Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Hammered

The frenzy of transfer speculation seems to increase with each passing day. I enjoy it, but agree with those who don't get too excited until I see the picture of the player holding aloft the scarf at Goodison, or pretending to sign his contract in some dodgy looking Portakabin (although presumably the latter will now be in palatial offices at our new training facility).

However, I am often as interested in the strategies seemingly employed by other clubs. You will no doubt remember last time West Ham really splashed the cash a few seasons ago? At that time it seemed like everytime we went for a player we we gazumped by them. Newcastle did the same (Emre, Parker, Smith).

Now it would seem City are to do the same, beating us to the signatures of Arshavin and Jo. The most likely answer is of course that we are all after the same players because the pool of real affordable (in the loosest sense) talent is pretty small. However it could be argued that (aka Chelsea's past strategies) it is as much about stopping Everton getting them as it is about team building at City. Paranoid? Probably, but anyone with Shinawatra's track record (in football and elsewhere) is capable of anything in my book.

I console myself with the subsequent lack of success both West Ham, Newcastle and the players involved have since experienced and can only hope the same happens at City; certainly history is on my side!
Steve Guy, Harrogate     Posted 23/05/2008 at 11:45:07

Comments

Mike Coates
1   Posted 23/05/2008 at 14:07:46

Rumours are rumours but if City beat us to the punch on players I for one won’t be happy :(

Least seal a deal with Fernandes whilst we know we can.. Loan deal him already for a third season and be done with that!
Dan McKie
2   Posted 23/05/2008 at 14:11:03

Problem with Fernandes is that Valencia have got a new manager who only took the job once he was assured that there would not be a mass exodus of players! Manny may well have a future at Valencia, cant see a new coach just dismissing him!
James Marshall
3   Posted 23/05/2008 at 14:11:36

It sounds as though Jo has decided he wants to play for City not us, so its not really a case of being beaten to the punch. If a player chooses one club over another then the club can’t be blamed for that - if Jo does choose City then more fool him I reckon.
Mark Murphy
4   Posted 23/05/2008 at 14:07:41

"I enjoy it, but agree with those who don?t get too excited until I see the picture of the player holding aloft the scarf at Goodison",
and
"Now it would seem City are to do the same, beating us to the signatures of Arshavin and Jo."

Using your reasoning from the first sentence why are you assuming that the second is a given?
Its 90% newspaper speculation and there are always u turns & deviations in transfers at the last minute - remember Sissoko??

These two guys are travelling from Russia to possibly join a new club. Its quite feasible that they will talk to more than one club during that time rather than jet back and forth for every possible new employer isnt it?

I?ve given up forecasting who we will get and prefer not to build my hopes up over names that I generally know little about. I?m confident that our squad for next season will be improved but I?ll leave the signings to the bloke who seems to have it sussed and earns a living from managing the 5th best team in England.

Dan Mckie
5   Posted 23/05/2008 at 14:15:00

It also speculates that Man City are selling Dunne and Ireland to fund the Arshavin deal yet they are supposed to be moneybags! Just shows that ya never know what to believe!
Nick Entwistle
6   Posted 23/05/2008 at 14:15:22

Where as Newcastle appealed to the bank accounts of Parker etc why do we see City as poaching our targets? New stadium, in Europe, Sven, good wages... sweet. But yes, its the wrong blue... but its not like we’ve been in talks with the Ars.
James Marshall
7   Posted 23/05/2008 at 14:21:25

Its hardly poaching Nick, its an open market and anyone is able to bid for players - just because we were linked with him by the papers before City doesn’t give us ’first dibs’ on him.
Danny Militwitch
8   Posted 23/05/2008 at 14:08:28

Any player who decides to choose an unstable and at best middle of the road team rather than a team with momentum and strong team spirit is not fit to wear the Everton shirt. As we have seen in the past, i remember when players like Schwarzer picked M’Boro over us, and even Scott Parker snubbed us for the Hammers. These players inevitably end up with limited success to show for their poor decisions, often playing in front of impassive ’support’.
If Arshavin and Jo’ regard the cash first and success is secondary to them, then they should pick Man City. If they want adulation from real supporters and to be a part of something special, then they should come to Everton.

There are always options for both sides, I wont lose sleep if the players make their choice to go to city. I will pity them because I think that they are throwing their promising careers down the pan.

Everton need to do what Everton do, like it or loath it we will be linked to every man and his dog this summer, we will drag our feet, haggle and build in all sorts of ridiculous clauses, but ultimately we add quality bit by bit.

Steve Williams
9   Posted 23/05/2008 at 14:28:16

Danny,

"If Arshavin and Jo? regard the cash first and success is secondary to them, then they should pick Man City. If they want adulation from real supporters and to be a part of something special, then they should come to Everton."

Let’s work in the real world. Football for you and me is a passion, for the players its a job. They have interest in, first and foremost, cash. Do not fall into the trap that anyone wants to play for any particular club per se, but instead they might fancy a particular club ONLY AFTER the wages are right.

Point is, as long as they are paid what was agreed, most players could give a toss about whether the club is stable.

Firstly, we need to compete with wages being offered. Once that’s done, I would hope that the other matters such as history, great support, stability, Europe 3 years out of 4 etc will sway the decision.
Andy Ellams
10   Posted 23/05/2008 at 14:36:24

Danny, youe comment about adulation from real supporters, they come much more real than Man City. They are a proper club with proper fans. They can have Jo, I?m not sure he?s what we need, but Moyes has to go all out to secure Arshavin.
Shaun Nesbitt
11   Posted 23/05/2008 at 15:02:52

The Liverpool Echo states that Everton don’t have any imminent transfer plans. I think most clubs will wait till after the euro finals.
Chris Briddon
12   Posted 23/05/2008 at 15:08:43

This of course believing the transfer speculation that we were ever interested in the first place.

