Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Rooney Deal

From what i remember Everton would receive £500k when Manchester United win the league — but not every time they won it, if we receive £500k each time they win it, does this mean if they win it for the next 10 years and Rooney is still there we will get £5m over the 10 years?

From what I remember we received £20m from 2 payments of £10m, and a further £1m for the following 3 years, then we would receive certain add ons such as a League win and Champions League win, but I thought all these add ons were on offs. Can someone please clear this up for me.

Terry

(North East Season Ticket holder, any other North East blues who want to share travel, please contact me on efctez1977@yahoo.co.uk)
Terry McCarthy, North East (Season ticket holder)     Posted 21/05/2008 at 22:42:44

Comments

Lyndon Lloyd
Terry, the terms of the sale and all its incumbent clauses remain active until August 2009 so next season is the last we can receive further payments from United connected to the Rooney transfer.
Steve Hogan
1   Posted 21/05/2008 at 15:36:39

Oh dear, Wayne. Well now we know... we just didn't UNDERSTAND the poor lad when he jumped ship to join United!!

''Everton will NEVER play in a Champion's League final.''

His latest comments will surely mean he welcomed back like the prodigal son when he next returns to Goodison. Just who is writing this twat's script? Does he honestly think no-one at Goodison has a brain?

Everybody knew that it was only a matter of time before he left for one of the 'Sky 4', it was what took place afterwards that makes people so so angry. OK, he has had some pretty bad things shouted at him, but the total lack of respect for his boyhood club since is shocking. Do you really think 'kissing the badge' in front of your once adoring crowd Wayne is the way to begin the healing process?

He really has got the brains of rocking horse shit.

David Williams
2   Posted 22/05/2008 at 00:41:49

Well on the evidence of tonight and the fact that the lad was substituted, in what must be the hollowest of victories, will we ever see Wayne play in a Champions League final?
John Price
3   Posted 22/05/2008 at 00:42:15

I went to school with with this twat and he really is a caveman. I?m not surprised by these stupid comments he keeps on making about the team his father supports. I hope he never gets a warm welcome by Everton fans because he doesn?t deserve it, not for the move but for being a flea-brained Mank. I would love us to achieve success so we can turn around to all the doubters and say "suck on this, bitch!".
Dan Parker
4   Posted 21/05/2008 at 22:35:39

Can't say I'm pleased Man United won the Champions League but I am pleased we got half a million quid. One of those clauses I thought we'd never see results from. That's a million from the final and half a million for the league isn't it?

And before anyone says it's Howard or Neville money, it's still half a million quid more collateral than we had 90 minutes ago!

Dan Parker
5   Posted 22/05/2008 at 02:32:20

I just think of Batistuta who was fiercely loyal to Fiorentina when he could have easily walked to better clubs for more money.

I know which player I’d rather have in my team.
John Smith
6   Posted 22/05/2008 at 02:57:21

Who really cares about Rooney (Judas) or Man U, they are lucky dogs.
Paul Kish
7   Posted 22/05/2008 at 03:01:39

I’m with you, John, who cares what he says? Let’s not get into this tired and inane discussion again.

He’s gone, has been for a while, we have some extra money..end of.

Next topic please...
Jimmy Rimmer
8   Posted 22/05/2008 at 03:05:37

Did Rooney play in tonight's game? There was some ugly twat running around up front for Man U, but he made no impact on the game whatsoever.

If that performance has been enough to earn us a few quid to go out and spend on a new squad of Russian Brazillians whilst doing nothing to raise Rooney?s profile, then it?s all good if you ask me!
Kev West
9   Posted 22/05/2008 at 06:06:29

The add ons are valid for the length of the first contract he signed for Man Utd, which is the end of next year? We got extra money for him signing a new contract and we got extra for them winning the league twice, getting to the CL final and winning the CL final. All-in-all we must be close to the £30m quid now.
Tony Part
10   Posted 22/05/2008 at 09:41:36

Rooney is grossly over-rated and is not world class as some pundits would love you to believe. To be honest I cannot see where he has improved that greatly as a player since he walked out of Goodison, still a narky bastard though.
Iain Sweeney
11   Posted 22/05/2008 at 09:58:44

Maybe completely wrong but I heard a rumour that future payments received for Rooney & Utd achievements were made null and void as part of our signing of Howard. Could be wide of the mark but remember hearing / reading it somewhere.
James Marshall
12   Posted 22/05/2008 at 10:23:58

Grow up lads, lets all act like big boys now eh? Rooney left a long time ago, and as someone said the other day, you stop being a fan once you get your first pay packet.

