Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Zoltan Gera!

Apparently getting Zoltan Gera for free if he passes a medical. A great signing I think, a great squad player for us and arguably West Brom's best player during their time in the Premier League. Gives us more cover in midfield and considering he won't cost anything, it's very good.
Ben Jones, Anglesey     Posted 16/05/2008 at 16:13:07

Comments

Jon Mcilveen
1   Posted 16/05/2008 at 16:27:30

Surely this is to boost the size of an already small squad and not to try and break in to the 'Sky Four?'
Matthew Johnson
2   Posted 16/05/2008 at 17:00:01

Not a player I would of gone out and splashed hard earned money on, but no problems people coming in on a free...
Stefan Tosev
3   Posted 16/05/2008 at 16:59:57

Jon,

you dont expect Arshavin,Joaqin,Fernandes and Bradley at the same time at GP, do you?
Nick Xenos
4   Posted 16/05/2008 at 17:02:24

Not one we all expected but a fine pick up by Moyes. By all reports, has had a fine season in the Championship and is an experienced international to boot. Strong in the air, good vision and capable with both feet, this man definitely adds to what we’ve already got. At 29, the time is now for Zoltan. He has an opportunity to shine on a bigger stage and we may just bear the fruits from that. Nice one Moyes!
Michael Hunt
5   Posted 16/05/2008 at 17:09:13

Good biz, useful squad addition. Skillful and creative wide mid player. Out of contract at WBA and at 29 understandably wants to be in a squad likely to be top 5 rather than bottom 5.
Adds a bit of height to the midfield as well. Unlikely to be a regular until injuries bite IMO.
Tony Graham
6   Posted 16/05/2008 at 17:26:06

I have just had a look at Gera's profile on the WBA site, seems he may have a pelvic injury that won't go away; he has gone home to try and resolve it! Hope he gets a THOROUGH medical before signing, free or not!
Paul Thompson
7   Posted 16/05/2008 at 17:55:12

Ok, he’s not Arshavin, but this guy always impresses me whenever I see him. Fast, skilful, scores goals and would add a bit of stature to the midfield. Previous reference to a persistent pelvic injusry may well be out of date. He certainly played in most of WBA’s games this year. If the rumour is true, a decent addition, though hopefully only the begiining.
Terry Smith
8   Posted 16/05/2008 at 18:01:36

I can't complain for a free signing but hopefully he will be used as a squad player we can rely on, unlike Toomy G & VDM. Bigger names are still a must
Ben Howard
9   Posted 16/05/2008 at 18:03:58

I’ve always liked Gera and he would be a really useful squad addition. He’s a right-sided playmaker which makes him a perfect understudy to Arteta or allows Mikey to come inside. I just really hope Moyes doesn’t see him as a replacement. Sorry for the negative paranoia!!
Tony Marsh
10   Posted 16/05/2008 at 18:12:10

Zoltan WHO? Not the type of player a club with proper ambitions should entertain is he? In fact its a joke free or not as the guy is a terminal sick note. We need quality.
Ric Wallace
11   Posted 16/05/2008 at 18:30:46

Tony - stick to talking about clubs you know.
None of us on this page can say we know how good or bad Zoltan Gera is. Only Baggies fans can tell us how good or not he is.
So hush up and let’s see if he signs or not first!
Lescott and Cahill haven’t been bad signings from Championship clubs have they Tony?
Alan Clarke
12   Posted 16/05/2008 at 18:38:30

At least we’ve not signed Sammy Lee. Now that’s ambition!
Adam Doyle
13   Posted 16/05/2008 at 18:47:50

Excuse me, but where is everyone getting these reports from? All I can find other than this Mailbag Item is a mention in the Rumour Mill section.
Connor Rohrer
14   Posted 16/05/2008 at 18:58:42

Gera is actually a decent player. One of the best players in the Championship and certainly Premier League quality. He?s technically gifted, tall and can play right, left and centre. I think he prefers to play on the right which would keep Mikel on his toes.

