Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Do we really want Jo or Arshavin?

In a frenzy of newspaper activity bored journalists with no matches to write about have linked us to £18 million pound striker Jo and then write he?s about stolen form us by Man City.

I?m slightly cynical about this. We don?t have a bottomless pit of money to spend this summer. A striker is not our top priority by any means ? in fact we have four decent forwards for a team that often plays only one up front. Therefore spending all of our transfer budget on a player who plays in a position we already have filled would be mad.

Our top targets this summer are a holding midfielder to replace Carsley, a box-to-box player to compliment Arteta, Pienaar etc. and possibly a new right back. Given neither Jo, or for that matter Arshavin, play in any of these positions I won?t be too upset if Man City do ?steal? them from us. And even this seems media hype because City are about to sack their manager and so are they really going to spend almost £30 million on players the new coach might not want?

Moyes did go to watch CSKA but I think it was much more likely he was looking at Dudu than Jo.
Richard Watts, London, UK     Posted 23/05/2008 at 16:47:26

Comments

Lyndon Lloyd
I'm with you on Jo, Richard ? I don't think we should be spending £18m on anyone ? but for me a player in the Arshavin mold is equally as important as finding a replacement for Carsley and a new right back.

What we currently lack is a goalscoring midfielder with pace to frighten opposition defences... indeed, we've been missing that kind of threat since the last Andrei to grace the Goodison turf. It's a pity that Arshavin seems to now be beyond our budget in terms of transfer fee and wages because he looks like he fits the bill.

Stefan Tosev
1   Posted 23/05/2008 at 19:22:35

For me signing Arshavin will be statement of intent, I reckon midfield enforcements will be our main target this season and God, we need some pace and eye for a defence splitting pass in the middle of the park.

As for right back forget it - we have Pip and Hibo and are more than well covered with Jag being able to fit there as well
Steve Ashton
2   Posted 23/05/2008 at 19:29:14

I posted this on another thread... would seem to fit better here.

In view of the scorn I have heaped upon other people posting similar items the following is posted with a good deal of trepidation. However it is genuine and I post it to add to the discussion. Readers can make of it what they will.

Four weeks ago I attended a business dinner at a nice London Hotel, I sat next to a young lady who came from Russia and as we made small talk she asked me what my interests were and I said that my leisure time was mainly wrapped up in watching football, (I didn?t mention EFC thinking she would not have heard of them). She raised her eyes and said that she hated football but that one of her best friends from school played professional football for her home town club Zenit. I asked who it was and she replied Andrey Sergeievich. I said I had never heard of him and she said I might know him better as Arshavin ? she went on to say that three English teams had been offering him lots of money to play in England.

She said he wasn?t going to leave Zenit because they had just won the Russian Championship for the first time since 1983 and he wanted to play for the team he had supported all his life in the Champions League, so unless Zenit wanted to sell him he was going to leave in 2009.

I asked which English teams had made him offers but she said she didn?t know only that they were not teams playing in the Champions League, which was another reason for him not moving.

As I said make of it what you will.
Pau Gladwell
3   Posted 23/05/2008 at 19:26:01

Arshavin can play in a number of positions and would be a superb buy, he could play in the hole behind Yak with Cahill behind him and a holding player, together with Arteta and pienaar or whatever wide player we buy, that for me would be a quality side plus we would not feel any injury to Cahill too bad, whatever for me it is 4-5-1.
Adam Cunliffe
4   Posted 23/05/2008 at 20:16:22

I agree completely Paul. Arshavin would be great, but if we don't get him, we still need 4 5 1.
Connor Rohrer
5   Posted 23/05/2008 at 20:30:33

Jo is very unrealistic. We would spend 18 million on one player and especially on a striker. Midfield is key and midfield is priority.

I wouldn’t say a rate Arsahvin as highly as alot of Evertonians but I’d like us to sign him. He’s shown me flashes of what he can do and if we can find him a position, get him settled then we could have a good player on our hands.

That position for me will probably be as a striker or more of a second striker. I wouldn’t say he plays in "the hole". He’s not a Zidane, Van der Vaart, Snidjer etc who are actually play in a position between midfield and attack. From what I’ve seen of he plays as a striker and just drifts everywhere. Left, right and centre aswell as linking play and running people. I think he’s more of a Rooney or Tevez in terms of positioning and style of play. Mabye not as robust but definatly as clever and technically gifted.

Even if he doesn’t make it there then he’ll be a useful winger. He’s certainly has a bit of pace and skill about him.

Centre midfield before anything is the key though. I’d like to see us bring 3 in. Fernandes on loan, Diarra and Bradley. All three would improve us in my opinion.

Diarra fits the bill defensively. He’s got the height and stature, he’s physically strong and mobile and puts his foot in. Distribution wise he’s simple yet effective. He’s not going to offer anything going forward but he’ll break up alot of play and he’s certainly not going to stand on the spot like Carsley and not offer himself to the defenders. Could be a good signing in my opinion. Not Patrick Viera but certainly not Sissoko either.

