Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Miguel Veloso

So I see that we will win the race for Miguel Veloso's signature. Now I'll be honest, I'd never heard of him so a little research via the internet (Wikipedia, etc) reveals that his CV is good but if the other teams linked with him come in for him, will we again be disappointed?

Oh, by the way, a bid of 25 million euros (£19.8m) will secure his signature. Hmm... now where will we find THAT sort of cash?
Matt  Kay, Manchester     Posted 11/06/2008 at 16:53:58

Comments

Alan Doyle
1   Posted 11/06/2008 at 19:46:58

Fabulous player. Think a young Roy Keane and you get the picture. Frankly, I?d be surprised were he to pick us over the other teams he?s been linked with however if Moyesey can get in early and tie him up before the Euro?s finish then maybe we can get him? He wont be cheap so will possibly blow our entire budget for the summer...personally I?d take a gamble and do just that.
A midfield of Veloso, Arteta, Peanut and Fernandes supplying Cahill and the Yak is a mouthwatering prospect...
A dream???
Brian Williams
2   Posted 11/06/2008 at 20:23:11

What I’d like to know is how we end up with a tagline of "Migual Veloso set to sign" from a reference to a piece on footballpools.com which merely mentions us in the passing.
Come on Toffeeweb, get a grip, check out the validity of "claims" and BIN the completely stupid ones FFS !
Lyndon Lloyd
Editorial Team
3   Posted 11/06/2008 at 20:38:42

Umm, read the quote, Brian:

"Everton are today closing in on the signing of Sporting Lisbon midfielder Miguel Veloso after months of speculation over the player’s future. Arsenal and Manchester United are also said to be interested but it it the Toffees who are now favourites to land the Portuguese international." (A Bola)

That’s a little more than being mentioned "in passing".

Micky Norman
4   Posted 11/06/2008 at 20:41:21

Maybe they mean the Everton in Chile.
Paul Whitehouse
5   Posted 11/06/2008 at 20:47:58

Who?s ?A Bola?...... Rocky?s mentally disabled brother?!!
Robert Jones
6   Posted 11/06/2008 at 21:16:49

Surely I must be dreaming, hold on a sec, pinched myself and its still up, YOOOO, when I went on holiday to Lisbon over my summer holidays I watched 2 Sporting games and he was absolutely fantastic in them and that was way before he started impressing the likes of Man U , please god don’t be another white herring, if we sign this lad and Arshavin I strongly believe we will have one of the strongest if not largest midfield in the league,

Arshavin--Veloso--Arteta--Pienaar
Cahill
Yakubu

I’d say he’s more like a young Vieira than Keano tbh Alan.
Vasco Teixeira
7   Posted 11/06/2008 at 22:00:58

Miguel Veloso is together with J.Moutinho, the most two valued players of Sporting Lisbon. He will be one of the future stars of my country. Great vision of the game, great in freekicks. Very, very talented.
But there is another kid called Yannik Djaló, same kind of player like Nanni. Watch out. I will point also to Moyes the central defender of my Portuguese Club, Vitória Guimarães. Geromel, brasilian, 21 years old. Been watching football for more then 30 years old and never watch a central defender with so much quality like him. Better, much better then Pepe or Ricardo Carvalho.
Paul Omara
8   Posted 11/06/2008 at 22:08:17

Don?t get to excited lads. We are not in for Veloso. It was an error on the website, they meant Moutinho, a story they picked up from the English press, which categorically Moyes denied on ITV tonight. So don?t expect to see either lad at Goodison anytime soon.
Robert Jones
9   Posted 11/06/2008 at 23:03:35

Paul Omara - I can?t see anything about that on the site or on the TW transfer rumours, links please, Mr Killjoy?
Lee Rogers
10   Posted 11/06/2008 at 23:40:20

I reckon you can talk of some of the foreign players that are coming to Goodison. I reckon it will be Tom Huddlestone ? DM prefers British players .
Michael Brien
11   Posted 12/06/2008 at 07:06:07

British, foreign or from the planet Zarg ? who cares as long as they are good!!!!!
Ste Kenny
12   Posted 12/06/2008 at 08:00:56

I?m getting a bit sick of hearing we wont get this one or that one all the time. For once I want us to go after a big name player and get him.

I don't care who it is or what position he plays. The reason Man City are getting Ronaldinho is because he will lift thier profile enormously and will probably pay for the majority of his wages in merchandising etc.

Big name players lift the club?s profile and this means more money coming into the club, something we are desperate for. As an afterthought, they usually improve things on the pitch as well.

Mel Leo
13   Posted 12/06/2008 at 08:52:02

According to Wikipedia, he will be joining Manchester United after Euro 2008.
Shaun Nesbitt
14   Posted 12/06/2008 at 09:19:56

Moyes will make one big signing this summer. Tom Huddleston. He's big... literally!! As usual he won?t have any money to spend. Maybe that?s one of the reason he hasn?t signed his new contract. He's waiting to see if the Board back him. Everyone should stop dreaming!!
Mark Griffiths
15   Posted 12/06/2008 at 09:24:37

Stated on Radio City today that we are after Yossi Benyoun!
Steve Hopkins
16   Posted 12/06/2008 at 09:36:08

I wouldn’t trust wikipedia particulalry as it mentions that Man U had a bid accepted on the 13th of June and to my knowledge its the 12th today. Unless of course Portugal is 24 hours ahead of us.

Not that I believe we stand a hope in hells chance of signing him
Andy Lea
17   Posted 12/06/2008 at 10:36:02

With reference to "who is A Bola" and the feeble attempt of a joke thereafter by Paul Whitehouse - my understanding is A Bola is a Portuguese newspaper and not what you suggest.
Ant Mill
18   Posted 12/06/2008 at 10:53:45

Veloso looks class I watched him for Portugal’s under 21’s alongside Fernandes in the under Euro under 21’s last summer and he scored a couple of screamers and had good vision on the ball. He needs a haircut though! Can’t see us spending that much on him, but surely Sporting would accept 10 or 12 mill? Then we’d have the remaining money on other players. It’s a tough one though who would we prefer Fernandes or Veloso, Fernandes is more skillful, but I think Veloso could be more effective with more end product.
Dave Childs
19   Posted 12/06/2008 at 12:41:58

This is ridiculous.

I do not think that we will get this chap.
Lets be more realistic....stops me from getting too excited.
Mac Smith
20   Posted 12/06/2008 at 13:12:30

Andy Lea, calm down there buddy, wheres your sence of humour gone. I dont think he was trying to be serious, or was it offensive to anyone, so reign your neck in! Its quiet on here today, it gave me smile so thanks Paul Whitehouse!
Connor Rohrer
21   Posted 12/06/2008 at 15:39:15

I doubt we’ll get Veloso. AC Milan are after him as are a few clubs. I think Moutinho would be a more realistic buy/loan than Veloso.

I’d rather have Fernandes anyway. Veloso is excellent but I prefer Fernandes. Yes Veloso is ahead of him in the Portugal squad but the only difference is he has had stability in his career whereas Fernandes hasn’t. I can see Fernandes being ahead of him in a few years.

I’d take Moutinho over both though. He’s a better player than both, a better leader and has a better attitude.
Andy Callan
22   Posted 13/06/2008 at 11:52:25

Who?

£15m?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha - don’t be silly.

Until I see players in a blue shirt on Goodison Park I will simply not listen to all this bullshit.

Don’t buy newspapers - they are full of shite.