The only claim that we ever wanted to buy any player and missed out is via newspapers. There is no evidence that we ever wanted to buy Smith, Emre, or many other palyer who have moved elsewhere
Dan Mckie
13   Posted 23/05/2008 at 15:13:35

Good point Chris, and who remembers any stories in the papers about us going for Yakubu? There wasnt one until the deal was done and dusted! (barring the whole work permit saga that followed)
Danny Militwitch
14   Posted 23/05/2008 at 15:25:56

Steve Williams,

Take your points on board mate, but dont agree with them. I am from the real world, and I have actually attempted to practice what I preach in my own career. I have worked for a company for a number of years, I am actually as high as I can go in the organisation (without becoming a director), and two years ago I was willing to take a pay cut to join a company with huge potential, because my career would be furthered. I felt that with my ability, experience and application, I could have helped the prospective new employer realise its potential.

Unfortuantely my application failed, but the principle and parrallels are there.

If Arshavin and Jo choose City, they are taking a sideways step in my opinion. If they Join us they are moving up, maybe not on as much as they would have been, but they would certainly be part of something a lot more exciting and could be the difference into turning the side they join from a Uefa Cup team to a Champions League team.

I am biased of course, but we are surely a much more attractive proposition.
Marc Williams
15   Posted 23/05/2008 at 15:53:06

I really don?t see how Ars? & Jo are seen as potentially choosing City over Everton. From what I?ve read / heard only City have made bids so they are not in a position to choose Everton but only City.
Moyes hasn?t signed yet; until he does our long term managerial position is no clearer than City?s. Also he is either on / or imminently going on Holiday so we are not in a position to sort this or to do transfer business any time soon. If city have come in for them then they will probably get them as at present we do not appear to be seriously in for them.
Billy Bullwacky
16   Posted 23/05/2008 at 16:30:29

Man City to fund moves for Jo and Arshavin with the £10 million tansfer of Joe Hart to Spurs.
Steve Ashton
17   Posted 23/05/2008 at 17:47:13

In view of the scorn I have heaped upon other people posting similar items, the following is posted with a good deal of trepidation. However, it is genuine and I post it to add to the discussion. Readers can make of it what they will.

Four weeks ago I attended a business dinner at a nice London Hotel; I sat next to a young lady who came from Russia and as we made small talk she asked me what my interests were and I said that my leisure time was mainly wrapped up in watching football. (I didn?t mention EFC thinking she would not have heard of them.) She raised her eyes and said that she hated football but that one of her best friends from school played professional football for her home town club Zenit. I asked who it was and she replied Andrey Sergeievich. I said I had never heard of him and she said I might know him better as Arshavin ? she went on to say that three English teams had been offering him lots of money to play in England.

She said he wasn?t going to leave Zenit because they had just won the Russian Championship for the first time since 1983 and he wanted to play for the team he had supported all his life in the Champions League, so unless Zenit wanted to sell him he was going to leave in 2009.

I asked which English teams had made him offers but she said she didn?t know only that they were not teams playing in the Champions League, which was another reason for him not moving.

As I said make of it what you will.
Karl Masters
18   Posted 23/05/2008 at 18:32:18

Jesus!!

It?s only 12 days since we last played!!

Moyesie will be looking, and may bring in somebody, but with the European Championships expect most business to be done after June.

In the meantime, relax a bit enjoy the Summer, be glad we came 5th and have the UEFA Cup to look forward to and trust in the Moyesiah.

If you want to worry about something, worry about Kirkby, but we won?t go there just yet. As we are due ?the first spade in the ground in June.? (Wyness, Radio Five live 23/1/08) ? that?s a subject that will unfold in its own good time! :)
Neville Bartos
19   Posted 23/05/2008 at 18:50:55

Wyness must be waiting until Tom Hicks finishes with the shovel, I think the yank said something similiar.

You would think with the cash they have they would pop down to Taskers for one.
Karlos Gilboy
20   Posted 23/05/2008 at 19:54:50

Truth, Moyes is on holiday at the momenet, we have £25mil to spend, other funds may come in from selling one or two players. And as regards transfers the midfielder from Marselle, M'Basa, will be at Goodison next year. That's all for now folks!
Steve Williams
21   Posted 23/05/2008 at 21:32:02

Danny,

I am glad that we have as level headed and ambitious a fan as you. I really do admire you. However we aren’t talking about you or me here, we are talking about footballers. They are without doubt the most selfish, money grabbing shower around. If, and only if, the money is right will then consider joining a club.

Money first everything else after, I’m afraid. Therefore in order to secure the targets, that no doubt others will be after, we will have to match the wages.
Eric Myles
22   Posted 24/05/2008 at 07:00:01

"I’ll leave the signings to the bloke who seems to have it sussed and earns a living from managing the 5th best team in England."

I feel I must point out that if Mr. Murphy is referring to David Moyes he happens to manage the BEST team in England, that just happened to finish 5th.
Adam Doyle
23   Posted 24/05/2008 at 13:19:19

I enjoy all the transfer gossip and whatnot, always remembering that the newspapers make educated guesses about who wants who, who wants to go where. In reality, most transfers the media don’t pick up on until a few days before they’re completed.

The only player I care about signing out of all the dozens of ones we’ve been linked with is Arshavin. I think his skill and passing ability could Feed The Yak at least once a match! And we all know what happens when you feed The Yak