Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Nordic Tournament

The main site claims that Jose Baxter is into the England U17s for the Nordic tournament. This is for Under-17s and involves all the Nordic countries ? plus England for some bizarre reason. Anyway, my research shows it's likely to start at the end of July and go on into August. There might be live coverage and a chance to catch a few more glimpses of our young starlet.

I'm guessing that Jack Rodwell is not in the team as no similar anouncement was made about him and perhaps he's gone into the Under-18s now. I think that there may be an Under-19s tournament too later this summer with Dan Gosling in action. I'll keep you posted.
Steve Ferns, Liverpool     Posted 04/06/2008 at 14:59:40

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Thanks for that, Steve. I'm suprised Gosling didn't get to debut for Everton last season, just one spot on the bench, I think.
Shaun nesbitt
1   Posted 04/06/2008 at 15:15:12

Micheal Gosling was got injured after he joined us. It was on the OS.
Shaun Brennan
2   Posted 04/06/2008 at 15:28:44

Technically we could qualify as a nordic nation! remeber school when we learnt of those nasty vikings setting up home here and running the place. well the north atleast.
Ben Rogers
3   Posted 04/06/2008 at 16:29:57

Why are you surprised Michael? He hardly got in the argyle team when he was there so what makes you think he is suddenly good enough for everton first team after half a season with us? he was signed as one for the future - that is still the case. I personally doubt he will ever make an impact at everton, but i’d be over the moon if he and moyes proved me wrong.
James Mako
4   Posted 04/06/2008 at 19:49:06

Ben. Good to see your confidence in a player you have obviously never seen for one minute. your opinions are so ill-judged that it makes me wonder why you even bother posting them. Gosling is one of the most highly rated young players in his position around, and in the little time he has played for us he has not only shown he has great potential but he already has alot about him to cause trouble on the wings in premiership matches. Me thinks thats were Michael was coming from.
Steve Mink
5   Posted 04/06/2008 at 20:38:48

I get more excited about a good young ’un breaking through than I do about all of the transfer gossip re: Joaquin et al.

Nothing would please me more than one of Rodwell, Gosling or Baxter getting established

On this subject, whatever happened to Stephen Schumacher? Lost track of him now. Remember when he was the Next Big Thing?
Jimmy Crack
6   Posted 05/06/2008 at 03:03:11

Steve Ferns,
Maybe you could write a monthly column or whenever about our youngsters if you have better access to information about them. I for one would love to hear about the stars of the future on a regular basis.
Erik Dols
7   Posted 05/06/2008 at 06:39:13

Steve Mink, Schumacher plays for Crewe Alexandra nowadays. Apparantely he got 21 starts and came on as a sub 3 times this season as Crewe finished 20th in the league.

Wikipedia is my friend ;)
Ben Rogers
8   Posted 05/06/2008 at 09:00:41

In reply to James - I live near Plymouth and watch Argyle as much as i watch Everton, so actually have seen him play!! Not all evertonians are from liverpool u know!! As i said - i hope the lad proves me wrong because theres nothing more satisfying than a youngster coming through, even if we did pay a bit for him
Erik Dols
9   Posted 05/06/2008 at 09:29:46

Well Ben, you never know. I live in the Netherlands and visit lots of football matches of different teams. For example, I saw Van Nistelrooij play for Den Bosch (his first club as a pro) for about 8 times in live matches. At that time he was a decent attacking midfielder with his work rate as highest asset. I thought he could go on and play for a bigger club in the Dutch premier league as Den Bosch were and are mid table in the Dutch Championship, but I never thought he would go on and be as good as he is today and has been for some 10 years. Some players just don’t excel on lower levels and need better players/coaching staff to get the best out of them. I have numerous examples of players who had a similar career, Jaap Stam signed his first professional contract at the age of 20 and still played in the lower leagues on his 23rd birthday. What I want to say: that Gosling didn’t look all too superb for Plymouth doesn’t mean he won’t do it for us.

Of course there are also numerous examples of players who look really promising in their younger years but go on to be very average players later on. Cadamarteri anyone?
Jermaine J. J. Johnson
10   Posted 05/06/2008 at 10:05:18

Jimmy Crack, your definitely talking out of your crack, what makes you think this guy has better access he is just posting information that has been on the OS. Anyone could do that.
Seth DeMerit
11   Posted 05/06/2008 at 11:19:42

I've been hearing about Gosling/Rodwell for ages now - but I've never seen them play for everton. What are they 17 now?

Real stars in the making are those guys playing at 17 for the first team and who look like world beaters. This happens once every 15 years at most for any one club. This has only ever happened once in my 21 years of supporting Everton and that was obviously Rooney, and 4 times in any English football since the late 80s, the other 3 being Gazza, Giggs and Owen.

so excuse moi if i dont get overly excited about these guys.
Mark Cassin
12   Posted 05/06/2008 at 12:06:42

If we manage to sign Ramsay we will have a great future team.