Bradley I feel has the right attributes to make it here. Tenacity and ability is what he has. He may not break into the team right away but he’d get enough games under his belt and would definatly improve us centrally. He can play the attacking midfield role aswell as the defensive midfield role. He has a good mentality and a will to succeed which is also improtant. He reminds me of Cahill in some ways.

Fernandes would be my loanee. I think we all know he has quality its just about him getting fit and confident. He’s also versatile which gives us another option.

Midifield is key.
Adam Carey
6   Posted 23/05/2008 at 20:47:49

I’ve got to agree on the statement of intent regarding someone like Arshavin. If Moyes doesn’t want him fair enough, but if I were Moyes, and I was asking the board to back me in order to ease through the contract negotiations then this is the sort of player Kenwright has got to pull out of his magician’s hat!
If we can’t afford this type of player then we over-achieved last year and should think ourselves lucky to be finishing in the top 10.
Message to the board, David Moyes has proved his worth, now it’s time for them to step up and prove themselves...!
Jay Woods
7   Posted 23/05/2008 at 21:18:29

@ Steve Ashton: My wife is Russian and what you say about the patronymic name rather the surname re Arshavin adds a ring of truth to the account. Let?s hope though that the lady concerned was mistaken.
Gavin Ramejkis
8   Posted 23/05/2008 at 21:27:36

I agree with the Arshavin as a good sign of intent to move up the next step, anyone doubting his ability obviously didn’t watch the UEFA final, the guy has talent and would be a good addition to any squad. Pity we didn’t make a move after we beat them with the McFadden money.
Steve Green
9   Posted 23/05/2008 at 21:53:34

Walked out of the ground after the Zenit game in December and discussed with my ald fella what wonderful players both Arshavin and, I think it was Zyrikov or something similar ,were. Sad as it is to say it, following Ferguson?s pronouncement about "phasing out" Scholes, there is only one club Arshavin will end up at. Sorry to say it but....
Luke Dunn
10   Posted 23/05/2008 at 22:26:28

Arshavin is at a club playing CL next year, plus the people behind Zenit are loaded, the Russian League pays big bucks with all the dodgy oil, gas, steel money to back it. Why would he leave Zenit?
Jay Harris
11   Posted 23/05/2008 at 22:47:36

I think we?re all getting hung up on one player like we did with Manny last year.

Although we desparately need quality additions to the squad it will have to be done in a balanced way.

First priority will be to get one or two Carsley replacements(we were lucky to get so many games out of him).

And I agree with Connor, Diarra and Bradley would seem a great starting point.

Then I believe the right side needs strengthening with either a more mobile and capable RB or a goal scoring winger, Kanchelskis would be great but he?s about 20 years too old now (but you get my drift).
I also cant see Pienaar lasting a whole season so maybe Joe Ledley as left side mid.
And if we really pushed the boat out BUY Fernandes who I think has real star material about him.(Even though I know they?ll end up failing with another loan bid).
Dave Dixon
12   Posted 23/05/2008 at 23:00:42

@ Luke : Advocatt has already confirmed Arshavin is leaving Zenit this season.
Ron Joynson
13   Posted 23/05/2008 at 23:02:00

I have been puzzling whom Arshavin reminds me of. The answer came to me as I watched an old EFC video today. It’s Peter Beardsley. Same style, same role. Would be a great signing and who knows? .... did we ever expect to see Beardsley playing for us after his years over the Park. We can only dream
Frank Tucker
14   Posted 24/05/2008 at 00:44:36

Connor, you say that Bradley has a good mentality. How on earth would you know that? Do you know him personally? You regularly talk at length about the strengths and weaknesses of these foreign players as if you are Evertons chief scout and have been watching them every week.
Scott Broadhurst
15   Posted 23/05/2008 at 19:40:44

On your front page you say that the statement from Ian Doyle about there being no imminent transfer business is "worrying". Why are you worried? The date today is the 23rd of May, preseason doesn't begin until late June, and to my recollection only two high profile transfers have taken place so far, in Bosingwa and Modric. In the summer of 2006, when we were widely considered to have done our bidding early, Joleon Lescott was only signed on the 14th June, which is some 3 weeks away from now. I'd suggest that we have a little bit of patience and see how things pan out.
Cindy Cole
16   Posted 24/05/2008 at 07:57:27

I?m quite sure we wouldn?t have been in for Jo unless we were going to offload Johnson. I wouldn?t object to a replacement for Johnson provided that he was unequivocally a better finisher. Is that Jo though?

As regards Arshavin, I?m most definitely in agreement with those who want him. He?s an outstanding talent. I had deludingly hoped that Moyes would sign him back in January with the McFadden money. I?ll be exceedingly disappointed if we don?t sign him and devastated if someone else does.

