Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Home and Away kit 08-09

After reading that the new kit would be available to pre-order this Friday, I thought I'd have a look to see if there were any links and lo and behold:

Follow the link to see next season's kits. Personally, I'm not too happy, the away kit is the generic Umbro effort and West Ham already have it for next season (in different colours). Not too much change; they are decent, nothing special.
Louis Huglin, Uni of Warwick     Posted 04/06/2008 at 13:31:12

Comments

Colin McPhail
1   Posted 04/06/2008 at 13:42:11

Just stumbled across the leaked Images of the new kit's - Don't know how authentic they are, but look realistic to me. The home shirt shows the lack of Imagination of Umbro ? Why do we persist with them?...
Stuart Mitchell
2   Posted 04/06/2008 at 14:11:27

I always though puma made the best kits

Paul OHanlon
3   Posted 04/06/2008 at 14:13:26

I’m suprised we’ve taken so long to release new kits. As with other clubs we usually wear the new kit on the last game of the season, why was this not the case this season? Are we down the list of Umbro’s priority’s to design a new kit, or was it a fault of our own?

We’re never going to improve our poor merchandising income without proper marketing and distribution!
Andy Hudson
4   Posted 04/06/2008 at 14:16:15

Isn’t the home shirt just the same as our current one.. bar a minor change to the collar & the pattern down the back.

I dont mind the away one to be honest... shame its the same style as West Hams!
Stuart Mitchell
5   Posted 04/06/2008 at 14:20:59

I think they both look pretty awful, time to dump umbro me thinks!
Ant Mill
6   Posted 04/06/2008 at 14:28:22

The third kit is an illuminous yellow apparently like the Chelsea’s one. Should make them stand out anyway!
Chris Briddon
7   Posted 04/06/2008 at 14:33:35

What did you expect a new kit to look like for goodness sake. Maybe they could make it red, or prehaps black and white stripes that would be different!

The home kit is always going to look pretty much the same as if it wasn’t 99% blue there would be uproar!
Luke Dunn
8   Posted 04/06/2008 at 14:38:33

It is not that bad as Andy says (see above) it is not that diff from the existing home kit. As for away kits we are always a bit limited as regard to colours.
Carl
9   Posted 04/06/2008 at 14:39:57

Granted its got to be mostly royal blue, but its the same as last sean. Just another way to con the fans, i want to buy the new short but it would be nice if it was at least trying to be different from last year.

Also, the writing on the arm is a nice touch but would have preffered Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.
Lee Penswick
10   Posted 04/06/2008 at 14:43:54

Its just the same as all the other Umbro kits but a different colour. No individuality, no imagination. Also i think the away strip should be yellow again. Traditionally that is are away colour.
Patty Beesley
11   Posted 04/06/2008 at 14:56:52

Can?t see that it?s much different from the existing one - if you want people to swell the coffers then it should have been a ltitle different to last season?s although I do agree that there is not much scope for change. Now if it had have had that BLUE Liver Bird on it, I would have rushed to buy it!!
Tony Williams
12   Posted 04/06/2008 at 15:02:45

Looks like a fake to me, as the photo seems to have been taken in a market place and there is no hollogram label with it.

I don’t mind the back design on it though, looks almost like wings but I doubt it is the real thing
Andy Hudson
13   Posted 04/06/2008 at 15:04:02

I disagree that you can’t make it sufficently different to last seasons... Ok you can’t change the colour, but that doesn’t mean you can’t change the design. Why would anyone buy the new strip when you could quite easily wear last seasons and no-one would even notice it was out of date?

I dont want pink stripes or a massive great picture of Bill Kenwrights head on it like those t-shirts you can get with Stalin on them... but some bloody imagination wouldn’t go a miss!