Just looking at Rodwell, Ramsay and Gosling in midfield with Vaughan and Baxter in attack could be our future ’golden generation’. Exciting stuff.
Ben Rogers
13   Posted 05/06/2008 at 12:38:26

Agree 100% Erik Dols, some players look very average for one club, but step it up when moving to a bigger club. My point was that he didn't play regularly for Argyle, and had mixed reviews from fans. Oh course that doesn't mean he will never make it at Everton, but to be surprised he didnt get his Everton debut in the second half of the season (which is what michael suggested) is an odd comment in my opinion. When Moyes said he is one for the future he meant it, but that said, it would be great for him to play a part in a couple of friendlies so Evertonians can see what hes all about.

On a different note, I do like this idea - similar to what Spurs have done in recent seasons, of trying to buy up some of the hottest British talent. Providing it doesn't eat into our kitty too much as we need players for now not the future also.

Philip McAvoy
14   Posted 05/06/2008 at 13:20:56

Moyes said that bar injury he would have got a game last season. Do we already have the rb that everyone wants?
John Lloyd
15   Posted 05/06/2008 at 14:52:03

I’m with Phil McAvoy on this lads, and heres why......

Steve Buscemi
16   Posted 05/06/2008 at 15:21:01

When is the European Under-21 Championship scheduled? Have England qualified and might we have some Everton youth players involved?
Erik Dols
17   Posted 05/06/2008 at 15:47:52

Steve Buscemi, I don?t think they have that tournament this year because of the Olympics.
Steve Ferns
18   Posted 05/06/2008 at 17:19:31

JJ Johnson. Your right. I just posted something I read off the official site, and then did a quick search around on google.

So, no I’m no expert on youth matters. However, there are loads of people who attend reguarly at Widnes to watch the reserves and a few used to turn up at Netherton to watch the kids. Perhaps one of the regular attendees maight want to write a regular report. I know Michael has been after someone for ages and usually has to cobble something together based off the echo and main site match report.

Anyway, what little I’ve seen of Rodwell has been impressive. He is quite similar to Steven Schumacher in that he is a "cultured" centre half. Schuey never made it because he was not tall enough or strong enough to be a top level centre half and not skiled enough to be a top level central midfielder. Jack Rodwell, on the other hand is about 6 foot.

As for breaking into the side. Why is it that the next superstar has to be playing reguarly at 17 or 18? Seriously how many players can you name who made a big splash at 17 or 18 and were still going strong into their 30s? Seriously it doesn’t happen.

Consider: Owen, Fowler, Baggio, Del Perio, and Jeffers closer to home. Most of them have faded in their 20s or had long spells in the wilderness like Baggio. I know Del Perio has struggled with injuries, but his best days were before he was 21. The only player I can think of is Giggs.

So, I would rather Rodwell came through slowly, developed over time. Found his correct position, be it classy centre half or holding midfielder. And as for Baxter, he’s only just turned 16 so expect nothing from him in the next 12 months in terms of the first team. I would be worried if things were so bad we had to throw a 16 year old into action.
Chris Smith
19   Posted 05/06/2008 at 18:21:11

Steve Ferns, I don’t want to nitpick too much but Del Piero just claimed the Serie A golden boot for the first time in his career at the age of 33
Jermaine J. J. Johnson
20   Posted 05/06/2008 at 19:32:04

S. Ferns, I don’t know what possessed you to adress me there, when my little crack was at Jimmy Crack. And also do not appreciate it when people try informing me on issues i knew before them, and in a few cases in your previous post i know for a fact you are slighlt off the truth.
Didn’t mean to nitpick tho.
Craig Tomasinski
21   Posted 06/06/2008 at 01:19:23

It would be good to have someone put something together about the youth and reserves when they play. The OS is not really reliable when it comes to these games. Sometimes you see something sometimes you don?t.
By the way, a lot of people are talking about Baxter, Rodwell and Gosling. Obviously these guys sound like the most likely to come through the system and get a game. What I do not hear about are the likes of John Irving who I believe has won the last 2 reserves best player awards. So is it possible the likes of him could make a breakthrough as well or are there any others of note? Would be good to know.
Jermaine J. J. Johnson
22   Posted 06/06/2008 at 13:24:31

I’ll be awaiting the call. And by the way who is this Michael you refer to Steve?
Michael Kenrick
23   Posted 06/06/2008 at 14:34:43

He?s talking about me, JJJJ, and the Reserves pages I maintain on this website. Steve Milne used to do Reserves reports for us but the Official Site and the icLiverpool site provided basic coverage that I collate into these pages. All the games of the season on one page, so you can search for names like Gosling, Rodwell, Baxter... and see what they have been doing.