Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Transfers!

This is more of an annoyance at reading various posts on this site.

We all know that FM style speculation is addictive to some fans, especially once the season is over and actual football has finished, however it holds no point, and is generally only interesting to those who write it. Does anyone else agree that speculation by fans on players should be restricted to those within the rumour mill?

If a player has been linked with Everton then it is a justified, valid and relevant point to be made. If you just played Football Manager and found a gem, saw someone on you tube etc it is irrelevant. Clubs' scouts watch football matches, not football forums to find players.

Discuss real issues within the club, current squad, captaincy issues, back room staff, youth and reserve developments, Kirkby, the Board, aspirations for next season, ticket prices etc. Just please, I dont care about your opinions on a player who will never play for Everton, or who hasn't even been linked to Everton.

We know Moyes is a fan of Mike Bradley, ok discuss his ability. I have never seen us linked with David Bentley but his name is constantly mentioned on this site, I don't care about Blackburn players. Bit of a rant, I know, but even posts on yesterdays game got filled up with pointless speculation, why not add comment pages on the rumour mill, that can deal with all that speculation. The comment pages can be left for discussion on Everton.
Fran Mitchell, Liverpool     Posted 12/05/2008 at 21:52:06

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Absolutely agree, Fran. I'd take it a step further since at least 90% of the so-called "links" are totally bogus anyway. The links mean nothing until the player is signed, picture on the back page of the Echo, at Goodison Park, holding the shirt.

I'll do what I can to stamp out the FM nonsense, but I can't be expected to remember everyone we've been linked to surely to god!

Jonathan Fletcher
1   Posted 13/05/2008 at 07:26:00

Stop bitching. Its fun and harmless.
Erik Dols
2   Posted 13/05/2008 at 07:44:02

IMHO you have two types of this thing: The one being talk about rumours and the quality of the players mentioned, in which I see little harm and which is somewhat relevant, although indeed 90% of the links is totally made up.
The other one is the real FM-style like "If we buy a DL with high pace and crossing and a AMR with creativity and flair we will certainly finish 4th!" or even worse "We should buy To Madeira (or enter any other worthless players’ name that accidentaly was a good player in FM/any other football game) cause he’s the best!"
But I’m sure Michael will be ruthless against the latter type.
Paul Dunne
3   Posted 13/05/2008 at 07:53:17

Michael Owen?
Mark Cassin
4   Posted 13/05/2008 at 08:31:06

The wee ginger haired one has been seen in Russia/France/Spain/Holland.

Reckon he has been seen at Blackburn too...don’t quote me on it but I don’t think there is any speculation on Bentley unfortunately.

Though It’s rumoured that I may be jetting over to sign on for a trial period as the new right back.
Andy Brittenden
5   Posted 13/05/2008 at 09:01:53

I’m sorry but I must have got confused as to what the meaning of a discussion forum is then? If you are pissed off with reading speculation DON’T READ IT!!!!!!!

If you wanna start up a discussion about the stadium, the reserves etc then DO IT ...... don’t bitch about what other people are writing.
Jason Lam
6   Posted 13/05/2008 at 09:04:28

I find signing Riquelme and Bentley more exciting than Sidwell, Koumas and extending Cars’ contract. Just my 2p worth.
Richard Clark
7   Posted 13/05/2008 at 09:54:09

Ryan Giggs? on a free?
Tony Waverleas
8   Posted 13/05/2008 at 09:48:50

Erm, let me get this straight, Michael.

You’re going to stamp out much of the transfer speculation stuff people will attempt to post on here over the summer?
Does that mean we can also look forward to a cull of 99.9% of speculative articles and posts about the proposed stadium move?
Here’s hoping.
Paul Chisholm
9   Posted 13/05/2008 at 10:00:07

I’ve had it on good authority (my mates sisters boyfriends uncles grandads chiropodist) that were signing Messi in a straight swop for Carsley and Torres + £27 million in part exchange for AJ. It’s also rumoured that Kaka will be joining us on a free, as he’s always wanted to live in Kirkby. Watch this space....
Andy Lea
10   Posted 13/05/2008 at 10:34:50

My mate drives a Delta and saw Rilquelme at Lime Street early this very morn.....
Mike Coates
11   Posted 13/05/2008 at 10:47:23

All I’m reading at the moment is Owen stories.. lol.. Do we really need him? Midfielders I thought more the need..

Boyhood fan and all though, but so is the opposite side of the spectrum David Nuge.. lol
Steve Pendleton
12   Posted 13/05/2008 at 10:53:05

Riquelme anyone???
Ant Mill
13   Posted 13/05/2008 at 10:57:39

Riquelme wouldn?t come he had the chance to come to England and turned it down to go to Boca Juniors, it shows what great ambition he has. It?s such a shame aswell because he has world class talent and is probably one of the best if not the best playmaker in the world. In the long term surely Fernandes would be a more profitable buy, because he?s only 22 and can still improve, whereas Riquelme is about 29 and where would he fit into our system with Tim Cahill about? That?s a problem that the likes of Villarreal had with him, they had to play a different styles just to accomodate for Riquelme. Great player, but our prioritiy should be bringing younger players in for the future, who would bebable to quickly adapt to our style of play.
Simple Simon
14   Posted 13/05/2008 at 11:34:35

I love the rumour mill and am similarly keen on making up rumours myself. Long may it continue. Right, I’m off to football-rumours.com to post some bollocks!
Seamus Murphy
15   Posted 13/05/2008 at 11:44:01

Jesus fran if you dont like post about speculation then dont read them - simple as.
"and is generally only interesting to those who write it" - I dont believe this for a second mate - just look at the amount of people who post every time there is some speculation.

