Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

More Rooney money!

According to Skysports ManU have just paid Everton £1 million for wining the EPL as part of the Rooney deal. Another £500K will be due if they win the CL next week.

I have just checked the terms of the Rooney contract, and found out that the extras clauses are valid until August 2009.

Happy days.

ps: I shall not be tempted to cheer on Utd next week.
Brian Baker, Aldershot     Posted 13/05/2008 at 13:09:43

Comments

Rupert Sullivan
1   Posted 13/05/2008 at 14:21:25

I would be very surprised if this money hadn’t been wiped out by the Neville and Howard deals to be honest.
James Marshall
2   Posted 13/05/2008 at 14:28:35

It was the other way round, £500k so far, another £500k if they win the Chumps League I think Brian.

I notice you’re a Shots man btw - Caaaaardinals.......Caaaardinals!
Lee Mandaracas
3   Posted 13/05/2008 at 14:35:10

Just to clarify, it’s £500k for winning the league, £500k for getting to the final of the Champions’ League and a further £500k if they win it. Hence, £1m so far with a possible £500k still to come.
Patty Beesley
4   Posted 13/05/2008 at 14:38:15

Rupert - It states on the official EFC web site that we are in for the cash from Man Utd. Almost enough to buy a Championship player to change into a Premier League one as Davey does so well.
Mark Hill
5   Posted 13/05/2008 at 14:56:11

How were you able to check to terms on his contract...???? do you have a copy?
Just out of curiosity...??
Andy Ellams
6   Posted 13/05/2008 at 15:10:54

Don’t to be the deliverer of doom and gloom, but wasn’t a portion of the McFadden transfer dependant on them staying up? One hand giveth, the other taketh away
Stefan Tosev
7   Posted 13/05/2008 at 16:36:59

I don?t know about you but I was embarrassed when the news appeared on the OS, we look as some feeder club to United and not a club looking to challenge them in the near future.
Jay Harris
8   Posted 13/05/2008 at 16:46:09

Stefan
I totally agree with you.

If we are so desparate to get £0.5 million extra off the Mancs we must be in serious financial trouble.

I hope Chelski stuff them and the "Traitor".
Neil McKinney
9   Posted 13/05/2008 at 16:56:06

Stefan & Jay - You read into it what you want to. The OS are just reporting the facts, if you think that makes us look like we are "desperate" for the pittance that we’ll be getting then that’s your take on it.

We were never going to keep Rooney with the best will in the world. He was clearly world class at a time when we were barely Premiership class. I hardly think we can be classed as a feeder club, but you could argue that with the current gulf in financial clout, we are all feeder clubs to the "Big 4". Let’s face it, if they really want one of our players and they offer the sort of money we got for Rooney, it’s pretty hard to turn them down. The problem we have is that every summer up til now we have needed more than the odd superstar to change our fortunes. We have to look for a number of players whereas the "Big 4" only need to find the missing link.

For what we got for Rooney we’ve bought Yak, Lescott, Jags, Baines.. I think that makes the point. Rooney is class, but he was never going to win us the title on his own.

It’s a pittance, but every little helps in my book and I’d rather be getting the money than not.
James Marshall
10   Posted 13/05/2008 at 17:08:44

Never look a gifthorse in the mouth...I think thats the saying anyway..

I hope Utd win the CL - Chelsea represent everything thats wrong with football - even moreso than Utd.
Stefan Tosev
11   Posted 13/05/2008 at 18:10:39

Neil,

you are missing the point mate. I am not against MU money, I am against the way it was presented on OS.
Jeremy Benson
12   Posted 13/05/2008 at 18:26:21

I’m with Mark. Who has seen the contract?

No-one.

Guess-work.
Phil Roberts
13   Posted 13/05/2008 at 18:40:00

Interesting the "Traitor" tag being used again.

Me - I was in that camp, and probably still are, but it occurred to me earlier this week that is there a more loyal and passionate Evertonian in our team than Phil Neville? OK, maybe one or two - but he is totally for this team - and yet he grew up a Manc, played for them and still lives there. So should we be so surrprised about Rooney’s badge kissing?

Gutted yes, but surprised no
Robbie KIrkham
14   Posted 13/05/2008 at 18:59:30

The bonus payments aren?t that good considering Shrewsbury Town are reported to be getting £500,000 off Man City if Joe Hart plays 1 game for England. The greatest talent to come through are ranks in years & we recieve £20m & bonuses payments of about £5m if they do well still makes me sick that deal.
Davey Militwitch
15   Posted 13/05/2008 at 19:45:40

I hope the traitor loses. Why do I still call him a traitor? Not for the badge kissing, but for fucking off to Utd at the time when the club he alledgedly supported was staring down the barrell. Alan Smith never left Leeds to join a top 4 side when he had every opportunity to-he stayed, fought for the team he loved and when they were relegated he still went on to join a side like Utd. Thats the difference, thats why Leeds fans dont call alan smith a traitor because he isn’t-Rooney on the other hand......

Come on Chelsea.
Roberto Birquet
16   Posted 13/05/2008 at 19:45:47

I get a bit sick of people saying that we have somehow lost the Rooney money because we’ve brought a couple of Man U players in. Who cares if we get £27 million and pay £6.5 million back for Neville and Howard. Or whether we get £20.5 million and pay nowt for our two players. It adds up to the same thing. And either way, we get a half million extra if they win the CL. Happy days. More in the pot; stop moaning!
Dave Griffin
17   Posted 13/05/2008 at 22:58:10

I’m tempted to say ’Every Little Helps’. But let’s not even go there.
Jeff Smith
18   Posted 13/05/2008 at 23:38:32

For Mark Hill. Go on the Bluekipper site and type in rooney contract in the search at the bottom of page. Click on Item 5 of the answers and scroll down for the contract details.
Jason Lam
19   Posted 14/05/2008 at 02:14:08

I’ll be cheering Chelsea. These fuckers of manure fans over ’ere believe they had every right to take our Rooney, who shouldn’t be playing for a ’crap’ club. They want, they take. Chelsea are probably not better, nor the RS, but Rooney was our boy and David decide to take on another wife when he already had millions.

Fucking stick it into them Chelsea.
Peter Howard
20   Posted 14/05/2008 at 16:51:08

Neil Mc, i agree and i’m glad we ’fed’ the RS Barmby and Neptune!
John Beattie
21   Posted 14/05/2008 at 17:47:52

The OS may be reporting facts, but they are puting a disingenuous spin on it. The Rooney deal, as published to the stock exchange, was for 2 payments of 10 million with a possible further 7 million depending on certain conditions occurring within the next five years. If none of the conditions are met, then a minimum of 3 million is guaranteed. So far the conditional payments are 3.25 million (1 million for the 2 titles, 250K for a runners up spot, 500K for the CL final, and 1.5 million for signing a new contract). I.e. all Utd?s success so far has accounted for an extra 250K over and above the 3 million we were guaranteed.

Assuming Utd win the CL, do the treble next year, and Rooney gains another two competitive caps, the most we can make is a further 2.65 million ? top whack is therefore £25.9 million.
Ben Patchesa
22   Posted 19/05/2008 at 20:29:28

Am I right in thinking we'll get another £1 million from the Rooney deal should Man U win the Champions League? Or has that clause expired? Or, indeed, was it never part of the deal?