People move from club to club all the time, and everything Rooney has said about Utd/EFC is true - they are a bigger cllub than us, he does have more chance of winning things with them, they won the Champions League last night and he played the full 90 minutes on my TV (I think - sub in extra time no?)

We still earn money from the deal until end 2009 as someone up top has already said- theres no point being bitter about 1 transfer. I think it was Tony Marsh who said "we made him the player he is today" well if that were true why haven’t we made more players like him? HE made HIMSELF the player he is today through hard work and raw talent, it had bugger all to do with EFC.

You have to be more realistic and always look at the bigger picture - Everton have been far better off without him, have built a better team and made some money in the process.

The best team won last night, maybe not the best team on the night but they’re the best team in Europe and they deserved it, Rooney or no Rooney.
Lee Sutherland
13   Posted 22/05/2008 at 10:36:37

Couldn?t care less, we got a great fee for him and over the years since he?s gone Everton has moved on leaps and bounds and in Europe yet again ? who would have been able to say that not so long back when we sat there shitting ourselves, grateful for a draw against Coventry to guarantee survival.

Good luck to him but I for one are glad to be looking forward to an optimistic future rather than look back at ifs buts and maybes.
Franny Porter
14   Posted 22/05/2008 at 11:48:55

Can anyone give me a link to Shrek's comments?

I found I wasn't hating him as much recently, could do with refreshing my memory a bit.

By the way, did you see him lash his shirt last night when he got subbed? No class whatsover.
James Marshall
15   Posted 22/05/2008 at 12:03:27

I’ve done that when being subbed in a game before - I think its healthy and shows he was upset with his performance and wanted to play on.

Good luck to Wayne Rooney.
Franny Porter
16   Posted 22/05/2008 at 12:04:48

Sorry James,

didnt realise you were a Champions League veteran yourself.

Cant imagine you did that in a Sunday league game as you would look a tit.
Jay McGady
17   Posted 22/05/2008 at 12:15:34

So if the deal only counts till next season just exactly how much have we earned from his sale - the set fee down plus the add ons earned from the 2 premierships and a champions league win?
Michael Hunt
18   Posted 22/05/2008 at 12:16:22

Lyndon, I believe we are also entitled to 25% of the portion of any sell on fee that is above the total amount we?ve received to date e.g. If we?ve received £25 million to date and ManU sell him next month for £45 million we?d get an extra £5 million.
However, I doubt that if Man U sell him in future they would get much above £25 million (and possibly a lot less - unless he improves a lot e.g. 100% increase in goalscoring record.)

In short, he is not quite as good as he or we thought and so we got a good end of the deal all considered, not least coz his character leaves a lot to be desired. The title, ?Footballer, Gentleman, Evertonian? is something Wayne Rooney could never realistically aspire to.

James Marshall
19   Posted 22/05/2008 at 12:30:22

Saturday league Franny, but you’re right I probably did look a tit!
Stuart Atherton
20   Posted 22/05/2008 at 12:38:05

Rooney is undoubtedly a very good player. But that’s just it - he is ’only’ a very good player. When he left us the vast majority thought he was going to be one of the best in the world. The vast majority of us were gutted, me included.

However, he’s got what he wanted, and to a large extent so have we. We’ve got stability, a much better side than when he was here, and at the moment the potential to keep moving forward. We were in a total rut before he came and went. In reality we never really benefited on the pitch from his playing talents, save for a few brief moments of genius.

We’ll never know now what might have been, so for me it’s a case of ’what you never really had, you never really miss’. We’ve all moved on now, and Rooney is just a very good player in another team.
Ciaran Duff
21   Posted 22/05/2008 at 12:58:18

While I?m glad that we?ve earned an extra £1.5M from Rooney, I really question the ethics of these types of deals. Surely, there is the possibility of a conflict of interest somewhere along the line. Imagine what Chelski would have said if we happening to be playing the last game of the season against Manure instead of Wigan. Potentially, it could be in our interest to lose, financially. It would probably only be in our interest if we couldn?t move up or down a place but still as a matter of principle I don't think there should be any clauses between teams in the same competition.
Paul Thompson
22   Posted 22/05/2008 at 13:04:53

James Marshal.. thank you for the lecture but I AM a big boy, now, and have my own opinions of the Judas Manc git. (Does Collen/Coletta know about you and Wayne?)

