Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Would we be so enthused?

With the BBC full of articals like this one: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7396376.stm would Everton fans on the eve of battle for the final be so excited as these Rangers fans? We all liked being in the competition, but it is Europe's two-bob cup, sold out on prestige a long time ago, but a trophy is a trophy! Rangers will either be first or second each year in their poor quality league, and we are in the 'worlds best league'. So maybe it's all down the comparitive habitats in which we play the game...
Nick Entwistle, London     Posted 13/05/2008 at 17:41:44

Comments

Albert Dock
1   Posted 14/05/2008 at 06:59:43

I’d probably watch a re-run of Strictly come ice dancing underwater with the world’s funniest animals.

Have you seen a doctor recently?
Andy Ellams
2   Posted 14/05/2008 at 08:48:22

I came through Euston Station today on my way to work and there were loads of Rangers and Zenit fans waiting for trains to Manchester and I was very jealous. And yes I would be extremely enthused.
Seamus Murphy
3   Posted 14/05/2008 at 10:24:28

Short answer - yes
Paul O'Hanlon
4   Posted 14/05/2008 at 10:34:02

To me and many other blues under the age of 30 it would?ve been the pinnacle of our Evertonian lives. To win a European trophy is miles from the dross we?ve had to endure over the past 14 yrs and I would?ve lapped up every minute of occasion in Manc land.

I loved every minute of our UEFA cup exertions this season. It didn?t matter to me that the competition doesn?t bring much money or anywhere near the prestige the chumps league does. The fact is, we?re not used to being in Europe these days and we need to get that experience back. We need to be known again on the continent. How many times have you been abroad and people you?ve spoken to haven?t heard of Everton?

The final?s where I want to be next season, more than finishing 5th again in the league.
Nathan Ward
5   Posted 14/05/2008 at 10:45:44

Sorry mate but that just sounds bitter.

I would love to be watching Everton in that match tonight. Given we haven’t been to a domestic final for 13 years and a large proportion of our support weren’t around in 85 it would be the biggest thing for us.

That is why so many of us are chuffed that we have qualified again for next season
Stefan Tosev
6   Posted 14/05/2008 at 10:45:57

Another ignorant, deluded post from big time Charlie, so Everton are so successful that UEFA CUP is now two-bob cup?!?

What can be said about Carling Cup and FA Cup then, as they are qualifiers for the UEFA Cup? Really some of us are long, long way from the reality. I would like to win any of the above-mentioned cups instead of being ?best of the rest?, 4-th, third or runner up. Porto won UEFA cup used it as a platform for CL next term, Liverpool won 3 cups in season and therefore Owen won the Golden Ball but for Everton ? the European aristocrats, with a loads of titles in the last 2 decades - UEFA and subsequently its qualifiers are two bob cup?!?

For the likes of Bayern, Villareal, Atletico M, Zenith, Benfica, Werder, Hamburger SV, Fiorentina all of which, bar Zenith have greater European pedigree and reputation than us its great to be involved but for us the ?mighty? Everton its simply not worth? Just for the record all of the above mentioned teams will compete in CL next season, does this means that its also two-bob cup?
Simple Simon
7   Posted 14/05/2008 at 11:52:19

I’m very jealous of Rangers and would be absolutely enthralled if it was Everton playing Zenit tonight.
Dave Lynch
8   Posted 14/05/2008 at 12:22:18

Can you imagine the lift it would have given us if we were in that final.
I like a lot of blues have had the privelage of watching us in numerous finals.
There is no better feeling than watching your team come out in a final, except winning it of course.
David Moore
9   Posted 14/05/2008 at 12:39:12

Yes Yes Yes, i already bought plane tickets after group stage from Aus as it was cheaper back then and i would have been missing my half yearly’s in yr 11. so damn yes i would have been excited.
BTW i already gave the plane tickets away to a Rangers fan so don’t ask for them, even though its a bit late as my lpane would’ve left on sunday
Robbie Muldoon
10   Posted 14/05/2008 at 12:50:14

We couldn’t get past Fiorentina but Rangers fuckin could! It makes me sick.

Moyes the negative tactician
Jay Harris
11   Posted 14/05/2008 at 12:56:28

As a longstanding Evertonian who has been to the 60s and 80s and 95 cup finals I can tell you the feeling never changes.

There is no feeling like it especially winning it.

I feel sorry for all the younger blues who have yet to experience it but lets hope we put that right soon and back DM to the hilt to get us there.
Dylan Thomson
12   Posted 14/05/2008 at 12:59:25

Jez Robbie

Did you see any of the two legs of Rangers v Fiorentina or any of rangers run in Europe come to that !!!

