Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

The new Ferguson?

Just been reading an article in the paper about Alex Ferguson. He's said that the person who replaces him must be an ideal replica of himself.

Ok thats pretty arrogant of him but it got me thinking about who is the most likely sucessor going to be, if he has a say in who takes over from him... the article did mention he would have to identify his sucessor, but didn't quote him saying this, so I think thats their words not his. The paper in question goes on to list... Steve Bruce(?), Mark Hughes, Roy Keane, and Carlos Queroz

Am I missing something here? Surely the man who most resembles Ferguson, and models himself on him is our very own Moyes? Bloody lazy jounos just picking out three ex-players and the current No 2 .

I think if Ferguson has a say in his sucessor he would pick Moyes every time. That would be a very sad day for us, so lets hope Ferguson stays on for a long time yet, or quits before we start winning anything as at least then the board wouldn't appoint a manager who had no trophies to his name.

It's interesting to note that despite winning 2 Manager of the Year awards, breaking in to the top 4 (albeit only for one season) and qualifying for Europe two seasons running, he still doesn't seem to get any plaudits? Unfortunately, those in the game know how talented our man is, and eventually he may well be offered a job that is too good to turn down. I firmly believe if this happens it will be as a direct replacement for Ferguson.
Andy Hudson, Newcastle     Posted 03/06/2008 at 12:59:45

Comments

martin cutler
1   Posted 03/06/2008 at 15:07:58

I’ve been thinking for some time now that Moyes might end up at Man Utd at some point in the future.....not anytime soon me thinks.
Aside from the obvious reasons why I just hope that we win something very soon and therefore Moyes realises he has a job to do here.....he could be THE Ferguson for Everton and turn us into a powerhouse team...............I think that providing money is available (a big IF admittedly) then Moyes would only leave for a top club in Scotland or here.......like he wouldn’t even consider clubs like Man City, Spurs etc., it would be Celtic (or Rangers?) or Man Utd.

I can’t imagine him just quitting Everton.......jeez, if only we didn’t have ther ground issue hanging around our necks and we did have more money available!
Ian Bonnette
2   Posted 03/06/2008 at 15:14:14

Imagine Rooney´s face if that happened. It would be worth it just to see him jump ship...maybe not Moyes to stay I say.
Seamus Murphy
3   Posted 03/06/2008 at 15:22:33

Am I reading this wrong or do you actually want Moyes to be touted for the Man Utd job and are annoyed that he isnt???

Sometimes I despair at some Everton fans logic I really do. So you would prefer if we were embarrassed in the press by having our manager linked with a "big" club.

*Shakes head*
Andy Hudson
4   Posted 03/06/2008 at 15:26:46

Seamus I think your reading incorrectly between the lines so please save your neck muscles and quit the the head shaking.

I don’t want Moyes touted for the Man U job, I just think its interesting how little credit he gets from the press for the job he has done at our club.

Why would we be embarrased if our manager was linked with the Man U job anyway? Cause were a "big club" like Man U? We were not... not in the current football climate. Yes we’ve a club steeped in rich history and have won many trophies in the past, but if you compare us now to Man U then there is no comparison. They have a world class stadium, huge resources, some of the worlds best players and have dominated the English game for over a decade. We are a big club, but in modern day football terms were not as big as Man U... and as such I would not be "embarrased" at any of our players or manager being linked with them... in fact i’d take it as a good reflection on the progress we have made under Moyes. I obviously wouldn’t want any links to come to fruition though... I rate our manager VERY highly and want him to stay at this club forever and create a legacy and restore us to being the top team in England.

Seamus Murphy
5   Posted 03/06/2008 at 15:39:40

Andy - I’m not reading between the lines at all! The whole point of your post is your shock that Moyes isnt linked to the United job.
Why cant Moyes be the new "Ferguson" for Everton rather than his replacement at Man Utd.
As someone else said on another thread - people are catching "big 4 disease" and starting to talk about us like we are some sort of insignificant third rate club.
Andy Hudson
6   Posted 03/06/2008 at 16:00:39

Seamus - Moyes CAN be the new Ferguson for us... providing Man U dont ask him to replace Ferguson. Are you telling me Moyes would turn down Man U to stay with us? I would love to think he would, but i doubt it!

I wasn’t "shocked" Moyes wasn’t linked with the post, but "shocked" at how he continualy is over looked by the mainstream media for his efforts at our club.

The whole point of my post also wasn’t being shocked at the fact he wasn’t linked to the post, but more about how I see him in the same mould as Ferguson, how Ferguson rates him highly, and how I think Ferguson will recommend him as his sucesssor.

