Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

World Team of the Year 1985

Reading the Everton Wikipedia page, I came across this wonderful bit of info about the World Team of the Year:

Heres the full list: 1982: Brazil | 1983: Hamburg | 1984: France | 1985: Everton | 1986: Argentina | 1987: Porto | 1988: Netherlands | 1989: A.C. Milan | 1990: Germany | 1991: France | 1992: Denmark | 1993: Parma | 1994: A.C. Milan | 1995: Ajax | 1996: Nigeria | 1997: Borussia Dortmund | 1998: France | 1999: Manchester United | 2000: France | 2001: Liverpool | 2002: Brazil | 2003: A.C. Milan | 2004: Greece | 2005: Liverpool | 2006: Barcelona | 2007: Iraq.

We're in some pretty good company. Aahh the good old days.
Lee  Penswick, Liverpool     Posted 03/06/2008 at 14:10:48

Comments

Paul OHanlon
1   Posted 03/06/2008 at 15:09:37

I lost all respect for that list when I saw the shite mentioned for 2005.

How the hell were they the best team in the world that season when they finished 5th in their own league? They weren’t even the best team in their own city ffs!!!
Dan Mckie
2   Posted 03/06/2008 at 15:23:03

What did Iraq do last year?
Lee Penswick
3   Posted 03/06/2008 at 15:27:06

I think the Iraq one has something to do with the way they’ve overcome the terrible situation in their war-torn country, and continued to play the the beautiful game at all costs. Fair play to them.
Paul OHanlon
4   Posted 03/06/2008 at 15:34:41

Iraq won the Asian trophy/tournament (their version of European Championships).
Anthony Horabin
5   Posted 03/06/2008 at 15:36:35

Reading that list means that whoever wins Euro 2008 will be World Team of the Year.
Paul OHanlon
6   Posted 03/06/2008 at 15:46:45

Think Man Ure may already have it in the bag this year.
Ed Fitzgerald
7   Posted 03/06/2008 at 15:45:10

I see the fucking penalty prize winners get two nominations though. Amazing they don’t win the league for nearly 20 years and still manage two teams of the year awards. What a shame we didn’t play Man U first in 1985 it would have been a treble.

2001? how did they win that? beat Birmingham on pens, bit Alaves in a comedy match thanks to an OG, and beat Arsenal in the Cup final after being battered for 80 Mins!!

As for 2005 that is just taking the piss, worlds luckiest team of the year yes
Andy Callan
8   Posted 03/06/2008 at 16:05:40

23 years ago that........

What about next season.......?!?!?!?!?
Paul O'Hanlon
9   Posted 03/06/2008 at 16:07:14

Don?t think the world knows who we are anymore Andy.
Ed Fitzgerald
10   Posted 03/06/2008 at 16:29:42

Andy

You think we are going to get near a league/cup and UEFA cup treble next year?? Give me some of the drugs you are on!
Tom Campbell
11   Posted 03/06/2008 at 17:23:09

Would you mind giving me that link because I cant find it plz???
Trudy Boston
12   Posted 03/06/2008 at 17:13:33

Interesting reading, but I cannot concur with some findings.

1990 - Still AC Milan, still the best football team in Europe, culminating in a defence of their European Cup, beating Benfica.
West Germany rode their luck along the way in footballs four yearly showpiece, and the final against Argentina will go down as the worst World Cup Final in living memory.

1991, France? How does that work out? Sorry if I?m a bit bemused by that. Red Star Belgrade possibly as they were the European champions. Worth a mention I would have thought.

1993- Parma, another asinine choice. Duplication of the feat we achieved in 1985 is all very well, but team of the year?

I?m looking through the rest of the list, and I could sit here all day disagreeing with the subsequent years and choices.

2005, Liverpool. Team of the year?

It?s times like this that I feel like biting my tongue. OK, our loveable neighbours did indeed (eventually) overcome the rossoneri in Istanbul in what was an epic night, but they were nowhere near the team of the year in my eyes. Credit is due for the comeback but I still say to this day that Milan thought the job was done at half time, became too complacent and were hit hard by the three goal salvo that arrived in quick succession and subsequently never fully recovered. They had a chance to redeem themselves in the shoot-out, and with it, give me an opportunity to cheer aloud from the rooftops, but in the end the worse happened from an Everton perspective, and instead I had to wait two years for satisfactory vengeance.
Lee penswick
13   Posted 03/06/2008 at 17:44:01

Tom go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everton_fc

Its under the honours list.
Mike Galley
14   Posted 03/06/2008 at 17:49:58

This takes me back. I’m sure i’ve still got a copy of the shoot magazine featuring the Blues winning this somewhere in the loft. If memory serves me right, I’m sure Brazil came second in 1985!
Jermaine J. J. Johnson
15   Posted 03/06/2008 at 18:32:14

And if you look at the 100 greatest players of the 20th century. Four of them are ex-blues. Dixie Dean, Neville Southall, Paul Gascoigne, Gary Lineker
Ray Robinson
16   Posted 03/06/2008 at 22:16:57

Just emphasises how the club’s history might have been different but for the European ban.
Tommy Gibbons
17   Posted 03/06/2008 at 23:26:51

as Ray R said re the European ban...
That is why we are so bitter, we not only had the best team in England but were perceived to be just about the best in the world at the time. This at the time when the RS where the best they?d ever been yet we outshone them!!!
Bitter and twisted till I die!
Jason Lam
18   Posted 04/06/2008 at 03:43:18

Sandwiched between Platini’s France and Maradona’s Argentina - not bad!

Sadly it’s a foregone era. Lads and Lasses, we need to look ahead. COYB.

PLEASE SIGN ARSHAVIN
Dan Parker
19   Posted 04/06/2008 at 05:04:20

It would make my century if in a years time it is ready 2008-09, Everton
Nick Entwistle
20   Posted 04/06/2008 at 08:50:59

Trudy, The Germans were awsome in 1990. Matthaus, Kilnsman, Brehme, Ilgner etc. Yeah the final was the biggest dissapointment and they took diving to a new level but they were dam good. 5-1 and 4-1 victories in the group stages, beat Holland of Van Basten and Gullit, beat and dam good Czech side then us (bastards) and well, then won the final.
Agree with you on France though...
Trevor Thompson
21   Posted 04/06/2008 at 10:53:05

That France ’91 one as baffled me too. Also, Nigeria 96 and Iraq I sort of can’t take it seriously now.