Good signing on a free. We're trying to build a sqaud and someone like Zoltan Gera would be an excellent squad player for us. He?ll give the likes of Arteta, Osman, Pienaar, Cahill and possibly Fernandes good competition for the left, right and central roles.
Stuart Mitchell
15   Posted 16/05/2008 at 19:12:01

Not Impressed, heading towards the end of his career, injury problems and for me its just another burden on the wage budget
Lee Bates
16   Posted 16/05/2008 at 19:22:00

As a baggies fan I can confirm that Gera is a quality player. On the right of the midfield he can deliver an excellent cross and will also make his way into the penalty area to score a goal or two. He is surprisingly good in the air and I assure you most, if not all, albion fans will be sad to see him leave.
Joey Wilson
17   Posted 16/05/2008 at 19:19:25

We showed no interest when he was injury free and in his prime... why would we want him now?
Ian MacHenry
18   Posted 16/05/2008 at 19:15:01

Wouldn?t get in Villa?s, Man City's, Portsmouth's, Tottenham?s or even Blackburn's team... and we?re trying to brake the top four. Squad player or not, IMO not good enough.

I?m all for building a squad but we should be looking at bringing in better first team players, than using the likes of Carsley, Osman, Johnson, Hibbert an alike as our squad players.

Connor Rohrer
19   Posted 16/05/2008 at 19:28:44

Ian MacHenry, we hardly have any midfielders at the moment so we do need squad players. He’s a very capable player, experienced and on a free there’s nothing to moan about.

Its not like Moyes is making him prioirty. He’s just boosting what is a very small squad.
Andy Hudson
20   Posted 16/05/2008 at 19:37:34

I added this to a different thread but thought its more relevant here... (Tony Marsh please take note).

Just been on the West Brom website and these are Gera?s stats for the season:

League Apps: 33 (plus 10 sub)
League Goals: 8

FA Cup Apps: 4 (plus 1 sub)
FA Cup Goals: 1

League Cup Apps: 1
League Cup Goals: 1

Overall Apps: 38 (Plus 11 sub)
Overall Goals: 10

Their website doesn?t include assists unfortunately, but his goals to appearances stats aren?t too bad for a midfielder.

Obviously NOT a termonal sick note!
Ian MacHenry
21   Posted 16/05/2008 at 19:33:47

Connor Rohrer... As I stated, we have IMO players who play week in week out who are not good enough to be challeging for 4th place or silverware. We took 1 point from the top four this season, that was because our team wasn?t good enough. You can say what you like about your Leon Osmans and Lee Carsleys but against the big teams they are not good enough and need to be replaced.

Players who are going to make an impact in the first team is what this club needs to progress. I?m all for keeping Osman & Carsley as the squad players. I understand you're trying to be positive and trying to see some good out of it but deep down you can?t be happy.

Tony Part
22   Posted 16/05/2008 at 20:04:14

He is a quality player and for a free transfer; I would welcome this signing straight away.

I remember when we played West Brom last time they were in the Prem and he looked a good midfielder to me and someone who at that time I said Everton should go after once West Brom had gone down.

Tommy Gibbons
23   Posted 16/05/2008 at 19:54:52

As another poster stated, most of us don?t really know Gera but thanks to another poster providing his stats for the season, he?ll certainly be a great squad man. So he isn?t in Arshevins class but then not many are!! And one more point... Arshavin's agent seems to state Everton are his preferred destination in the Premier League.
Jay Harris
24   Posted 16/05/2008 at 20:02:03

Adam Doyle try www.evertonnews.com it has plenty of links to EFC stories.

Ian I?m totally with Connor on this he?s on a free, low wages and good all round cover for the MF where we want to bolster numbers. Leaves more in the kitty for that one or two "special players".
Ian MacHenry
25   Posted 16/05/2008 at 20:09:55

Jay Harris, that?s a fair comment and I won?t be to disheartened if indeed we get those "special players" but I suppose we?ll have to wait and see.
The thought of him in an Everton shirt still doesn?t make me want August to come around any quicker though... but it is early days.
Connor Rohrer
26   Posted 16/05/2008 at 20:17:40

Ian MacHenry, breaking into the top four isn?t all about the starting 11. Its about having a good first eleven as well as having capable squad players who can come in and make a difference when one of your main player is out.

At the moment we have Cahill, Pienaar, Arteta and Osman on our books in midfield. Obviously Carsley is yet to sign a contract, Manny is back at Valencia and Van der Meyde isn?t worth mentioning.

