Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Orlando Engelaar

After watching the Holland game tonight, I must say that Orlando Engelaar how had a great game in my opinion seems just the sort of player we are looking for, tall, box to box, can pass and tackle and is an asset at any set pieces whether defensive or attacking.

I hope Moyesey noticed his performance as well, the main stumbling block would be that his team FC Twente has just qualified for the Champions League. On the plus side, there is talk of them hiring Steve McClaren so they would probably sell seeing as they haven't got a clue what they are doing!!!
Michael Ward, Jersey     Posted 09/06/2008 at 22:10:48

Comments

Ben Jones
1   Posted 09/06/2008 at 19:58:02

As we are now having problems finding a replacement for Lee Carsley, how about Orlando Engelaar, who is currently playing for Holland against Italy. He just seem to fit the bill perfectly. He has enormous physical presence as he is 6"5, he is a terrific tackler and his key attribute is his range of passing. Even though he is playing at the Euros and he will be well watched around Europe, his club is FC Twente and I can't imagine he would cost no more than prices quoted for Huddlestone.
Ron Joynson
2   Posted 09/06/2008 at 21:39:51

Just seen the ideal Carsley replacement playing for Holland. 28 year old FC Twente Midfielder - Orlando Engelaar. At 6ft 6 ins, he completely dominated the midfield area and made his presence felt throughout a great game against Italy. What a great replacement he would be for "the Cars". Anyone agree?
Niall Clinton
3   Posted 09/06/2008 at 22:06:42

I'm sure I'm not the only Evertonian watching the Euros and trying to pick out that midfield general that we're crying out for but I didn't expect to find one so soon.

Orlando Engelaar in the Dutch midfield was simply awesome. At 6"4' he has the physical presence we need and his passing and ability on the ball stood out in a game with Pirlo, Gattuso, Scneider, Van Der Vaart etc. Having never heard of him before I googled him and the bad news is that he's already off to Schalke for £6.4 million. His coach at FC Twente is taking over there and the first thing he did was take the big man with him. One wonders how much he would cost after the tournament if he keeps this level of performance up!

As ever this is Football Manager type chat but as we all wait for Moyes to make the move it's hard not to wish for what we can't have and inevitably what we won't have!

Stuart Reid
4   Posted 10/06/2008 at 00:26:21

Everyone knows we need new midfield players and I reckon Orlando Engelaar of FC Twente and Holland would be a great signing. I've seen him a few times, notably against Wales and tonight against Italy and he looked ace, capable of playing the Carsley role or pushing forward. He can pass and at 6 foot 6 would add some much needed height.

I don't know if any of the big clubs playing in the Champions League are after him - I presume the likes of PSV would be with him being in the Dutch national side, but I'm not sure. Dutch players are usually a reasonable price.

Chris Dottie
5   Posted 10/06/2008 at 06:51:32

Nice try guys, but according to the Sunday Telegraph and their interview with Ruud Gullit highlighting Orlando’s magic, he followed his Twente manager in signing for Schalke before the tournament...
Ralph Wetzels
6   Posted 10/06/2008 at 07:59:40

Orlando will play for Schalke 04 next season.
Martin Cutler
7   Posted 10/06/2008 at 07:59:20

My question is this......is he 6?4", 6?5" or 6?6"?

:-)
Mark Cassin
8   Posted 10/06/2008 at 08:30:52

He is going to Schalke with his current manager...
Erik Dols
9   Posted 10/06/2008 at 08:37:24

Schalke has had a bid of ?8 mil (£6.4 mil) rejected so all talk of him definately going to Schalke is a bit premature. If he plays a good tournament I can see him going to another club. Porto apparantely bid £9 mil for him last winter (and got rejected obviously) and the lad signed a new contract since then. Don’t expect him to go on the cheap, although talk is he has a minimum fee release clause of about £11-12 mil in his contract. As long as he has a starting eleven in a winning Dutch side, Twente will hold out for that amount.
Andy Hudson
10   Posted 10/06/2008 at 09:02:46

He looked good but I didn't think he was as amazing as some on here seem to think...

He didn?t put that many tackles in during the game and seemed to be more of a playmaker then a defensive midfielder... in fact it was De Jong who was playing the enforcer role in front of the back 4.

He also was tidy in possession, but pretty much passed backwards or sideways whenever he had the ball. On the few occasions he did pass forwards he gave the balla way about 50% of the time. Overall a decent player but apart from his height I didn't see that many attributes to make him a world class defensive midfielder. For the money I?d buy Fernandes for the playmaker role everyday of the week... although I?m pretty excited about the Moutinho rumour if it's true!
Erik Dols
11   Posted 10/06/2008 at 09:23:01

Shaun, Affelay is one of the greatest talents in Holland. Ever since we’ve been linked to Bradley and someone said Bradley was the best midfielder playing in the Netherlands I said that Affelay was far far better. He would be a great signing although he needs to grow phisically.

However Affelay will not leave PSV this summer, and I expect him to leave for a Champions League playing club in Italy, Spain or England. So if we qualify for the CL next year we’ll have a chance ;-)
Shaun Nesbitt
12   Posted 10/06/2008 at 09:28:12

Erik Dols, It?s worth a try. Even though he only played 15 mins yesterday I saw enough to suggest his going to be some player in the future. Van Basten is going to take over as manager at PSV after the Euros. We should make a move for him before then. Personally I think he?ll be better player then Ramsey. Ramsey has decided to go to Arsenal and play in the reserves with Walcott!!
Tom Abdy
13   Posted 10/06/2008 at 10:08:57

Shaun, I think van Basten is taking over at Ajax, not PSV. At least that’s what they said on the commentary last night.
Connor Rohrer
14   Posted 10/06/2008 at 10:13:30

He did look the part but I’ve got a feeling he’s off to Germany. Thats what I’ve heard anyway.
Shaun Nesbitt
15   Posted 10/06/2008 at 10:33:51

Thanx Tom my mistake
James Marshall
16   Posted 10/06/2008 at 10:56:48

I see Aaron Ramsey has chosen Arsenal - no big surprise we didnt get him.

