, perhaps more importantly, if a decision has already been made. But his performance wasn?t that of a player who couldn?t care less ? quite the opposite.
Connor Rohrer
3   Posted 12/05/2008 at 15:45:46

I don?t think he controlled the game. For periods when he came inside from the right yes but he wasn?t really in the position to. There are few players who are able to dictate a game from the wing. Zidane was one of the few.

All in all he was excellent though. His passing, set pieces and quality on the ball was there for everyone to see. He was our main creative force in the game. He also worked hard and tracked the lively N?zogbia well.

Manny is potentially a class player and even at his current level at full fitness is a lot better than we?ve got centrally. We won?t attract any better in my opinion.
Nick Entwistle
4   Posted 12/05/2008 at 15:59:27

Sign the man! If he wants to be here that is...
Arteta, Pienaar, Osman, Cahill, Fernandes. Beautiful.
Mark Griffiths
5   Posted 12/05/2008 at 15:59:49

I hope we do sign him, as many have said and I agree, he is getting better and better with games and beginning to gel, but I would not pay more than £10M for him, hopefully around £8M.

I guess he must have left the club now now and is on his way back to Valencia, well after his hols of ccourse!
John Lloyd
6   Posted 12/05/2008 at 16:07:50

Most fans I speak to all know that the lad is a top player, he came into a side when he was unfit, out of confidence and not sharp enough for the quickness of the prem compared to la liga.

Imagine him with a moyes pre-season behind him & a few tune up friendlies. I stand by what i said when came 1st time around. SIGN HIM

He genuinly could be the one of the top midfielder’s we are all after, and the one to take the deep lying midfield role. I hope he’s still here next season
jayharris
7   Posted 12/05/2008 at 16:00:13

Connor
I agree although it was difficult for him being switched from mid out to the wings where he is less effective and yet he still produced a MOM performance for me.
His touch on the ball especially free kicks and shots were overall a class above what we’ve had before.

I think he’s a "must sign" player preferrably with the funds that were "earmarked" for him last August leaving next seasons kitty bolstered by the 6 million from Faddy and the Sky bonus money intact.

More on that later I’m sure.
Alan Rodgers
8   Posted 12/05/2008 at 16:27:58

At last - someone who can deliver a decent free-kick. How hard can it be ? On that showing sign Fernandes but we also need a physical presence in midfield - please let it not be the Dunny monster !
Jimmy Millican
9   Posted 12/05/2008 at 16:28:08

I think Moyes has been swayed into trying to sign him as he has been quoted today as saying that there are one or two ideas he is looking at in regards to Fernandez.

I think he is looking to get him on loan for another 6 months and sign him next January.

I was one of those that thought he has lost it but the last two games , he has shown that class again.
Will Leaf
10   Posted 12/05/2008 at 16:22:50

I think Fernandes’ signing is quite critical. As long as he wants to play for us, and as mentioned, nothing above the 8-10 mill range.

If we should sign him, I hope Arteta does not take it too hard when the decision comes down who takes the free kicks. We were a legitimate threat for every dead ball situation yesterday.
Richard Murray
11   Posted 12/05/2008 at 16:34:09

I don’t know why, maybe it was something in Moyes’ comments about him last week, but I think we might get him on loan for another season.

This would be ideal. He definitely has potential, but through a further loan deal we would be lessening the risk, in case he doesn’t develop how we envision, and freeing up funds for other additions this summer.

It sounds quite unlikely. I just have a feeling.
jayharris
12   Posted 12/05/2008 at 16:39:04

Richard
the only thing having him on loan for another 6 to 12 months will do is alert other teams to his ability.

If we were on the brink of signing him last August("Fernandes will be signing in the morning" -BK) and we have had the chance to look at him again since he has been fit (not before)and in training.
So if we dont know he’s good enough by now we never will.
Gareth Jackson
13   Posted 12/05/2008 at 17:16:47

I believe we saw the best of Manny yesterday because he played in the middle instead of the flanks. He was looking for the ball and his distribution and set pieces were excellent.

I feel if we don?t sign him or somebody of a equal standard then we will be taking a step-backwards.

