Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Kings Dock Disgrace

We don't know the ins and outs of who was to blame for the Kings Dock fiasco, but we do know that it never went ahead and instead a brand new concert/events arena was built on the banks of the Mersey. The Echo Arena was supposed to be an excellent venue, with excellent facilities and it has played host to famous bands and artists such as Take That and Mika.

But now it's time for the main event of the European Capitol of Culture year. A fantastic concert with The Zuton's, The Kaiser Chiefs and Sir Paul McCartney himself. And where is it being hosted? At bloody Anfield!

Now this might be bitterness on my part, but when you stop the oldest, most well supported and the down-right founders of Football in the city of Liverpool from building a new stadium and instead mak it a ?World Class? venue, you expect it to be used for the main musical events going on in Liverpool.

And to put the top hat on it, we're now being carted off to Kirkby on the back of Wyness's bandwagon. This is another biased decision by the clearly red Liverpool City Council.
Adam Cunliffe, St Helens     Posted 29/05/2008 at 16:33:19

Comments

MIchael Kenrick
IIt makes sense to me. What did get built has nothing to do with Everton and has a capacity of 17,000. Anfield has a capacity of 40,000. It's the "main event".

I think you are in danger of allowing bitterness to consume you... at such a tender, young and impressionable age too!

Tony Williams
1   Posted 29/05/2008 at 21:18:06

I think it is safe to say that it was Kenwright’s and the boards fault for not getting the £30m (ringfenced or not) to fund the King’s Dock arena.

Everytime I go past it I always wonder what could have been.
roy coyne
2   Posted 29/05/2008 at 21:51:52

Adam had Bill not blown it Im sure thats where the concert would have been as it would held a lot more then the present arena.and thats the criteria more seats more cash.
Davey militwitch
3   Posted 29/05/2008 at 21:51:18

Adam, take a chill pill lad the Anfield site was chosen as the reply says above because it can house 40k + maybe even more depending on how many are squeezed onto the pitch.

With regards to the Echo arena I have been fortunate enough to go there twice and It is a very good modern venue.
It kills me even more so now than it did back when it fell through when I look at what we have on the table currently in Kirkby Bikeshed.

The Liverpool One area opened today and I was right in the midst of it at around 1.00pm, and It is absolutely the place where we should be - if not the kings dock (obviously) then as near as damned to this fantastic development. The amount of people and investment around this area will transform our city as we know it, more so than we can imagine. John Lewis store is imposing and the Debenhams is a sight to behold. Not only that but the best feature for me is the step were you can chill out in the sun overlooking the docks and fountains.

True to Everton form however, Bully Wyness has other ideas, Knowsley is the place to be, next door to QVC and a Tesco.
Ray Robinson
4   Posted 29/05/2008 at 22:48:23

Take comfort in the fact that even though the concert is at Anfield, Macca is an Evertonian - allegedly. Now take that Ringo bloke - must be a Red, no class!
Greg Murphy
5   Posted 29/05/2008 at 22:57:13

He may well be a (nominal) Blue but I’ll lay 4,000 Blackburn holes to 1-on that he’ll finish his gig on Sunday with THAT song. THAT dirge. THAT weepy, melodramatic, borderline nonsensical lament. In fact, sod "borderline", that utterly nonsensical, health&safety challenging (when you walk through a storm you dodge for the nearest friggin doorway you bad red belters!) Rodgers & Hammerstein screech which isn’t even the best song in the screamingly gay musical that it belongs to.

Upside-down-scarf waving, puke-inducing sanctimony of the lowest order. Lyrically criminal wailing. Low-rent cadences for a sub-prime audience. Wrist-slashing whining to be played as masochistic muzak in the express lifts that open out into the ante-rooms of hell.

You wait. He’ll sing it.

And unlike Zeddies, there won’t be - coz there ain’t - a foot-tappin note in the whole tear-filled pissy parade!

*breathes*

paul hennessey
6   Posted 29/05/2008 at 23:39:19

I wonder if you can get any odds on that Greg?

it’s absolutely nailed on to happen isn’t it
Stewart Marsland
7   Posted 29/05/2008 at 23:39:14

Kings Dock.... ancient history get over it ,forget it ,absolutely pointless keeping on about that, anyway getting to the waterfront is terrible any normal time imagine trying to as part of 55,000????
Jay Harris
8   Posted 29/05/2008 at 23:33:42

Adam Cunliffe
get your facts right before you blame LCC for an almighty BK cockup.