I think Colin Harvey and one or two others would disagree with you about Rooney?s development. Other raw talents have been wasted in the past without proper care and guidance

As for the ?you stop being a fan once you get your first pay packet? Doesn?t seem to apply to other generations, e.g Kevin Ratcliffe, Mick Lyons, Brain Labone; even Alan Shearer et al. I agree, time moves on but that doesn?t mean you have to forget.

Dave Wilson
23   Posted 22/05/2008 at 13:13:23

Franny Porter + James Marshall

quality exchange Guys, Having a shit day so needed the laugh

nice one
James Marshall
24   Posted 22/05/2008 at 13:31:02

Paul - know about me and Wayne? If you’re talking about our mutual affection for each other, good looks, charm, wit and intelligence, then yes, she knows all about it - not only does she know about it but she encourages it; she says its nice that Wayne has some ’clevur’ friends that he can talk about life, love and the universe with.....it sure beats Nintendo Wii sessions with Rio & the gang......apparently.
Roy Coyne
25   Posted 22/05/2008 at 14:41:00

I hate Rooney like most blues purely for his attitude towards us, I know he gets stick off some fans, but I like a lot of others never boo or name-call him yet he never thanks us for all the support we gave him not only in the first team but also in the youth team when dreaming of him taking us to the promised land. By kissing the United badge when he scored most players who score against their old team do not celebrate out of respect ie "Cahill". I lost all respect for him that day. I bet his parents felt good too.
Andy Burke
26   Posted 22/05/2008 at 15:57:33

James Marshall.

Just ’cause you love him doesn?t mean everybody else does. I was gutted when Wayne left but I didn’t hold anything against him - that was then though. I now can’t stand little peanut brained arsewipe.

His behaviour and comments show what a classless tool he is. Nothing more than a brat who puts me in a bad mood every time I see his horrible little face. Period.

and don’t tell me to get over it. I wish him no harm but I don’t see why I should have to put up with the site of him. I am in a bad mood now and thats just the thought of him.

andy burke
27   Posted 22/05/2008 at 16:13:36

and I used site instead of sight.
Greg Murphy
28   Posted 22/05/2008 at 16:11:13

I agree, Terry, I think the current reports (even last week on the OS) that we "earned" another £500k from United winning the Prem this year are erroneous. I took it as read that all trophy-related bonuses were one-offs and therefore we claimed the £500k available for United winning the Prem within the five-year window in May 2007. Here’s the original (verbatim) Man United press release (below), by the reading of which I calculate that we’ve received (or certainly will have by this August) £26.75m (bearing in mind that Rooney claimed his 20th competitive cap for England whilst a United player - disregarding all his Everton caps - against Croatia at Wembley last November). The most I can see us getting from here on in is another £150k (i.e. if Utd win the FA Cup next season) because he can’t possibly earn another 20 competitive England caps between now and August 2009 when the add-on terms of the deal expire. Therefore the maximum pre-sale excess we can receive for Rooney - imo - is £26.9m.

---

MANCHESTER UNITED SIGNS WAYNE ROONEY

Manchester United PLC ("MU") confirms the completion of the transfer of the registration of Wayne Rooney from Everton Football Club. The player has signed a
six year contract until 30 June 2010.

The financial aspects of the transfer are as follows:
£m Reference to Notes
---- --------------------

Unconditional fee to Everton 20.00 1
5% Signing levy thereon 1.00
Fees to Proactive Sports Management Ltd 1.00 2
----------
22.00

Contingent payments to Everton 7.00 3
5% Signing levy on contingent payments 0.35
Contingent payments to Proactive Sports 0.50 2
Management Ltd
----------
Total potential acquisition cost £29.85m 4
----------

1. Payable £10m immediately and £10m on 1 August 2005.

2. Fees payable to Proactive Sports Management Limited in relation to both the acquisition of the player and negotiation of his personal terms. Of this sum, £1.0m is guaranteed, of which £0.5m is payable immediately and the balance over the following 5 years in equal instalments. The remaining £0.5m will be paid in 5 equal instalments over the duration of Rooney’s contract provided he remains registered to MU at the due dates for payment.

