Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Hughes to City!

For the past 3-4 years, the anti-Moyes brigade has often identified Mark Hughes as an example of a better manager and the man they want to replace Moyes. Hughes apparently would take Everton into the top 4 and beyond.

I have never quite understood this. I do rate Hughes highly, the has done great at Blackburn; however, Moyes has always finished higher in the league while playing comparitively better football.

Now we see his head is being turned by those £££ at City. Say what you say about Moyes, however, I would never see him leaving a club for financial reasons. City are obviously going to be a perrenial train wreck ? big stadium, big players, big wages, and big talk and about THREE managers a season.

People often ask "Why isn't Moyes ever linked with Spurs, Newcastle, City, Chelsea..." Of course these clubs make moves, a manager with his record is never going to be overlooked; however, the reason he is never seriously linked is in my opinion the fact that he has no interest in them. Like Wenger and Ferguson, I don't see any other manager in the country that as a club we can be proud of as our manager. He is here for what we want: Success For Everton ? those other managers have the ideology of Success for Me.
Fran  Mitchell, liverpool     Posted 02/06/2008 at 17:02:09

Comments

Davey Militwitch
1   Posted 02/06/2008 at 18:06:18

Cant say I have heard much in the way of Hughes being touted as better than Moyes in terms of managerial capability, the only time i recall the comparison is the kick back from our Draw this season.

Moyes is for me the far superior manager because his track record says so.

The reason he never gets linked to Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle, and City? He is doing a job here that is not finished. Kenwright has his detractors (myself included) but one thing he does have is an excellent relationship with Moyes. He gave Moyes the break, and Moyes has paid him and us back in kind. We are a massive club with massive support, with the exception of the top two who would he go to?
Alex Collins
2   Posted 02/06/2008 at 18:18:30

He has been offered the Newcastle and Spurs jobs by intermediaries.

Moyes has been quoted as saying he got offered a big job remember and he turned it down probably because at Everton he can manage as he wants to.

As for not being turned by the dollar, if reports of 60K a week are to be believed he is not doing too bad at Everton!
Dave Lynch
3   Posted 02/06/2008 at 18:24:37

I was driving past the old lady around 12pm and noticed 4 bods looking at the Dixie statue.
Nothing unusual there, exept they where carrying outside broadcast equipment.
You know. Long furry mike and hand held stuff.
As i was at the lights they walked toward the back of the Pk end.
Anyone heard anything ?
Connor Rohrer
4   Posted 02/06/2008 at 19:06:51

Moyes has had more money to spend that Hughes. Hughes is probably the only manager around our level who Moyes has outspent. I’d say there more or less equal in terms of what they’ve done. Neither have one anything, but both have stabilsed there clubs and are moving forward.

Footballing wise there isn’t much difference. Its a myth nowadays that Blackburn are bully boys. They where a few years ago but like ourselves more flair has been added to there game. Players like Bentley, Santa Cruz, Dunn, Pedersen and McCarthy are all good footballers and have improved there style of play. Our football has also improved.

Neither are free flowing. We have our moment and spells but we can also be awful to watch. As I’ve said its getting better but there’s still room for improvement.

Both have done good jobs for there clubs in my opinion. Not much seperating them because they’ve worked on different budgets.
Davey Militwitch
5   Posted 02/06/2008 at 19:48:11

Have to disagree Connor, the state Everton were in was really much worse than when Hughes Took over from Hodgson I think it was.
Among the stars we had, Gemmill, Gascoigne, Collins, Ginola, Max Moore et al, the Everton team sheet really made grim reading.

Not only that but when he took charge at Preston in 1998 they were deep in relegation trouble in the second division, and he went on to guide them to promotion to the championship and also the verge of the premier league.

Hughes is good, but he has had sharper tools to work with. Moyes has built an infastructrure on threadbare resources.

Moyes v Hughes? Moyes for me everytime.

Connor Rohrer
6   Posted 02/06/2008 at 20:05:01

Davey Militwitch, Moyes everytime for me aswell but you can’t doubt the job Hughes has done. Thats what I’m getting at really.

Hughes hasn’t been given anywhere near the finds Moyes has. I’m sure he spent like 3 million last year whereas we spend 20 million. When Hughes joined Blackburn there aim was also to beat the drop. Hughes has also shown consistency over the seasons. He’s finished in very similar positions every year whereas we’ve been a yo-yo team.

