Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

The Toffees?

I am an Ipswich supporter who loves every aspect of our beautiful game. I am at present looking into the reasons why a club have a certain identity, colour or badge and the historical implications of the area around that club.

Everton are a brilliant club that I love to visit, and I believe that your badge is a local watchtower in the local area. What intrigues me is your nickmane the Toffees. It is such a distinctive nickname, and with Everton being one of the oldest clubs in existence a historical explanation must exist. Your input would be appreciated. Good Luck next year.
Gary Mullenger, Ipswich     Posted 17/05/2008 at 16:35:02

Comments

Nice comments, Gary, thanks for those. Here?s the tale of The Toffees nickname.
Adam Cunliffe
1   Posted 17/05/2008 at 17:49:38

It was created when we moved to Goodison from Anfield. There was a local sweetshop which created Everton Mints in recognition of this and from then we were nicknamed The Toffees. Also, the early directors held meetings in a place called the Everton Toffee House which may be another possible reason.
Tommy Gibbons
2   Posted 17/05/2008 at 18:44:30

To the guy from Ipswich... a team who I?ve enjoyed watching a few times when they come to the NW (me mate is an exiled carrot-crunching tractor driver! who becam an Everton season ticket holder before he moved to Germany): The tower is in fact an old jail for drunkards and blaggards, known as St Rupert's Tower (it still exists today). Its last use was for storing gardening tools. The Toffees link is about on the button and our nickname is just another thing that makes this club special. I mean look at the shite across the park... they?re nickname is ...wait for it... The Reds!!! I?m sure you?ll have lots of fun tracking down the origins of that one!!!
Tony Part
3   Posted 17/05/2008 at 19:59:42

Be good to see Ipswich back up. It's a good club and has a good brand of exciting and attacking football. I remember in 2001 when they finished fifth and they were a joy to watch and especially with Everton having a terrible season at that time, watching Ipswich was entertaining.
Gavin Ramejkis
4   Posted 17/05/2008 at 20:20:38

I agree Tony, I didn’t enjoy the spanking we got home and away from the Tractor Boys but they definitely entertained that season.
Keith Glazzard
5   Posted 17/05/2008 at 21:42:36

Nice to hear from you Gary.

Your club has a proud history, and you’re still going places.

Just like us. Enjoy.
Mark Cassin
6   Posted 18/05/2008 at 09:08:03

'I used to live in Ipswich and regularly attended games both home and away with the tractor boys....?

A bit odd but I also used to had a Dutch Uhlenbeek shirt.
Rob Jones
7   Posted 18/05/2008 at 15:50:41

Out of interest, what?s the origin of the nickname ?Tractor Boys', Gary?
Mike Allison
8   Posted 18/05/2008 at 21:59:55

I remember Ipswich beating us 0-3 at home that year. I still tell the story with pride that our fans knew enough about football to give the opposition a standing ovation as they left the pitch, having recognised a quality performance. Our fans are a class apart.
Michael Brien
9   Posted 19/05/2008 at 07:07:14

I can go back further than that: I recall back in 1980 (February I think), Ipswich won 4-0 at Goodison and we were lucky to get none!!

Mind you we did have the last laugh as we won 2-1at Goodison in the 5th round of the Cup a month later. During that season - in March 1980 I think - Ipswich beat Man Utd 6-0 at Portman Road - and missed two penalties - so it could have been worse for Utd who were I think top of the league at that time!!!The Ipswich manager at that time was Bobby Robson and he nearly became Everton manager twice ? in 1973 and in 1977.

Gary, I think you will find that a lot of Evertonians have a great respect for Ipswich ? your team has over many years (at least since the late 1960?s and the Bobby Robson era) had a well deserved reputation for playing attractive football. I hope that you get back to the Premier League very soon.

Steve Ashton
10   Posted 19/05/2008 at 13:14:56

I hate Ipswich.

Got hit on the head by a brick in 1986 I think FA Cup replay, then got bitten by a police dog whilst on the ground.

I hate Ipswich.