As for Dudu, I know very little about him but would welcome some Brazilian flair. Of all the other links; either Cana or Diarra and Joaquin (along with Arshavin and Fernandes of course) would do very nicely.
James Marshall
17   Posted 24/05/2008 at 10:06:10

Youtube videos of Jo prove he?s a way better finisher than AJ, but then I?m a better finisher than AJ and I played left back for 4 years!

Dudu?s a holding midfielder Cindy so not exactly full of Brazilian flair - he?s more like Dunga was for Brazil.

The whole Arshavin thing puzzles me somewhat - I work in London and as a result work with lots of Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Man Utd(!) fans. Speaking to them about Arshavin and they have little idea who he is - I can?t help thinking that the only reason he?s on our radar is that we played against Zenit in the Uefa Cup. They all watched the Uefa Cup final but none of them thought that much of him. My suspicion is that had we not played Zenit then we wouldn?t know anything about him either.

I can still see Arshavin staying with Zenit, despite the reports of Advocaat saying he?ll leave. He has a young family, is a Zenit supporter and they?re in the Champions League next year - whats the rush? Financial maybe? Who knows but it makes little sense for me. I like Diarra myself.
Terry Smith
18   Posted 24/05/2008 at 10:18:37

My only worry is that we may miss out on players due to not paying wages & transfer fees etc etc. Similar to when we finished 4th. Our targets all went to lesser teams. We are in a much better position than when we finished 4th and should have more money to spend so we should be snapping these players up hopefully before the Euros otherwise there price tags will inflate.
James Marshall
19   Posted 24/05/2008 at 10:42:00

Dudu and Jo are Brazilian so won?t feature in the Euros, Arshavin is suspended for Russia?s first 2 games and Joaquin won?t start for Spain - is he even in the squad?

DM has a history of buying players not just for their ability, but for their ability to integrate into the existing squad without rocking the boat - do we have room for any Brazilian players who infamously don?t travel well? LIkewise a Russian that's never played abroad? Questions that remain beyond ability I think.
Connor Rohrer
20   Posted 24/05/2008 at 10:40:23

Frank Tucker, I went out of my way to watch Bradley and give my opinion. I make sure that I watch players before I give my opinion on their strengths and weaknesses. Players like Jo and Dudu I have not commented on because I haven?t seen them play. If I tried to I?d be lying.

I?m not making things up when I talk about Michael Bradley. I?ve watched him a few times on Setanta Sports for Heerenveen as well as in the Under 20 World Cup for America. Let's just sat I?ve seen him enough.

When I say he?s mentally strong I mean he is a player who is very tenacious, determined, never gives up and always looks like he wants to win. Similar to Cahill in that way. Both players have strong mentalites in my opinion.

I also read an article about him. He overcome a lot of critisism in his youth by supporters who felt he was only in the team because he dad was the coach. He?s proved everyone wrong, got a big move to Heerenveen and is now the best performing American playing on European soil at the moment.

Like I?ve said I comment on players I have watched. Is there a problem with that? Just because I watch a lot of football outside of England doesn?t mean I?m claiming to be Everton's chief scout. I love football and I love watching all types of footballing matches.
Michael Hunt
21   Posted 24/05/2008 at 10:56:16

Good on you Connor; Bradley does seem ideal for us in so many ways: Tackler, Eye for Goal, Young, Hard Worker, Good Engine, Physical, Professional, Tenacious, Improving, English Speaker, Ready for Premier League (and affordable). I really hope Moyes snares this talent, he?ll be just what we need I think and a win-win for player and team.
ps: Shame he got sent off early when Moyes went to watch him the other week... (still, same happenned when Moyes scouted Faddy but we still bought him).
James Marshall
22   Posted 24/05/2008 at 11:14:54

Looks like Bradley is going to Boro, according to all the reports - theres nothing to say we’re even interested, is there?
Adam Doyle
23   Posted 24/05/2008 at 12:38:53

A lot of people on here keep saying we won’t get Arshavin because he’ll go to a CL team. Well, it maybe unrelated, but in the case of Modric, he had CL footy at Zagreb and chose to go to Spurs. Arshavin could easily do the same, and after saying in January that Goodison is his preferred choice, I am pretty confident.
Paul Gladwell
24   Posted 24/05/2008 at 12:46:34

Ron I said those same words to my mate after that UEFA final, he is like Beardsley with pace and would be a Goodison idol from day one he would actually make people want to go the game.
Shaun Nesbitt
25   Posted 24/05/2008 at 13:38:57

Just to clear things up about Arshavin. The Russian league finished in late November, by that time Zenit had already qualified for the Champions League. Zenit didn?t play Everton until three weeks after the season ended. In January Arsharvin came out and said he would like to play in England and preferred destination would be Everton. Even though Zenit have qualified for the Champions League, he still wants to leave for new challenges.
Stuart Mitchell
26   Posted 25/05/2008 at 19:42:52

Apparently Lorik Cana is one of Moyes's top targets, a replacement for Carsley. This guy looks like a hardcore version of Carsley, totally crazy and tackles like a out of control bulldozer, be fun to watch but bound to spend most of the season suspended. Got to love the passion though.