We must get the cashbook out this year because as we ?ve just seen Villa were hot on our tails and they will improve thier squad this summer.
Declan McCarthy
14   Posted 12/05/2008 at 17:34:30

I have been critical of him this season, I thought at times he was lazy and couldn’t care less, I am happy to say sorry Manuel!!!, I think the problem has been mental as well as injuries and also being played out of position, I thought yesterday he was brilliant, I have always loved his passing and his vision, even if he costs £12 million I still belive it’s good business, for the first time I actually believed he wanted to be a blue, this guy could become a legend here, he has everything I can think off to become a great player and as he said himself "I believe Everton is the best team for me" probably his first words when he came back on loan, lets sign the kid!!! Jesus even my good lady loves him, no, she hasn’t told me why, must be the dreadlocks, I’m an old grey badger myself. Anyone like to organise a whip around? Thanks to everyone on the site this season, especially Michael and Lyndon, really enjoyed all our discussions here even those I stronly disagreed with, enjoy your hols!!! and thank God for europe next season, I’m really happy today, love being a Blue, I shed some tears of joy yesterday and I really hope we sign Manuel Fernandes!!! Thanks everybody, sorry for the long post.
jayharris
15   Posted 12/05/2008 at 18:22:50

Good post Declan

And can I echo your sentiments.

Great site Michael,Lyndon and all the lads(and Girls) in fact the best Blues site on the web by miles.
Thanks to you all and to all the Blue posters who make it so great even though we may disagree with a few.
Its all about opinions.
Matthew Lovekin
16   Posted 12/05/2008 at 18:24:22

I’ve said it ever since I’ve seen him play, Fernandes is QUALITY. If we have any desire to make it into the top 4, then Fernandes MUST be signed this summer. After a run of being fit, it’s obvious that Manny could fit into a top 4 side, that is the type of player we need to sign now, players that either are or (cheaper option) are going to be world class in a year or two.

Fernandes is also the missing link that makes us play the ball on the ground. He picks it up off the defence, he looks for the quality and decisive through ball to the forwards, he’s an expert dead-ball player and he adds a bit of height to the midfield. All this, and he has been played out of position on the wing, play him in the middle and he will get even better.

Next years team:

Howard
Neville Yobo Lescott Baines
Arteta Osman Fernandes Cahill Pienaar
Yakubu
Mike Dayton
17   Posted 12/05/2008 at 20:10:07

Funny how we all think. But yes yesterday he was the guy that pulled all the strings. Shooting the ball the set pieces were marvellous and he always had the precise passing. What I was impressed yesterday was how he feels so much more comfortable in the middle. This is our guy the only reason I expect Moyes would like to keep him on loan is to go after a huge top prospect maybe the spanard winger. Trying to work the money situation cleverly. I don’t see that much talent surpassing Manny for his age. 10 million will be a bargain in a year or two time look at Yak this year. Remember the moaning and groaning on that purchase. Can’t wait till next season already.
Steve Mink
18   Posted 12/05/2008 at 20:19:13

Yes, if he is no more than £8m and he gets played in the middle then sign him up I say.
Richard Murray
19   Posted 12/05/2008 at 20:44:26

Jay, we would just need to write a ’first option’ clause into his contract (like we did with Pienaar and Arteta, I think).

It was Moyes saying that he had a ’few ideas’ regarding Fernandes. This suggests to me something less conventional than a straight forward transfer.

I guess we’ll soon find out.
Ian MacHenry
20   Posted 12/05/2008 at 20:52:44

I’d like to see the lad signed. Given a proper pre season and putting 2 years of uncertainty behind him, I think we’ll unearth another top top player.

I would love to see him play in Osman’s preferred position just of the front 1 or 2, IMO that’s were he does his best work in final 3rd great vision, can thread a defence splitting pass and he’s not afraid to shoot. I think with that dominant Centre Mid that posses strength & presence we crave, we ’d have a fantastic looking midfield that would kick us on to that next level.... That’s nothing against Osman by the way, he had a very good game yesterday and has had a good season overall and would still play apart in the squad, I just believe we need better than him if were to progress week in week out.
Edward Patrick
21   Posted 12/05/2008 at 21:24:24

No room in your team for Jag then Matthew?
Dave Ellis
22   Posted 12/05/2008 at 21:47:34

Just wondered if anyone knew. What is the situation with Manny now? From what i could gather last year, he has two "owners": Valencia and some other corporate body. I think Valencia paid about £10 million for him and they may let him go for say 7 or 8 million. But what about the other 50%?
Peter Fearon
23   Posted 12/05/2008 at 21:53:27

I have been critical of Fernandes’ comitment this season but he really impressed me on Sunday. If he would put that much into his game every week we would have a world class player on out hands.
Cathal Bryan
24   Posted 12/05/2008 at 22:32:55

I think Moyes will get him on loan; Sunday proved how good he is. He will coast about £8 million ? worth every penny.
Tim Churchill
25   Posted 12/05/2008 at 22:50:28

