Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

We Shall Not Be Moved

One of the great memories for me of watching Everton in the glorious 1980s was the annual FA Cup semi-finals at Villa Park. Mainly because of the atmosphere generated in the way that only Evertonians can on such occasions. One of the contributing factors to this was the playing of the Seekers 'We Shall Not Be Moved' before the match (or was it at half time, I can't remember?)

I can't ever recall this being played at Goodison, at least not in recent years. Surely it would be an improvement on the frankly embarrasing 'It's a Grand Old Team'? Opinions please.

Oh, and by the way, it's on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XY6BHLGyUM
Dave Griffin, Liverpool     Posted 09/06/2008 at 23:25:50

Comments

Michael Brien
1   Posted 10/06/2008 at 07:21:04

Dave -I remember the association of the song with Everton began in the 1960s and the 1966 FA Cup win. My first season ticket was for the following season 1966-67 and was a present for my 9th birthday - the old main stand and was £8.40 as we would put it now!!!

I recall the song being played at Goodison before matches ? not sure if at League matches or just Cup ties. I was only able to get to the one FA Cup game that season ? mind you not a bad game: Liverpool in the 5th round!! The fans used to sing the song quite a lot during matches that season ? especially during the period of the Cup run and not just at Cup matches.

I agree that it would be good to play the song at Goodison before matches ? especially Cup matches of whatever competition.

John Beesley
2   Posted 10/06/2008 at 07:49:29

I wouldn’t have thought there is any chance of ’We shall not be moved’ being played at Goodison in the foreseeable as due to the paranoia of our club they would interpret this as some sort of rallying call about the move.
Adam Cunliffe
3   Posted 10/06/2008 at 07:54:02

Whilst I agree that We Shall Not Be Moved is a song we sing regularly in the stand (There?s a cracking vid on YouTube of us all singing it in Nuremburg http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=n1-qkjEvpMc) however, I disagree about If You Know Uour History being embarrasing. It sounds a bit silly coming from the loudspeaker but when we actually sing it ourselves it is very good song IMO. Also I think the Banks of the Royal Blue Mersey is a great song with good tradition.
Paul OHanlon
4   Posted 10/06/2008 at 09:00:09

The "If you know your history" song played over the speakers is embarrising. It’s supposed to be a song of defiance to the RS, not some happy little sing-along around a camp fire song! It sounds tacky and cheap.

They’re now using it on City to advertise the new kit launch and it makes me cringe every time I hear it. Don’t we have professionals in charge of our advertising campaign? It’s worse than the adverts made in one of the task on the Apprentice!
Seamus Murphy
5   Posted 10/06/2008 at 10:33:17

Completely disagree Paul O'Hanlon. I don't think the song is embarrasing at all and actually thought adding the piece to the kit was very clever. But each to their own I suppose
Eric Myles
6   Posted 10/06/2008 at 11:29:09

Given the Destination Kirkby scenario I don?t think "We shall not be moved" is in Billy and Keith's Hot 100 at the moment.
James Marshall
7   Posted 10/06/2008 at 12:27:08

I think we should sing ’Altogether Now’ by the Farm.
Peter Roberts
8   Posted 10/06/2008 at 13:00:38

James, were you not around in 1995 when we sang that song for the Cup Final.

As for WSNBM, I?ve found us singing that after the Zenit match and both Fiorentina goals. It gets sung quite a bit towards the players, maybe we ought to aim it towards the Director?s Box?
Paul OHanlon
9   Posted 10/06/2008 at 14:33:50

Seamus, totally agree with you that it was a good idea adding it to the kit itself (although why have it hidden away?). Just don’t like the Billy Marr song they use on the radio advert
James Marshall
10   Posted 10/06/2008 at 15:01:20

Peter I was joking.

I was there for the ’89 cup final when we sang WSNBM like demons during the break in 90 minutes and extra time as well, which I have to say is one of my fondest memories - that and Stuart McCall slamming one home on the volley!
Brian Finnigan
11   Posted 10/06/2008 at 15:55:12

Let’s loook to the future for our songbook but I bet that it will contain mainly songs harking back to past times. Does Billy Maher do a cover version of ’The Leaving of Liverpool’? There won’t be a dry eye in the place when we sing about leaving the City and the ground that was the home of Dean,Lawton, Mercer, Labone,Young and Ball and hosted the likes of Pele, Garrincha, Bene and Florian Albert.
Jay Harris
12   Posted 10/06/2008 at 16:20:24

Brian
you forgot to mention the great Eusebio who scored 4 at GP to rescue the Portuguese who were losing to Korea?
Tony Marsh
13   Posted 10/06/2008 at 18:26:03

If the Kirkby deal is done and dusted lets adopt a Talking Heads song.

Were On The Road To Nowhere has a nice ring to it
Ray Robinson
14   Posted 10/06/2008 at 19:08:00

I well remember WSNBM from the 60’s when it was our direct answer to "You’ll never walk alone". I also rememebr at that time a version of the "Mighty Quinn" by Manfred Mann.

Maybe "I’m Living in the Past". As for Mr. Marsh, "Heaven knows I’m miserable now".

Personally I would like to hear "Something Good" by the Utah Saints. It really lifts my spirits and I always used to play it before going to matches in the days when we were always fighting relegation.

"It’s a Grand old team" is a great singalong song at the end of a match when we’ve won but, in my opinion, it’s actually a bit of embarrassment when played without crowd participation.

We do need something in addition to Z cars to lift the atmosphere before a game. Just don’t bring back those bloody bagpipes!
Sean Condon
15   Posted 11/06/2008 at 01:49:41

?Banks of the Royal Blue Mersey? is streets ahead of the awful ?If You Know...?
...and give Tony M a break; it?s the off-season for fuck sakes.