Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

New assistant... Watto?

With all the rumours that have been flying around about Steve Clarke and various others to be appointed as Moyes number two, it makes me wonder why we are not looking closer to home.

In my opinion, we have an ideal canditate in Dave Watson: he even managed us for a short time in the nineties after Royle's departure, he is an Everton legend due to the years of outstanding service he gave the club as a player, and I think he would instantly command the respect of the players.

He left on good terms at the end of his playing career, loves the club, and too my knowledge is not currently working in the football world.

Of course he may want to enjoy his retirement and may not be interested, but surely he would be worth sounding out...
Leigh Sadler, Essex     Posted 06/06/2008 at 12:01:27

Comments

Jimmy Millican
1   Posted 06/06/2008 at 13:57:36

I dont think we can argue if we get in Steve Clarke:

1. proven track record

2. will have a knowledge tap of all the youngsters and stars Chelsea will have been looking at.

3. Install same winning mentality that Moyes is falling short on.

4. Worked with some top top managers so the experience is there.

To me that will be an improvment as well on Alan Irvine.
Paul Ramsey
2   Posted 06/06/2008 at 14:05:31

I would like to reiterate the comments of Jimmy.

Clarke is a very good assistant, claim to be the best if non one of the best in the premiership. He will improve the team no end. Definately an inprovement on a very good assistant in Irvine. A step forward off the field is as good as one on it!

Your points for Watson were all sentimental. It does not make footballing sense and would offer nothing moyes could not accomplish himself. Legend but not good enough to be Evertons assistant manager.

Steve Clarke please!
Jay Harris
3   Posted 06/06/2008 at 14:08:50

Agree with Jimmy.

The game is changing so rapidly these days and has become a "Young Man’s game"

Much as though I love Watto and his father who I used to drink with in Hightown we need somebody who is currently in tune with the modern game.
Paul Evans
4   Posted 06/06/2008 at 14:06:33

Dave Watson was the guest at the Denbigh Branch of the supporters club last month. He is currently working for his ex team-mate Steve Bruce at Wigan in youth development. He was asked this very question but revealed no interest in becoming a manager/assistant. His plan is to move more into property.
John Murphy
5   Posted 06/06/2008 at 14:53:20

I have heard it is going to be Davie Weir
Harry Charles
6   Posted 06/06/2008 at 15:26:43

Well John Murphy, you've heard Dave Weir, then I've heard Duncan Ferguson.
Mark Pendleton
7   Posted 06/06/2008 at 15:32:40

I don’t doubt his experience but i just don’t like Clarke. I remember hearing interviews with him when he stepped in for Mourinho and it was embarrassing how he tried to be exactly like the "special one" but failed miserably and sounded pathetic. I prefer the rumour of Steve Round who is very well respected by players and other managers alike.

In truth though i believe whoever Moyes chooses he’ll make the right decision.
Godfrey Jones
8   Posted 06/06/2008 at 16:12:13

Waggy's tenure as manager was utterly shambolic... I watched every match... The lad was a great player, but is donuts when it comes to coaching... a bit like Moyes!!!

Slaven Bilic in.....
Tony Pickering
9   Posted 06/06/2008 at 19:19:40

I would prefer a coach with more attacking credentials myself.
Moyes has proved he had got everything organised regarding hard work and solid defensive play.
Adding to the strength of the backroom team with a more forward-looking assistant may make sense.
Not sure who to suggest though. Can anyone help on that?
Anthony Newell
10   Posted 06/06/2008 at 20:04:00

Jimmy, I’d further expand your point on Clarke by saying that a mentality change is just what the doctor ordered. Clarke’s already been there and done it. Maybe he can get us thinking and behaving like a top draw side because were not that many additions away from it now. I’ve said it before (Oh Christ, I’m daring to criticise Moyes again now!!! cue Stefan) but our manager needs to be assisted on his thinking, selections and tactics at times and that to me can only be a good thing. Maybe with the help of Clarke we can start being a rhinoceros in front of the headlights as opposed to a rabbit
Anthony Newell
11   Posted 06/06/2008 at 20:15:11

PS Tony P, that was the only concern I had about Clarke myself - becoming even more bloody defensive!!!

Who to assist with a more forward looking approach? a difficult one that but I would answer it by saying the actual player signings themselves. If we go for additions in midfield in the form of Van der Vaart, SWP, or Arshavin then you would hope that we will naturally make the transition to a more forward looking side
Mike Cleave
12   Posted 08/06/2008 at 15:11:10

A few weeks ago on Sky Sports News, it said that Dave Watson had been appointed as Head of Youth Team at Wigan