Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

From Russia with love

I have to admit I was pretty excited about the rumour of a Billionaire Russian taking over our beloved club. I did a bit of research on the internet about the guy and he seems to be very much in Abramovich mould... only less wealthy and in prison! Anyway, I spent a few days reading the forums of various sites to see if any more news came out about it... and as you'll all know, there hasn't been.

Doubts started to creep in about the validity of the story and then we get the news that the Tesco Dome may be in trouble, and may get called in by the Government.

This to me just made me think the whole story was leaked purely to put pressure on the council to give the plans the go ahead... i.e we have investors lined up to pump millions of pounds in to the club, but they are only interested if we get the go ahead for this stadium.

I then started thinking a bit about how the story had been leaked. Billy Boy speaks to a journo at the Toon match, spills the beans and tells him to keep quiet, the journo in turn tells the KEIOC guy, and the rest is history. Now why on earth would Billy Boy choose this route to tell the world of possible investment? Surely if there was a real possibility he'd keep quiet until the deal was done... isn't that supposed to be "the Everton way" after all? It's obvious he's done this because of the stadium fiasco, and wants to be able to deny he ever said anything when it doesn't materialise.

I'm so bloody fed up of all the crap this man comes out with! I'm not even massively anti-Kenwright — or at least I wasn't until recently — but as a fan i'm sick of being deceived! Or getting my hopes up, only for them to be dashed.

I think its pretty obvious now that there is no oil tycoon in the pipeline (excuse the pun) and that the club are using any tactic they can to put pressure on the council to give us the go ahead for the new stadium. I for one hope it does get called in and planning is refused... then there will be nowhere for the people in charge of our club to hide.

Is it just me or does everyone else think this whole Russian investment rumour has been created for this purpose?
Andy Hudson, Newcastle     Posted 29/05/2008 at 16:25:38

Comments

Lyndon Lloyd
Perhaps a little quick to rush to judgement there, Andy. I don't think you can say you've been deceived by anyone yet, particularly as none of us know for sure just where this information originated or how true it is.
Chris Briddon
1   Posted 30/05/2008 at 08:46:21

Its quite impressive the lengths people go to to get Bill involved in some sort of conspiracy / cover up these days.

As far as anyone is concerned the rumour is just that - a rumour, started by someone from KEIOC on the radio - so why couldn’t it be a KEIOC conspiracy instead, why does Bill have to be the cause of it all.

I take ownership rumours the same way as player transfers, don’t believe anything unless its been officially confirmed by the club
Andy Hudson
2   Posted 30/05/2008 at 09:14:18

Sorry Lydon I was more referring to things that have been claimed by the club in the past (FSF, Kings Dock money, free stadiums etc) when I was referring to being deceived, and how this just rings true of all these previous deceptions.

Chris you’ve got to admit it seems very fishy that this rumour came out just when the Tesco Dome deal is on the brink of collapse? Ok so it didnt come straight from the horses mouth but as far as i’m aware the Echo journalist hasn’t come out and denied that he was given this info by Kenwright, or that he then passed it on to KEIOC.

Why does Bill have to be the cause of it? Well isn’t he always?
Ben Howard
3   Posted 30/05/2008 at 10:38:17

It’s a nice theory and another one that we can beat Kenwright with.

Maybe Bill is desperately trying to convince Moyes to sign a new contract and he’s trying to deceive him that there will be a huge investment in the team, and for once not us!

Or maybe, just maybe, there is an element of truth in the story and Bill is sick that somebody has leaked it...

Or maybe we shouldn’t believe every nugget of unsubstantiated crap that is written about our beloved club.

but remember...

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist.
Andy Hudson
4   Posted 30/05/2008 at 11:19:03

Ben, I take onboard what your saying an agree with the majority of it... but Kenwright could hardly be sick that someone has leaked it when he (alledgedly) told a journalist of the supposed interest in investing. Lets face it, if you want something kept a secret the last person you tell is a journo lol!

As for the Devil... how much money do you think he has? Could be worth Bill dropping him a line. Lets face it if he could build us a new stadium from fire and brimstone at the gates of hell it would be a very intimidating place for opposing teams to visit. Plus if I remember correctly he currently holds the soul of Wayne Rooney, so could maybe persuade him to come back too? (Actually nah i’d rather he didnt come to think of it!)
Mike Williams
5   Posted 30/05/2008 at 12:34:43

No chance of the devil investing, the RS have already signed a pact with him
Liam Reilly
6   Posted 30/05/2008 at 12:28:53

I was walking to work this morning and slipped on a damp cigarette packet.

That darn Kenwright. I just know he’s responsible.
Andy Hudson
7   Posted 30/05/2008 at 13:43:13

Liam did Kenwright promise you a nice full pack of 20 Marlboro handed to you for ’free’ by a bunch of page 3 stunners, only when you got there it turned out to be a damp packet on the floor you slipped on? If so be prepared for a bill of about £78 to follow soon. lol!
Simple Simon
8   Posted 30/05/2008 at 15:54:32

Liam: Kenwright is responsible for the damp packet of fags that you slipped on. He’s here with me now, and he’s laughing at you.
Lyndon Lloyd
Editorial Team
9   Posted 30/05/2008 at 18:49:43

Chris Briddon: "As far as anyone is concerned the rumour is just that ? a rumour, started by someone from KEIOC on the radio"

Not quite true, Chris. The rumour had reached us at ToffeeWeb Towers two weeks before Dave Kelly announced it on the radio ? contrary to the usually excellent Mark O?Brien?s assumption, our Rumour Mill piece was not the result of Chinese Whispers emanating from one website nor did our piece reveal all the pieces of the puzzle as we know it.