Look nobody tell you what to discuss so why should you tell others? Dont be so bloody uptight, just read the posts you want to read and dont read the others and stop fucking preaching to everyone ffs!!
Peter Bradshaw
16   Posted 13/05/2008 at 11:48:59

Think you should write what you feel thats what a forum is, personally as soon as I see the words ground move the brain switches off and my knob goes inverted. Sorry the most boring subject since my auntie Aggie caught her left tit in the mangle. IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT READ IT FFS.
Andrew Fletcher
17   Posted 13/05/2008 at 12:26:51

Its fate !! Ive just driven passed a certain Michael Owen exiting his gates from his house near Mold in a fairly oldish Y reg Porsche boxter.

He looked dejected at Goodison on the last day and I think that has a lot to do with being away in Newcastle all the time.

Given his lifestyle in North Wales I’m sure he’s thinking about a short travelling distance and any of the 4 NW prem clubs would probably suit. I would like him at Everton, depending on fitness but I’m sure we couldnt afford his wages. Man Utd the likeliest of destinations IMO
Tony Connor
18   Posted 13/05/2008 at 13:14:26

It’s not the speculation that does my head in...that’s just a bit of ’fun’.

What gets me down is this sequence:

Newspaper says we’re about to put in £12M offer for Bentley (why wouldn’t they..they make everything else up)

Bentley goes to Newcastle (where else?) for £14M

Next day on TW mass of whinging bastards complaining that ’Dithering Dave’ has missed another target and the Board lack ambition...

when Moyes never had the slightest bloody intention of going after Bentley!!!!

Have fun but remember..the rumourmill is just a journalists plaything to shift newpapers that, on the whole, no longer REPORT the news.
Stuart Mitchell
19   Posted 13/05/2008 at 13:25:36

Hey if we cannot discuss potential signings, what else are we meant to do till the new season!!

What harm does it cause to discuss who we believe would improve the side, or to discuss the various rumours floating about.
Dominic Fitzpatrick
20   Posted 13/05/2008 at 13:29:52

hahaha!

To Madeira!!

What an awesome player he was!

Shame he was fake!

Kallstrom anyone?
Jay Harris
21   Posted 13/05/2008 at 13:29:33

Stuart you took the words right out of my keyboard.
What else can we do in the close season.
We?ve hammered the Tescodome to death,cricised all the players and Moyes.
It?s more fun and harmless to come on here and see who Aunties Uncles Niece has spotted Ronaldo coming out of the Wilmslow with 2 transvestites.
James Marshall
22   Posted 13/05/2008 at 13:39:26

Michael Owen is reported as being unhappy at having to take a pay-cut at Newcastle from £120,000 a week, down to £80,000 a week - now the papers are saying that Everton could be interested in him, but since when did Everton pay anyone anything close to £120,000 a week?

I’m well aware that its paper talk, but even so, I simply don’t gettit.
Anthony Osullivan
23   Posted 13/05/2008 at 13:37:12

We have spent the season talking about current squad , Kirkby bla bla bla its been done to death as is frankly getting boring.

Now that its the transfer season people want to talk about transfers shock horror !!!

so here is a summer of talking about Kirkby f’n brilliant !!!!!!!

It is a bit of fun for the summer when we have no other football to talk about.
Will Leaf
24   Posted 13/05/2008 at 14:03:47

Well I ’ve been doing a ton of research on FM and I have the following to offer:

Signing Kaka or Messi will be tough, and no manner of fiddling with the editor can I get them to come to Goodison. So what hope do we have. I say we must end all speculation now!

As for Owen, his stats are not as impressive as the above two. Also, having played for Liverpool cancels out any boyhood Evertonian considerations.
Jay Harris
25   Posted 13/05/2008 at 15:50:04

James
Apparently Owen was credited with saying if he had to take a pay cut to £80,000 per week he?d sooner play for his boyhood heroes than Newcastle.
I personally think he was past his sell by date a few years ago and with the amount of time he spends on the treatment table would not even consider him at £40,000 per week.
Neil McKinney
26   Posted 13/05/2008 at 17:09:47

Totally agree with all the posts supporting continued transfer discussion. There does often appear to be a little confusion on this site about what a forum is. I pretty much disagree with everything that Mr Marsh posts, but I still enjoy reading the crap and watching the blood boil as all the counter-posts flood in. If you read it all then complain that it’s crap then that’s fine, but you can’t say it shouldn’t be allowed, that’s just wrong. Next time don’t read any thread that hints at transfer speculation.

With that said, I would like to second Jay’s post. Our wage structure is a fragile one and if we’re going to break it with a big signing then I don’t want it to be a burnt out, injury prone striker. Boyhood fan or not, I wouldn’t pay him more than 25-30,000 a week. You might as well install solid gold treatment tables at Finch Farm!

Keep on speculating guys cos we’ll have fuck all else to do for a few months!

COYB!!