Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Michael Johnson

Another tenuous link I know! I was wondering what kind of player he is as he has been likened to Gerrard.

I tend to watch different leagues/teams more than Man City so was hoping anyone who had watched him a few times could share the wealth?

I know he was with us until a few years ago and plays in midfield but that's it ? he isn't tall either...
Mark Cassin, Singapore     Posted 30/05/2008 at 07:18:55

Comments

Connor Rohrer
1   Posted 30/05/2008 at 13:59:09

He is 6ft like which is pretty tall and alot bigger than most of our midfield.

He’s definatly a talented box to box midfielder from what I’ve seen and I’d take him for the right price. He does have similarties to Gerrard. Box to box energy, decent passer, good tackler and tecnacious. He’d be one for now and the future and he was on our books as a kid.

The price of 10 million is too much for me though. For a player who’s only played one year of proffessional football that is a high price. People have called Fernandes inexperienced and just a talent but he’s been playing at the highest level for a few season now and is older than Johnson. Someone like Johnson could be a risk. You just don’t know what he’s like. Is he consistent, is he injury prone, whats his attritude like etc. It would be a gamble paying that much for such an inexperienced player.

I’d take him but there are better and more experienced options out there. I wouldn’t mind us having a look at his teammate Gelson Fernandes. For me he fits the bil more. He’d cost less, he’s just as young and he’s more defensive minded. He’s quick with Lots of energy, tidy footballer, puts his foot in and is big at 6ft. I’d rather him than Johnson.
Shaun Nesbitt
2   Posted 30/05/2008 at 14:56:10

I’ve watched him a couple of times and he looked good. He also scored a cracking goal. A volley with the outside of the foot from about 20 yards. But am still not sure about him. I’d rather have manuel fernandes.
kev
3   Posted 30/05/2008 at 15:17:58

matteo ferrari’s on a free, id av im as a squad player
Kieran Doyle
4   Posted 30/05/2008 at 15:15:11

He was on our books? Bloody Hell...we are good at letting talent go for them to only later become very good players arent we! And if rumours are to be believed we are trying to buy him back!
What the F%@k am I missing here?! I think EFC need to keep a closer look at our youngsters! Whats the bets 1 or 2 of those we let go last month come back to haunt us? No matter, we’ll buy the back for 8M quid in 3 years!
Connor Rohrer
5   Posted 30/05/2008 at 15:31:08

Kieran Doyle, I’ve heard it was the other way around. He actually left us. Haven’t got a clue why. Probably to be closer to home.
Carl Wright
6   Posted 30/05/2008 at 15:33:39

Id take him above Ferandes, easy! And at the £8m thats being quoted i reckon he would be a great adition. Suited to the pace and power of the prem more the Fernandes.

He would need a tough tacking, defensive player next to him to be most effective.
Ric Wallace
7   Posted 30/05/2008 at 15:51:50

The funny thing is that if half the posters above were managers- we’d never sign anyone!

We can’t afford to buy the world-class players that are finished articles.
So Moyes seems to be going for the youth that he can perfect and mould. £8-10 million looks expensive, but if you want to buy British you have to work on those prices (Wolves forced £5m out of us for Lescott- and they were in the division below).

I’d take Michael Johnson any day of the week. He’s a decisive, mobile and talented player - and he is only 20.

To someone grumbling above about Johnson only having one professioanl season so far- Ashley Young had only played one season in the Championship with Watford before promotion to the Premier League- Villa paid £10 million for him, and we all complain now why we didn’t look at a player like him!
Kieran Doyle
8   Posted 30/05/2008 at 15:56:13

He left us? Ok fair enough! But I think you get the point Im making. I would need to think about this alot more when I have more time and I can only think of Richard Dunne for the time being, but Im sure there are quite a few who we have let go who have turned out to become very good players who we would probably welcome back. Perhaps a topic for another thread!
Anyway I would more than welcome Michael Johnson back but at 8M Quid, I beg to difer with Carl, I think that is very pricey for similar reasons you have mentioned Connor.
Connor Rohrer
9   Posted 30/05/2008 at 15:59:04

Ric Wallace, Ashley Young played 98 games for Watford before joining Aston Villa. He’s now played 50 odd games for Villa aswell. Thats alot different to someone playing 25 games in his whole career and being banded about at around 8-10 million.

