Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Ing-er-land!

Last night, against my better judgement, I sat down to watch the England - USA game. What with the season over, and the play-offs finished, I was ready to watch any football. My main reason for watching, however, was to see if Phil 'Jaggy-Jelka' get his first England cap. Always good to see one of your own do well. Or is it?

There seems to have been a worrying trend over the years of Everton players making their England debuts only to fuck off to another 'bigger' club shortly after. The worst case being that litlle fucker Nick Barmby. Remember all the Barmby for England songs, and BK ringing up Sven asking him to give Barmby a chance. Soon as he's been in the squad for a few games, well, we all know what happened next. Perhaps the same thing could be said about Rooney and although I'm not too sure, didn't the same thing happen with Jug Ears Jeffers?

What exactly happens at these England camps that turns our players heads so much? In my opinion, I think if a manager such as Roffer likes the look of one our players. say Lescott for example (God forbid). He probably gets Gerrard to have a word in Joleon's shell-like. Perhaps letting him know that if he asks for a transfer, that he could double his money, Champions League etc etc. I am pretty confident that this is what happened with Barmby and perhaps with Rooney as well.

Taking this into account, I'd probably be happy never to see one of our players play for England again.

I'm in the Armed Forces, surrounded by people from all parts of the country, so whenever England play it's a good excuse for everyone to get down the pub and all support the same team. Recently though, some of my colleagues would not believe me when I told them I would rather see Everton win the League Cup than England win the World Cup! Also, when you see the England team on telly, there is a growing band of really unlikeable players in the squad, Rio 'Merk!' Ferdinand, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney etc.

The more I think about it, given the reasons above, I reallly couldn't give two fucks about the national team. I for one will not be purchasing an England replica kit, St Georges flag for the car, or inflatable England chair!!

Do any other Evertonians share this apathy, or am I being too cynical?
Franny Porter, Aylesbury, Bucks     Posted 29/05/2008 at 12:28:13

Comments

Darren Manning
1   Posted 29/05/2008 at 14:19:40

Think you’ll find loads of Evertonians/Scousers in general don’t care too much for the national team Franny. I know I don’t.
Patty Beesley
2   Posted 29/05/2008 at 14:26:28

Think you will find the start of Rooney being unsettled was likely to be friend Gary Neville whispering in Shek?s ears about the advantages of playing for Man U, higher wages, champions league etc. The football world all painted rosy pink plus his Agent pushing him for his big fee.

I don?t even like Rooney any more. For God?s sake it was only a friendly against the USA last night but he seemed to have a permanent scowl imprinted on hs Shrek features.

Personally I don?t think he is half the player he was when he left us.
Henrik Nygren
3   Posted 29/05/2008 at 14:26:24

Good point, I´m born and raised in Sweden and i can honestly tell you that i´d rather see Everton finish 4:th above Liverpool or win the League Cup next year then Sweden win the Euro 2008. Does that make me crazy or does that just show the importense of a national team.. btw i´ve seen 2 games this season, Arsenal (H) and Liverpool (A) so i´m not just following the stream like we say in Sweden..
Nick Davis
4   Posted 29/05/2008 at 14:35:12

I?m with you Franny.
Gareth Humphreys
5   Posted 29/05/2008 at 14:37:38

Any team with Steven Gerrard in it I want to get beat.
John Lloyd
6   Posted 29/05/2008 at 14:41:10

You will find 90% of Evertonians dont give a shit about England, most Liverpool fans I know don't either to be fair. I was gonna say maybe its a scouse thing before Henrik blew that out the water above!! Cheers Henrik.......ha ha
Rich Jones
7   Posted 29/05/2008 at 15:03:28

i think it was Keegan who was in charge at the time of Barmbygate Franny.
martin cutler
8   Posted 29/05/2008 at 14:58:33

Well, I’m surprised..........first of all I would want to see Everton win something AND England win something.......my preference probably would be Everton as that is the team I support day-in, day-out (and since 1968 I might add) but I certainly wouldn’t wish England NOT to win something or use some of the terms used above about my countries team!!!
Any player, regardless of his background (and yes I hate Gerrard with a vengeance!) that wears the England shirt is okay with me.........I’d prefer it if they actually came close to winning something (I think that might change peoples overall opinions) but then the same could be said of Everton.......we would support them through thick and thin but the chance of being in a final, metaphorically speaking I’d give my left arm to see that before I kick the bucket!!! And if truth be told I’d do the same for England!!! One of the greatest days of my life (and I mean that 100% sincerely) was watching England stuff Germany in ’66..............my god I’d give anything to see a performance like that in a final by England ....... or Everton!
Although I live in the States I’m English, proud of it and would love to see England (and Everton) win something!
Lee Smith
9   Posted 29/05/2008 at 15:15:28

During the ’98 World Cup I was in Ibiza on a lads holiday, watching the Argentina game in a club. Becks had just got sent off, and I was in the lav having a slash, when the guy next to me said "I don’t see what all the fuss is about, doesn’t bother me if England lose". I was that angry with the lad I almost smacked him one. I couldn’t believe that an Englishman could think like that. Now though, as a more sensible 28 year old, I remember back to that moment and think to myself "actually, thats exactly how I feel now!"