Ste Johno
14   Posted 04/06/2008 at 15:01:17

Not sure if its a mock up! But if its real, then its similar to the ’Champions League’ one a couple of years ago, but without the blue collar. Now THAT was a smart top! I agree, we should have an AMBER away top, not gold or yellow! Also, Umbro need ditching pronto! boring designs mostly.
patty
15   Posted 04/06/2008 at 15:16:10

Thinking about it - this has got to be a wind up!!! Where’s the Change symbol???
Eddie grinley
16   Posted 04/06/2008 at 15:35:34

The away top, if real, is disgusting. As Ste Johno says above give me amber any day of the week, non of these pale yeloows - yeuch! One of my favourite away shirts but admitedly not everybody liked it was the navy and salmon pink stripes of a few years ago...if you know your history indeed!
Mind you, at least it isn’t as bad as that chocolate away of Coventry’s from many moons ago.
Steve Carson
17   Posted 04/06/2008 at 15:53:31

What do people want?

IF you don?t like it don?t buy it!! Surely thats the best way to tell the club we don?t care for the new kits.

As for people complaining about the design. I mean come on really is it that big a deal that there is no major changes?

most teams don?t change the overall kit by much each season.

In response to Patty. When kit is made at first there not branded with sponsors. Generally they are sent to someone else for that. The picture looks like its from the design room or mock up room anyway.
Ste Johno
18   Posted 04/06/2008 at 15:55:08

As Eddie says, the away top (if it is real that is!) is horrible! Forgot to mention it earlier, or was i just that gob-smacked?! (haha). Also, wonder what the socks are like? Hope they stay WHITE!
Mark Pendleton
19   Posted 04/06/2008 at 15:57:45

I agree with those saying that especially the home short shows a total lack of invention. I do believe that while staying true to the origins they could still create something with a bit more of it’s own identity. The last few have merged into one with me, whereas we had some good kits down the years that we could pin down to a timeframe.
Neil Styles
20   Posted 04/06/2008 at 15:59:25

Ughhhh! Every year our home kit looks exactly the same as the year before!?!?
I dont understand why the changes are so remote. Why are we with Umbro?!?!?
patty
21   Posted 04/06/2008 at 16:07:40

Thanks Steve - didn’t know that!!

Neil asks why are we with Umbro!! Why do we stick with JJB. See on the OS that our sponsors, Chang, are being dropped from Junior shirts as they would be advertising alcohol - that is brilliant!!
Sam Myers
22   Posted 04/06/2008 at 16:00:33

I don’t understand why we get a new kit every season anyway. It used to be every 2 seasons for home kits until the 125 anniversary, 100 years in top flight etc necessitated annual changes. They seem to have persisted with this since then.

I’ll buy it anyway cos I’m a mug (prob not dissimilar to the rest of the posters here), just saying....
Ste Johno
23   Posted 04/06/2008 at 16:10:10

I’d just like to see a nice traditional Royal Blue - without too much fancy crap (HOME kit), an amber (AWAY kit) and say, alternate 3rd kits, white or black etc etc.

It seems ’branding’ is more important than ever these days, so why not reflect that in the kit? Tradional stuff, none of yer new-fangled fancy-dan guff ... rant rant ... drone drone ... (hahaha)
Andy Hudson
24   Posted 04/06/2008 at 16:13:24

Sam I wont be buying it. The last one I bought was I think 2 years ago and it was just before they changed it so I think its 3 generations out of date, and the only major difference to this new one, or any of the last 2 seasons is that it has a proper collar. I actually prefer my out of date one to this one! I lot of people seem to hate the away one but at least its bloody different to last seasons!

Steve - "As for people complaining about the design. I mean come on really is it that big a deal that there is no major changes"

Yes it does matter, whats the point in changing it if it just looks exactly the same. I want a kit that stands out for being new and looks good... if i’m going to shell out my hard earned cash then I want something significantly different to last years (or even 2 seasons before that) kit! As far as i’m concerned chnaging the collar a bit and putting a fish skeleton on the back does not cut the mustard... and does not warant charging another bloody £50 for.
James Marshall
25   Posted 04/06/2008 at 16:54:35

The link doesnt work??
Luke Skelhorn
26   Posted 04/06/2008 at 16:50:10

If Everton want to re-claim their place amongst the elite, they need to consider the branding of the football club. It is time for a change and a concerted effort to get ourselves noticed amongst the top kit brands i.e. Adidas and Nike. Villa have achieved it with Nike (possibly owing to their American ownership) and if they can, so can we. Aso. why do we insist upon writing Everton underneath our famous badge. Surely that is unnecessary. Things are improving rapidly on the pitch...it is time that our branding refleced that.
Tony Williams
27   Posted 04/06/2008 at 17:01:47

Andy I am like you, the last Home shirt I bought was 2 seasons ago, before they started doing the round neck tops.