LCC worked 2 years to get EFC 95 million in grants from the EU and to get EFC’s contribution to 30 million (YES 30 million for a truly World class stadium on the banks of the mersey in a prime location).

BK promised them EFC had the 30 million "ringfenced" and asked for an extension of the deadline to show the colour of the money.

They agreed to this once but when he asked again they wanted to see the money and of course he couldnt come up with it.

He then asked his then friend Paul Gregg who said he would lend the 30 million but wanted BK to secure it on his shareholding or on the development.

Bk then did his usual and hid below the nearest parapet and the deadline came and went as of course did an amount of the grants for Merseyside.

Certtain LCC members stated that they would never have anything to do with "that man" again so its not a case of LCC favouring the RS its a question of who wants to work with them and who does’nt.

For the record we could have asked for Stanley Park but never did!!!
Gerry Marsden
9   Posted 29/05/2008 at 23:48:16

@ Greg Murphy,

You fucking spoiler, you have ruined my surprise finale now. I bought me new 64 inch waist / short leg suit from debnehams today and everything. . . . . . . . .

Paul Jones
10   Posted 30/05/2008 at 08:39:40

To be fair to the new arena, I think there’s an element of forward-loading going on here. I think many bands’ itineraries are booked a year ot two in advance, and the Arena wasn’t 100% in place at the time.
I hope/expect these sad-acts to become a sideshow as the arena gathers momentum - a good indication of which is a Coldplay gig lined up for December.
While not everyone’s cup of tea, they’re easily the highest profile acts to headline the venue to date.
ste kenny
11   Posted 30/05/2008 at 09:08:41

So called evertonian mccartney is the headliner. wonder if he’ll sing the that song he done about italians. I would
Alan Codd
12   Posted 30/05/2008 at 09:10:02

Personally if Paul mcCartney offered to come and play in my front room id tell him that I had other plans.
I understand the tourist revenue created but the citys obsession pisses me off.
I dont care for boardman,cilla black or that other prick Tarbuck either.
At least Ringo star was honest as lets face it if I won the lottery Id be off at the first oppurtunity and Id only return to watch the blues.
patty
13   Posted 30/05/2008 at 09:16:40

If Macca is an Evertonian why doesn’t he fund a new stadium for us and we could then get Heather Mills to open it!!
Dave Lynch
14   Posted 30/05/2008 at 09:18:38

Mr Codd.
I’m with you on this one. Can i come and be your personal butler if you touch on the lotto and i’ll return the favour if i touch.
Fuck all those proffesional scousers, they make me sick.
Gimme the Stone Roses any day.
Alan Codd
15   Posted 30/05/2008 at 11:46:26

Dave we park our cars in the same garage.
Its a deal you CAN be my butler..but i wouldnt fancy cleaning my house especially when ive fudged my undies listening to she bangs the drums
Dan Johnson
16   Posted 30/05/2008 at 11:56:21

Lets face facts, the Liverpool city council want Everton gone, they are only interested in the club which shares the same name as the city.

Lets face it if we had gone to the liverpool city council and asked to build on STANLEY PARK we would have been told NO. Liverpool rack up with a proposal based straight after the jammy euro cup win and get it all approved in a matter of 4 months.

The problem with teh concert being held at anfield is that it increases the profile of the club to people who may not ordinarily go there. So yep, its yet more pro-liverpool fc propaganda.
Dave Lynch
17   Posted 30/05/2008 at 12:50:21

Alan the deal is struck.
Now wheres me lotto numbers ?
Wateeer Faaaaalllllll. Da De Da.
Keith Glazzard
18   Posted 30/05/2008 at 15:53:09

The Kaiser Chiefs? At least these Leeds supporters will remind those assembled that the mighty can - and do - fall.

ps - when was the last time the Beatles performed in Liverpool - anyone?
Rob Jones
19   Posted 31/05/2008 at 00:21:37

’’think you are in danger of allowing bitterness to consume you... at such a tender, young and impressionable age too!’’

Reminds me of someone...