To me, the England team are just a load of over paid prima donnas, who I can’t relate too and act like spoilt kids (A Cole prime example!).

I would rather see Everton win 3 points let alone the league cup, than see England win anything.
Tony Williams
10   Posted 29/05/2008 at 15:45:55

I know exactly where you are coming from Lee, I was working in a Bar in Magalluf in 96 and 98, the Euros were bad but I was nearly sacked after the World Cup, as my Spanish boss was having a go at me after we lost and I was very close to sparking him out.

Now a more serene 35 year old I can take or leave England, I will support them in the Cups but I don’t feel anywhere near the same as I used to in my youth.

The players, as you say, are all prima donnas and I just can’t imagine myself now getting to a pub at 7:00am in the morning, like when we played Brazil anymore, to watch them.
Dan McKie
11   Posted 29/05/2008 at 15:55:16

Im not sure about players like Gerrard and the like have such a brainwashing influence, certainly none more so than the actual players agent! England will always be the same, Capello came into this country spouting off about how its the form players who will play for England from now on, then what does he do in a meaningless friendly? Play all the ’Big 4’ poster boys from the start! Even the subs he brought on after that were the likes of Joe Cole (lets see what hes like on the international stage with only 50 caps)! I think the other England players are the least of our worries when it comes to turning the heads of our players!
Adam Cunliffe
12   Posted 29/05/2008 at 16:10:39

I would much rather see Everton win something than England win the World Cup.We play dire football and are the most overrated nation in the country.
Adam Cunliffe
13   Posted 29/05/2008 at 16:13:47

Nation in the world.Sorry about that one, my mind went blank!
sean condon
14   Posted 29/05/2008 at 16:22:54

Couldn’t give a shit about England. I was born in Wigan and live in Canada, but i’ll cheer for the Scots, the Welsh and either of the Green teams before I waste an ounce of desire supporting a team made up of equal parts Mancs, Redshite and Rooskies.
Martin Cutler: England didn’t exactly stuff the Germans in ’66 now, did they? They did get a little bit of help from an incompetent linesman.
Three points for EFC, anyday, over anything for the sadsack national team.
Fuck Steve Gerrard. And fuck Wayne Rooney, too. Oh, ACole and John Terry, as well. What a bunch of ugly pricks.
Chris Dottie
15   Posted 29/05/2008 at 17:17:20

Why the inferiority complex ? Why can’t we believe that Joleon and Jags will have a word in the ear of Glen Johnson or Wes Brown or Joe Cole etc
Peter Roberts
16   Posted 29/05/2008 at 17:14:48

With regard to Henrik Nygren?s comments, my first ever football match was Sweden vs Wales at the Racecourse Ground, which had Nev in goal, think Brolin scored one, can?t remember who score the other in a 2-0 win. Just to re-inforce that point, the only England match I?ve seen was an Under-21s match at Goodison against Portugal, which England lost to a dodgy Ricardo Quaresma handball.

For those reasons alone I will always follow Sweden above England despite the fact I own passports from both countries and claim dual nationality. Maybe it?s because Sweden are a bit like Everton today in that they will always do well but not good enough to win the big prize.

But saying that you?d rather see Everton win the League Cup than Sweden win Euro 2008 - I agree with you but I wouldn?t half love the latter almost as much as the former. Everton will always be my first love but Sweden my second.
Will Bruce
17   Posted 29/05/2008 at 18:35:21

Now, come on chaps, lets be reasonable here, the national team is a wonderful thing, it allowed Mr John Terry, to forget his ’trauma’ of his penalty miss, he scored a goal, and now has the summer off, he can now enjoy his summer, according to most reports. The bloody twat...England?, you must be joking, I despise the England team, the sooner they are all shot, the better!
Karl Jones
18   Posted 29/05/2008 at 19:04:02

Everything about the England team is just so pretentious. That big gold star over the crest says it all really. It should be a photo of the Russian linesman!..What a diver StevieGs become.Has he patented that Trip-yerself-up trick? They’re just a horrible bunch of overpaid, averrated pricks.
martin cutler
19   Posted 29/05/2008 at 19:50:11

Sean Condon.......as far as I am concerned we stuffed the Germans..........and truly an incredible day for me...don’t spoilt it for me now!
Phil Roberts
20   Posted 29/05/2008 at 20:16:46

Most Liverpool supporters couldn’t care less about England either.