I’m not moaning at all. I’d love him here but I do think there are better options out there for similar or less money. And Yes it is a risk signing someone who has only played 25 games for the reported price. I know quite well that we can’t buy world class players, I’ve said it many times in the past but I know for a fact we can better better and more experienced players than Johnson.
Jay Harris
10   Posted 30/05/2008 at 16:38:08

I would concentrate all our efforts on getting Fernandes,Joaquim and a defensive mid maybe Sidwell then IMO we would be top 4 material.
Jason Broome
11   Posted 30/05/2008 at 17:04:58

Totally agree Jay.

However Johnson IS the next Gerrard and we would be foolish not to buy him.

He is a solid tackling play-maker with a good engine, clever feet and a footballing brain. English players of his pedigree come around once every five to 10 years.

Fernandes & Johnson would make an awesome pairing. There is no reason why we cannot afford Johnson, Joaquin, Fernandes (loan), Sidwell, Carr on a free, and possibly another striker (AJ gone for 8M).

However I feel that Joaquin is using us for more money elsewhere.
Richard Porter
12   Posted 30/05/2008 at 17:19:08

My understanding of Johnson’s spell in our academy was that his father put him into four different academies for a year each, then sent him to the one that seemed best for him (City)
Connor Rohrer
13   Posted 30/05/2008 at 17:22:32

"Fernandes & Johnson would make an awesome pairing."

I agree Jason. Manuel Fernandes and Michael Johnson would be an excellent midfield partnership. If that was our first choice midfield partnership next season with Cahill floating off them I’d be very happy. I think they’d be a partnership for now and the future if we where to get them.

Yes there young and inexperienced but there talented lads and seem to have the right balance about them. Neither are out and out defensive midfielders but Johnson has good defensive qualities and Fernandes could develop them. He’s certainly showed he could tackle in his first spell but didn’t alot in his second.

Do you need a out and out defensive midfielder? I don’t think you do. Arsenal haven’t played with one this season. Obviously Flamini had alot of defensive qualites but I wouldn’t call him a Makelelele or a Carsley. He got around the pitch and was more box to box. Liverpool have also used the Gerrard-Alonso combination which is similar to Johnson-Fernandes.

The partnership does appeal to me. Two good footballers, strong boys and have the styles to suit each other.
Art Greeth
14   Posted 30/05/2008 at 17:29:27

Kieran Doyle... I would wager that NO player ’let go’ (as you describe it) by Moyes has ’come back to haunt us’. You will not find any of the young players ’let go’ by Everton in recent years playing at a higher level than the Championship - most even lower. Certainly, none of them have gone on to command a transfer value of seven figures.

Even Walter Smith had a good track record on letting players go, so that covers the last decade. The only one Walter possibly boobed on was Gavin McCann, I believe. We got 3 million for Richard Dunne which was good business at the time as he most definitely had an attitude problem and was very close to being sacked by Keegan in his early days at City. Only by totally reforming himself has Dunne become the player you see today.

It has been widely reported very recently on this very forum how Michael Johnson’s father very astutely gave his son a year at a number of interested clubs when he was but a pup. In effect, he was never our’s to ’let go’.
Ben Brown
15   Posted 30/05/2008 at 17:43:08

A Makelelelelele Connor? I entirely agree. The only reasons Carsley played entirely defensively was because he was old and not that good going forward anyway. Makelele’s pretty much the same situation, but he’s just so good at it that it’s acceptable. If you look at the holding players for all the top teams, yes they break up play and protect the defence, but they’re by no means entirely defensively minded and they’re all very good footballers.
I said on another post a while ago about the importance of having two centre mids that can pass to each other. All the very good teams do it to start pretty much every move. We’ve hardly ever done it because either we haven’t had two centre mids, just Carsley on his own, or because it’s been Carsley and Neville. Johnson and Fernandes would be great together, pity we haven’t signed either of them.
Connor Rohrer
16   Posted 30/05/2008 at 18:44:16

You don’t know who Makelelelelele is Ben? Class player. Makelele’s long lost brother.
Si
17   Posted 30/05/2008 at 18:40:18

If we have the money to buy him, I’d say go for it. He’s looked a quality player for city.. £8m would be a fair price.