I bought the 3rd kit top last season but if that is the real thing it will be three seasons on the bounce where I have not bought the home kit
Amanda H
28   Posted 04/06/2008 at 17:41:21

Having worn the Umbro and Puma kits to play in the Umbro are far better qulaity and hold thier colour better. Anyone remeber the Puma Keijan one - the white trim on the neck was grey after a few washes.

And any way - its the quallity in the kit that counts lads. Its not a fashion show!!

Jason Lam
29   Posted 04/06/2008 at 17:44:19

Jason Lam
30   Posted 04/06/2008 at 17:44:51

I like it, prefer it to last season’s with the yellow collar and bird shit down the sides. The new away kit has that retro feel to it, reminds me of the Admiral England kit of 1982. Yes, it does look like our ’Champions’ League’ kit but that one had an iron on badge - and it’s starting to peel off now! Those that don’t like it or prefer a bland one, there’s these current umbro ones where’s there’s NOTHING except a badge and the umbro logo. Plain blue or plain white.
Karl Masters
31   Posted 04/06/2008 at 17:47:49

Looks ok to me, I just wish we didn’t change EVERY season. 2 years like everybody else please.

To be fair to Umbro they have produced some smart kits of late. Puma only produced one good one ( the 100 years one in 02/03 ), the other two, especially that first one with the white blocks under the arms was the worst one EVER!

Most important thing for me though is the WHITE SOCKS! An absolute must - we are not Ipswich, Birmingham, Leister or Millwall!
Paul Ramsey
32   Posted 04/06/2008 at 18:11:28

Fucking Shite....Got to be the worst ever!!! It just shouts no imgaination!!!
Michael Dawson
33   Posted 04/06/2008 at 18:12:01

I thought I’d heard a while back that our kit would be Nike this season, thanks to their takeover of Umbro last year.

According to this link (see the bottom of the history section), the takeover is approved and was due to be completed back in February. No updates since then, don’t know if anyone else can shed some light on this..? What’s the hold up?!
Paul Ramsey
34   Posted 04/06/2008 at 18:15:09

Can we Adults not choose to have a shirt without chang on it too if the Kids shirt doesnt have to have it???

That is positive disgrimination!!!

Think a petittion is in order!

I dont agree with the whole idea!
Shaun Nesbitt
35   Posted 04/06/2008 at 18:20:13

Only like the arm where it says ’it’s a grand old team to plat for’
James Braid
36   Posted 04/06/2008 at 19:26:25

Paul Ramsey,

I’m with you, fella. I’m thinking of starting "KCOOS" (Keep Chang Off Our Shirts, obviously).

The banner is attached and the propeller is running as we speak.

Do we need a vote first, or are we good to go?
James Braid
37   Posted 04/06/2008 at 19:29:43

Michael Dawson,

Nike bought the Umbro brand and will continue to run it as Umbro. They didn’t buy it to turn it into Nike.

We’re still with Umbro. There’s no hold-up.
Gavin Ramejkis
38   Posted 04/06/2008 at 20:15:48

I’m a little confused about the Chang removal as the Thai Beverage company are predominantly a soft drinks vendor in Thailand and the beer which the majority of us had never heard of before the sponsorship deal is only a minor part of it. I agree with moving to Nike if possible too as their kits are far better than Umbro and hold much more street credit.
Johnson Becheesey
39   Posted 04/06/2008 at 21:39:45

Worst. Kit. Ever.
Tony Williams
40   Posted 04/06/2008 at 22:13:00

It looks like it may actually be the real deal, as the Hearts kit is out, which surprise surprise is made by Umbro and is the eact same design, especially the wings?? design on the back.