Both have done excellent jobs for there clubs. Not much to separate for him. Who do I prefer Moyes? Moyes without a doubt.
M J Tyrrell
7   Posted 02/06/2008 at 20:45:45

Davey, Did Hughes take over from Hodgson? I thought Souness and Kidd came in between? I think you should get your facts right if you are going to come on here and judge other posts harshly.
Adam Wightman
8   Posted 02/06/2008 at 22:27:24

Hughes has done well at Blackburn and he did well with Wales. Ex-Everton player so good luck to him. If I had to pick it would be Moyes. I think he has done a world class job of turning Everton around from where we were a few years ago.
Jim Lloyd
9   Posted 02/06/2008 at 23:00:40

Davey,
Kenwright also had a great relationship with Walter Smith. I must be a bitter bugger about Kenwright, I accept that, but a Chairman should remain objective about any manager. It’s his job to sack him, if that’s what’s required..
I’ve been critical of Moyes - and still am at times with his ultra cautious use of tactics and subs. Every Evertonian will have their view about Moyes, or any other manager we get, that’s the nature of being a fan. As for Hughes, if Moyes went off tomorrow, I’d be happy enough if Hughesy took over.
I think they are both good Managers. I think that the real question is "Which Chairman is going to provide the funds to allow their manager to bring in the talent required."I don’t think there will be any argument there. Whichever club Hughes goes to, will provide him with more funds than our Chairman will provide for Moyes. Hope I’m wrong.
Stuart Reid
10   Posted 03/06/2008 at 00:09:33

I have to say I’ll be surprised if Hughes goes to City. I think he might be trying to be a bit clever. By declaring an interest in the City job he might be trying to force Chelsea’s hand, flush out their interest so to speak. If they really want him they will have to make a move now.

If I’m wrong and he is leaving Blackburn for City, it’s probably the fact he can’t keep hold of Bentley that illustrates to him the level Blackburn are at.
Mark Cassin
11   Posted 03/06/2008 at 01:51:16

Sorry but I have no idea at all where any plaudits for Mark Hughes come from.

Give ball to Bentley--let him work his magic and BANG--the forwards have a chance to score.

Man mark Bentley (as we saw last season) and they are a poor workmanlike team.

I think he will be an absolute disaster at Man City if he goes there...good for us as thats 2 teams who will again finish below us next season :)
Connor Rohrer
12   Posted 03/06/2008 at 08:59:35

Mark Cassin, the same could be said of us last season. Arteta was our only creative outlet and if he was marked out the game we where useless. Osman is average outwide so he’s wasn’t playing to his full potential and Cahill whilst a very effective player isn’t creative. Only until Fernandes came for the last where we able to support Arteta and play some decent football.

This season thats changed but we’ve been given enough money to bring in creative, skillful players whereas Hughes hasn’t. He spent like 3 million in the summer whereas teams like us, Villa, West Ham, Newcastle, Man City, Portsmouth etc where all spending 20 million plus.

And I disagree with your opinion on there style of play. Its not free flowing but they do play some decent stuff. Players like Pedersen, Bentley, Santa Cruz, David Dunn and Mccarthy are all very capable footballers.
Ciarán McGlone
13   Posted 03/06/2008 at 09:17:49

How can you suggest Moyes would never leave a club for financial reasons....is the club rumour at the moment that Moyes has not put pen to paper until he is satisfied with the financial outlay of Kenwright?

Surely that?s exactly the same thing!

And it?s about time he called the actors bluff!
chris mcmahon
14   Posted 03/06/2008 at 10:55:11

I rate mark hughes very highly and think he would do a great job at city or chelsea,but there is not a better young manager out there than moysie,he is learning and getting better every season.
I would love moysie here for life but that depends on bungling bill and also for me moysie needs to challenge himself he has done as much as he can with what he has,he needs now to go for a trophy and into the top 4and can only do that with cash
Richard Parker
15   Posted 03/06/2008 at 12:16:11

I think Hughes has done really well at Blackburn, but he’s gotta be asking himself if he’s content to sit where he is. With the amounts that Blackburn have been spending, they are really unlikely to break into the top-6, let alone top-4.

If Man City get the right man and he gets a good 1st season under his belt, they have the resources to go places.

On the flip-side, I think there are plenty on the blue side of Manchester who would say that Sven was that man. Your typical poisoned chalice story...... must be tempting to have a go with some serious cash to spend though.

I’m sure there are several big clubs who would have taken Moyes given half a chance. But for whatever reason, I would imagine that Moyes would have been clear in his rejection of their advances. I’m sure a large part of that’s loyalty to us, whether he has his eye on SAF’s chair at Old Trafford or the Celtic job, or whatever, time will tell.

Moyes will only leave us once Everton’s ambitions no longer match those of his own. He needs £30M this summer to be able to continue the improvement he has made so far at our place.
Simon Jones
16   Posted 03/06/2008 at 13:20:44

Am I alone in thinking that Moyesie will sit tight until Man U come sniffing? If they let the next manager have as much freedom as Ferguson then it would be very attractive. Spurs, Newcastle and even Chelsea all look attractive options until you look at how they go through managers. In another two seasons he might have broken into that top four. Imagine what we could achieve with Man U resources. Plus he might sell Rooney back to Everton cos I can’t imagine the two of them at the same club...
Mark Cassin
17   Posted 03/06/2008 at 14:39:05

Oh, and for anyone saying Blackburn play good football??? Is that the media talking (1st year dirty football--now their angels?) as they are bottom of the fair play league again.

Awful team, horrible manager and a crap team other than Bentley and Cruz.

Can’t stand them. Shearer to take over them next year and more of the same.