Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Boycott suggestion

As a season ticket holder and 'no' voter, I am becoming incresingly concerned about this Kirkby business. I know that stadium boycotts have been mooted in the past, but I feel that this is the only way to show the misguided custodians of our club the strength of feeling about this move. Obviously people are reluctant to miss a game that they have paid for, so what about organising a boycott for a televised game? At least we would be able to follow the game, albeit on TV.

This would also ensure that maximum embarrasment would be caused to the powers that be in front of a national audience. I recognise that there are drawbacks with this form of protest, but surely desperate times call for desperate measures. I certainly don't want to harm the team or the club, but I feel that nothing could be more detrimental than leaving our city.
Neil McDonald, Maghull     Posted 15/06/2008 at 20:51:23

Comments

Paul OHanlon
1   Posted 16/06/2008 at 08:37:30

I’m not sure it’d work tbh Neil. As you say, people who’ve already paid a lot of money for their tickets will be reluctant to miss a match, so I’m not sure you’d get any more than a few thousand to join you.

I think the away support’s the key. I keep hearing that to a man the regular 2 or 3 thousand who travel to each away game are against the move, so why don’t they start protesting before away games or at half time? Why not bring anti-kirkby banners the match if they’re so against it?
Tony Williams
2   Posted 16/06/2008 at 08:53:09

I can see what you are thinking Neil but I am uncomfortable with "embarassing" the team I love. You can?t exclusively embarass the board, it will also fall on the players.

What happens if we lose the game we miss, I know it is a fantasy, but what if the team needed the 12th man on that occasion and we then miss Europe by a point?

Lots of ifs and maybes but I just don?t think missing games will do anythink less but make the team suffer, not the board.
Gavin Ramejkis
3   Posted 16/06/2008 at 09:01:51

I think banners are the way to go and just as strong as empty seats where you show your view against the board and not the players. Even with a mob handed stewards show they could never pull down every banner. How about holding up a giant "Red Card Card for Kirkby", get the TV pundits talking and not as if the Sky microphones could cleverly be switched off to hide chants and songs like they are now. The cards would only need to be the same sort of size that clubs like Rangers have for displays before their Champion’s League matches this season. It’s a non violent protest that doesn’t affect safety and one which could be visually stunning.
Ralph Basnett
4   Posted 16/06/2008 at 09:11:07

NIce, Red cards at Everton!!

What next buy a redshite shirt instead of Everton to protest we have a crap shop.

Whether you are a no or yes voter unless the government calls the project in we are going to Kirkby like it or not.

Why not talk about our teams aspirations on the pitch.

Chat about potentials signings, or how well Yobo the scoring machine is doing at the moment.

Just getting bored of reading what is an inevitability!!
Sean Allinson
5   Posted 16/06/2008 at 09:23:56

We need a figurehead to pull all the various anti-Kirkby groups/protestors together. Someone who can guarantee publicity. Not necessarily a celeb, a high profile politician could do it. Even Warren Bradley. KEIOC are doing stirling work but their efforts to mobilise a protest have fallen on deaf ears so far. We need a show of strength at, say, St Georges Plateau, and if 20,000 Evertonians turned up it would be difficult to dismiss them as a loony minority. The only way to do something like that is to use the media to reach as many people as possible, and to assure them that they won?t be one of very few who turn out on the day. Get KRAG involved. Put a few Evertonian bands on make the whole event a party.

We all know that thee is alot of support for the anti-kirkby cause out there, but every time anyone tries to garner that support, only a handful turn up. A proper high profile, well organised, major demo would show the strength of feeling that exists within the city.
Gavin Ramejkis
6   Posted 16/06/2008 at 09:22:15

Ralph thats the problem with apathy, do a quick google on the Treaty of Lisbon then some digging about how Ireland kicked it into touch, a treaty that has far reaching consequences that the rest of Europe including "Golden Brown" think they can ignore it needing a unanimous vote to push it through, as the Chinese proverb says "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step", defeatism is an apathetic excuse.
Mark Stone
7   Posted 16/06/2008 at 09:53:17

Neil, I think it?s not a bad idea IF you have the ability to carrry it through. Making an announcement on her you might get - if your very very lucky - 100 people replying and backing you up. This wouldn?t make a dent. How would you get word out to say 20,000 - 30,000 Evertonians who you could be sure would back you up? The Echo (who I believe support the ground move so wouldn?t be interested?). Posters around Liverpool (Cost?). It?s a tough one mate - you're more organised than me if you could sort it out.
Carl Wright
8   Posted 16/06/2008 at 09:58:54

Neil, am with you mate. OK we have all paid our season ticket money upfront so are reluctant to keep throwing money away but its the most visible form of protest we have.