I love transfer speculation almost as much as watching football itself.
David Rodaway
17   Posted 10/06/2008 at 11:40:13

Oh the talk of summer transfers. Lets all make believe its FM and we have an endless pot of money, its much more fun that way
Ian Daily
18   Posted 10/06/2008 at 13:13:51

Get a grip lads, you?ve seen him play for an hour and a half and your talking about buying him for £10 million.... even McFadden looked good against Italy.
John McKie
19   Posted 10/06/2008 at 13:23:50

I agree that the big man looked good last night. However, as correctly stated by some people, it was one game and there must be a reason he has not been heard of until the age of 28.

On the cheap, great signing, but I wouldnt pay the £7m being touted.

I agree with somebody who posted earlier, De Jong looked more the player we need. Very effective holding midfielder that simply broke up the play and allowed the more flaired players to control the game.

Its also the first time I’ve really watched Sneijder and I have to say he looks class. Not that we have a chance with him.

Joau Moutinho looked good for Portugal too but is he really what we need? He seems very similar to Arteta and is not very physical or tall and I feel this must be the priority in our midfield.

Random shout... but what to people think of James Harper at Reading? A friend mentioned him the other day and I think there is potential in that suggestion.

For me though (and I know its all dreams and speculation), the signings have to be Arshavin, Fernandes (one year loan, then buy next year) and Darren Bent.

Then buy a young, cheap, promising, British Centreback and I then dominating midfield physical presence we crave (Gilberto at Arsenal is another contender for me).
Shaun Nesbitt
20   Posted 10/06/2008 at 13:50:04

John, Sneijder went to Real Madrid last summer for £18mill from Ajax. You're right, we got no chance. I watched him couple of years ago in the same team with Peanuts and he was awesome back then.
Mark Pendleton
21   Posted 10/06/2008 at 14:06:44

I thought he looked a class act and exactly what we’re looking for and although i didn’t realise a move to Schalke is already on the cards i did see he’s almost 29 and should be too old for what we’re looking for.
Robert Jones
22   Posted 10/06/2008 at 15:58:46

How many mailbag comments did you get on the man, Michael? Also a quick enquiry did you put my post on Kirkby in as a comment or did you ignore it?
Michael Kenrick
23   Posted 10/06/2008 at 17:10:59

All the usual FM dreamers responded almost in unison... Maybe a better game to play would be to lay bets as to who the next player will be to perform impressively at the Euros and cause mass mailings as to their potential in a Blue shirt?

Your Kirkby comment seemed best on one of the many Kirby threads we already had going. I added it here.
Martin Mcgeever
24   Posted 10/06/2008 at 17:53:34

I thought that Nigel De Jong played the role that Cars played for us Breaking up things in front of Back Four,He is Young and also a Big Mate of Pinheads in fact Pinhead has actually mentioned him to Moyes. He Must be worth a punt as His stock is sure to improve, regarding moutinho (just another smoke screen) We all know the way We like to do our business aka Secret squirrel.
Mark Cassin
25   Posted 10/06/2008 at 18:06:56

@Martin--it’s well known that De Jong and Pienaar were good mates at Ajax. How do you know that he has been mentioned to Moyes though--any gossip there?

Class player.
Martin McGeever
26   Posted 10/06/2008 at 18:22:08

Hi. Mark,- No real gossip!! Friend of mine does some work for Pinhead (mentions what a nice level headed guy He is)Pin Head mentioned this to him when they were discussing potential replacements for Cars.
Erik Dols
27   Posted 10/06/2008 at 20:47:11

I don’t rate De Jong that high. He’s very inconsistent, he’ll play a good match and then play two bad ones. Often he has bad spells during a game. He has the potential of being a great defensive mid but he just doesn’t seem to have the attention span needed to cope 90 minutes.

That being said, the lad played ok last night.
Michael Ward
28   Posted 10/06/2008 at 20:59:00

Re: Michael Kenrick.

I don’t think specualting on a player that had a very impressive game for Holland the other night is a bad thing Michael, I certainly don’t believe that in speculting on the player and whether he has the attributes to fit into our side makes me a FM dreamer.

We are all eagerly awaiting some news not only on summer signings, but on Moyesey’s contract. I believe and a few people on here seem to agree with me that the player, fits the bill exactly in what we are looking for, I didn’t realise that commenting on how a player could compliment Everton was such a ridiculous thing to do.
Stuart Reid
29   Posted 10/06/2008 at 23:57:56

If I was an FM dreamer I’d be writing in saying we should buy David Villa, Sneijder, Van der Vaart and Ribery. Perhaps Ronaldo to play just off Ibrahimovic. Suggesting a perfectly reasonable player as a good signing is not that silly.

If I was really mad I’d suggest Man City might sign Ronaldinho... oh, hang on...
Ian Daily
30   Posted 11/06/2008 at 10:13:25

That Swedish right back had a stormer last night - let's sign him eh lads?
Shaun Nesbitt
31   Posted 11/06/2008 at 10:21:16

I watched the Spain game yesterday and was impressed with Senna. He broke up so many attacks and let the fowards do the rest. He hardley gave the ball away. His like Carsley but with better passing ability. I thought he was the unsung hero in that Spanish side yesterday. He kept everything simple. Win the ball and give it to the flair players. Let them do the rest. Think he would be a good shout.