Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Cushman and Wakefield

After the publication of that critique by the aforementioned regarding Destination Kirkby, Madden and Wordsworth will issue grovelling apologies.
Tony Kelly, Liverpool     Posted 01/06/2008 at 12:49:32

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Really? I wouldn't hold your breath, Tony. Admittedly I only skimmed it, after doing a word search on 'stadium' and finding sod all. It raises a few technical questions about retail space. That's it. Blah-de-blah.

I'm a consultant, you ask me to critique something you don't like, I'm gonna come up with something that's amiss. Although I saw nothing of real concern myself, there is probably still a finite risk that the project will get called in. Let's wait and see shall we?

Louis Platt
1   Posted 01/06/2008 at 22:44:43

I don?t understand why LCC never objected about Knowsley poaching a business in their boundary by offering from a peppercorn rate on their land.

If LCC had approached one of Abbey National, Norwich Union, Capital Bank, QVC, Vertex, Telewest or Barclaycard with a similar deal the chances are Knowsley would oppose the development.
Colin Wordsworth
2   Posted 01/06/2008 at 22:57:37

Tony

Since you?ve so kindly mentioned my surname....quite rude....but hey, don?t you think that there is a reason behind the fact that LCC have commissioned this report, probably with taxpayers money.

Could it be that they are fearful of the fact it could be a successful venture and they realise they have, for want of a better phrase ?dropped a b.....k!? in forcing our beloved team to look at Kirkby.

It has now emerged that it appears that we have no chance of sharing the carbuncle. What efforts are LCC making to keep us in the city?..they seem to take more pleasure in trying to disrupt us.

And for the record I would love Everton to stay at Goodison....if it were feasable and the club could afford the new build there, but as you and I are aboth aware the cash is not there.

So I like everybody else on this website want what we feel is best for the club. No more , no less. So no apologies either way!
Lyndon Lloyd
Editorial Team
3   Posted 02/06/2008 at 05:08:18

I wasn?t able to read the whole thing as I didn?t have time but I got through most of it. While I?m not going to doubt Michael?s consultancy experience, I did find the report a lot more damning than he clearly did. I also think that perhaps Michael was looking at it from the Everton angle and in terms of this project succeeding or failing as a whole, it?s the bigger picture ? i.e. the retail aspect ? that?s going to be key.

In the context of the likelihood that the scheme will get called in by the government and the effect on that likelihood that objections from local authorities might have, I see it as a pretty persuasive report.

The stadium isn?t given much mention ? presumably because surely the only objection LCC could have is that one of their longest-standing institutions is being "poached" and that they (LCC) could be seen to have not done enough to prevent it ? but where it is brought up it is to question why Tesco?s scheme needs Everton in the first place.

The answer, of course, is to add a sporting/recreational dimension of sufficient size to justify the enormity of the retail proposal. Again, highly pertinent.

I can?t say how much effect this report will have but the way I read it, it encapsulates the excessive size of the project and lends more weight to the belief that opposition to it will be the most likely factor in bringing it down if that?s what is to happen.

Neil Quinn
4   Posted 02/06/2008 at 11:34:22

According to reports on Radio Merseyside this morning it seems that LCC are unlikely to object now.

Worst news I’ve heard since we sold Alan Ball.
Paul Sherlock
5   Posted 02/06/2008 at 12:06:54

AFC Everton anyone?
Louis Platt
6   Posted 03/06/2008 at 02:09:23

You have an article on the front page of the site linking to Icliverpool saying that LCC will not object to Kirkby.. They will be.

David Bartlett of the Daily Post never read something called the annexes, they outline the concerns and objections that LCC will raise. He came to his own (wrong) conclusions.
Andy Callan