We need bodies and Zoltan Gera is a player who has the ability to be an excellent squad player and can come in and fill a gap. In the past we?ve had players like Gravesen and Van der Meyde who are supposedly squad players but the fact of the matter is they never play so there nothing. Gera will be avaible and will play his part whether its right, left or in the middle.

I?m not saying he is a big signing and Moyes will know very well he isn?t but he?s a useful player to have and certainly a talented one. The big singings will come later on in the transfer window and will actually cost money.

Gera won?t cost anything and he?s a good player. You where probably saying the same thing about Steven Pienaar and look at him. No one expected him to be as good as he is but he?s proved everyone wrong.
David Brown
27   Posted 16/05/2008 at 20:23:32

I would rather have him covering in midfeild if we had an injury crisis than Neville. A good freebie to add the quantity to the squad. Now for the quality.
Michael Jones
28   Posted 16/05/2008 at 20:27:47

Will you eat your hat if it is true? - then post the video of said hat eating? would you put it on Youtube and post a link to the devotees of Toffeeweb? If it isn’t true, you need never darken our door again. Kiss
Brian Waring
29   Posted 16/05/2008 at 20:31:03

So much for keeping the average age of the squad down. Also Andy, the stats you mention, are for a player in the championship.
Michael Jones
30   Posted 16/05/2008 at 20:38:57

He’s 29 - when midfielders are at the peak of their craft.
He’s free (if this is all true and not purely rumour) - this is opportunist and good business.

If there are few signings over the summer, I might review my opinion - but at the moment this looks like good news to me.
Connor Rohrer
31   Posted 16/05/2008 at 20:40:19

To be honest Brian Waring we could do with some experience and especially if Carsley is leaving.

Gera isn’t your typical Championship player. People will be suprised when they see him. He’s a cultured player, technically gifted and certainly Premiership quality.

There are some gems in the Championship who are never given there chance to shine until there mid to late 20s. The likes of Cahill, Johnson, Jags and Lescott prove this.
Ian MacHenry
32   Posted 16/05/2008 at 20:26:56

Connor, I’m fully aware that breaking into the Top Four and football in general isn’t just about the 1st eleven hence the reason I’ve continually mentioned " squad players " Gera is a decent player but that’s all he is, your not going to win anything with him IMO. As you stated though he can’t be any worse than VDM.
I want to see us improve the first team first and foremost an utalise the players we currently have as our then " squad players ".I do take your point though that he will boost numbers but it’s not just about bringing in numbers it’s about quality as well.

As for Pienaar I was happy when we signed him on loan as I’d seen him play a few times for Ajax in the champions league including a match vs Liverpool a few seasons back. Don’t get me wrong I didn’t think he’d have quite the impact he’s had on us this quickly.

Enjoyed the discussion... It’s much easier & quicker trying to get your point across in the pub though !
Andy Hudson
33   Posted 16/05/2008 at 20:56:13

Brian Waring I know they are stats for the Championship but they are they only stats available. You can only judge a player on the league he?s playing in, so I supplied people with the stats available, and he seems to have done a good job this season. He?s definately a player capable of playing at Premier League level and a good addition as cover and a squad player.
Karl Masters
34   Posted 16/05/2008 at 21:38:15

If this happens, it?s a smart move by Moyes in my opinion. You don?t pick up many International Captains on a Free these days do you?

I remember him scoring against us at Goodison last day of the 05-06 season and whilst he may not be Ferenc Puskas he?s a useful player who knows where the goal is.

Also, he?s hungry for success and showing some ambition to play at a higher Club level and these are always good pointers towards a player?s attitue and desire. Basically, when he gets his chance he?ll go for it - the complete opposite of a VDM for example, who is happy enough picking up the cash and partying.
Gary Tudor
35   Posted 16/05/2008 at 21:45:04

Agree, he would be a great addition, shrewd bit of business.
He is one of the best players at West Brom.
Adam Wightman
36   Posted 16/05/2008 at 22:02:05

If he comes on a free what do we have to lose? He is Hungarian captain and a very good player. I have faith Moyes knows what he is doing. I remember watching him in an England game and he even scored a goal. I was urging him to get an eqauliser when Crouch started doing his robot dance....
Mike Grundy
37   Posted 16/05/2008 at 23:05:38

I love the way we are all talking as if he has actually signed, done the press conferance and picked a squad number.