That’s because they support Norway
Paul Heery
21   Posted 29/05/2008 at 20:21:39

On the subject of Rooney being tapped up when on England duty, is it only me who thinks that the way that United are reacting to Real Madrid’s pursuit of Ronaldo is just a little bit hypocritical?
Mike Hayes
22   Posted 29/05/2008 at 20:17:34

Thank God I’m not alone in thinking the current England squad are full of shit. Biggest shit of all is the number 7 boy would I love to put a bullet between his eyes then Shreks. I’m like the rest I’ll follow all bar England shower of shite.
Steve Templeton
23   Posted 29/05/2008 at 20:25:29

Does anyone remember Sven saying that the ’big’ clubs should be interested in Rooney (or words to that effect) when he was the England Manager?
Jip Foster
24   Posted 29/05/2008 at 20:37:17

It was Glen Hoddle with Nick Barmby - I only remember as Nick was the first play to score for Hoddle as England manager (see those pub quizzes are useful)
Alan Clarke
25   Posted 29/05/2008 at 20:43:07

I was in Portugal in 2004 and was incredibly proud that it was our lad leading the line and scoring for fun. We all knew what a gem he was and now he was showing it at international level. Then he left after obviously being ’tapped’ up and since then I honestly couldn’t give a shit about the national side. I was cheering for Tim Howard last night.
Adam Wightman
26   Posted 29/05/2008 at 20:52:57

100% agree with this. Great points, well done!
Tony Williams
27   Posted 29/05/2008 at 21:00:01

Right there with you Alan, I was torn between Howard having a clean sheet or him breaking Stevie Me Laaa’s legs giving away a penalty.
Ian Martin
28   Posted 29/05/2008 at 23:13:44

I think English people not wanting England to win is a bit sad.
MIke Robinson
29   Posted 29/05/2008 at 23:13:47

From what I can remember Barmby did the unthinkable just after he was involved in Euro 2000 with Keggy’s England. It subsequently came out that the england squad at that time ws full of cliques of ManU / RS / Arsenal players and i suspect he has with the RS one - you just knew his head would turn!
I don’t worry too much about that happening now that we’re a consistantly better team than we were then. Now my problem with Ingerland isn’t worrying about our players but a general distaste with the players & fans & media that surrounds them.
Jay Harris
30   Posted 30/05/2008 at 00:08:49

It would help if the overpaid bling bling team actually played decent football and had some success then fans might be prepared to support them.

As it is watching England play these days is like watching one of Walter’s worst teams = Dire.

At the risk of upsetting the RS I think Gerrard is the biggest problem.He insists on being involved in everything and does not bring other players into the game.

Who wants to watch the Stevie-me-la and shrek show certainly not me.
Jason Lam
31   Posted 30/05/2008 at 02:32:59

Last time I actually ’supported’ England was 1990 WC. Since then I would ’support’ whichever team played good coherent effective football as a TEAM. Which England is certainly not. I did look out for Lescott when he played and felt sorry for him playing second fiddle in a crap team.

Paul Heery, I was thinking the same regarding the C Ronaldo saga. A madrid fan should hold up a sign saying ’Please sign C Ronaldo’. The next thing is C Ronaldo holding up the Real Madrid shirt. I would love it if it happened.
Graham Stringer
32   Posted 30/05/2008 at 05:07:27

i would always support england regardless of the annoying players and the fact that a number play for utd, lpool etc, i am english and thats that for me. But to say you d follow scots, irish and welsh, i just dont get. Especially the scots with their bitter chip on their shoulder.

Secondly, dont Everton have any "overpaid, prima donna’s" - would some of the above want us to lose on that basis................
Dave Richman
33   Posted 30/05/2008 at 11:52:22

A few years back, we had a snap poll of the Everton Supporters Club of Southern Africa on this very subject.

Of the 50-odd people polled, precisely ONE member indicated he would rather England win the World Cup over Everton winning the league.

As hard as I try, I just can’t bring myself to support a team with Stevie Laaa’ in it. I just can’t do it.
Garry Ledley
34   Posted 30/05/2008 at 12:39:00

Completely agree. I would rather Everton won a reserve game than England win the world cup! Full of money grabbing scum bags and glory hunting toss pots looking to get there moment of glory! Couldn?t give too shiny one?s if no Everton players ever play again.
Mike Hayes
35   Posted 31/05/2008 at 18:36:07

Fuck me Ingurland just took another backward step with a backward choice of captain.
No idea of progress whatsoever!