Him, Joaquin, a CF and DM and a couple of squad players (Bradley et al...) I’d be pretty chuffed.

I work with a spaniard, he reckons Joaquin would be a quality addition.. although he did also comment "50mins is the most you get from him for a game" - better than nowt!
Colin Wordsworth
18   Posted 30/05/2008 at 19:06:55

Fernandes........at how much!......having a laugh....

great at dead balls........partic against the barcodes...who were playing as if they were on their holidays already!

but how many trees did he pull up before then?

not many!........and not many wins with him in the team!

the others mentioned will more than compensate!
Connor Rohrer
19   Posted 30/05/2008 at 19:42:06

Colin Wordsworth, realistically how much is Fernandes worth then?
Colin Wordsworth
20   Posted 30/05/2008 at 19:44:11

Connor

I believe that they want over 10 mill for him, I think he is worth half that!

We are looking at another loan...i believe, but he is not supposed to be the best trainer and turns up late!

As a driving midfielder I think Sidwell is far better...and doesn’t go missing like Fernandes.

There are better options out there!
Frank Bird
21   Posted 30/05/2008 at 19:46:49

Johnson a no-go for me; is he a player who can take us into the Sky four? I don't think so . Fernandes on loan is a better option, and also a big athlete is what we need in the middle. AJ can go ? not as prolific as we thought. Feed the yak and he will score, and that's what we need ? someone to feed him down the middle of the park.
Connor Rohrer
22   Posted 30/05/2008 at 21:33:05

Colin Wordsworth, there only so far you can get with players like Sidwell. Don’t get me wrong he’s a decent player but he’s not particularly excellent in any area. He’s just a decent, up and down midfielder.

Fernandes no question has his faults but he is a far more talented player than Sidwell. Technically superiour and more or a match winner. I really do think Fernandes on form over a full season has the ability to score 8-10 goals a season. Everyone seen how powerful his shots are and he seems to like having a dig from anywhere. Add that to his passing ability and vision. Fernandes has the x factor where looking for in my opinion.

5 million buys you a Championship player nowadays so its not really a realistic price. Fernandes is potentially a very good player, he has European pedigree and is a full international. All these things boost his price tag up in todays market.
Colin Wordsworth
23   Posted 30/05/2008 at 22:09:18

Connor

it’s all about opinions...and i respect yours!

I just don’t think he gives us enough, his dead balls are fantastic....but his overall game is not good enough.

re Sidwell..........he ran the midfiels against us in the Carling Cup and was very strong, he would be a bargain. As a footnote how Reading suffered without him!
Connor Rohrer
24   Posted 30/05/2008 at 22:52:13

Sidwell was terrible against us in the Carling cup if I remember correctly. Kept losing possession and was there weak link. I thought Carsley and Fernandes got the better of him on the day.

As you said its all about opinions really. I just don’t think we need another decent midfielder. We need someone with a bit of spark and magic about them. I’ve also heard Sidwell is close to signing for Villa.
Colin Wordsworth
25   Posted 30/05/2008 at 23:08:51

Connor

Talking about the Goodison game I thought we never got a kick in midfield and Sidwell dominated. I was very impressed with Chelski on the night, thought they were probably the best team to come to Goodison all season.

I don’t know how many games we won with Fernandes starting but I fear not many!
Tony part
26   Posted 31/05/2008 at 07:31:39

Im not sure I would pay 8 million on a relatively untried kid who has spent most of the season injured.
Lets not forget that Arsenal once paid 8 million for Francis Jeffers on the basis he had a decent start to his career.
Im not saying that Michael Johnson is a bad player but he may turn out to be another good starter that never gets out of the blocks.
I confess that I have seen him play a few times, on some occassions he has looked good and on others not so good but thats to be expected.
Fernandes on the other hand is a totally different style of player to Johnson and its also obvious that if Fernandes is at Everton next season then its more than likey going to be on a seasons loan deal so Im not sure as to why we are comparing the two of them.
Sidwell as far as I have heard is expect to sign for Aston Villa from July 1st.
I dont see why we cannot sign more than one of them anyway really.
If we could get Manny on a season long loan then we must surely still add to that with another central midfielder and a quality wide player as we still dont have any player in the squad who can get to the byline on a game by game basis and whip crosses in or simply create chances.
I am certain that by the end of June or early July activities will have well and truly got under way and we have to see signings being made soon.
James Newcombe
27   Posted 31/05/2008 at 08:22:43

Michael Johnson would be a fantastic addition - anything over £8m and I would start to worry, but this is an opportunity to sign a quality young english footballer - might as well take advantage of City’s bonkers chairman, eh? I would love to see Fernandes signed permanently as well, along with Gera.