It looks poor in a photo but may look alright in real life!
Robbie Muldoon
41   Posted 04/06/2008 at 22:50:00

GO RETRO AND RE-DO THE BIB KIT!
Nick Broadhurst
42   Posted 04/06/2008 at 23:12:37

Not liking the away kit personally... why did they feel they had to add those black and grey bars along the chest?? Looks ugly and outdated...

Home strip isn’t too bad though.
Kieran Doyle
43   Posted 05/06/2008 at 08:29:51

They are both shite. I’ll still be wearing last years!
Patty Beesley
44   Posted 05/06/2008 at 09:48:51

New kit to be revealed on official website at 10.00 a.m.
Ste Johno
45   Posted 05/06/2008 at 10:13:53

So, it wasn’t a mock up after all !!! ... Hmm, pity the collar wasn’t REAL though ... maybe it’ll grow on me!
Rupert Coghlan
46   Posted 05/06/2008 at 10:20:08

Amazing with a bit of editing and good photography that kit goes from being something I wasn’t keen on at all to something I really like. Big fan of the old-school socks.

The away kit however - if that is to be the real one - I can’t stand. I imagine that will be out in September at this rate!

"The shirt is anatomically cut in order to emphasise the athleticism of the player, incorporates a trilogy back panel developed to include a zonal bodymap mesh design and a twill mesh body fabric that makes the shirt lightweight and breathable."

Trilogy back panel? Zonal bodymap mesh design? Twill mesh? Sounds more like the Millennium Falcon than a football shirt.

Worried about what the back looks like having seen the pirate photos though. We shall see.
Steve Carson
47   Posted 05/06/2008 at 10:22:22

Like i said before if you don?t like it don?t buy it.

THe power of the fans is mighty if everyone who didn?t like them refused to buy them.

The reason that never works is because a lot of people who at first didn?t like it go and buy it anyway.

And then theres the rest of the fans who will buy it anyway.

Everton Know that in fact most Prem teams know it. Why make massive changes or be inventive? if most of your fans will buy it anyway.
Nick Entwistle
48   Posted 05/06/2008 at 11:46:32

I haven’t seen a kit that has bettered our Danke shirt from 1995. With a proper collar as well. I haven’t bought one since!
Fulham are introducing collars back into kits so I’m glad they stayed up.
Steve Flanagan
49   Posted 05/06/2008 at 11:52:55

I quite like the socks - a bit retro with the blue top for the white socks (however not too sure of the strip around the middle of them).
Chris Lawlor
50   Posted 05/06/2008 at 11:52:50

I have to admit, I wish our kit looked more like Chelsea’s design. The Adidas kits look so much better and actually tend to change season by season. My favourite kit was the Keijan tight fitted one from a few years ago. Still makes an appearance at our five a side!
Michael Tracey
51   Posted 05/06/2008 at 12:02:53

I don’t mind it actually it looks good. My favorite kit was the 86/87 Championship shirt with the diamond pattern in the shirt. It was the only one of its kind. I would also like to see the amber as the away kit. The Puma one from 00/01 was really good. How about Salmon for the third again?
Neil McKinney
52   Posted 05/06/2008 at 12:24:41

Really disappointed with the images! What is with this generic fucking kit! I hate seeing other teams with exactly the same shirt in slightly different colours, it’s bollox.

This is really lazy by Umbro and I have lost a lot of respect for them. I won’t get into what I think of the powers that be at EFC, but I will only accept such shoddy merchandise if the playing staff are improved and we get success on the pitch.

The Puma kit with Keijan as the sponsor was the best kit we’ve seen in a long time IMHO.

COYB!!
Damian Scott
53   Posted 05/06/2008 at 11:58:31

The home kit is quite nice, but i don’t think I’ll buy it... I’m sick of buying Everton home kits to be honest...

I think we are the only club in the premier league, probably Europe that changes their home shirt every season?

By doing this, they get the reaction like all the posts before mine, "its just like last years", "they just changed the collar a bit" etc... and they are valid statements, thats what it looks like they are doing.

At this stage, I get the home shirt every few years as they are quite similar. I got the 2005 one that we wore the season we played Villarreal and I got last seasons as it was quite nice... I don’t think I need another shirt that looks pretty much the same and I reckon a lot of people feel the same.

