Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Back Up Goalkeeper

Today's Echo suggests that Everton have made contact with Maik Taylor's advisers about a possible move to us to be Tim Howard's understudy. Although I believe that he would be a good back up to Howard, does this mean that Moyes has no faith in Iain Turner or John Ruddy? The report states that Moyes wants an expericed back up for Tim Howard, while Turner and Ruddy are still learning their trade. But with Turner now being 24 and Ruddy being younger at 21, you would expect them to be ready now, in particular Turner. Joe Hart and even Kasper Schmichel have both shown that you do not need much experience to be a good goalkeeper.
John Murphy, Liverpool     Posted 22/05/2008 at 18:13:57

Comments

Adolf Ng
1   Posted 23/05/2008 at 04:13:01

It seems that Moyes had lost faith in inexperienced young goalies after so many serious blunders from Turner in the last few seasons. But, to be frank, who can blame him for that??
John Charles
2   Posted 23/05/2008 at 04:40:10

Or perhaps he is a good manager who thinks a 24-year-old goalkeeper will improve more playing on loan in the Championship rather than sitting on a bench???

Just a thought...
Martin Cutler
3   Posted 23/05/2008 at 05:48:28

Or, mebbe Moyes thinks we?ll be pushing for a trophy or two next season and wants an experienced, ready-to-go goalie as a reliable back-up to Tim..........makes perfect sense to me...the two young?uns will have their time and better for them to be loaned out and play and not just sat on the bench.
Another smart move by Moyes.

Although to be fair I?d be surprised if Taylor was to make the switch to us. (Only because he?d want to be playing regular too.)
Ste Boileau
4   Posted 23/05/2008 at 08:56:07

In my humble opinion I think Moyes wastes too much time looking at goalkeepers, its like he’s addicted to them. Howard is hardly ever injured, so whats the point of having somebody on a high salary on the bench. Put one of the kids on the bench thats what most other teams do, although at 24, Turner is hardly a kid. If Moyes doesnt fancy him, get rid and elevate Ruddy. If he doesnt rate him, get rid.
I wish he’d focus on players we actually need ala 4 midfielders, unless Taylor can play the holding role
Dave Flinton
5   Posted 23/05/2008 at 09:00:05

I've always like Maik, hes a decent enough goalie to be back up for us for a season. I believe that both Ruddy and Turner will be loaned out for the season. Both Stockport and Sheff Wed respectively are interested in that happening again.
Colin Smith
6   Posted 23/05/2008 at 09:23:16

Ste, I know its the silly season, but how do we know that Moyes wastes too much time thinking about goalkeepers? We have had a couple of newspaper stories & not much else. Maybe Moyes has decided Ruddy & Turner are not up to it, who knows - if this is the case then Taylor would be a decent call as cover, providing he wants to come. Moving on to another transfer theme,Jo & Arshavin, I find it very hard to believe that even City?s Mr Money Bags chairman would blow circa #30m on 2 players that his new manager might not even want. I think Arshavin would be a great buy for Everton, but I think we will have to wait and see if Moyes sees him has part of his long term plan.
Franny Porter
7   Posted 23/05/2008 at 09:31:47

I for one am ecstatic that were goin for the veteran goalie!

I didnt want Jo, Arshavin OR Riquelme.

So there.
Mike Cleave
8   Posted 23/05/2008 at 10:08:25

I have a feeling that if Stockport get promoted, John Ruddy will move to them permenently. I have got a lot of feedback from Stockport friends, who are more than happy with him, and if he was to become available, they would bite off our hands!

As people have said, Tim Howard is very rarely injured, so having someone of Maik Taylor's calibre on the bench would be great, even though he is getting on. I expect we would sign him on a free, so it wouldn?t cost the club any money.

Darrel Pugh
9   Posted 23/05/2008 at 10:46:11

Jesus can Moyes do anything without a barrage of abuse? You would think he had just spent £80m last season and got us relegated. We need an experienced back up and thats it.
Tony Williams
10   Posted 23/05/2008 at 11:30:25

Ste so you don?t believe searching for an experienced goalie to back up Howard is important?

I for one remember the horrible feeling in my stomach when Martyn started feeling at his ankle or calf knowing the only goalie waiting to come on was Teflon Dickie.

James Blunt played about 8 games last season and I don?t think we had one where he didn?t concede and I can?t remember too many of them being victories.

A very good back up goalie is paramount along with the midfield. All it takes is one Cech moment and our season could be screwed before it is started.
Patty Beesley
11   Posted 23/05/2008 at 11:33:14

Everyone is assuming that because the Echo says so David Moyes is looking at Maik - when David Moyes tells me I will believe it not the media!
Jimmy Millican
12   Posted 23/05/2008 at 13:01:38

To me it makes sense to be linked to someone like Taylor but I doubt he will want to come to sit on the bench.

It makes sense because we have two young keepers, one (Ruddy) who isn't ready yet and needs more time and one (Turner) who I think is ready but is becoming injury-prone.
James Marshall
13   Posted 23/05/2008 at 14:02:32

You have to have a decent back-up keeper ,and a young un aint gonna cut it. Maik Taylor would be an excellent choice.
Ron Leith
14   Posted 23/05/2008 at 21:51:16

Kasey Keller is the man. Fulham have singed Swartzy so its logical. Or Anti Niemi or we could go for Kasper Smiechel or maybe Foster on loan. I can?t see Maik Taylor leaving Brum to be a sub.