How does any of what I say make you think i’m referring to our club as 3rd rate?
Seamus Murphy
7   Posted 03/06/2008 at 16:21:08

Andy i agree that Moyes could be our Ferguson and would be gutted beyond belief if he left us for United - or any other Prem club for that matter.

I’m not telling you that Moyes would turn down United, i have no idea whether he would or not. It was actually you that made the assumption that he would find it hard to turn down. Who knows what Moyes priorities are.

I do agree with you that Moyes and Ferguson seem to be in the same mould and Moyes seems to look up to him a lot. But he has to start delivering some silverware to Goodison.

Andy Hudson
8   Posted 03/06/2008 at 16:47:37

Yeah I agree that he needs to dleiver some silverware. Its been a very slow and gradual process to take us from where we were under Smith to the current day. I believe it could take just as long again for us to realistically be challenging for major honours on a regular basis. I feel where lacking that "spark" required to beat the teams who continually win trophies, and without that we’ll always struggle to really break their stranglehold (especially on the premier league). We don’t fair well in cups, but if Moyes can add 3 players of real class to the team, mixed in with our current crop I could see us winning trophies regularly. Problem is to add 3 players of real class it’ll probably take 3 years as we dont have the funds to buy more then one every season.

I made the assumption Moyes would go to Man U mainly on the basis of him following in the footsteps of the man he most admires in football... and for challenging for the biggest trophies year in year out. I may be wrong on that, and if we are where I hope we will be in the future he may stay... I for one really hope he does as he is the most valuable asset we have
Davey Militwtch
9   Posted 03/06/2008 at 16:43:29

Seamus the tone and the point of your post suggested not only to Seamus but to myself also that you are baffled why Moyes is not being touted as Fergusons replacement. The question I ask YOU, which Seamus rightfully highlights, is WHY do you want Moyes to be touted as a replacement for Fergie?
Your defeatist attitude stinks when you are stating that we would stand no chance if Man Utd came in for Moyes. I think that we COULD keep hold of Moyes as long as our boards ambition matches his own, and the teams success begins to come into fruition.

I dont think Moyes is overlooked in the scheme of things, those within the game know only too well what he is capable of.

Hughes, Keane, Queiroz all have one thing in common-they all have links to the sky darlings that are Utd. In my opinion thats the only reason the papers link them to the big jobs.
Seamus Murphy
10   Posted 03/06/2008 at 16:54:40

Yep i agree he is our most valuable asset. I have to be honest though - at times over the last couple of seasons i was tearing my hair out at the style of football we were playing and some of the substitutions he would make (never forget the one v Spurs) but ive seen enough this season to make me believe that we can play quality on the ground football when circumstances allow (ie. best players on pitch and in their proper positions) and Moyes obviously wants to go this way.

Still need him to bring in that big Midfielder though dont we!! But theres no reason why as you say we cant challenge for trophies next season - just look at Spurs and Portsmouth this season FFS!!!
Albert Dock
11   Posted 03/06/2008 at 17:31:40

Look on this site for past managers and you will see that no Everton manager has ever gone on to manage a bigger club.

For each and every one of them Everton was the pinnacle of their career.
Tony Cunningham
12   Posted 03/06/2008 at 17:31:15

I can think of £500k reasons why Rooney wouldn’t want Moyes to be the next manager
James Anderson
13   Posted 03/06/2008 at 18:08:24

Agreed with Seamus Murphy, getting upset because Moyes isnt’t getting robbed from us?
Andy Hudson
14   Posted 03/06/2008 at 18:01:35

Davey i’m not being defeatest, i’m being realistic. For ANY manager it would be the pinnacle of their career to manage Man U, such is their resources and their dominance of the premier league for over a decade. Moyes doesn’t owe us anything and if that once in a life time opportunity came along I believe he would take it.

However I am basing this on our current boards finances, and stadium problems etc. If we manage to break in to the top 4 year in year out, get some good investment, and win trophies then fair enough I beleive he might stay.

Yes I am baffled as to why he hasn’t been touted as Fergusons replacement, and why in general he isn’t highly regarded by the mainstream media. I would like to see him get the credit he deserves... equally I would NOT want him to actually get the job. I’m meerly highlighting in a round about way that outside of the top 4 (in the media’s eyes) there are no clubs, players or managers... and this I feel is a sorry state of afairs.
Glen Strachan
15   Posted 03/06/2008 at 18:20:03

Andy.......why was it arrogant of Ferguson to express that view ?

David Moyes has done a good job at Everton but he is certainly no Ferguson and it is hard to imagine him ever being of interest to United as a succesor to Sir Alex.

I know it is ?the silly season? but can we stop these stupid speculative posts about Moyes next job ?