3. Contingent payments of up to £7.0m payable on the occurrence of the following events during the next 5 years:

MU - European Champions League - Winners - £1.0m
- Runners Up - £0.5m

- FAPL - Winners - £0.5m
- Runners Up - £0.25m

- FA Cup - Winners - £0.15m

Player signs an extension to his contract at MU - £1.5m

Player earns 20 England caps in competitive games whilst an MU player - £0.5m

Player earns a further 20 England caps in competitive
games whilst an MU player - £0.5m

Even if these events do not occur, Everton will receive £3.0m provided Rooney remains registered to MU until 30th June 2007. This sum will be payable in equal instalments of £1.0m on 1st August 2006, 2007 and 2008 if not already paid via the above incentives.

4. If the player is transferred from MU then Everton will receive 25% of any excess sum over all amounts paid under this agreement.
James Marshall
29   Posted 22/05/2008 at 16:41:51

Andy I dont love him, I simply dont even consider him as anything other then a Utd player like any other - when he plays for England I cheer him on but I certainly dont love him as you state.

He’s a brainless gimp for sure - I’m not stupid enough to think otherwise, my point is that harbouring dislike for him is childish and typical of football fans.

I prefer not to waste my energy hating people for reasons beyond my control is all mate.
Michael Hunt
30   Posted 22/05/2008 at 16:31:05

Good info there Greg, but the wording used is a little ambiguous I think i.e. it is unclear to me whether the extra 3 million ’guaranteed’ is in addition to the money paid for ManU winning CL, premier league, Rooney extending contract, getting 20 caps etc. The numbers do not seem to add up to 7 million?!
The Club’s (Everton) Report and Accounts mention an extra 7 million but does not break it down as to how calculated: (note 27 of the accounts) http://www.evertonfc.com/assets/downloads/agm/evertonfc-finalreport04.pdf
Clear as mud then.
Andrew Flanagan
31   Posted 22/05/2008 at 18:46:06

Is it just me or did anyone else interpret the Tim Howard deal as a replacement for the clauses. By which I mean they were discarded as part of the Howard deal. I might be wrong but I’m sure that there is some truth to it. Anyone?
Keith Glazzard
32   Posted 22/05/2008 at 18:30:43

"The Saviour of English Football", as some in the media called him when he played for us, hit one good pass last night and played like the pit-bull he resembles. Substituted, he spat his dummy out.

Not many amongst us would have turned down the many millions he was offered to move. His agent certainly didn’t. What really pisses me off, to echo what has already been said, is that no credit is given to Colin Harvey and co at EFC for nurturing this talent. He was more or less the finished product when bought.

As for sold - did the £20m make a big difference to our financial situation and future? I don’t know, but if it helped, with 20-20 hindsight, it now looks like a good move. Just keeping him here (with what contract?) would not have transformed us into champions. But I will agree with anyone who says that his sale must be the last - the line in the sand which says we are no longer a selling club.

ps - and speaking of ugly sods, did anyone else see Teves tugging his own shirt in the area on the blind side of the ref last night? He held it out like a sail. Why was he doing that?
Andy Burke
33   Posted 22/05/2008 at 19:05:31

James

I didn?t really think you loved him.

Point taken though.

Nice one for the figures Greg. I hadn?t realised that it has totalled that amount already.

Seems like we got a good deal the way he played in the Champs League Final.
Jack Williams
34   Posted 22/05/2008 at 22:17:52

There’s no doubt whatsoever that Rooney is a good player but I don’t believe Rooney has ever lived up to the world beater he was going to be. He’s not a goalscorer, he’s injured a lot, he loses his temper. Call it youth, but he’s been playing premiership football for about five years now and he still hasn’t proved those side’s to his game. He is a midfielder and not a forward and in big games and most games actually he tends to drift away from things and not get involved at all unless United our in demolition mode.