Really not keen on the idea of Joaquin - if it was a cheap deal then yes; but the prices quoted are ludicrous for a player who was desperately underperforming last season, and then there’s not guarantee that he will produce his best in the EPL - remember Albert Luque was quality in Spain
Mark Pendleton
28   Posted 31/05/2008 at 08:32:30

Sadly if you don’t spend fairly big money on relatively untried kids and they do make it then they’re out of your league. £8m on Johnson is perhaps arguably less of a risk than the £5m on Lescott. If we are genuinely interested then Moyes will have one his homework and from what i’ve seen of him my gut reaction was how i’d love him to play for us so it’s one rumour that excites.

As for other transfers i think it’s unfair to judge Bradley on one international friendly appearance. As we know too well by that same judgement there have been many occasions when you wouldn’t touch J. Cole, Lampard, Beckham, Owen etc.!! I think at the right price he could be a very useful addition.

Then, if we can get Manny on a further loan deal i think we’d have done some good business although if we did bring in Manny again, Johnson and Bradley i do think since losing Cars we could do with one mor midfield addition. Then, if the interest in AJ is true and we could get over £8m for him i’d consider selling. We arguably wouldn’t need to replace him if Vaughan is fit next season and we can continue to play one up top with Cahill available. It’s tricky as a big name striker wouldn’t want to sit on the bench and play second fiddle to the Yak and i still think the 5 man midfield with Cahill advanced is when we play our best football. A midfield of Bradley, Johnson, Pienaar, Arteta and Cahill supporting the Yak with Manny, Ossie and Vaughan & Vic in reserve sounds good to me! And with a defence of Nev, Yobo, Lescott and Baines or Jag with Howard in goal is a pretty good unit.
Connor Rohrer
29   Posted 31/05/2008 at 10:19:10

Colin Wordsworth, we had a lot of possession against Chelsea but did fuck all with it. There was a lack of creativity and ambition from us on the day. The lack of ambtion was the main reason Moyes and the team got stick from the fans the next day.

Chelsea played well as a unit and the likes of Makelele, Carvaulho, Alex and Anelka revelled. Sidwell didn?t though. He was there weak link and kept giving the ball away. No question he?s a decent player but he wasn?t good on the day. I know that for a fact.

Fernandes came into the team when we where down to the bare bones so its unfair to say his presence in the team didn?t help the team. We had also reverted to the long ball before Fernandes came into the team and the football at the time was dire. In the last 5/6 games Fernandes was without doubt one of our best players and one of the few trying things like shooting from outside of the box, adventuturous passes etc.
Ciaran Chu
30   Posted 31/05/2008 at 13:34:19

Have to agree that £8-10 million for Johnson would be a fair price. I think if we could sign him and get Huddlestone from Spurs for around £5 million we’d have a young but strong central midfield. Maybe if we could also get Fernandes or Jaoquin on loan or Gera on a free we’d be well stocked for midfielders. This gives us at least 5 million plus sales (as we allegedly have a £20 million budget) to buy a class right back. Pompey are still being linked with Chimbonda so we’d have a chance of getting Glen Johnson.
Andy Callan
31   Posted 02/06/2008 at 12:40:28

Buy everyone and then if they are shite flog em.

Works for other clubs.

You have to speculate to accumlate...

Everyone keeps harping on about Everton’s ’progress’; so that means next year we need 4th and semi’s of the UEFA and / or success in a domestic cup.

Only time will tell eh? If we don’t get this do you think we should sack Moyes?

I don’t; we are about as good as £20m a yr on players is gunna get us.

COYB.
Andy Callan
32   Posted 02/06/2008 at 12:40:28

Buy everyone and then if they are shite flog em.

Works for other clubs.

You have to speculate to accumlate...

Only time will tell eh? If we don’t get this do you think we should sack Moyes?

I don’t; we are about as good as £20m a yr on players is gunna get us.

COYB.