David Moyes is currently manager of Everton FC , contracted for one more season and there are even rumours of a new contract offer from the club also being suggested by the press.

Don?t make up ?bogey man nonsense? please !!!!!!
Anthony Jaras
16   Posted 03/06/2008 at 18:40:03

Shit, annoying and disturbing post.
Let’s not talk about this until it happens which I hope is never FFS.
Sorry Andy.
Micky Norman
17   Posted 03/06/2008 at 19:00:14

Manager of the year twice. Isn’t that real recognition and better than having your name plastered across the Sun or whatever paper you mean by"plaudits"? the silly season just got sillier
Rob Dale
18   Posted 03/06/2008 at 18:39:31

As flattering as it is for our manager to be linked with other jobs, Moyes has made it quite clear in the past he really has no time to idle gossip and speculation.

I’m sure one of the key goals in his long-term plans for Everton is to build a team comparable to Manchester United, if not better and more successful.

A lot of people forget that when Ferguson took over Man U in the eighties, they were far from the filthy rich team we have to suffer today. I’m think he even had to go begging to the board for funds to buy Brian McClair!
I’m sure someone will check my half-remembered "facts" on that one.

Bullying other clubs into giving up their young starlets aside, success breeds success - we could do a lot worse than using man u’s business model for our own purposes. At least up until they got loads of debt shovelled on top of them.

Anyway I don’t think man u would want anyone less than mourhino in 2-3 years. Especially given that the best manager in the world is already spoken for.
Andy Hudson
19   Posted 03/06/2008 at 20:36:45

I just think its annoying our manager doesn?t get the credit he deserves, neither does our team... i.e. when its talked about clubs who could challenge the top 4 its always Spurs, Newcastle etc... I just think the press have written us off despite making massive strides and being the one team with a solid enough foundation to break the sky 4 monopoly.

Glen - Do you not think Man U will ask Ferguson?s opinion on who should replace him when the day comes? If they do I?m sure he will recommend Moyes. Also I think Ferguson is arrogant for saying they need another ?him? as he?s pretty much saying no one but he could do the job.

I just think it's about time the media took the blinkers off and saw that we are still a big club, and one in the accendancy.
Terry Nightingale
20   Posted 04/06/2008 at 07:20:40

I think there is one big question mark against Moyes, and it is one that I think he would struggle with if he ever became Man Utd manager: I think his man management is suspect. I think he is a bit in the Gordon Lee mould when it comes to ?Star Players"... I remember the famous comment from Lee, ?Stars are for the sky"
Seamus McCrudden
21   Posted 04/06/2008 at 10:19:38

Andy, are you sure you're not a Manure fan in disguise? Man Utd the pinnacle of any managers career? Why? Because they have been successful in the last ten years? When Fergie finally goes in the next two/ three seasons, there will be no guaranteed success... Look what happened to Chelsea when Mourinho left, now they are looking for another manager! Pinnacle of career depends on personality & background, culture etc. That's whats is wrong with the game today, money, money, money......
Louis Huglin
22   Posted 04/06/2008 at 11:04:29

Shhhhhhhh

We don’t want ManUre nicking him.

Pipe down
Andy Hudson
23   Posted 04/06/2008 at 12:00:29

Haha... no Seamus I?m not a Manure fan in disguise, I was looking at the situation from a completely unbiased view point. I?m sure most managers dream of managing a team with some of the worlds best players, fantastic financial backing and a massive world wide fan base... as he also bases himself of Fergie it would also be appealing for him to follow in his footsteps.

I really hope that never happens... I really hope he doesn?t get sick of having to push the board for financial backing and use things like his contract to get what he wants... or threatening to quit like he apparently did last year.

Your right theres no guarantee of success for any manager going anywhere, and I really hope in a few years time were up there challenging for major honours so theres no reason for Moyes to ever look elsewhere.

I?m 100% a Moyes fan, I know he has his critics within our own support... but for me he is the man who could make us great again, and build something special here... maybe my point here hasn?t come accross too well... but I think he is good enough to manage Man U after Fergie leaves... I equally think and hope he can create a legacy with us. I just hope the board match his ambitions and the temptation to move on never comes.

Maybe its a good thing that we do fly under the radar when it comes to the media as it means Moyes can get on with his job quietly and effecitvely
Brendan McLaughlin
24   Posted 04/06/2008 at 20:07:56

It really pisses me off when people come on & make sweeping crticisms of Moyes with little or nothing to back it up. Terry Nightingale has serious concerns about Moyes man management skills. WHY?

The only recent incident I can recall is when the Yak went AWOL after the African cup & I think Moyes handled that perfectly.