Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Cool yer jets!

The Liverpool Echo states that Everton don?t have any imminent transfer plans. I think most clubs will wait till after the Euro finals...
Shaun Nesbitt, Liverpool     Posted 23/05/2008 at 15:17:29

Comments

James Marshall
1   Posted 23/05/2008 at 15:22:40

Surely this is just media speculation?

Don’t believe everything you read Shaun - this kind of thing could easily spiral our of control.
Danny Mullally
2   Posted 23/05/2008 at 15:21:20

Its just the way the Journo has written it.
" Though Everton continue to be linked with a myriad of transfer targets-the latest of which is Galatasary’s Arda Turan-the club are not expecting to do any iminent transsfer business.
That however, does not mean Moyes is not exploring a number of avenues and the manager has no intentions of letting all the good recent work go to waste."

Dominic King Liverpool Echo

Hardly means we aint gonna sign anyone.
Shaun Nesbitt
3   Posted 23/05/2008 at 15:24:11

The point of the article was don?t expect Everton to be buying the likes of Arshavin anytime soon. The Echo?s normally accurate with its info. Remember last year we didn?t make our 1st signing till the end of June. Jags anyone??
Darren Gough
4   Posted 23/05/2008 at 15:25:54

What exactly is the issue? As long as we get some new players in at some point over the summer for the right money and we?re pleased with them, I don?t get why this is even a story!

Anyways. define "imminent"... is that tomorrow, next week, next month?
Dan Mckie
5   Posted 23/05/2008 at 15:23:50

I can understand clubs not spending all their cash until they have had a look at the Euro’s, but you aint gonna find out much more about the likes of Arshavin and if he has a cracking tournament then £12 mill will suddenly become £18 mil and Man City approaching will become Real Madrid approaching! Their are one or two deals that if we are interested, would be best done befor the finals!
Mike O'Neill
6   Posted 23/05/2008 at 15:29:53

I agree with you, Dan, that the Euros will only add euros to the price of any player who has a half-decent tournament, so it would be great to get some business done before they start (Arshavin is one obvious name).. however, the potential selling clubs aren?t stupid, either, so they?ll want to drag their heels for as long as possible in the hope of more bucks (and agents ditto), so much as I would love to see Arshavin (and a few others) in a blue shirt on the back page of the Echo sometime soon, I?m not holding my breath.
Shaun Nesbitt
7   Posted 23/05/2008 at 15:36:26

The transfer window gets more ridiculous by the minute. Here’s a comment taken by some guy on the BBC 606 site. Hope this gets your pulse racing!!!

I don’t want to sound like one of those know it alls but this is straight from the horses mouth so to speak.. I met Bill Kenwright yesterday with work and had a chat with him about all things Everton. He told me that Moyes outlined to him who he wanted and would go as far as saying that two names are very ambitious.. All he would say is that one is Brazilian and is not Jo... After trying my best to get some information from him I think he was getting annoyed with me so I gave up...He did say that the funds are available and that he along with Earl would be supporting any targets and that if he gets who he wants to expect a new look midfield...
Jay Wilson
8   Posted 23/05/2008 at 15:46:39

The transfer window doesn’t open till 1st July!
Jack Harte
9   Posted 23/05/2008 at 15:38:20

Arshavin unlike many of the much talked up targets is suspended for the first two games of Euro 2008. He will miss the opener against Spain and the crunch tie with Greece while he may return for the final tie with Sweden. The Russians as evidenced by their final group game defeat to Israel and England?s shocking failure to qualify through McClaren?s mismanagement are unlikely to make a big impact this summer. Arshavin has been repeatedly scouted by Everton and his increased value is down to the excellent Uefa Cup Final performance. Arshavin is unlikely to have the window of opportunity to show his undoubted class in Austria and Switzerland and consequently his value is unlikely to increase.
Dan Parker
10   Posted 23/05/2008 at 15:54:31