Miss one game in the hope to effect our team/club for many years to come. A sacrifice id be willing to make.

Even if all we got as a result was a re-vote? What's the bets the vote would be turned round then....
Anthony Washington
9   Posted 16/06/2008 at 10:00:08

A simple protest of walking out at half time would do, in the great scheme of things (like spending the next 100 hundred years at Kirkby). One half of a home game is not to much to bear.
Tony Williams
10   Posted 16/06/2008 at 10:09:11

Carl, this has been said before and will no doubt be said again and again and again.

Why would the club have a re-vote, it got what it wanted and how many re-votes would make you happy?

Just because you didn’t like the outcome of the ballot it doesn’t justify that you want a re-vote.

I am not trying to have a go at you. We need to stop arguing about having another vote, it has already been done and the result is in.
James McCarthy
11   Posted 16/06/2008 at 10:15:33

All of you No voters are so cock sure that you are right. Do none of you have the slightest thought that you could be wrong.
Tom Lamb
12   Posted 16/06/2008 at 10:22:08

Tony Williams

I think what most people voted for was based on a pack of lies put out by the club. Now the truth is out there for all to see there are thousands more fans who have changed their minds. And I also think if there was to be a new ballot then you, I, and Everton know the outcome would be completely different. I still can't believe that some people think this is a good move now that all the lies and bullshit have been exposed. For all you Yes voters, time is running out, and as the old saying goes be very careful what you wish for!!! Time to wake up...
Tony Williams
13   Posted 16/06/2008 at 10:48:21

Tom we are going around in roundabouts here.

I can only speak for myself and can categorically say that the Glossy Pullout and the cringeworthy clip had absolutely nothing to do with the way my vote went.

I have stated many time that I voted yes, as it was business suicide to completely throw away a seemingly affordable option for a new ground, nothing more nothing less. If the No vote won the plans for Kirkby would be done and dusted and for a club with limited options it just didn’t make any financial sense.

Why are you so certain that the vote will go the other way? Everyone thought the same way with the first vote. As I said before the vote has been taken and a result reached, just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean we should do it again.
Sean Allinson
14   Posted 16/06/2008 at 11:20:10

The fact that any future vote may turn out the other way is the main reason there will never be another vote. To ask for it is futile.
Tony Williams
15   Posted 16/06/2008 at 11:37:01

The fact that we had one in the first place was a disgusting decision by Bill and Keith.

No lose situation, if it all goes well then they look good giving us a vote on such an important issue and if it goes tits up then they can simply turn around and say "Well, it’s what you wanted!"
Ralph Basnett
16   Posted 16/06/2008 at 12:05:49

Gavin,

Please delete apathy and insert acceptance of the fact that the owners can do with the club what they want when they want as long is it is legal and have followed procedure.

To your reference of ?Lisbon Treaty? nobody owns Ireland, BK owns Everton - his train set, and can move it to where ever he wants.

As a Yes voter I cannot be a defeatist and indeed to use your quote Everton have already started on their journey to Kirkby, but its only 4 miles.
John Lloyd
17   Posted 16/06/2008 at 12:53:08

James McCarthy, yes we are right.

There is no way I’d back a stadium walkout or anything like that, that would hurt the ’TEAM’ when it is a stadium project we are wanting to hurt.
Gerard Madden
18   Posted 16/06/2008 at 13:28:29

A protest is only worth it if it doesnt get called-in right? Because if it doesnt get called-in the workmen will be on site before the season starts and it will be too late right? And the club will have signed expensive to get out of contracts running into millions ’n millions right? So wouldnt a protest attended by probably a couple o’ dozen just be a dummy spitting out exercise for the losers?
Carl Wright
19   Posted 16/06/2008 at 13:29:30

Tony: OK its a subject thats been discussed thousands(?) of times, band it maybe futile to even be discussing this again. But the glossy brochres you refer to were full of lies or non-truths which clouded and swayed a lot of peoples decisions, maybe not yours.

