Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Uefa Cup Seedings Update

After this weekend, Everton will, at best, be seeded 7th in next season's Uefa Cup 1st round, but could fall as far as 16th - based on the latest figures from our favourite Uefa Cup Seedings site.

By the way, Metalist Kharkiv will definitely be unseeded ? anyone fancy another trip over there?
Steve Flanagan, Liverpool     Posted 19/05/2008 at 12:41:22

Comments

James Marshall
1   Posted 19/05/2008 at 16:39:57

Not really... wouldn't mind a little sojourn to Milan though!
Greg Murphy
2   Posted 19/05/2008 at 16:53:37

I think we can take it as read that we’re already at least 8th given AC Milan’s entry. Gotta hunch their co-efficient might be better than ours.

Can’t imagine we’re gonna get anyone of Kharkiv’s ability this year.

Bout time we got some Moravian farmers. We’re due an shoo-in draw.
Glenn Oliver
3   Posted 19/05/2008 at 20:00:23

No team thats in any Uefa Cup competition are push overs, look at Larissa last season beating Blackburn who we beat at Goodison 3-1. We just about got through against Metalist; I don't want to go through that tense game again.
Phil Guyers
4   Posted 19/05/2008 at 20:25:19

It seems that ’Bert’ who runs this fantastic site has chosen this week to go on his hols so I’ve been trying to work a few things out myself.

Greg is right that AC Milan will be ahead of us and now so will Ajax after their defeat in the play-off game. I reckon that the only other team that can get past us is Stuttgart who are in the Intertoto.

This means that we will be seeded 9th or 10th and will almost certainly be in the top pot for the group draw. Last season a team with our present coefficient would have been seeded 11th and subsequently been in the top pot.

However, I agree with Glenn that there are no pushovers and we’ll have to play well to make progress.
Mick Gallagher
5   Posted 19/05/2008 at 21:54:07

QUEEN OF THE SOUTH ? you heard it first on here.
Martin Wareham
6   Posted 20/05/2008 at 05:41:34

I?m a regular on Bert?s site and can hopefully explain a bit clearer to you. Among all the teams who have qualified for UEFA Cup we are currently seeded 10th. The full list of the top 16 is as follows:

AC Milan
Club Brugge
Rapid Bucharest
Besiktas *
Paris Saint Germain
Atletico Madrid
Sparta Prague

Stuttgart (and Besiktas) start in the qualification rounds of the UEFA Cup so there is a chance they could be knocked out early in which case Everton would move up 1 place.

However please note that the losers in the Champions League 3rd qualifying round will also be transferred to Uefa Cup R1. So if there are any upsets and a team with seeding higher that our 43.914 loses in CLQR3 then they will come into the Uefa Cup seeded above us and push us down a place.

In summary I think we will almost certainly bee seeded in Pot 2 for the Uefa Cup group stage (provided we win in R1). In order to reach Pot 1 we need 2 teams seeded above us to lose in UCR1 AND no teams seeded above to lose in CLQR3.
Lee Smith
7   Posted 20/05/2008 at 08:58:08

I just think it?s great that we have another season of talking about European ifs and buts! Only seems like yesterday I was trawling through Bert's site and working out my own seeding tables at the end of last season!
Peter Bourke
8   Posted 20/05/2008 at 11:15:26

I don?t know how it works but can anyone tell me how Tottenham Hotspurs are ranked higher than us????
Alex Spelling
9   Posted 20/05/2008 at 17:23:20

Peter, I think its because they played in the Uefa Cup and got to the 1/4 finals in 06-07 to add to their RO16 placing last year.