I would get the transfers of the big name players before the Euro’s. Remember how much the Euro championships inflated Rooneys value.
Michael Hunt
11   Posted 23/05/2008 at 15:50:50

Shaun, That info is fucking dynamite mate. A BBC site is obviously high quality and would not be bullshit or suchlike. The guy even works with BK, so BK would not embellish any truisms surely!
Nah, you?ve gotta say it is pure drivel designed to tantilise us poor downtrodden Toffeemen only to be thwarted once more when it all comes to bugger all. Why do they call it the silly season I wonder?
Steve Callaghan
12   Posted 23/05/2008 at 16:09:42

Everton will not, and should not, sign any player who is involved in the Euros until AFTER the tournament. Ok, get a pre-contract in place but make sure the medical is AFTER the final ? knowing our luck, we sign a player who will pick up an injury and be out for the next six months...so - be patient - it is a long, long summer.
Keith Glazzard
13   Posted 23/05/2008 at 16:02:08

Another thread has gone over the events ( or non-events) in previous years. I think Sourness was in charge at NUFK when they saved money on scouting and just gazumped any player Moyes wanted to sign (it would be nice to think that?s how they got Barton, but Davey would never tell a lie to put them on his trail).

DM had to learn from this and that?s one of the reasons that we don?t know what's going on. I?d still bet that perhaps two high profile deals are close to the dotted line. Agents and other scum who have an interest in going public to wreck progress would be the only way we would know.

I don?t want to be a spolilsport (and it will make no difference anyway), but if we?re discussing a name, it probably isn?t going to happen.
Marc Williams
14   Posted 23/05/2008 at 16:15:19

The only reason I?m concerned about a lack of activity this early on is because our midfield is so threadbare, we need numbers & because to continue with our progress / momentem we need at least 2 real qualiy players. I really don?t want us to be in the position of buying any old crap in a last minuite panic.

Since Moyes joined we?ve been on a mainly upward path (yes, I?m a Moyes admirer but do see his faults) but we have had two backward seasons. We?ve all seen David grow into the job & watched him learn & develop by what?s failed as much as by what?s worked. One of the lesson?s he?s publically acknowledged is that when you get numbers in late after pre-season?s started (apart from the odd loan deal) we have struggled. This is a key season for us and we need to act on what the manager has already learned and get our key targets nailed early on.

Stuart Mitchell
15   Posted 23/05/2008 at 16:53:16

Can I remind you of this statement from Wyness:

The summer transfer window opens on 1 July and Wyness has stressed that the club will continue to back David Moyes.

"Since I?ve been here we?ve broken the transfer record three times.

"We know that we?ve got something here that is good and is moving forward. We are not going to let that slip away."

Wyness added that he would like to conduct any transfer business swiftly.

"We would always like to get players in before pre-season, to give them a chance to gel and meet their team-mates," he said.

"That?s always the target, but it doesn?t always work out like that, so you do your best and I?m afraid things often change on a minute-by-minute basis in the summer."

Stuart Mitchell
16   Posted 23/05/2008 at 17:00:29

So I assume we will look to tie up deals as soon as possible
James Marshall
17   Posted 23/05/2008 at 17:13:23

How soon is now?
Alan Clarke
18   Posted 23/05/2008 at 19:14:03

I wouldn’t be surprised if us being linked with this Jo fella was to try and inflate his price with Man City. Isn’t he part owned by the same people who own Fernandes? It’s the same senario as when we "bid" for that Lucio character at Porto last summer - you scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours i.e. inflate this guy Jo’s price for us and we’ll let you have Fernandes on loan for another season. Except this Jorabchim fella totally screwed us in the end didn’t he?
Jay Harris
19   Posted 23/05/2008 at 19:22:55

Stuart
I wouldn't pay any attention to any statement by Wyness.

Let?s just wait and see what happens.

I do feel however that it would be useful to get some players in early to get them bedded in.
Lee Spargo
20   Posted 23/05/2008 at 20:11:04

There?s no point in signing a player until after the Euros because;
1 - They may get injured
2 - They?re unlikely to want to discuss terms whilst preparing for and competing in a major tournament.