I would guess that they would make a lot more money on their home kits if they changed them every 2 years like all the other teams as the majority of supporters would actually buy it as it would actually seem ’new’.

I think Everton definitely need to change their policy on this. Fair enough, change the away kit every season, but the home shirt needs to stay for 2 years at a minimum.

I generally like Umbro designs. They make good quality, classic looking shirts and they do look better than a lot of the shirts that have been released recently by the likes of Puma, Reebok etc. For me though, Adidas always make quality kits and I would like to see us move to Adidas.
Steve Jones
54   Posted 05/06/2008 at 12:53:59

I agree with Damien regarding the regularity of changing the Home shirt. Since 2002 we have changed it every season, I make that 7 Home shirts in 6 years. How are the club getting away with this? The ineptitude of the people currently running our club is well documented on this website, but surely even they can find more imaginative marketing & merchandise ideas, than kit changing every year. Its true that no one is forced to shell out on these shirts, it’s personal choice. However I’m sure that if Man U tried this on, there would national debates in the media condemning the Glazers. Fortunately for me I live near Milton Keynes & never see any Everton Merchandise in any of the ’Official Partner’ JJB stores in the area. Maybe thats why they change the kit so often. Because JJB dont market the clubs merchandise outside of the Northwest, they have to compensate by flogging new kits each year in an area where they know people will be likely to buy them.
Tony Williams
55   Posted 05/06/2008 at 13:27:46

"The ineptitude of the people currently running our club is well documented on this website, but surely even they can find more imaginative marketing & merchandise ideas"

"I won?t get into what I think of the powers that be at EFC, but I will only accept such shoddy merchandise if the playing staff are improved and we get success on the pitch"

I have missed something here, I don?t entirely like the home top and I haven?t bought one for 2 seasons, after the one with the collar but how is this "shoddy" and how are the board inept?

They are making money hand over fist with the new kits, every season.

I bought the 3rd kit last year and will probably get one this year, haven?t decided which one yet, will wait for the 3rd kit again, hoping it is not the illuminous yellow that has been suggested.

However, whichever one I buy that is £40/50 to the club (via the Everton Megastore site, fuck JJB) maybe even a pair of shorts so that is money that they wouldn?t have had if they didn?t have new kits.... a bit short of being inept in my book.
James Marshall
56   Posted 05/06/2008 at 13:49:02

It looks pretty bland to me and almost identical to last years....and the year before that!

Still, if we have a good season they can all wear mankini’s for all it matters!
Alan Robinson
57   Posted 05/06/2008 at 16:44:34

Just been into JJB in Manchester; no sign of an Everton kit, new or old, in store. I can buy Chelsea, Liverpool (in abundance) Sunderland ... Tottingham! But as the store manager said "We just don't stock it............

JJB retail partner ?

This is the north's busiest shopping street and we are not represented in any way. Someone needs a rocket up their arse at Everton..............
Sadly lots of people commute to their place of work in sunny Manchester from Liverpool and the surrounding areas... for fuck's sake need I go on......?
Steve Jones
58   Posted 05/06/2008 at 18:28:11

Tony Williams says "They are making money hand over fist with the new kits, every season" I say this - Who buys the kits??? The supporters! The same supporters who bought the new kit last year & the year before!! The point I’m making, which is obviously beyond Tony, is that the Club are using a new kit each year to deflect the fact that they are totally bereft of any original marketing strategy. They are using the annual renewal of home shirts to boost turnover. The point is that the target market is always the same ............the supporters. We need to promote Everton Football Club more prominently & aggressively. Ask anyone outside of Merseyside who has won 9 Titles & who has won 3 Titles.... Everton or Chelsea?? I know from experience that people outside Merseyside, especially the Nouveau"Jeremy & Tarquin" brigade from West London have no concept or appreciation of Everton Football Club. The answer to that question from anyone I have encountered outside of Merseyside over the last 3 years is Chelsea. This is a disgrace. This has to change if we are to develop as a club in the modern era. Our history can only be matched by 3 other clubs in England. This is where we should be looking at marketing our "brand". Not recycling the same old clothing to the same old people year after year.
Ant Hill
59   Posted 05/06/2008 at 20:35:13

I love the new kit. Why? It is so ugly so I do not need to spend any of my hard earned cash to buy one!
Paul Kish
60   Posted 05/06/2008 at 22:06:32

I have to say, I have given up on buying new kit once they started to change each season, with only minor cosmetic changes.

