Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Buy now....PAY NOW?

Has any one else used the Everton Mastercard to purchase season tickets on the buy now pay later deal? I did this last year, no problems. This year, however, I am getting letters off banks telling me I owe them £12 intrest payments.. Anyone else having the same problem? Or am I just feeling sorry for myself?
Andy Spence, Huyton     Posted 14/06/2008 at 10:40:42

Comments

Les Anderson
1   Posted 14/06/2008 at 14:46:03

The deal isn?t the same as last year. Last year you didn?t have to pay back anything 'til December.

This year, it's pay no interest on the season ticket, but you have to pay the minmum payment each month, that's what's different.

Like last year they added interest to the first statement when it should be 0%; phone up and they will remove it as it is a mistake on their part.

If you're paying interest becasue you haven?t made the minimum monthly payment then you're stuck.
Simple Simon
2   Posted 14/06/2008 at 14:50:23

Maybe the offer was valid for last year only, buddy. That is, many credit cards give you interest free credit on purchases for a length of time (e.g. for the first 6 months). After that time frame ends, you start paying interest on all new purchases as well as interest on previous purchases that have not been paid off. Are you sure that this credit card allows for the yearly purchase of season tickets on an interest free basis?
Simple Simon
3   Posted 14/06/2008 at 14:59:03

Looks like my theory is wrong, according to Les.
Lynne Hill
4   Posted 14/06/2008 at 19:12:54

I bought my season ticket on the Everton Mastercard. I too have received the same late payment cost. I sort of guessed that they may want the minimum payment by the deadline date each month and I tried to set up a direct debit with my bank and the Everton Mastercard Bank. Without success because the Sygma Bank would not accept payment this way. I then called Everton Mastercard on their "payment line". Got all the way through to the typing in of my card details and pressing the # key. Then it cut me off!! Tried to ring them and was hanging on for over 10 minutes twice.... then got cut off. So I used the old fashioned way and sent a cheque. Alas I received a letter on Thursday to say I've not paid anything and now I have paid interest AND a late payment fee. Plus they have now STOPPED my card.

One word..... BANKERS!!!!!!!

I am writing in to Everton and the Sygma Bank UK to complain and hopefully get my money back. In truth they did not make it clear that you had to pay the minimum payment....... but I have known other people to have the same problem with other so called "special offers or deals".
Paul Jones
5   Posted 15/06/2008 at 08:43:22

Use Barclaycard, premiership card, you never pay any intetrest providing you dont buy anything else, and you always pay more than the minimum payment, otherwise your limit drops.
Karl Masters
6   Posted 15/06/2008 at 19:43:46

Can there be a more potent mix of incompetents than something involving a Bank and Everton’s ticket office?

Sadly predictable. Read the small print.

Better still, ditch the card, switch to a Capital One Card where you can get 3% cashback for the first 3 months ( you’ll get arond £15-£20 for a Everton season ticket ) interest free for the first few months. When the interest free period is up, pay it all off and enjoy your cashback. Continue using the card and get 1% back on all you spend in the future.

Everton’s card is nothing special. Oh, and I do not work for any Bank!
David James Webster
7   Posted 18/06/2008 at 20:43:51

Same comment as before, you may find the £12 is a late payment charge, you must make the minimum payment by the due date, I found out the hard way, it is not very clear until you are stung