Bob Boston
21   Posted 23/05/2008 at 20:58:18

I?d love to see an immediate flow of new quality players, but at this point I believe David Moyes and his staff have shown they can sign the right playes at the proper price.

I?ll wait, but I?m anxious.
Gavin Ramejkis
22   Posted 23/05/2008 at 21:29:59

I’d prefer to see players bedded in early but am not panicking at all, yes there are some interesting stories out there but that’s all they are. Let’s wait and see and hope that DM does have money to spend and we get a replacement for Carsley which is now scaring me more than anything as I dread seeing Phil Neville as Moyes’s choice as his natural replacement. The other thing to remember is that just as Adebayor didn’t go to the African Nations Cup as his nation didn’t qualify then surely there must be other players that for one reason or another won’t be in the Euro’s (besides the Engerland ones). As hard as it is with the footie season over and nothing to look forward to for months I’m trying hard to be patient on new players.
James Marshall
23   Posted 24/05/2008 at 10:03:28

Arshavin is suspended for Russia’s first 2 games and Jo is Brazilian - last time I looked Brazil wasn’t attached to Europe in any way.
Alan Kirwin
24   Posted 24/05/2008 at 12:35:12

The sudden quiet after DM/BK talks last week is a little deafening. I?m curious.

Firstly, the transfer window is not closed until 1 July as some seem to think. Most players? contracts run till June 30, that?s all. Chelsea have just signed a new right back and other clubs are in the midst of business.

To those who suggest not signing a player until after the Euros; with all due respect, what utter bollocks. You may as well say don?t sign a player ever because he may get injured on his debut for us.

We should strike while the iron is hot and sign NOW. The risk of waiting until the Euros is that we get into a bidding war that we?ll lose. It?s kind of obvious really.

But back to the main point which is why it?s all gone quiet at the top. Perhaps DM is on holiday? I don't know. What I do know is that we can steal a march on everyone, and give the fans AND the squad a boost by trying to get the business done ASAP.

Who? For me, in order of desire:
1. Arshavin (Beardsley on steroids).
2. Fernandes.
3. Steven Appiah (or another big strong driving midfielder).
4. Jo / Ebanks-Blake (EB is a cracking young player).
5. Aaron Ramsey
6. Get James Vaughan fit.

Then, sell AJ to West Ham/Newcastle/?

Next seasons objective is to KEEP the ball much much more (emphasis on midfield), and to really stamp on teams when we?re in control (emphasis on goal/attempt ratio, i.e. sell AJ). Our defence is, on the whole, excellent.

So I await activity with interest. One thing's for sure, after raising expectations the way they have, if we end up missing the boat on our key targets then there will be some very pissed off bluenoses around.

A long hot summer to everyone.
Vasco Teixeira
25   Posted 23/05/2008 at 23:12:49

I've heard today that Geromel, from my club in Portugal, Vitória Guimarães, is being linked with Bolton and Newcastle. He's an awesome player. 22 years old, Brasilian, but will get Italian passport as his grandfather was italian. He plays as central defender. The best I've watched for years. A great future ahead.

If Moyes does read this site, please take a look at him. If he goes to England I'd rather see him in our Royal Blue Jersey. And not very expensive: ?5M.

Trevor Thompson
26   Posted 25/05/2008 at 10:46:34

From what I have seen of him, on Youtube, he looks like a very good striker; but I'm a bit apprehensive about buying, if the rumours we are after him are true. The reason being is his height. We've started to play a bit this season and I'm worried his signing could throw that all out the window as the likes of Hibbert, Neville and possibly our back four will look to launch the ball to him in the hope something will happen from it. To be fair, if he is used as a foil for Yakubu or to mix our game up a bit then I'm all for it. I'm just weary that our players will rely on him too much. Anyway, it is just a rumour so will have to wait and see.