When in reality, hes just a name picked out of thin air..........
Adam Hunter
38   Posted 16/05/2008 at 23:48:29

Being an Everton fan, but having West Brom as my local club so knowing a lot about them.... I would say this would be a decent signing, no worse, no better. I wouldn?t expect him to be in our first 11, but as I think someone else mentioned we need numbers in mdfield so we don't have to see Neville in there next season (shudder). He is technically good, works hard and is good in the air. Can?t complain for a free.
Steve Williams
39   Posted 17/05/2008 at 00:21:13

I can’t understand why we’re all getting irrational about a mere rumour. At this point there seems little substance in the ’deal’.

I suspect that those in favour are comparing Gera gainst the painfully thin squad we currently have, whilst those against are looking at what is needed to breach the top four. Both have valid arguments.

In my observation, I suppose it comes down to what we expect EFC to represent; pushing for the best or just hoping to be best of the rest.
John Andrews
40   Posted 17/05/2008 at 00:54:57

Obviously the first of our top quality signings... NOT!
Steve Ashton
41   Posted 17/05/2008 at 09:11:57

This is a widely reported story on the internet and in the press this morning (see link below)

For what it’s worth I think it is potentially an excellent move. No matter what you say he adds quality to the squad (being better than Tommy G or AVDM) and quantity in an area where we are lacking at present.

But as Michael says when I see him in a blue shirt on the back of the Echo then I’ll believe it.

I don’t have a dog and my tropical fish aren’t that well connected so for all I know this might be the support from the board that Lieness was talking about on the OS.

Any one know when AVDM’s contract expires so we can all stop talking about him!
Gary Larsen
42   Posted 17/05/2008 at 09:33:46

I have spoken to my mate who is a WBA fan, and he is not happy about Gera moving to us. He says he is a quailty player! Just look what Moyes has done with Lescott, Cahill and Jags. They have all become top players.
Gera will add more quality to the squad than Gravs did, and will play a lot more games. Still agree with other comments made that we need some real top quality players for the midfield.
Dan Henshaw
43   Posted 17/05/2008 at 09:27:40

I for one am pleasently surprised by this. Ok he?s not Arsharvin (who we must go all out to get); however, as a Bosman I think he will provide excellent back-up and do a job if selected. if you watch him for WB he is a real aerial threat coming in at the back stick ? something I think we can all agree is missing from our game at the moment.

Time will tell on this signing, ie, if Bradley Arsharvin etc do come then I think it's good buissness; if they don't and his squad position is elevated then not so good. At least davey has moved quickly for a change!

Nick Wall
44   Posted 17/05/2008 at 19:45:55

Can we all calm down about this ? The reports on a couple of footie websites that Gera is about to sign for us haven't been corroborated anywhere else, and this piece seems much more credible to me:
Thought I'd clear up some of the reports claiming Zoltan Gera is about to sign for Everton.

That's simply not the case. Yes, there is an interest in Gera, but, as of last night, there hadn't even been any talks between the Hungarian and the Toffees. David Moyes likes him and his name has been mentioned as a target. But that's as far as it's gone.

Everton are merely one of several clubs interested in him. Wigan and Bolton are keen, with Middlesbrough also sniffing (Boro incidentally were the last side to actually test Albion's resolve, back in January last year).

Speaking to people close to Zoltan I detect that he has not yet decided on his future - and yes Albion is still an option - although he does want it to be resolved sooner, rather than later. So do Albion.

Applying common sense you would have to assume Gera will leave Albion. He's 29 and the next contract will be the most important of his career. Despite Albion's best intentions and Tony Mowbray's desire to keep him, it's likely that Gera will go to the club who offer him the best package and this is where Albion will probably miss out. They will simply be priced out of the market.

But, to reiterate the original point - Gera hasn't signed for anyone just yet.

Original Blog post

Tamas Gergely
45   Posted 03/06/2008 at 15:24:42

Gera is skilled,techically fast and strong in air.

For who doesn’t believe this here are some videos:

(Zoltan Gera - Legen part 1-2)

(vs Italy, Cannavaro was at better position but Gera
was faster..and the pass..)
Goltan Zera
46   Posted 05/06/2008 at 09:38:03

He has agreed to sign for Fulham. It will be announced next week.