I thought it was also against the trade act these days to change kits every season?

Anyway, I’m with Damian and Chris, Adidas make the best kits around at the moment. Anything from Nike is just generic and lacks invididuality, unless it’s made for Manure.
Owen Ford
61   Posted 06/06/2008 at 01:11:08

Firstly, has it occured to anyone that the "new kit for the season" is quite simply a money making scheme from the board and umbro who just want to take money from the pockets of the supporters. An utter joke in that respect.

Also an utter joke in the appearance, quite simply the most hideous everton shirt since the pink disaster a few years back. The patterns on the back of the shirts are shocking, and the away kits are even worse. Pathetic stripes and one of the most boring colours you will ever see. i think a 4 year old child could desgin a better shirt, than the incompetent neanderthals that made these disgraces.
Thomas Ainsworth
62   Posted 05/06/2008 at 19:15:42

A total nonsense kit & another excuse for the fans to pick up the wage tab. What's changed? Nowt.

Sorry to gripe but it's the truth. As much as I adore my Club, I will not buy it. I will don my shirt from 2/3 seasons ago. It's no different and I don't care how hardened a supporter you are, if you buy it then you have more money than sense.

1 Adult & 1 Child season ticket £700. 1 shirt for said child £29.99. 1 hotdog for child to get on his shirt £2.50. 1 drink for child £1.50. 1 Beer for me £3.10. 1 pie for me £3.00. Petrol £5.00. Multiple through the season (& without away/Europe games).... WHO IS SHAFTING WHO AND LAUGHING???

No wonder we are so important to the club. I must remember all of this the next time that prick Yakubu drives past all of the people/kids freezing their bollocks off waiting for an autograph. Still,at least he can take comfort in the knowledge that he (and some others, you know who I mean Joey Yobo) picked up their wages that they honestly grafted a 12-hr shift for.

Jason Lam
63   Posted 06/06/2008 at 08:15:39

If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. If only it was that simple. Lescott changed to no.5 and thus I ’had to’ get the 07/08 kit with his new number (and he was my fav player anyway). Then there was Baines, Pienaar. If we get Arshavin (prob unlikely) I’ll ’have to’ get the new kit with his name and no.10. Your kids would want the new kit.

I think those that are pissed off know the club is flogging a new jersey every season and holding us by emotional blackmail. There’s a bit in all of us that want every new kit, just as much as we want to watch Everton even if we play shit. It’s the extra 40-odd quid per jersey that’s the problem.
Chris Briddon
64   Posted 06/06/2008 at 10:07:47

I don?t understand what all the fuss is about with complaints about Umbro.

If you look at the Liverpool and Chelsea kits they are identical (but for the different colour obviously).

Kit manufacturers have 1 (or sometimes 2) designs and all the clubs get the same in their own colour scheme.

In fairness to Everton with the wording on the sleeve they have tried to make it different from the others in the only way they could.
Tony Part
65   Posted 06/06/2008 at 18:11:38

I actually like the new home kit.
Yes it's similar to last seasons but then again who cares what the kit is like as long as Everton have another good season and play well in it? It's got to be blue and yet people still complain but there would be real cause for complaint if it was blue with a yellow band through the middle like one we had years ago that made us look like Man City, sky blue with a yellow band, it still sticks out in memory.
Guy Wilkinson
66   Posted 06/06/2008 at 19:02:34

We have missed a major opportunity.

Our away strip should be the pink one. This would sell in it?s thousands to men, women and neutral fans - especially if we kept a clear link to the breast cancer charity - £x goes to charity for each shirt sold.

It would give us great kudos and lift our profile nationally - what Alan Robinson said...

the brand of the kit is irrelevant, the design and imagination of the commercial dept are critical.