Did you ever see any Everton games while walter picked the team (nine defenders most likely). Yours was just a negative post for the sake of a negative post. it has no basis on fact and if i have to explain why then there is no just no hope for some people.

Steve Green
13   Posted 14/05/2008 at 13:14:46

"We couldn?t get past Fiorentina but Rangers fuckin could! It makes me sick.

Moyes the negative tactician."

And Rangers going through without scoring a goal (apart from penalties) makes Smith a positive tactician, right?
Tony Williams
14   Posted 14/05/2008 at 13:26:22

You are taking the piss right? I would have not been sober from the match on Sunday if I was going to "City twice".

As already pointed out by another poster, unbelievably bitter post that mate.

Robbie, why is it that it seems that there is always one poster who has to turn a debate into a Moyes Out thread?

Absoultely no point in your post at all and also shows how poor your knowledge of football is when Rangers simply played anti-football to get through to the final. Maybe if Moyes had of been much more negative we would have defended better in Italy and perhaps managed to get through the tie.
Nick Entwistle
15   Posted 14/05/2008 at 13:37:04

Just like to point out, that though I posted this thread I’d still be excited and everything else with competing in the final. I though do believe it is a two bob cup, reflecting little of the imprtance and prestige it once held before UEFA made mid week all about the CL. But that’s football...
Also, with what we learned this season, we’ve got to fancy our chances big time next season.
Gerard May
16   Posted 14/05/2008 at 14:25:23

Just remember that Walter "Tactical Genius" Smith is the manager of Rangers, before you criticise Moyes, that man took us to the very brink of disaster with some of his buys and tactical decisions, Moyes may not be perfect but he gets it right more often than his predecessor, I mean Steve Watson up front, TWICE!
Harvey Smith
17   Posted 14/05/2008 at 20:56:00

Of course it’s a case of "what could have been" but Rangers are truly rubbish tonight.

Suppose if they were to go on and win tonight, even the most ardent Rangers supporter would admit that they have been made to look like muppets. With regards to the age-old argument, it’s about titles and not about pretty football...if EFC had gotten to the final and played this sort of hoofball, I would have hung my head in shame.

Having said that, they finally look like they want to play something reembling football in the 2nd half. Ooooh, Arshavin, unlucky with what looked like a certain goal!
Robbie Muldoon
18   Posted 14/05/2008 at 22:30:47

I despair at some fellow Evertonians I really do, I mean I admire positivity... but I made a negative post because thats how I feel when I see a shit side in Rangers and a team we beat at xmas playing in the UEFA cup Final.

I ask myself why it isn’t us there? And I can only conclude because we didn’t try and get an away goal in Florence.

You point to Walter Smiths negative tactics, which are a disgrace in my opinion, so what good did it do them tonight in the Final? It done them fuck all good. Because the team that was looking to actually score a few goals won.

Football is about scoring, and sometimes our Davey wishes to settle for a draw and hope to knick a goal - even though we have players of the calibre of Yakubu, Arteta etc. who can create and score goals better than most.
Stefan Tosev
19   Posted 14/05/2008 at 23:03:32

Robbie,

you must be kidding right, at first you are praising Rangers and Smith for getting into the final, then after the final result you are burying them for negative tactics - clever isnt it?

Hinsight is always good after the event is over, Rangers played antifootball all the way to the final yet you were praising them and W Smith, after they lost - its all you can get with negative tactics lol ?!?

IMO we tried to shut up the store in Florence and did our job well in the first half, however our Achilles heel as ever this season was the second half and the two late goals (we must work that out) that cost us the tie.

We failed to score in only one European game (out of 10) how is that negative and Rangers with 2 goals in their 5 games positive football I will never know but hinsight after the event is over is always wise,isnt it?
Robbie Muldoon
20   Posted 15/05/2008 at 12:22:26

Stefan,

Where have I ever praised Rangers for getting into the final? I haven?t.

I am focused on one game - away to Fiorentina. We set up like Rangers did last night and inevitably the side playing more positively won.

What is so hard to understand?
Stefan Tosev
21   Posted 15/05/2008 at 12:58:28

We couldn?t get past Fiorentina but Rangers fuckin could! It makes me sick.

Now tell me how did Rangers manage to go trough the final in first place, free flowing football or defensive approach. We never were so defensive as Rangers, we played our most attacking side available at the moment and threw even unfit Arteta in the second half, I can?t label it defensive or dour approach. We never played with 11 behind the ball and maybe that was the problem