I firmly believe that the money we got, the players we got and how much our finances and our overall performance has improved since he has gone, the deal was a fantastic one and if I knew that when he signed for united that summer on this day we would be talking about him winning the champions league, I would have accepted it because our team has improved a lot since he left.
Mike Whittaker
35   Posted 22/05/2008 at 22:40:43

The fact we are still talking about him 3 years on and him talking about Everton -says it all really. Like an old girlfriend that ended messily, deep deep down there’s still a mutual affection between Everton (supporters etc) and Rooney.
As I see it, he would love to win the Premiership and Champions League with Everton but he knew and we all know, it aint gonna happen in his playing career. Plus also Everton needed his transfer fee. All in all, its worked out well for both parties - Rooneys got the stage his talents deserved and we have built a better team because of it. We feel betrayed and he probably feels the club betrayed him in certain aspects surrounding that summer. But hey thats life and we all live to fight another day.
Ed Fitzgerald
36   Posted 22/05/2008 at 22:50:51

James

Your lack of regard for people who worked with Rooney as a kid at Everton is incredible. Yes he had raw talent, but raw talent nutured by EFC and in particular people like Colin Harvey and Ray Hall.

James don’t you dislike any footballers including the opposition? He has a lack of respect yes because he is a brainless fuckwit, but I dislike brainless fuckwits with no respect, don’t you?
James Marshall
37   Posted 23/05/2008 at 00:18:10

Fair enough Ed - though the hard work put in by EFC staff when he was young has been paid back to the tune of about 25 million quid!

Most footballers are brainless fuckwits - not exactly setting the world alight with anything other than their feet; stick to what you’re good at and be judged on it in my opinion.
Ed Fitzgerald
38   Posted 23/05/2008 at 00:34:20

James

People don’t have to be a genius sporting or otherwise to have respect and behave in an appropriate manner do they?

Ciaran Duff
39   Posted 22/05/2008 at 23:54:17

Terry/Greg,

I?m confused. The OS clearly states that we earned another £1.5M from MUFCs success this year. Therefore these payments are ongoing (til next year I believe).

Are you saying that this isn?t correct? I can?t see why they would publicly state that if it wasn?t true - MUFC and Rooney & Co. would be all over them and it would have to appear in both the EFC & MUFC end of year accounts anyway.
Peter Bradshaw
40   Posted 23/05/2008 at 02:42:28

Wow that was a long thread over an amount of money that has probably gone towards interest payments on our debt.
All in all I would to see the headlines that Rooney has returned home, would love to see him working alond side the Yak, will balls been thread through from Lionel Messi and Kaka...............I think I need my medication again starting to sound like a spurs fan in the rumour room on team talk
Paul Thompson
41   Posted 23/05/2008 at 13:30:32

I was saddened by some of the undercurrents in this thread. It shows how money-driven we’re all becoming and what a good job EFC and the local red media have done in dumming-down our expectations of this once great club.
You’ve got one fan dismissing the coaching staff’s care of Rooney over 9+ years with ’we got our money back’ bollocks and another accepting that we won’t win the PL in the next 15 years. Nil Satis my arse!
Tim Button
42   Posted 23/05/2008 at 11:43:21

There has been much discussion, in light of Manchester United?s Champions League success, over the exact terms of Wayne Rooney?s transfer and the potential bonuses due to us under the terms of the deal.

My reading of the agreement is that all clauses apply for five years and Everton will be rewarded for United?s achievements during that period, including repeat payments, if they win any of the trophies in question multiple times. If this is indeed the case as already suggested last week on the official site Everton have already been rewarded three times for United?s Premiership performance. £500k for each of their victories in the last two seasons and an additional £250k for finishing runners-up in 2006.

With this in mind the total transfer fee now exceeds the £27M originally reported in most media outlets and could increase further depending on United?s record next season, the last under the terms of the Rooney deal.

If my calculations are correct, Everton have now taken in the two £10M lump sums payable immediately and in August 2005 plus an additional £3M supplied in installments over the next three years of Rooney?s contract. This has been swelled further by another £1.5M following the extension of this contract bringing the total up to £24.5M.

This of course has been topped up by a number of performance related payments. As previously mentioned £1.25M has been generated through the Premiership and £1M thanks to their Champions League success. Rooney has also claimed his 20th competitive cap triggering a further clause worth an additional £500k to Everton although he is now unlikely to achieve the 40 caps that would have repeated that payment.

So the total banked by Everton Football Club should now stand at £27.25M with the possibility of more next year and 25% of any profit Manchester United might generate from his future sale.