MF is pretty poor at tracking back and putting pressure on the opposition when we don’t have the ball, but if there is one thing Moyes can instill in player it is that quality - so I think (as he has everything else going for him) we should sign him up asap. Up to 12m depending on the market - i mean what else is available for that sort of price - ?
Jay Harris
26   Posted 12/05/2008 at 23:26:20

Richard
I think he has in mind say £6 million down and the rest over so many games but as its EFC we never know.
Dave Ellis as far as I?m aware Valencia bought the other 50% out at the time and therefore own him 100%.
I believe it cost them about 18 million euros so I guess we might get him for 10 million pounds.
I couldn't see them taking much less although as I said some may be on the never never.
IMO he?s worth whatever we need to pay.
Keith Glazzard
27   Posted 12/05/2008 at 23:45:45

Well then, it seems that the decision hasn’t already been made. DM is weighing up the options and Manuel Fernandes still can become an Everton player. If I had a few million to spare, I’d chip in a quid or two myself.

Make a good start in Europe and its going to be a long hard season again - we hope. A fully fit and committed Fernando will be a big asset. And I suspect this is how DM’s mind is working now.
Ciaran Duff
28   Posted 13/05/2008 at 00:29:50

We all have a big wish list of players that we’d like to see added during the summer. Assuming that we have a limited transfer budget, then for me, the minimum would be to sign Manny and a younger, faster version of Carsley who can both break up play and play the ball. I’d still hold on to Carsley and most of the existing squad apart from the obvious ones who are going.
Paul Maguire
29   Posted 13/05/2008 at 00:33:11

Manny’s brilliant pass to Neville that set up the disallowed goal was made with such a breathtaking nonchalance it showed this guy has class written all over him. Every time he got the ball there was an air of expectancy and while it didnt always come to anything more times than not he created space or opportunity with the nature of the pass and his set piece taking was more often than not deadly - something we havent seen for a bit!
I think, if he wants to stay, its a no-brainer (or whatever it is Americans say) - he MUST be signed. (Please).
Connor Rohrer
30   Posted 13/05/2008 at 00:58:29

He actually got a few chants of "Manuel Fernandes" at the Newcastle game which was very suprising. Considering he’s been a bit of a boo boy since he returned against West ham it was quite refreshing to hear.

The best pass for me was the one where he put Victor through who eventually crossed to Yak. No one expected it and it put Capaca completely off balance. A left footed through ball it was.

To be honest though as a team we played excellent. Pienaar, Fernandes, Carsley and Osman all showed for there defenders and passed and moved. I was really impressed. Players like Pienaar and Fernandes are excellent footballers and over the past two games (Arsenal and Newcastle) have shown that if we play football to feet they’ll revel.

People have had a go at Pienaar lately because of his size and I think it was completely unfair as it was to dismiss Fernandes straight away after a few bad games. Both are very good footballers in my opinion.
Jason Lam
31   Posted 13/05/2008 at 03:00:43

He’s a quality player but without Cars (or defensive midfielder to do the dirty work) then expect Yobo, Jags and Lescott a busy next season! I’m becoming more inclined towards the need for the traditional German number 8 player, box-to-box, bang in the middle of midfield enforcer. We’re got too many wide players in this squad, that don’t have the muscle to play in the middle and clean up. My 2p worth. Any young Ballacks plying the trade in Europe?
Mark Cassin
32   Posted 13/05/2008 at 04:15:26

@jason Lam-- ironically that sounds like Michael Bradley.
Dave Flinton
33   Posted 13/05/2008 at 10:42:34

Manny to Newcastle!

They will offer more money to valencia and better wages (as usual).

Dead cert!
Robbie Muldoon
34   Posted 13/05/2008 at 12:50:41

Please get him Moyes.
Neil McKinney
35   Posted 13/05/2008 at 17:27:37

Fernandes is obviously talented, but I would definitely have reservations if there is still any 3rd party ownership. 6m rising to 8m with performances, international call ups and titles would be a great deal IMHO.

Dave Flinton - I can’t argue with your logic, we’ve seen it so many times before. Hopefully the continued stagnation of the barcodes will put him off.

COYB!!
Nick Xenos
36   Posted 14/05/2008 at 02:19:47

Matthew Lovekin, in regards to your team for next season, I would hope that Neville and Osman wont be in our first eleven. Neville has been a ’mare this season and Osman’s form has been up and down. Hopefully Moyes will find suitable replacements.
I’ve always been an admirer of Fernandes as he is a different class to the players we already have, including Arteta. If we procrastinate on this one and lose out, I’ll be really pissed off.