Business suicide would have been to reject a "free" stadium or deal of the century in a marketable area of Liverpool, cashing in on merchandising and fan base.

But this isnt the case is it!? We’re moving further away from the 5th largest tourist destination in Europe in 2008 and its going to cost us approx £100m. Business suicide is persuing this option to the detriment of the club and fan base.
Robert Jones
20   Posted 16/06/2008 at 13:24:37

Right then let me get this straight, you hope to show that you want to stay at Goodison and you’re going to do that by not going to Goodison? Irony at it’s worst!

Ralph - ’’Pleae delete apathy and insert acceptance of the fact that the owners can do with the club what they want when they want as long is it is legal and have followed procedure.’’

And you haven’t got a leg to stand on legally if they’ve done it by the book, I’m also against Kirkby but all these arguments are futile.
Dave Wilson
21   Posted 16/06/2008 at 13:05:33

Boycotting games will hurt the thing we care about most, the team, Stewards can easily confiscate cards or banners and the words of chants can be changed or later denied.
I doubt if anyone would want to break the players concentration at the start of the game, any protest would need to be peaceful - and of course legal.
What about when Kenwright takes his seat for the 2nd half we all turn our backs on him, for say 2-3 minutes? It would be symbolic, - we would be turning our back on Kirkby
Images of this will be flashed all over the papers and Telly and BK will be left under no illusions as to the way the overwhelming majority really feel.
Carl Wright
22   Posted 16/06/2008 at 13:35:11

and for the record you’re living in a dream world if you think work will have started on the site before the season kicks off!!

And you’re right about the miskate BK and KW made on putting this to vote. As all they have done is left themselves open to a revote due to the bad ballot count and the misinformation given on the run up to the vote.

Can you imagine the uproar across the country if the gorvernment ran a similar ballot the same way? There would be a revote in a matter of days.
Roy Coyne
23   Posted 16/06/2008 at 14:12:32

I have voted NO from the start and will never change my belief that moving to Kirkby will be a disaster. But sadly if it's not called in it will go a head no matter what we do and the most annoying thing about it is not Billy liar or Bully ? it's that the guy who sits next to you and supports the same team as you, just can not or will not see the danger of this move. They accept all the talk that comes from the club, close their eyes to the free stadium that's now £78 million, that the extra income from other uses won't happen as we are banned from having groups appear etc although we can let the council have the use free a hundred times etc. I find it so sad.
Bob Turner
24   Posted 16/06/2008 at 18:52:15

Carl,

Do you mean the Government shouldn’t use the Electoral Reform Society to run the ballot? And are you suggesting that politicians tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth in the run up to an election - and consistently deliver all of their promises??

Given that I believe in the move to Kirkby, I can’t believe I’m going to suggest this, because I think my suggestion will actually give you what you want - full media coverage, reduced gate proceeds and a very clear message to BK of the folly of his ways, without having an impact on the team’s performance in a vital match.

Why don’t all the "No" voters boycott the home friendly against PSV? If only 5 to 10 thousand turned up, with an organised demonstration outside the ground of the 10 to 20 thousand who don’t want to move, you’d get your message across without costing us any points.

Of course, as a Yes voter, I might query how many actually did this, but that’s up to you guys...
Gary Sedgwick
25   Posted 17/06/2008 at 01:29:28

A quick way to get the message out. Use spam mail and a virus program that will send a response to the higher ups via a trojan!

Just kidding and in no way would I condone the actions of anyone who took up this stupid piece of advice!

Richard Harris
26   Posted 17/06/2008 at 08:58:31

"Boycott suggestion"
I suggest that Geoff Boycott should handle our PR for Kirkby as he speaks his mind and surely even his tact and diplomacy would be better than Keith Wyness.......
..........and for the club employees posting under assumed names, this is IRONY !! I’m not casting under doubt on their fine achievements so far......